Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Fx IsoZone handlebar question

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 06:44 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts

Greetings~ I develop tingling in my left hand during long rides and would like to add bar ends for hand position change ( I had luck with these in the past). I really like the Ergon gp5 grips but have been told they don't work with the Trek Isozone bar. Any ideas for an alternative???
Old 10-05-21, 11:46 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
I got caught up with that with my wife’s Verve 2. If I recall correctly the bike’s description said it had the isozone handle bar.
I removed the grips and it appeared to be a standard handle bar. The GP5 was an easy install and they are great.
Consider removing a grip and see what you are working with.
Likes For Fendertele:
Old 10-07-21, 11:52 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendertele
I got caught up with that with my wife’s Verve 2. If I recall correctly the bike’s description said it had the isozone handle bar.
I removed the grips and it appeared to be a standard handle bar. The GP5 was an easy install and they are great.
Consider removing a grip and see what you are working with.
the Verve 2 has IsoZone Grips, not bars.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 10-09-21, 03:53 PM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Originally Posted by M Rose
the Verve 2 has IsoZone Grips, not bars.
yeah, mine has the bars... bummer
Old 10-09-21, 08:14 PM
M Rose

So why don’t the G5 grips work with IsoZone bars? From the Trek description, any standard hybrid/MTN Bike grips will work on the flat IsoZone handlebars. So not sure why Ergon says that the G5 won’t work.
Old 10-11-21, 06:49 AM
eatontkd

So why don’t the G5 grips work with IsoZone bars? From the Trek description, any standard hybrid/MTN Bike grips will work on the flat IsoZone handlebars. So not sure why Ergon says that the G5 won’t work.
I'm not sure either but they're a bit pricey to take the chance. That's why I was wondering if anyone had any experience here. I could find a regular handlebar and start from scratch. The benefit of the IsoZone doesn't work for me as it has to do with being able to change positions. Besides, I have good riding gloves that take care of pad.
Old 10-11-21, 07:26 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I understand that the IsoZone bars have a scalloped-out profile which works only with Trek's proprietary IsoZone grips. Trek sells an IsoZone bar end adapter (link here), but I don't know how that works or if it could also be used to adapt traditional grips. It looks like it includes a plastic filler to return the handlebar profile to circular. Additionally, I think I've read that some owners just use normal (lock on) grips and tighten them down so they don't twist.

M Rose it may be helpful or instructive if you could just remove one of your IsoZone grips and take some pictures of the bar so we could see what it looks like. It may become clear what is necessary, if anything, to adapt other grips to the bar.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-11-21, 12:23 PM
M Rose

Originally Posted by eatontkd
I'm not sure either but they're a bit pricey to take the chance. That's why I was wondering if anyone had any experience here. I could find a regular handlebar and start from scratch. The benefit of the IsoZone doesn't work for me as it has to do with being able to change positions. Besides, I have good riding gloves that take care of pad.
try these Chinese knock-off G3’s. If they fit the G5 will fit…

Zenree 4 Tier Folding Shoe Rack,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0919MVN8B...p_mob_ap_share
Old 10-11-21, 12:27 PM
M Rose

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I understand that the IsoZone bars have a scalloped-out profile which works only with Trek's proprietary IsoZone grips. Trek sells an IsoZone bar end adapter (link here), but I don't know how that works or if it could also be used to adapt traditional grips. It looks like it includes a plastic filler to return the handlebar profile to circular. Additionally, I think I've read that some owners just use normal (lock on) grips and tighten them down so they don't twist.

M Rose it may be helpful or instructive if you could just remove one of your IsoZone grips and take some pictures of the bar so we could see what it looks like. It may become clear what is necessary, if anything, to adapt other grips to the bar.
I have the normal round bar. And the grips seam to be just normal round grips on the inside… I’ll see about taking the grips off of my wife’s Verve today or tomorrow and see if they are different.
Old 10-11-21, 12:49 PM
eatontkd

I have the normal round bar. And the grips seam to be just normal round grips on the inside… I’ll see about taking the grips off of my wife’s Verve today or tomorrow and see if they are different.
I've taken off my Iso grips and the bar has some sort of rubber compound over the end of the bar. The bar itself is indented to accommodate the rubber so the bar isn't fully metal. I think that's the issue with some grips. I wish tTrek, Bontrager wouldn't have "fixed" anything here.....
Old 10-12-21, 01:29 AM
M Rose

Originally Posted by eatontkd
I've taken off my Iso grips and the bar has some sort of rubber compound over the end of the bar. The bar itself is indented to accommodate the rubber so the bar isn't fully metal. I think that's the issue with some grips. I wish tTrek, Bontrager wouldn't have "fixed" anything here.....
my wife’s 2022 Verve is also a round bar… looks like they stopped using the ISO bars
Likes For M Rose:
Old 10-12-21, 02:48 PM
eatontkd

my wife’s 2022 Verve is also a round bar… looks like they stopped using the ISO bars
Well, maybe a trip to the LBS where I bought it.... They're good people and gave me a great deal so...
Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.
Doug
Likes For eatontkd: