Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How about ”committed" instead of "serious" cyclists

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How about ”committed" instead of "serious" cyclists

Old 08-27-21, 11:50 AM
  #1  
surak
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
surak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,798

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 380 Posts
How about ”committed" instead of "serious" cyclists

"Serious" has connotations that upset a lot of people when describing/separating cyclist types. How about a new term that is less negatively loaded*, but encompasses more varieties of cyclists?

One can be:
  • Committed to an optimal cycling regime to maximize gains in the pursuit of going farther and faster
  • Committed to maximizing their enjoyment of cycling without the overhead and distraction of Watts, training effect, CdA and Crr, etc., etc.
  • Committed to looking sharp on the bike within the accepted fashion style of their discipline
  • Committed to looking casually incognito such that nobody would know that they were on a bike once they hop off one
  • Committed to riding on the best equipment they can buy with their hard-earned money
  • Committed to extracting the maximum amount of utility with the absolute minimum amount of monetary on investment
  • Committed to the aesthetic of their preferred time period of bikes
  • Committed to being their own mechanic and being self-sufficient at home and on the road
  • Committed to keeping their bike shop in business because there are more important things to invest their time and knowledge into
  • Committed to riding in whatever conditions the weather and seasons throw at them
  • Committed to not ever needlessly suffering through inclement weather
  • Committed to not letting hostile traffic conditions keep them from riding where and when they want
  • Committed to maintaining their sanity by avoiding traffic hell
What makes an uncommitted cyclist? I would say anyone who has no relationship with a bike, no part of their mind or heart taken up by bikes. Someone who couldn't care less about maintaining their bike, wouldn't be bothered if they never rode it again, doesn't think about it once they're done riding it. And simply, someone who wouldn't label themselves committed or care that others would call them uncommitted.

In that last sense, anyone who takes personal affront at not being consider a "serious" cyclist would by definition be considered personally invested enough to be a committed cyclist.

*: One connotation for "committed" that I intentionally am fine with is the level of obsession that non-cyclists would perceive to be worthy of professional psychiatric help, because yeah...
surak is offline  
Likes For surak:
Old 08-27-21, 11:55 AM
  #2  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,974

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7324 Post(s)
Liked 7,574 Times in 4,252 Posts
Originally Posted by surak View Post
"Serious" has connotations that upset a lot of people when describing/separating cyclist types. How about a new term that is less negatively loaded*, but encompasses more varieties of cyclists?

One can be:
  • Committed to an optimal cycling regime to maximize gains in the pursuit of going farther and faster
  • Committed to maximizing their enjoyment of cycling without the overhead and distraction of Watts, training effect, CdA and Crr, etc., etc.
  • Committed to looking sharp on the bike within the accepted fashion style of their discipline
  • Committed to looking casually incognito such that nobody would know that they were on a bike once they hop off one
  • Committed to riding on the best equipment they can buy with their hard-earned money
  • Committed to extracting the maximum amount of utility with the absolute minimum amount of monetary on investment
  • Committed to the aesthetic of their preferred time period of bikes
  • Committed to being their own mechanic and being self-sufficient at home and on the road
  • Committed to keeping their bike shop in business because there are more important things to invest their time and knowledge into
  • Committed to riding in whatever conditions the weather and seasons throw at them
  • Committed to not ever needlessly suffering through inclement weather
  • Committed to not letting hostile traffic conditions keep them from riding where and when they want
  • Committed to maintaining their sanity by avoiding traffic hell
What makes an uncommitted cyclist? I would say anyone who has no relationship with a bike, no part of their mind or heart taken up by bikes. Someone who couldn't care less about maintaining their bike, wouldn't be bothered if they never rode it again, doesn't think about it once they're done riding it. And simply, someone who wouldn't label themselves committed or care that others would call them uncommitted.

In that last sense, anyone who takes personal affront at not being consider a "serious" cyclist would by definition be considered personally invested enough to be a committed cyclist.

*: One connotation for "committed" that I intentionally am fine with is the level of obsession that non-cyclists would perceive to be worthy of professional psychiatric help, because yeah...

Sorry, can't commit.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-27-21, 12:11 PM
  #3  
surak
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
surak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,798

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Sorry, can't commit.
No need to sell yourself short, you are at the very least committed to sharing how much you ride in non-lycra on as many threads as possible on BF.
surak is offline  
Likes For surak:
Old 08-27-21, 12:16 PM
  #4  
Outrider1
Full Member
 
Outrider1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 278

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5, Motobecane Cafe Disc Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts
You committed a good amount of time constructing that post.
Outrider1 is offline  
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 08-27-21, 12:20 PM
  #5  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6,093
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5594 Post(s)
Liked 8,519 Times in 3,671 Posts
I'm committed to avoiding labels.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-27-21, 12:37 PM
  #6  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 18,713

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7775 Post(s)
Liked 2,713 Times in 1,436 Posts
The euphemism treadmill means this will gave a very short lifespan.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 08-27-21, 12:48 PM
  #7  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,348

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 550 Times in 341 Posts
My wife has remarked, at times, that I should be committed.
freeranger is offline  
Old 08-27-21, 12:57 PM
  #8  
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son
 
delbiker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sussex County, Delaware
Posts: 2,610

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 593 Posts
I am committed to having my bikes in top shape and just enjoying riding them. Let others worry about whatever BS they come up with. I have enough of my own without jumping on someone else's crap wagon.
delbiker1 is offline  
Old 08-27-21, 01:27 PM
  #9  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 7,689

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 887 Posts
We have a long list of names to define cyclists based on how they dress, how they look and what type of bikes they ride. Here is a partial list as I can't remember all of them : Fred, Roadie, Hipster, Elitist, Snob, Wannabe Racer Boy, Poser, Club Rider, Serious Cyclist, Real Cyclist, Bike Rider, Guy On A Bike, Leg Shaver, DUI Cyclist, Committed Cyclist, Spandex Warrior.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-27-21, 01:31 PM
  #10  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I was remanded to counseling for an unnamed offense .....my intake form listed "Disrespect and contempt for authority figures" as one of my issues. I was told if I failed I would be .....Committed to an inpatient facility !!
Rdmonster69 is offline  
Old 08-27-21, 02:09 PM
  #11  
shelbyfv
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,140
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3012 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 1,999 Posts
Committed....

IIRC, we've had at least one member who posted while in a facility. Probably "drying out" as other posts were made under the influence, as they say.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-27-21, 02:23 PM
  #12  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 35,826
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16447 Post(s)
Liked 11,222 Times in 5,449 Posts
“I’ve done my sentence, but committed no crime.”
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-21, 02:24 PM
  #13  
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
“I’ve done my sentence, but committed no crime.”
Are you in Indianapolis or just an independent Fab guy lol
Rdmonster69 is offline  
Old 08-27-21, 02:44 PM
  #14  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 7,915

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked 1,338 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
The euphemism treadmill means this will gave a very short lifespan.
But on bf, a very long thread.
pdlamb is offline  
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-27-21, 03:51 PM
  #15  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 7,689

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 887 Posts
How about omitting the word serious or committed and just using the word cyclist to describe a person who rides a bicycle.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-27-21, 03:58 PM
  #16  
BHG6
Senior Member
 
BHG6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 166

Bikes: BH G6, BMC Race Machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 71 Posts
Who on earth has time to waste on this kind of irrelevant nonsense? People who are offended by such trivial crap are constantly on the lookout for new things to be “offended” by so they’re certain to take offense regardless.

I just let them be offended - it doesn’t hurt my feels either way
BHG6 is offline  
Likes For BHG6:
Old 08-27-21, 04:11 PM
  #17  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 35,826
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16447 Post(s)
Liked 11,222 Times in 5,449 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69 View Post
Are you in Indianapolis or just an independent Fab guy lol
I used to ride an IF but graduated to an Engin in 2016 because I’m a seriously committed cyclist.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-21, 04:14 PM
  #18  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 35,826
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16447 Post(s)
Liked 11,222 Times in 5,449 Posts
Originally Posted by BHG6 View Post
Who on earth has time to waste on this kind of irrelevant nonsense? People who are offended by such trivial crap are constantly on the lookout for new things to be “offended” by so they’re certain to take offense regardless.

I just let them be offended - it doesn’t hurt my feels either way
Funny. I was thinking the same thing.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-21, 04:46 PM
  #19  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 18,713

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7775 Post(s)
Liked 2,713 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
How about omitting the word serious or committed and just using the word cyclist to describe a person who rides a bicycle.
There is utility to differentiating by how much time and other resources people re willing to dedicate to it. This gets certain people's feathers ruffled, however.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-27-21, 04:51 PM
  #20  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,945

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,068 Times in 1,387 Posts
I would commit to memory only the joys of cycling, & not the work related.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 08-27-21, 05:02 PM
  #21  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 3,228

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2017 Bear Big Rock 1, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 2,983 Times in 1,435 Posts
What's the step above committed?...obsessed? Yeah. I'm probably that. At least right now. My obsessions have been known to change from time to time.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-30-21 at 04:52 PM.
Eric F is offline  
Old 08-27-21, 05:21 PM
  #22  
frogman
Senior Member
 
frogman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 872

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
The euphemism treadmill means this will gave a very short lifespan.
Agreed !
frogman is offline  
Old 08-27-21, 05:28 PM
  #23  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,756

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 2,256 Times in 1,275 Posts
Committed to correcting everyone who is wrong on BF.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-27-21, 05:31 PM
  #24  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,432

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
We have a long list of names to define cyclists based on how they dress, how they look and what type of bikes they ride. Here is a partial list as I can't remember all of them : Fred, Roadie, Hipster, Elitist, Snob, Wannabe Racer Boy, Poser, Club Rider, Serious Cyclist, Real Cyclist, Bike Rider, Guy On A Bike, Leg Shaver, DUI Cyclist, Committed Cyclist, Spandex Warrior.
AND then there's my STRAVA ID of Psycho Johnny whose cycling exploits likely suggest that being Committed might be beneficial for my health.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 08-27-21, 05:36 PM
  #25  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 13,974

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7324 Post(s)
Liked 7,574 Times in 4,252 Posts
Originally Posted by surak View Post
No need to sell yourself short, you are at the very least committed to sharing how much you ride in non-lycra on as many threads as possible on BF.
BS. I ride in not spandex.
livedarklions is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.