Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Preparing For Charity Ride

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-17-21, 09:06 PM
SpectrumTi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts

In about 5 weeks I will be participating in a two day 160 mile charity ride on generally flat terrain. I have been riding around 125 miles or so per week throughout 2021, but have not been able to do more than a handful of 50+ mile efforts.

Should I be concerned about the lack of longer rides? It has been hard to find the time for those. What would you recommend for the next month or so?
Old 08-18-21, 03:59 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
That's going to be a rough 12 hours for you if you have not been able to do at least 3/4 of those miles up to this point. I'd plan for a SAG after 1/4 the way in.
Unless you can click off 160 miles this week, followed by a few 80's, I'd just wing it.
Old 08-18-21, 04:25 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
If the two day 160 mile ride means roughly two 80 days and you have been doing some 50+ mile rides, you should be fine. Think of an 80 mile ride as a 25 mile ride after a rest stop at 55 miles!

Since you have time, try to do two long days in a row, just to see how you feel the second day. You might want to use some chamois butter or change how much you eat/drink, etc.

But, take advantage of the rest stops and you should be fine.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 08-18-21, 04:36 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectrumTi
I have been riding around 125 miles or so per week throughout 2021, but have not been able to do more than a handful of 50+ mile efforts.
Can you expand on this statement? What causes you to ride less miles than you started out to ride? Time constraints? Sore butt? Fatigue? Apathy? Making small fit adjustments or a new saddle or maybe just a new pair of shorts might help.
I happen to think you will do fine on your charity ride, given decent weather and what not.
Old 08-18-21, 04:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
City-to-Shore, by any chance? Guess based on your user name. If so, how many riders are they expecting this year?
Old 08-18-21, 05:32 AM
SpectrumTi

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Can you expand on this statement? What causes you to ride less miles than you started out to ride? Time constraints? Sore butt? Fatigue? Apathy? Making small fit adjustments or a new saddle or maybe just a new pair of shorts might help.
I happen to think you will do fine on your charity ride, given decent weather and what not.
Primarily time constraints. I find it easy to squeeze in a twenty five mile effort, but much harder to find the time to double that. With Covid, I’ve found myself doing almost all the miles solo, which isn’t particularly motivating. Finally, in bad weather, Zwift is great, but 2 hours of that is mind numbing.
Old 08-18-21, 05:34 AM
SpectrumTi

Originally Posted by indyfabz
City-to-Shore, by any chance? Guess based on your user name. If so, how many riders are they expecting this year?
Yes, City-to-Shore. Not sure how many this year, but I would expect a good turnout after last year being cancelled.
Old 08-18-21, 05:52 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
In about 5 weeks I will be participating in a two day 160 mile charity ride on generally flat terrain. I have been riding around 125 miles or so per week throughout 2021, but have not been able to do more than a handful of 50+ mile efforts.

Should I be concerned about the lack of longer rides? It has been hard to find the time for those. What would you recommend for the next month or so?
You'll be fine.

I did 187 miles in one day earlier this year and had not had a ride longer than 34 miles in my legs.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-18-21, 06:36 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I too believe you'll be fine, as long as you are comfortable on your bike. Longer rides are really just a matter of pacing yourself and staying hydrated and fueled. Do this and the only thing that can prevent you from doing the two 80 mile days is body aches on the bike.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-18-21, 07:16 AM
indyfabz

Yes, City-to-Shore. Not sure how many this year, but I would expect a good turnout after last year being cancelled.
As a 23 year veteran of the event (I retired several years ago), here is my advice, some of which is offered not knowing whether you have done the ride before or not:

1. Ride within yourself. Don't fall into the trap of trying to keep up with faster people early on. You might burn out in the later miles. Remember that there is little coasting on the ride because of its mostly flat nature. You are going to have to pedal the overwhelming majority of the time. The first year I did the ride (1992) I was rooming with a guy who tried to keep up with much faster people and ended up hurting his knee. His parents drove some 3 hrs. from the Scranton area to pick him up that night. They were pissed.

2. Take advantage of the rest stops. IIRC, there is no more than ~ 22 miles or fewer between them. (The first one comes at around mile 18.) Load up on water, etc., but at the same time, don't linger. You don't want things to start tightening up.

