Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Thru axles and standard sizes - a cautionary tale

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-09-22, 02:30 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts

I somehow managed to strip out the allen bolt head on one of my thru-axles. (yes... user error) Thankfully the stock thru-axle has a 5mm head on both sides, so I was able to unscrew it from the other side. I figured this should be replaced (you know... before I do the same thing to the other side), so I dial up the interwebs and type in 12x100mm thru axle and find a bunch of results. I'm about to smash the buy button on some random Amazon listing, when I notice there are different actual lengths, oh and also different thread pitches, different spacers/washers, etc. Wow.

Anyway, specs on thru-axles aren't particularly easy to find online. I found this website: https://robertaxleproject.com/ that seems like a good option, made in USA. They've got a tool that will help determine exactly what size thru-axle you need. I also learned during this process that if you pull out the thru axle, it probably has printing on it that indicates the actual size, and thread pitch. Also worth noting that my front and rear axles have different thread pitches, and the rear uses a conical washer, where the front uses a flat washer.

TLDR; if you need a new thru axle, be sure to confirm size and maybe ask your LBS for specs before buying, or check out Robert Axle Project.
Old 09-09-22, 02:57 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I somehow managed to strip out the allen bolt head on one of my thru-axles. (yes... user error) Thankfully the stock thru-axle has a 5mm head on both sides, so I was able to unscrew it from the other side. I figured this should be replaced (you know... before I do the same thing to the other side), so I dial up the interwebs and type in 12x100mm thru axle and find a bunch of results. I'm about to smash the buy button on some random Amazon listing, when I notice there are different actual lengths, oh and also different thread pitches, different spacers/washers, etc. Wow.

Anyway, specs on thru-axles aren't particularly easy to find online. I found this website: https://robertaxleproject.com/ that seems like a good option, made in USA. They've got a tool that will help determine exactly what size thru-axle you need. I also learned during this process that if you pull out the thru axle, it probably has printing on it that indicates the actual size, and thread pitch. Also worth noting that my front and rear axles have different thread pitches, and the rear uses a conical washer, where the front uses a flat washer.

TLDR; if you need a new thru axle, be sure to confirm size and maybe ask your LBS for specs before buying, or check out Robert Axle Project.
robert axle project is great. bought a few through axles from them with 100% satisfaction.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-09-22, 03:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,779 Posts
If they don't list your bike on the website, they have actual friendly and helpful humans, too.

(Almost makes me want to move to Bend, but I saw a bumper sticker that says it sucks and not to move there.)
Old 09-09-22, 06:50 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

(Almost makes me want to move to Bend, but I saw a bumper sticker that says it sucks and not to move there.)
I saw that bumper sticker literally today.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-10-22, 03:58 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
...check out Robert Axle Project.
Shortened it even more! They’re so great, I’ve even replaced stock axles with theirs when I didn’t really need to. 100% support this content, check them out.
Old 09-10-22, 06:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20800 Post(s)
Liked 9,447 Times in 4,666 Posts
Yup. I came across RAP (and the multiple TA lengths and thread pitches) a handful of years ago when I was in need of a TA for a wheel-on trainer. I went back to them when my new-at-the-time bike came with some ****** quick release TAs and I wanted to replace them with conventional TAs.
Old 09-10-22, 12:15 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I am glad thru-axles have become the norm in the industry. With all the problems QR axles had you know.
Old 09-11-22, 02:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I fail to understand why they didn't come up with a through axle standard. I guess I understand the different lengths to some extent, given that they are part of the frame/fork. But still, they could have agreed on a thread pitch.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-11-22, 06:57 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I fail to understand why they didn't come up with a through axle standard. I guess I understand the different lengths to some extent, given that they are part of the frame/fork. But still, they could have agreed on a thread pitch.
Agreed. It also seems crazy to me that my front and rear axles have different thread pitches.

Reminds me of a story someone once told me about a 1980's era Ferrari where the shop discovered that a body panel on the drivers' side used metric sized hardware, but the identical part on the passenger side was all threaded for imperial size bolts.