Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How crucial is rim width to fit tires?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-24-20, 05:56 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

I've got 700x45 Bontrager H5 tires currently on Bontrager AT750 rims, looking for a 36 spoke rim & hub. I see rims come in various widths - how crucial is rim width for a tire like this?

Thanks.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 11-24-20 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 06:35 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The range is pretty wide, here is a chart which gives some guidance, but people routinely exceed them. I run 47 and 52mm tires on 19mm rims without issue. https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 11-24-20, 07:14 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
The range is pretty wide, here is a chart which gives some guidance, but people routinely exceed them. I run 47 and 52mm tires on 19mm rims without issue. https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width
So my 45's should work on a 28mm rim? I'm not even sure what the AT-750 rims are.
Old 11-24-20, 07:45 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
So my 45's should work on a 28mm rim? I'm not even sure what the AT-750 rims are.
Most likely yes.
I gather you've wasted the Bontrager rim and are now looking to replace it with one that will use the same size tire?
There are a bunch of things besides rim width that you'll need to consider, including your ability to rebuild the wheel... give us some more info before you get yourself in trouble.
Old 11-24-20, 07:59 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek View Post
Most likely yes.
I gather you've wasted the Bontrager rim and are now looking to replace it with one that will use the same size tire?
There are a bunch of things besides rim width that you'll need to consider, including your ability to rebuild the wheel... give us some more info before you get yourself in trouble.
No, didn't waste the rim, looking for a 36 spoke rim and hub for more strength since I've been popping a spoke every 6 months or so and plan to use triple-butted spokes. There's a 700c 28mm Weinmann Schrader rim on Craigslist that looks like it would do the trick, my sense is it's about the same level of rim as the current Bontrager. They've got it set up as a front wheel at the moment but the price is reasonable. According to them it's never been on a bike. It looks new in the pics they posted.

This is a recent related thread I started.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ek-verve2.html
Old 11-24-20, 08:33 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
I think it is better to buy a good rim rather than disassemble an existing front wheel and rebuild it as a rear. You need new spokes and new 36H rear hub anyway. There are many good rims, like this one: https://www.ryde.nl/andra-35 or Andra 321 for disc brakes, Velocity Atlas https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/atlas-622 and many others.

When I built my rear wheel using Sapim Force/D-Light spokes and Shimano M525 hub with Alex DH19 rim (no eyelets, the cheapest version) I regretted it right away. The rim was <$20, and it was the cheapest part. It works, and there is nothing wrong with it, but i could have gone fancier.
Old 11-24-20, 08:47 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
There's a 700c 28mm Weinmann Schrader rim on Craigslist ...
If this is the rim you're talking about: https://www.weinmanntek.com/product/21/52
note the pertinent dimension is the inner rim width, which is 23.4mm. That would be fine for a 45mm tire.
Old 11-24-20, 10:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
That chart is very conservative. I’m running 37mm tires on 14mm wide Velocity Deep Vs and have been for ages. I regularly run 55 mm tires on 17mm Mavic XC717. It’s never been a problem. The tires aren’t going to blow off.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-24-20, 11:48 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by tyrion
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek View Post
There's a 700c 28mm Weinmann Schrader rim on Craigslist ...
If this is the rim you're talking about: https://www.weinmanntek.com/product/21/52
note the pertinent dimension is the inner rim width, which is 23.4mm. That would be fine for a 45mm tire.
Thanks - that looks more hifalutin' than the one I'm looking at which is a rim brake unit. This is the label on it.

Old 11-25-20, 12:01 AM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by csport
I think it is better to buy a good rim rather than disassemble an existing front wheel and rebuild it as a rear. You need new spokes and new 36H rear hub anyway. There are many good rims, like this one: https://www.ryde.nl/andra-35 or Andra 321 for disc brakes, Velocity Atlas https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/atlas-622 and many others.

When I built my rear wheel using Sapim Force/D-Light spokes and Shimano M525 hub with Alex DH19 rim (no eyelets, the cheapest version) I regretted it right away. The rim was <$20, and it was the cheapest part. It works, and there is nothing wrong with it, but i could have gone fancier.
The guy wants $30 for it, says he paid $60. Seems like it would be worth disassembling for that price - plus it's a close match to the appearance of the Bontrager rims.
Old 11-25-20, 04:51 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
,,,,the one I'm looking at which is a rim brake unit.
There are no functional issues at all using a rim brake rim in a hub brake wheel.
The weight penalty - If any - is also really minor.
Old 11-25-20, 05:55 AM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by dabac
There are no functional issues at all using a rim brake rim in a hub brake wheel.
The weight penalty - If any - is also really minor.
To clarify my bike uses rim brakes.
Old 11-25-20, 10:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Do your AT-750's have an ETRTO printed on them? That is the internal width of your rim. My son's AT-650's have the ETRTO on them.

If you are breaking a lot of spokes on that rim, then are you certain you are keeping them correctly tensioned? My local shop which has a pretty decent wheel guy doesn't charge very much to check all the spokes and adjust where needed. Usually I only have to take the wheel to them once and it's good till I want to replace it.

My son's AT-650's did loosen up quite a bit after he rode it 300 miles. One wheel tacoed on him and he had to replace it. But since having the shop go over the wheel, it's stayed in good shape.
Old 11-25-20, 01:02 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Thanks - that looks more hifalutin' than the one I'm looking at which is a rim brake unit. This is the label on it.

The "ERTO 622x19" indicates 19mm internal width. The label also suggests a tire size range of 28mm - 35mm, but a 45mm wide tire will work fine.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 11-25-20, 01:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That chart is very conservative. I’m running 37mm tires on 14mm wide Velocity Deep Vs and have been for ages. I regularly run 55 mm tires on 17mm Mavic XC717. It’s never been a problem. The tires aren’t going to blow off.
Agreed.
Old 11-25-20, 06:12 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That chart is very conservative. I’m running 37mm tires on 14mm wide Velocity Deep Vs and have been for ages.
It probably depends on the tires too. I had some 37s on 13mm rims and they felt like I was riding on water balloons around corners. The rim labels recommended 25mm max tire size... 28s feel good though.
Old 11-25-20, 09:31 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
The guy wants $30 for it, says he paid $60. Seems like it would be worth disassembling for that price - plus it's a close match to the appearance of the Bontrager rims.
I was trying to say that you should spend more on the rim, not less. Anyway, a decent hub like Deore M610 can be had for $30, fancy double/triple butted spokes are about $50. Do not cheap out on the rim. I checked the info on Weinmann 519, it is a single wall rim. It will go out of true easier, and retruing it by playing with spoke nipples will result in uneven tension -- one of the factors leading to spoke breakage. IMO building with this rim and triple butted spokes is like driving a BMW and wearing a suit from Walmart.

For my build that I mentioned I got Alex DH19 because it is specced on Surly LHT. You can get something like Alex Adventurer 2 (https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=89776 -- $35 + shipping, product page: https://alexrims.com/products/adventurer2/) -- it is double wall, and the inner width is 21, which is ideal for the 45mm tires according to the chart. It also has machined sidewall and not too deep profile, it should match your front rim well.

Or you can get Ryde Andra 30 for 20 Euros + 20 Euros shipping: https://www.bike24.com/p2230467.html (not sure if there are American distributors) -- that will make a super strong (and a bit heavier) wheel.

This is what a quick search gives, there should be other good double wall choices as well.

figure stolen from 700c - Rims Weinmann 700c 519
Likes For csport: