Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Been Any Advancements In Aluminum Frames Lately?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-22, 09:46 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts

Of course Carbon is the true wiener for light weight bicycles these days. And thank goodness Carbon prices, although inflated, are becoming reasonable for regular cyclists when selective. I am just wondering if there have been new innovations in Aluminum Frames lately.

I have to admit, at my age and weight, if I were going to go light weight I would most likely select a Carbon Touring bicycle...
Old 08-19-22, 10:25 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
To me, aluminum reached its peak when Scandium was being used 15 or so years ago, but that alloy seems to have become a relic. My Niner frame weighed 2.75 pounds AIR, and rides as well today as when it was purchased.
Old 08-19-22, 10:44 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Aluminum mostly fell out of favor because it moved from being a novelty to being seen as a cheap bike's material.
Good aluminum frames are labor intensive and expensive.
Carbon fiber got cheap, and labor got streamlined.
Craftspeople who wanted to make high-end metallic frames moved to either titanium or lugged steel, because the people who wanted to buy high-end metallic frames would pay more for them.

Scandium made some inroads because it was good stuff that held up better to industrial quick welding and didn't need heat treating, not because it had a lot of fans.

But if you're an aluminum fan and want something unique and a little old-school:
https://www.frankthewelder.com/andaris/

Frank The Welder FTW
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-19-22, 11:08 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If recently means from the oversized tube era, then yes.

Modern(er) aluminum frames are better designed and hydroforming allows for different shapes to maximize the design for a better ride. It is not going to supplant carbon fiber as the top spot, but a well designed and manufactured aluminum frame is definitely better than the ones I ride.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-19-22, 12:43 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
They'll pry my steel frames from my cold, dead hands!
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-19-22, 01:39 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Salsa is doing some stuff with aluminum that they call Class 5 Vibration Reduction System (VRS); it might just be a different way to configure the bends on the stays, but they claim there's a comfort advantage. I haven't seen or ridden it, personally.
Old 08-19-22, 01:39 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I agree that hydro-forming was/is the big quantum leap forward for aluminum frames. For a while I was commuting on a Giant Avail with hydroformed aluminum frame, and the ride was not bad at all. Another time I bought an older Performance brand aluminum bike to harvest the groupset off of. It was made up of 70XX series tubes welded together. The ride was just horrendously stiff and buzzy. I quit after going 10 miles and couldn't wait to tear up that bike. When I started riding during the Covid shutdowns, I started on a hand-me-down aluminum town bike, also built from aluminum tubes welded together. The ride was really stiff and unpleasant as well. So from my own limited experience, I think hydro-forming is the big advance. Too bad nobody has done the same with steel,
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-19-22, 03:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
I've a Specialized Chisel aluminum hard tail that is a joy to ride. Its a shaped tubing bike, had reviews of being a tad flexy but I dont notice and I'm a clyde. So you can design ride quality into aluminum and Speicalized did it with this bike. It also weighs 26.6 lbs with the SPd pedals, so is not heavy for a modern mt, bike, many are over 30 lbs, which I dont get.
Old 08-19-22, 04:15 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
At one time I had a Cannondale CAAD 4 and can remember a '90s Raleigh R500 that might have shook a filling loose and just recently if I had not know what the frame was on the new CAAD I got to try I would have swore it was some new exotic material, unreal difference.
Old 08-19-22, 04:54 PM
road292

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I notice that Trek added a higher-end model to their aluminum Domane lineup It's basically an Al frame with a 105 disc setup, and it's ~$1200 cheaper than the same model with a carbon frame

So someone must be buying Al frames with decent components.
Old 08-19-22, 05:55 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
No.
Old 08-21-22, 12:00 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Cannondale also hasn't given up on aluminum—you've got to dance with them what brung you. And my reasonably new distance bike (from Kinesis UK) is made of scandium, so that's still around. I agree that hydroforming has been the big new thing in aluminum, which allows Specialized to form the whole head tube and adjacent "lugs" as a single piece, for example.

But I've got to say, if you're looking at buying a touring bike, weight probably shouldn't be a high priority, unless you're doing ultralight credit-card touring.
Old 08-21-22, 02:57 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts

old (old) school aluminum is king !
Old 08-21-22, 04:28 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Cannondale's CAAD 10 or anything later, the current generatlion Specialized Allez, and Trek's ALR frames are the lightest aluminum frames I'm aware of. They're popular with amateur racers and sport riders on a budget, and they ride better and are lighter than lower-grade carbon. If I ever break my 10 year-old Madone 5, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with one of these. Of course, except for Trek's Domane, these are race geometries with no bosses for hanging racks and fenders.