Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2014 Weight Lifting!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 11:58 AM
misterwaterfall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dem glutes...
Old 11-14-14, 12:40 PM
slindell

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
Anyone have experience with pre-workout supplements, specifically those containing NO? either for weight training or for on the bike track training? And if so, what comments on the good, the bad and the ugly?? thanks
I think this type of supplement is high on the list of people getting busted for unintended ingredients so be careful when choosing brands if WADA or your health are concerns.
Old 11-14-14, 01:03 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slindell
I think this type of supplement is high on the list of people getting busted for unintended ingredients so be careful when choosing brands if WADA or your health are concerns.
I would be interested to know what the real likelihood of supplements being Tainted is...

the 2 main instances that come to mind of Masters Track Cyclist getting popped for doping were both from over the counter substances- but both had the illegal ingredient listed on the Package.. the guy who tested positive for whatever was in "Jacked3D" got a reduced sentence because the substance was on the label with an alternative name...
Old 11-14-14, 02:10 PM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The FDA has a list of what they know about. Weight loss and "male enhancement" are the most common on the list but the body building stacks show up with steroids. Whether it is enough to detect in a test is another question.
Tainted_Supplements_CDER
Old 11-14-14, 02:12 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
I would be interested to know what the real likelihood of supplements being Tainted is...

the 2 main instances that come to mind of Masters Track Cyclist getting popped for doping were both from over the counter substances- but both had the illegal ingredient listed on the Package.. the guy who tested positive for whatever was in "Jacked3D" got a reduced sentence because the substance was on the label with an alternative name...
I've heard some chatter that the original Jacked or whatever had to be toned down a bit, and the new version isn't as good(full of the harsh stuff) as the original formula. Not sure how this timeline coincides with the positive, but I wouldn't be surprised if he tested positive off of the old formula.

Having very little experience with this, I would think that it would be ok for workouts, but for longer events it might not pair so well as if you needed to compete 3 hours after taking it, you might be going downhill and crashing a bit.
Old 11-27-14, 09:47 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Aight weightlifting braniacs,

I did squats again yesterday. I've been doing 'em 2-3x/week since late September, or thereabouts. Weight is quite a bit lower than last year, to re-start myself, and I'm also making sure that I"m going lower. Last year, once the weight got up to around 1.5x bodyweight, I accidentally started glamour squatting - maaaaybe tapping parallel if I was lucky, but probably, mostly not.

This year I"m making sure I go low enough. One of the things I really feel is much more core engagement when I'm in the hole, to start the vertical movement again.

ANYWAY, yesterday, I did it, everything seemed fine, and afterward my core was sore as hell. Still is, today. Especially around the midback-flank area.

So, is this a symptom of something in particular? Why now?

THONKS
Old 11-27-14, 10:53 AM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You squatting Low-Bar? Or High Bar?

squats tend to put a lot of stress on the core. So maybe you are just feeling that again? Could be your legs are less de-conditioned than your core? You didn't squat during the race season right?

one thing I see a lot with low-bar squats is the tendency to taco over at the waist. This can be made worse if hip flexibility is bad and a lifter is trying "make depth". They will often squeak out a little more depth on the bar by dropping the head down.. And the hips stay in the same place.. This ends up looking like a sort of Squat/Good Morning hybrid... Very taxing on the low back and core..
Old 11-27-14, 11:59 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Low. and I'm reading up on the differences between the two right now.

I get a little bit of buttwink, but I think that's my body and not my form. Is that what you're describing, or is the tacoing you're talking about taking place a bit higher up?

I think I feel what you're talking about - dropping the head changes the curvature of the spin, and is a much less solid core support of the movement. Maybe that happened and stressed my core muscles?
Old 11-27-14, 12:30 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low bar squats have the least vertical torso of the 3 main squat variations (front/high/low)
based on the fact that the bar will stay centered over the foot despite where it is carried.

With the LBBS it's common to bend too much at the hip and bring the torso closer to parallel to the floor, less vertical.. That does not necessarily mean the spine is rounding.
I see people do this who have hips that are too tight to hit depth- as it feels like a lower squat, and technically the bar is lower.
This is usually followed by the hips coming up first- which brings the back even further away from vertical. If you complete the squat there will be a a big core effort to get the bar up..

youll hear people talking about the cue "chest up!" To avoid this..

Last edited by Quinn8it; 11-27-14 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-06-14, 06:17 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
working the core during squats is not unusual. just think about all the muscle groups that are in play during the exercise. i have felt the same soreness after leg day too. it went away once the muscles grew. the one thing i keep in mind is, eyes up. i.e. i look towards the ceiling. this helps keep me from bending too much at the waist. also, i pretend like i'm getting ready to sit on the commode (face it, this is usually the time when you feel leg day soreness).
Old 12-06-14, 08:07 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtdirt
working the core during squats is not unusual. just think about all the muscle groups that are in play during the exercise. i have felt the same soreness after leg day too. it went away once the muscles grew. the one thing i keep in mind is, eyes up. i.e. i look towards the ceiling. this helps keep me from bending too much at the waist. also, i pretend like i'm getting ready to sit on the commode (face it, this is usually the time when you feel leg day soreness).

This is subject to debate.
Old 12-07-14, 01:15 AM
TrackMonkey7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
This is subject to debate.
+1 I recall somewhere Mr. Rippetoe saying something to the effect of, 'As a general rule, you shouldn't move your cervical spine around while carrying a load'. Or the rest of your spine for that matter.
Old 12-07-14, 01:41 PM
Owen21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep my eyes fixed on one point, which makes me look up slightly, but my mate looks at the floor and still squats a **** loads. Each to their own
Old 12-07-14, 01:45 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
The Rippetoe line is to look at the floor about 6-7 feet ahead of you, but definitely not up. I'd like to hear Quinn's thoughts on this.
Old 12-07-14, 02:25 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rip recommends looking down to keep the spine in a Neutral Position. I think it's sound advice and how I've always squatted...
Still- you can see tons of people squatting heavy on and off the platform that look up.. So it's probably not mandatory.
Ive heard people say that looking up keeps the chest up- which is a good thing
Old 12-07-14, 02:51 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
i agree.
as i was writing that post, i got to thinkin' of my actual posture. i do look up but i would say my head is neutral (neither up or down). the "eyes up" keeps me focused on my technique.
Old 12-07-14, 05:38 PM
Owen21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look where i want to go. i.e up. If i look down it throws me off and ive squatted successfully like this for a good while now, and have been taught to do so. I dont think it matters, being comfy/being able to perform the movement well is probably more important. And yeah it helps keep my chest up
Old 01-28-15, 09:46 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've been trying to incorporate weights this off season. I've basically been reading through "Starting Strength" on my morning commutes and incorporating what I learn as I go. I finally finished reading about deadlifts and I have a real basic question. How do you start a deadlift. Like putting the weights on the bar? Is it as simple as just putting a bar on the ground and bringing over a 45lb plate and putting it on each side? Do you set up on the squat rack and do some kind of RDL to get the weight to the ground?
Old 01-28-15, 09:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by MarkWW
I've been trying to incorporate weights this off season. I've basically been reading through "Starting Strength" on my morning commutes and incorporating what I learn as I go. I finally finished reading about deadlifts and I have a real basic question. How do you start a deadlift. Like putting the weights on the bar? Is it as simple as just putting a bar on the ground and bringing over a 45lb plate and putting it on each side? Do you set up on the squat rack and do some kind of RDL to get the weight to the ground?
Start with the bar on the ground and lift one end at a time to get the plates on.

Some gyms have a deadlift jack, but that's uncommon.

Old 01-28-15, 10:43 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting interview: Pavel Tsatsouline on the Science of Strength and the Art of Physical Performance | The Blog of Author Tim Ferriss
Just for fun.
Old 02-07-15, 07:45 AM
MarkWW

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Alright, next weight training question. Do you guys typically do low bar or high bar back squats? Rip is very specific about doing low bar, but reading about it more, it sounds like high bar works the quads more, which sounds beneficial for cycling.
Old 02-07-15, 09:51 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW
Alright, next weight training question. Do you guys typically do low bar or high bar back squats? Rip is very specific about doing low bar, but reading about it more, it sounds like high bar works the quads more, which sounds beneficial for cycling.

I do high bar squats, because my back-strength is more of a limiting factor than my leg strength, and low bar engages the back far more. I'm certainly no expert though. @Quinn8it (and alot of other folk on the forum) will be able to give much more input
Old 02-09-15, 03:11 PM
MarkWW

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
thanks. anybody else have any input?
Old 02-09-15, 03:14 PM
carleton
Elitist

There are pros and cons of each. After talking with John Coffee, I like high bar.
Old 02-09-15, 03:22 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The differences are well documented, but I think pretty minimal for our (cyclist) purposes). At least for me... I squat to get stronger overall, period, not trying to adapt it specifically/narrowly to any specific aspect of cycling. I am much more comfortable with low bar, and that's the only reason I stick with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.