Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Motobecane Grand Record

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your Motobecane Grand Record

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 06:16 AM
swin1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
Swin, FWIW, I believe the original wheels on the '72 were 27", but I changed them over to 700c. Most of the stuff on this particular bike has been changed to Campy Nuovo Record, rather than stock, in keeping with the Grand "Record" part of it's name. That entailed changing to French threaded headset, bottom bracket and seatposst. The catalog spec for wheels on the'75 is also 27"
You've got some nice examples motogeek, hence your nickname. I do have some decent 27" rims but I may as well just stick with 700c. I'm most of the way through repainting my frame but going with 70s colour scheme. Here is a pic of the frame with BB and headset that will all be installed once I do one more black coat, apply decals and do the lug lining, and clearcoat. It's going to look pretty good with the full chrome fork. The best part is all threads are in perfect shape, the seat tube is clean and the frame is properly aligned so it will be easy to build up.

Old 06-20-17, 08:34 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Looking real good, SWIN. I'll be interested in hearing about how you like those decals ... are they Velocals or Cyclomundo, or someone else?

Originally Posted by swin1
You've got some nice examples motogeek, hence your nickname. I do have some decent 27" rims but I may as well just stick with 700c. I'm most of the way through repainting my frame but going with 70s colour scheme. Here is a pic of the frame with BB and headset that will all be installed once I do one more black coat, apply decals and do the lug lining, and clearcoat. It's going to look pretty good with the full chrome fork. The best part is all threads are in perfect shape, the seat tube is clean and the frame is properly aligned so it will be easy to build up.

Old 06-23-17, 09:52 PM
swin1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking real good, SWIN. I'll be interested in hearing about how you like those decals ... are they Velocals or Cyclomundo, or someone else?
These ones are Cyclomondo, the top and down tube decals are very nice transfers and the seat tube and head tube decals are stickers. Look it's all done now! I did the luglining and clear coat over the last 24 hours.

Old 06-24-17, 07:37 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Did you clear cote over the decals or put them on over the clear? Looks really nice, SWIN!!!

Originally Posted by swin1
These ones are Cyclomondo, the top and down tube decals are very nice transfers and the seat tube and head tube decals are stickers. Look it's all done now! I did the luglining and clear coat over the last 24 hours.

Old 06-24-17, 04:55 PM
swin1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you clear cote over the decals or put them on over the clear? Looks really nice, SWIN!!!
Clear coat OVER the decals on this one. I have a nice Vitus frame decal I'll put on after the paint cures. I'm now thinking it's probably best to clear over transfers which are very thin and then add thicker stickers after clear. So for this frame would have put on the head tube and seat tube stickers AFTER clear. I've added a second coat of clear and now it's coming up very nicely. I'll post another pic when it's cured and I've installed the BB/headset/fork.

This frame was a bit of a practice run for painting; I have agreed to buy a Raleigh Team Pro frame which needs a full repaint, which I'm much more confident I can paint myself now after the Motobecane. Note this is all done with spray cans, but the sandblaster I use also does 2 pack primer as the undercoat so this Moto had a good base to start with. Also, you can now buy 2 pack clear in a can so you're part of the way to a professional job albeit the quality of the color paint and the thickness of the spray! The clear comes out quite thick and hides most of the imperfections though. I wouldn't be doing all this with metallic finishes, but works well with flat colors I think.

Last edited by swin1; 06-24-17 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-15-17, 11:34 AM
Panurgist

Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Peugeot UO8, Trek 820, Motobecane Grand Record + projects

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GR717v3.jpg

Slowing getting it dialed in. I like to sit up and look around, I've tried drop bars
on this and others but it just doesn't work for me. I also tried the little mini rack
and the bag on the front but it affected the handling too much, this works pretty
well though.
Old 07-16-18, 02:16 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Another Bumblebee

I know this is an old thread, but it’s specific to these bikes so here’s my new-to-me circa 1972 Moto GR:

The frame and fork, along with the Pivo stem and handlebars, Weinmann brakes, Normandy Luxe hubs and other bits are from @Brewsmith. I put it together with the original specs in mind, so it has a Nuovo Record drive train and Atom freewheel. This was my first experience with wheel building and it went smoothly with 27” CR18 rims. The leather handlebar wrap, fenders and racks are from Velo Orange. There’s quite a bit of “beausage”, which I find charming. The Ideal saddle replaces what would have been a Brooks because I had it and it fits my butt. The fit is very nice and the shakedown rides were both smooth and lively. It generates that sunny smile that indicates a new keeper in the house.

Last edited by Honusms; 07-16-18 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 02:42 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Honusms
I know this is an old thread, but it’s specific to these bikes so here’s my new-to-me circa 1972 Moto GR:

The frame and fork, along with the Pivo stem and handlebars, Weinmann brakes, Normandy Luxe hubs and other bits are from @Brewsmith. I put it together with the original specs in mind, so it has a Nuovo Record drive train and Atom freewheel. This was my first experience with wheel building and it went smoothly with 27” CR18 rims. The leather handlebar wrap, fenders and racks are from Velo Orange. There’s quite a bit of “beausage”, which I find charming. The Ideal saddle replaces what would have been a Brooks because I had it and it fits my butt. The fit is very nice and the shakedown rides were both smooth and lively. It generates that sunny smile that indicates a new keeper in the house.

Nice work! Have you by any chance added your serial number to the Motobecane serial number database thread? I think you're right that yours is a '72. I believe they went to full Reynolds 531 tubing in '73.

Can you post of picture of your head tube also showing what's going on with that front rack? I'm curious about the head badge, but the rack is also interesting.

Old 07-16-18, 03:16 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Andy - No, I haven't yet posted the serial number. I'll look tonight and add it to the database.

Here's an oblique shot of the head tube:
Old 07-16-18, 03:31 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I went a somewhat different direction with my 1972 Grand Record. I bought it from a guy in Portland for $30 in this condition:

Since then it's become a bit of a case study in just how expensive a $30 bike can become.

First it went to Atelier Gugie for some work -- cable stops, shifter bosses, bottle cage bosses, tapping the bottom bracket for a cable guide, and re-spacing the rear dropouts. I stopped short of 650B conversion, re-raking the fork, and front rack mounts. I was young and innocent then (2016).

Then it was off to Forever Powder Coating for a little color.

Only when I added the decals from VeloCals did I realize that I had chosen the exact color scheme of "bacon flavored" candy.

My original inspiration for the colors was a raspberry and crème fraiche desert at a now defunct Hillsboro restaurant. The exact color of beige (RAL 1015) was chosen to match SKS' "latte macchiato" Longboard fenders.

Add some Campagnolo Racing T components (which I also got from @Brewsmith, incidentally), Centaur shifters, Shimano Tiagra/DT Swiss R460 wheels, and a few other bits and I had a complete bike, which cost me...a bit more than $30.

Old 07-16-18, 08:18 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
Here is my 1985 GR. A bargain buy as a bare frame/fork(Fillet Brazed Columbus SL). Purchased right before our move from Olympia, WA to Oregon in 2007. Did a kind of red lacquer powder coat that lets the metal show thru. Gave a color similar to my red Grand Jubile.

Packed it for the move, then for years I picked parts (many NOS) but didn't try to reproduce the original Triomphe group, that was long gone. Just completed it this month. Came in at 21 pounds. Thinking of putting some older style decals on it as I like the look better and it's far from stock already. Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1985-Grand-Record-3.jpg (1.63 MB, 571 views)
Old 07-16-18, 09:25 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
That bike is really sweet candy Andy. Those ornate Nervex lugs really pop & bring it all together.

I was looking for a vintage GR when I found my lugless lady. Don
Old 07-17-18, 09:55 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
Another GR for restoration

I just picked up this Grand Record from a Craigslist seller in Bremerton, WA. I will likely restore and convert this bike to 650b. In addition to the original stronglight crank and record front derailleur, it came with some nice components include Universal Super 68 brakes, campy pedals, and Suntour bar end shifters.

Old 07-26-18, 11:41 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Work in progress... 622x42 fits...
Hopefully I will have some finished shots to post before the end of summer.

Old 07-30-18, 10:26 AM
motogeek 

Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
I just picked up this Grand Record from a Craigslist seller in Bremerton, WA. I will likely restore and convert this bike to 650b. In addition to the original stronglight crank and record front derailleur, it came with some nice components include Universal Super 68 brakes, campy pedals, and Suntour bar end shifters.

Andy, check your seatpost for proper diameter. It looks like an American made Weyless and I'm not sure that they made a French diameter seat post.

I just scored another Grand Record, a '75 black w/red panels. That makes 4 in the collection now, in addition to 2 Le Champions, all from '72 to '75. And a '75 Grand Jubile mixte. And a '75 GJ frame. I'm sick.
Old 07-30-18, 04:09 PM
Andy Antipas 

Motogeek, the seat post in it was a 26.4, which is too small. I have a 26.6 for it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-30-18, 06:52 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Project...

Old 09-29-18, 04:11 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Lots of great pics on this thread. I just picked up what I believe to be a '73 Motobecane GR (the RD is date coded '72 but the main triangle and fork is 531 which likely makes it a '73). These are pics of the bike as it came to me in the "wild." It has a cheap replacement pedal on the right side and a cheap replacement saddle but the bike is otherwise I believe original. I'm looking forward to rebuilding this bike.

Old 09-29-18, 08:36 PM
Andy Antipas 

Moto GR 650b test mule

I built a set of fairly light 650b wheels and put together a test mule with mostly period parts (except for that ultegra front der.). I have got over 100 miles on the bike including a mixture of pavement and gravel roads. I'm impressed with the performance and ride. The Parimoto tires howl a bit on the pavement and I'm running 50 PSI in them. Weight as shown is about 23.5 pounds. Still wrestling with what to do next. The bike fits much like my other racing bikes. I want to try the 650b love on a larger frame that would be more in line with French fit, and I have a suitable candidate hanging on a hook....

Last edited by Andy Antipas; 09-29-18 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 12:15 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Finally rolling. Still in progress:
Gearing is not figured out yet. Trying to decide between a 2x9 setup or just putting a 17t cog on the rear with a chain tensioner and running it as a 2 speed.
Bartape is temporary. Trying to figure out setup for the mustache bars and whether I will like them long-term.
Needs different pedals. Maybe a basket.

But dang it rides nice. Tires are 700x42 (measures around 41mm) Some Supple Vitesse EX. I had to take some material off of the bottom of the centerpull mounting yoke up front to cram it in there.

Originally Posted by inkandsilver
Work in progress... 622x42 fits...
Hopefully I will have some finished shots to post before the end of summer.

Old 10-04-18, 04:48 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by inkandsilver
Finally rolling. Still in progress:
Gearing is not figured out yet. Trying to decide between a 2x9 setup or just putting a 17t cog on the rear with a chain tensioner and running it as a 2 speed.
Bartape is temporary. Trying to figure out setup for the mustache bars and whether I will like them long-term.
Needs different pedals. Maybe a basket.

But dang it rides nice. Tires are 700x42 (measures around 41mm) Some Supple Vitesse EX. I had to take some material off of the bottom of the centerpull mounting yoke up front to cram it in there.
That's a fine looking bike and impressively fat tires for an old bike. I was thinking of running 700 x 32 c tires on my Moto GR but I may go with something fatter after seeing these pics.
Old 10-04-18, 06:13 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Bought a Grand Record weekend before last and finally was able to pick it up at Fedex yesterday. Pretty sure it's a 1977 model based on frame characteristics and equipment. 77 was unique, I believe.

This is what it looked like in the seller's ad:

Stripped it and cleaned the frame this morning and was very pleased with how it cleans up. I don't know what they used for paint, but it's well done and responds very well to some light buffing with rubbing compound.

Here it is this morning, a work in progress:

Old 10-05-18, 10:06 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by desconhecido
Bought a Grand Record weekend before last and finally was able to pick it up at Fedex yesterday. Pretty sure it's a 1977 model based on frame characteristics and equipment. 77 was unique, I believe.

This is what it looked like in the seller's ad:
snip . . .,

Stripped it and cleaned the frame this morning and was very pleased with how it cleans up. I don't know what they used for paint, but it's well done and responds very well to some light buffing with rubbing compound.

Here it is this morning, a work in progress:

Sweet; the paint is in terrific shape. This bike is beautiful.
Old 10-05-18, 03:13 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Sweet; the paint is in terrific shape. This bike is beautiful.
It has some nicks in the paint, but overall, I'm very pleased with how it's coming along. The only other French bike I have is a 74 (as I recall) PR10 and this is a far superior bike both because it's 531 all over (PR10 is 3 tube) and construction/finishing. Trying to buff out the white on the Peugeot and it would go through the paint in nothing flat and wouldn't really take a good shine. It's ok, but nothing like the Moto. It buffs out as if it's lacquer, but more likely it's chemically hardened and baked enamel, but that's a guess.

In the seller's photos there were marks along the top tube that looked like it had been scratched, but to my pleasant surprise, turned out to be some light colored paint transfer from something it had been rubbed against.Careful hand buffing to avoid the gold logo, and the offending stains came off pretty easily.

I'm really impressed with this thing -- great bikes.

Last edited by desconhecido; 10-05-18 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 05:45 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
1973 Grand Record

This is the Grand Record that has been my winter project. Just finished it, did the 30 mile test ride and gave it back to its owner. I sure enjoyed this one. This is just my size too BUT not sufficiently different from my Raleigh Pro to dream about owning one of these. Perfect for me - a real nice winter project without needing to find the space to keep it.

Frame code is 64316A (1973) and the RD is Pat 71. That's why I'm saying a 1973 model though color catalogs for 73 and 74 seem to be pretty rare. Verified head badge photos for those years are rare too.

This was an actual barn find. Coated with decades of dirt, grime and mud dauber wasp nests. Rear wheel went missing long ago (but I had one that noglider gave me which suited perfectly). Its hard to tell how much is original but I suspect the Campgnolo drivetrain, Weinnman center pulls, Pivo stem and bars, the Brooks saddle and the front wheel are original. As you can see the paint came out just lovely. Several new bits and it's a great ride. The test ride was on Philadelphia's Schuylkill River Trail yesterday. Tail wind heading out and headwind heading back but otherwise a lovely spring day. The paint looks great in the sun.

The current owner will be selling this bike. If I find where (eBay, Steel is Real, etc) I'll post it in the "are you looking for one of these" thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.