3. Ride defensively. The major reason I retired is that I could no longer stand the dangerous riding when participation soared above 7,000 people. During my last year riding the event I was exactly where I should have been making a left at an intersection. Some hot head who was hell bent on not slowing down couldn't get around people on my left, so he tried to squeeze by me on the right. There was so little room he was in gravel and swiping against foliage. Nearly hit my bars. Here is how the subsequent exchange went: "If you try that again I'll knock your teeth out." "Don't threaten me." It's not a threat. It's a promise." That's when I knew it was time to say goodbye to an event I had grown to love over the years.

4. Arrive at the start as early as humanly possible. My last year I got into one of those cattle pen starting areas and waited 45 minutes before we were set free. Another reason I retired. I am not a cow.

5. Make sure you are wearing your cycling shoes when you had your luggage off. Many more than one person has arrived in street shoes and forgot to change. Once your bag gets buried under others there is almost zero chance you are going to get it back.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-18-21, 07:17 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
It's all about pace. just pace yourself.

If you end up in a 5-6 man group that knows how to rotate. That is a Bonus and 80 mile ride becomes much less.
Old 08-18-21, 07:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I too believe you'll be fine, as long as you are comfortable on your bike. Longer rides are really just a matter of pacing yourself and staying hydrated and fueled. Do this and the only thing that can prevent you from doing the two 80 mile days is body aches on the bike.
Not only that, but there's a little bit of mental conditioning, too. Having an attitude of "I want to do this!" helps. On my second century ride, I was somewhere around the 85 mile mark at a rest stop, I had just had a rest, refueled with more water & Gatorade and a snack, got up and walked over to my bike looking at it thinking, "Ugh... I have to get back on my bike and ride some more..." But then I told myself I wasn't far from the end and I could do it. And I finished it out because I wanted to. But if you let your mind tell you that you can't go on, you're not going to finish.
Old 08-18-21, 10:21 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
1. Ride within yourself. Don't fall into the trap of trying to keep up with faster people early on. You might burn out in the later miles.
+1 on that... Extremely easy to get caught up with the excitement of the event or faster riders and press yourself too hard.

Ride to Power Level, Heart Rate, or MPH... but use a measurable criteria to pace yourself and not just how you feel on the day.
If you complete your 50 milers at 9mph and think that will allow enough in the tank for the extra 30miles, stick to it.

All the best for your ride

Barry
Old 08-18-21, 10:57 AM
indyfabz

According to the vent website, there are only 3,184 registered so far. Much more manageable than when I last did it.
Old 08-18-21, 01:11 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Indy has good advice. I've only ever done one, but he first day was 97 miles from Boston, ending with three steep hills and valleys to arrive in Storrs, CT. The second day was a pretty flat 60, and a final day of about 30 or 40 into NYC. They said there were 3,000 people on the ride, but got passed by at least 10,000, including twice by one young woman with only one leg. I rode my tour bike rather than my road bike, and disciplined myself to have a little debate, if I gained on someone, about whether I really needed to pass them.
The first food and portapotty stop was mobbed. If I were to do another, I might stop at a deli for food and go behind the big green curtain to relieve myself.
It was a ride to raise money for HIV research and the turns were manned by gay motorcyclists of both (all?) sexes, often in cow or horse costumes.
Have fun.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 08-18-21, 07:21 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
You'll be in uncharted territory on this ride. I think the bigger issue will be everything but your legs. You don't want to go out too hard, of course, but if you do hopefully you'll be able to adjust and at worst you just bike slower.

On the other hand, if your feet, knees, back, hands, etc. start to hurt you might need to get off the bike and stop pedaling. My very first 100 miler my back gave out at about mile 80 and it was awful for the final 20 miles. My speed and power dropped but I'm sure a big portion of that was it was just painful to pedal.
Old 08-18-21, 07:53 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Pratt
Indy has good advice. I've only ever done one, but he first day was 97 miles from Boston, ending with three steep hills and valleys to arrive in Storrs, CT. The second day was a pretty flat 60, and a final day of about 30 or 40 into NYC. They said there were 3,000 people on the ride, but got passed by at least 10,000, including twice by one young woman with only one leg. I rode my tour bike rather than my road bike, and disciplined myself to have a little debate, if I gained on someone, about whether I really needed to pass them.
The first food and portapotty stop was mobbed. If I were to do another, I might stop at a deli for food and go behind the big green curtain to relieve myself.
It was a ride to raise money for HIV research and the turns were manned by gay motorcyclists of both (all?) sexes, often in cow or horse costumes.
Have fun.
Pelotta Boston to NYC ride, by any chance?