Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Quality Custom Decals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Quality Custom Decals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 08:51 PM
rideandgoseek 

Bikes: 1974 Behringer Custom, 1975 Schwinn Paramount, 1975 Windsor Profesional, 1976 Gios Super Record, 1985 Schwinn Paramount, 1985 Trek 770, 1993 Holland Ti Custom, 2000 Tommasini Sintesi, 2001 Colnago C40, 2019 Canyon Grail AL 7.0

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 45 Posts
Quality Custom Decals?

Anyone have recommendations for getting a set of custom decals made? I'm needing to have a full set of Behringer decals made.

Thanks much!
Old 08-11-22, 08:54 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Gus Salmon.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 08-11-22, 10:07 PM
Ross200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Screen Specialty Shop Ink in West Jefferson, NC shows Behringer decal sets on their restoration page. They provide great decals. Chris Kvale recently used them restoring one of Cecil's bikes you can see on his website. Please show us yours! SSSink.com
Old 08-11-22, 11:28 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross200
Screen Specialty Shop Ink in West Jefferson, NC shows Behringer decal sets on their restoration page. They provide great decals. Chris Kvale recently used them restoring one of Cecil's bikes you can see on his website. Please show us yours! SSSink.com
Maybe things have changed but as far as I knew Screen Specialty Shop only sells decals to authorized painters and serious restorers. I was told tersely, "we do not sell any decals retail to the public. Don't waste our time or yours".

As for Gus Salmon, he specializes in custom, hard to find decals that are specialty driven. You will pay a premium for them but they will also be exceptional in the highest degree of authenticity, production and decal paper quality. In my experience, he decides if he likes you and your project is period appropriate and accurate or not enough for him. Try him but be wary.

I've had good luck with Cyclomondo on a custom creation. Velocals also is open to custom work and has slowly risen in the ranks over the years.
Likes For The Thin Man:
Old 08-12-22, 06:01 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,692 Times in 2,611 Posts
I’ve had VeloCals do custom work for me in the past. Turned out great.
Old 08-12-22, 06:49 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
Maybe things have changed but as far as I knew Screen Specialty Shop only sells decals to authorized painters and serious restorers. I was told tersely, "we do not sell any decals retail to the public. Don't waste our time or yours".
Sounds like the kind of place to get quality decals.
Old 08-12-22, 12:36 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Sounds like the kind of place to get quality decals.
As far as I know, the last place on earth to get a proper varnish-slide decal.
Old 08-13-22, 09:03 AM
rideandgoseek 

Bikes: 1974 Behringer Custom, 1975 Schwinn Paramount, 1975 Windsor Profesional, 1976 Gios Super Record, 1985 Schwinn Paramount, 1985 Trek 770, 1993 Holland Ti Custom, 2000 Tommasini Sintesi, 2001 Colnago C40, 2019 Canyon Grail AL 7.0

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 45 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've got a note out to Gus Salmon and I'll also reach out to cyclomondo and velocals in the near future.

I did come across the sssink.com set of Behringer decals that were mentioned as well but they seem to be the basic set of Behringer decals with just the script B for the headtube decal. My bike is the blue one in the pictures below. Looking closely at the remaining residue on my headtube (which is missing the entire decal) it looks like it might have had the more elaborate script B with the florets around it that is pictured on the red Behringer below (not my bike) although I can't be certain. Worth mentioning, my bike is in the process of being shipped so I still haven't seen it in person yet to examine closer.

My bike also has the 3 bells decal and the 2 world champion rainbow decals with the Behringer branding on the seat tube. I'd like to have the decals as original as possible so will most likely have to have them all custom made. I'm having a hell of a time finding high enough quality pics of all the decals to have them made.

Anyone out there with a Behringer that would be willing to take high quality pictures of your decals that I could use in the creation of mine? If I can't get good enough pics to have Gus or some other manufacturer make them I may just have to go with the sssink set of more basic ones. That is if they'd even sell them to me.

Old 08-13-22, 03:19 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
As I recall, Gus made this decal set for me, more or less as a favor. He did mention that he does not do much of the making decal thing anymore, but that was several years ago...

These are real water slide decals buried under three coats of rattle can clear and then rubbed out...
Old 08-13-22, 04:29 PM
Ross200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
The Cycling Museum of Minnesota has some Behringer bikes in it's collection and at least one has a more elaborate decal set than the SSSInk set. They might be willing to help. John Barron at VeloStuf has some Ceceil memorabilia and probably knows someone who possesses a frame with the set. Paul Wyganowski is a Behringer protege through Tim Paterak and Terry Osell and might have some ideas.
Old 08-13-22, 05:05 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,073 Posts
Just a note to add that I'm happy with the custom decals Gus Salmon made for me. He made suggestions that improved them over what I originally asked for, and delivered more than promised.

I'm also happy with Velocals and Cyclomondo for stock decals, but not custom, can't comment on them there. Mr. Softley of Cyclomondo is a cool dude, very knowlegdable and easy to work with, but factor in a delay for shipping from Australia if you're in a hurry.

Mark B
Old 08-14-22, 11:29 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I've posted this a few times over the years. If you have a local shop that does custom decals for private and commercial vehicles, they can make whatever decals you want in whatever background color (or clear), whatever ink, graphics, etc. I had this done for a vintage bike and was 100% satisfied with the quality and price. That would be my first choice. You can work directly with them on their design computers to get what you want.
Old 09-02-22, 09:06 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by rideandgoseek

I did come across the sssink.com set of Behringer decals that were mentioned as well but they seem to be the basic set of Behringer decals with just the script B for the headtube decal….
Anyone out there with a Behringer that would be willing to take high quality pictures of your decals that I could use in the creation of mine? If I can't get good enough pics to have Gus or some other manufacturer make them I may just have to go with the sssink set of more basic ones. That is if they'd even sell them to me.

too funny….a year ago I made the same request and with the help of the MN bike museum and forum member MattDiano we sent pics over to Gary at SSS ink (great guy—very helpful.)…just today he let me know they’ve upgraded their decal sheet based on our pics and measurements to include the bells and a more elaborate head badge!!! So feel free to order a set from SSS ink and tell them the extra work is paying off! Oh, and they will sell if you are someone who restores bikes and know what you are doing…I think they perhaps had some customers unfamiliar with wet application decals in the past. I’ve used their decals—top quality.
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 01-06-23, 10:46 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic

too funny….a year ago I made the same request and with the help of the MN bike museum and forum member MattDiano we sent pics over to Gary at SSS ink (great guy—very helpful.)…just today he let me know they’ve upgraded their decal sheet based on our pics and measurements to include the bells and a more elaborate head badge!!! So feel free to order a set from SSS ink and tell them the extra work is paying off! Oh, and they will sell if you are someone who restores bikes and know what you are doing…I think they perhaps had some customers unfamiliar with wet application decals in the past. I’ve used their decals—top quality.
This is who I was going to use. rideandgoseek what's the status?! Did you sort out decals?

Old 01-06-23, 10:57 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Gary over at SSSink says the sheet is ready. Not sure they have it up on their site yet or if rideandgoseek had any luck but if you copy paste the pic above Gary will know what you are referring to.
Best of luck!…
Likes For Sonofamechanic: