Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Install U Lock - Small Framed Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-20-22, 06:47 PM
Urgr8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm at a loss as to where to install a u-lock on my daughter's bike. It's a smaller framed bike and there's no room in the obvious usual spots. I tried to upload a picture but it won't let me because I'm new. Any suggestions that are safe?

The seat is that the lowest height. And it doesn't have the cross bar at the top, but the lower angled style.

Les
Old 06-20-22, 08:02 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
This is to haul the U-lock or lock the bike up?

Twofish Lockblocks:
Likes For tcs:
Old 06-20-22, 08:21 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I usually lock it around the top tube and downtube. Show us a pic of the bike and we can find a spot.
Old 06-20-22, 08:24 PM
Urgr8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I usually lock it around the top tube and downtube. Show us a pic of the bike and we can find a spot.
Unfortunately I'm too new to post picture or links. There really isn't a top tube on this "girls" bike. The too tubes are too close together to put between the two.
Old 06-20-22, 08:35 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Urgr8
Unfortunately I'm too new to post picture or links. There really isn't a top tube on this "girls" bike. The too tubes are too close together to put between the two.
Right, I forgot that part immediately after you mentioned it.

Only place I can think of would be around the seat tube/seatpost area, or the handlebars.
Old 06-20-22, 08:48 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
If she parks or stores the bike for short periods and/or in safe places, a U-lock might not be necessary; there are some decent cable and other lock styles that are more easily mounted. There are also hip bags and sling bags that have accommodations for carrying a U-lock, if that’s the best kind of lock for her needs. Here’s a u-lock holster, for example:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...iABEgIL6_D_BwE

Last edited by Rolla; 06-20-22 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-20-22, 09:14 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Sizes that are really small or large are much less likely to be stolen. All of the XL bikes I've owned, past or present are never locked up unless I am leaving for a longer period . I leave them right outside the store for up to 20 minutes at a time and never had any issues, even in less prestigious neighbourhoods.
Old 06-20-22, 09:21 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Sizes that are really small or large are much less likely to be stolen. All of the XL bikes I've owned, past or present are never locked up unless I am leaving for a longer period . I leave them right outside the store for up to 20 minutes at a time and never had any issues, even in less prestigious neighbourhoods.
Bike thieves don't steal bikes so they can ride them. If your unlocked bike didn't get taken, chalk it up to dumb luck, not the bike size.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-22-22, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,578 Posts
Bikes that are unlocked are more likely to get stolen and are super easy targets for theft and it is a terrible idea to leave a bike unlocked. Yes nobody wants to steal drippy's bikes but that isn't a good barometer for anything. Don't get your bike stolen by listening to poor advice. I have heard from plenty of people with different sized bikes including kids bikes and really tall bikes and they have gotten stolen nothing really matters on that front you just need to lock your bike up with a good lock and good locking practices

I might consider looking at the ABUS Bordo locks as they might be easier to mount on the bike (mounting to bottle cage bosses or they will come with nice metal straps you can put anywhere or sometimes hook and loop fasteners) and carry and will also give you an easier lock time at more spots. If you are stuck on a u-lock I would put it on a rear rack or use the Two Fish mount or mount it on your seat tube in a rearward position like we do all the time.
Old 06-23-22, 08:21 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
This is the OP's bike, from their gallery: