Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

"Dear Carleton"

Old 08-31-15, 05:41 PM
Frederico

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please excuse the ignorance, but I'm a little curious as to why Look L96's stop at M sizes. They're not catering for taller riders, or secondary adjustments (stem, handlebar, saddle position) can be made to account for the smaller frame? Cheers
Old 08-31-15, 06:51 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Frederico
Please excuse the ignorance, but I'm a little curious as to why Look L96's stop at M sizes. They're not catering for taller riders, or secondary adjustments (stem, handlebar, saddle position) can be made to account for the smaller frame? Cheers
Nobody knows.

Yes, they should make larger frames and no one knows why they don't.
Old 08-31-15, 10:17 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Probably because they wouldn't sell many, if at all. I'm 6'0" (182cm) , with a long torso, and rode a 57cm TT with a 54/55cm ST (Long and Low). Most people my height would be on a frame with a 56cm TT. The average height of the tallest people in the world (the Slavs of the Dinaric Alps) is 6'1" (185.5 cm).

You would have to be 6'2"-6'3" with a long torso like mine (and short legs) to be ruled out of riding an L96.
Old 08-31-15, 10:40 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Frederico
They probably just pump out what they have to to suit the French riders in terms of size. No doubt if a big dude made the French team and thus required a bigger frame, they might produce it. There's plenty of other options around now in larger sizes. BT is rumoured to be making a 61cm frame now. I've emailed them for geo specs but got nothing back yet.
Old 08-31-15, 10:53 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by brawlo
They probably just pump out what they have to to suit the French riders in terms of size. No doubt if a big dude made the French team and thus required a bigger frame, they might produce it. There's plenty of other options around now in larger sizes. BT is rumoured to be making a 61cm frame now. I've emailed them for geo specs but got nothing back yet.
Bauge is like 6'1" and Sireau maybe 6'3".

But, yeah, they probably get custom frames.
Old 09-01-15, 03:54 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Bauge is like 6'1" and Sireau maybe 6'3".

But, yeah, they probably get custom frames.
I remember discussing this a while back. Using some good side on photos of Sireau, you can deduce he's on the M size frame. He fits it ok, but I believe he looks a little cramped. When it boils down to it, it all depends on the physical proportions of the rider
Old 09-01-15, 07:48 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
I remember discussing this a while back. Using some good side on photos of Sireau, you can deduce he's on the M size frame. He fits it ok, but I believe he looks a little cramped. When it boils down to it, it all depends on the physical proportions of the rider
Yup. Long limbs with a short torso can get away with a shorter TT. Look at Sosenka's hour record bike and his position. He's 6'6".

Last edited by taras0000; 09-01-15 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 08:40 PM
86Champ

Bikes: Dolan, Felt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Carleton, how did you mount up your SRM PC to the stem? Recently got some Scatto's but can't use the narrow clip....still too wide for the gap between my Pro Vibe stem and where the bars start to flatten out. Got a couple of ideas new stem, make a new mount but remembered the below pic of your new ride. So how'd you do it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
16957864227_5559b4483b_b.jpg (104.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-10-15, 12:05 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 86Champ
Hi Carleton, how did you mount up your SRM PC to the stem? Recently got some Scatto's but can't use the narrow clip....still too wide for the gap between my Pro Vibe stem and where the bars start to flatten out. Got a couple of ideas new stem, make a new mount but remembered the below pic of your new ride. So how'd you do it?
I can't find it online anymore.

Basically, it's a custom thing made by a racer who is also an engineer. It mounts to the shaft of the stem and has the square mount to mate with SRM head units.

I got it back in like 2011 when the Scattos first came out. I can't find his website anymore. Maybe try posting in slowtwitch's forums. They will know.
Old 09-10-15, 01:19 AM
86Champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks I'll give them a try, failing that may try this and use a Garmin stem mount....
Garmin Male Mount (9RV4RQFAY) by Stephen_Arsenault
Old 09-10-15, 04:34 AM
carleton
Elitist

Thanks I'll give them a try, failing that may try this and use a Garmin stem mount....
Garmin Male Mount (9RV4RQFAY) by Stephen_Arsenault
I could see that working. But it'd suck to have to use epoxy to mount it to your head unit.

Maybe try 3M Outdoor Double Sided tape. It's really sturdy (doesn't budge) and is sort of gummy like old chewing gum. But it eventually releases when you pick at it a lot with your fingernail. That's what I use to tape magnets to my wheels and cadence magnets to my cranks. I've never had anything fall off my bike (knock wood).

Amazon.com: Scotch Exterior Mounting Tape, 1-Inch by 60-Inch: Home Improvement
Old 09-10-15, 06:35 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I can't find it online anymore.

Basically, it's a custom thing made by a racer who is also an engineer. It mounts to the shaft of the stem and has the square mount to mate with SRM head units.
Do you have a close up photo Carleton?
Old 09-10-15, 08:26 AM
86Champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Carelton, would definitely go the tape route if I can't source your mount.
Old 09-10-15, 04:22 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Amazon.com : K-Edge Stem Mount for Garmin Computers (Adjustable Blue) : Sports & Outdoors

½Ì±Û±â¾î : ³×À̹ö Ä«Æä

https://www.ebay.com/itm/260900207646?ul_noapp=true

Second link is barbieri carbon stem mount

If you are interested in second link mount please tell me, I am Korean who lives in US. So I can help you

Last edited by gycho77; 09-10-15 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-11-15, 02:13 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai
Do you have a close up photo Carleton?
Here you go. Sorry it took so long. Go here for full size images: https://imgur.com/a/RCbDh

Old 09-11-15, 02:17 AM
carleton
Elitist

You can barely see in this image that I use the 3M tape to keep this snug on the stem as the zip ties aren't enough to keep it from rotating around the stem when I press the buttons. Look at the grey stuff poking underneath that looks like puddy.

Old 09-12-15, 12:39 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Here you go. Sorry it took so long. Go here for full size images: https://imgur.com/a/RCbDh
Thanks. Looks interesting!

On my BT the head unit has to go under the seat so don't have the issue of fitting the standard SRM to the Scattos. My Planet X trainer bike has Easton EC90 Ergo track bars which fits the standard bracket...
Old 09-20-15, 03:29 PM
jt_uk

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey peeps

I've been lurking on these boards for about 8 months, I got into cycling as a means to get fit and track cycling apeals to me as I used to be a middle distance runner in my teens and twenties (currently 37 y.o.) . I'd like to try my hand at a track few races as a means of keeping fit and motivation. Ultimately I just want to get myself to a good level of fitness that I can maintain as I get older and track racing/training seems fun.

I've been using a cheap Fuji track comp for the past few months, doing sprints and short fast rides to build up my endurance and strength.
Its the start of Autumn here in the UK and I'm looking to get a training regime started that I can maintain consistency with around my job, as I work shifts and tend to get home around 8pm.

I've been making use of my Garmin 500 to do sprint efforts, 1000, 2000 and 3000M efforts etc. Bodyweight exercises such as Pistol squat, Bulgarian squats etc. Then the odd longer steady rides to build my fitness. I intend to start basic weight training over the next few weeks and attend classes at the Manchester Velodrome to see if I like it.

What do you guys suggest? Should I be looking to get a road bike for training, what about a trainer (have rollers but have hardly used them due to noise concerns where I live with the people below me).
Old 09-20-15, 03:58 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like training outside in the dark, so for me figuring out a way to solve any nose problems would be a top priority. Road bike would be useful so you can vary resistance, but for someone who can't even started racing yet you can probably get through the winter ok with rollers for recovery or stay long efforts and going to the track to get intensity in.
Old 09-20-15, 11:30 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Welcome jt_uk!

Originally Posted by jt_uk
I intend to start basic weight training over the next few weeks and attend classes at the Manchester Velodrome to see if I like it.

What do you guys suggest? Should I be looking to get a road bike for training, what about a trainer (have rollers but have hardly used them due to noise concerns where I live with the people below me).
I wouldn't go spending anymore money till you know you want to continue with it.

As to trainers; if rollers are too noisy to use, trainers aren't any quieter. Is there any spots you could set up the rollers which won't annoy your neighbours? Or train before your shift if during the day where neighbours won't be affected?

Road bike would be better for training, as you can select the right gear for the intensity / intervals. Doubt you will be bothering changing cogs and chainrings out on the road...
Old 09-21-15, 06:09 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by jt_uk
Hey peeps

I've been lurking on these boards for about 8 months, I got into cycling as a means to get fit and track cycling apeals to me as I used to be a middle distance runner in my teens and twenties (currently 37 y.o.) . I'd like to try my hand at a track few races as a means of keeping fit and motivation. Ultimately I just want to get myself to a good level of fitness that I can maintain as I get older and track racing/training seems fun.

I've been using a cheap Fuji track comp for the past few months, doing sprints and short fast rides to build up my endurance and strength.
Its the start of Autumn here in the UK and I'm looking to get a training regime started that I can maintain consistency with around my job, as I work shifts and tend to get home around 8pm.

I've been making use of my Garmin 500 to do sprint efforts, 1000, 2000 and 3000M efforts etc. Bodyweight exercises such as Pistol squat, Bulgarian squats etc. Then the odd longer steady rides to build my fitness. I intend to start basic weight training over the next few weeks and attend classes at the Manchester Velodrome to see if I like it.

Hi, and welcome to the sport and to the forum!

There is a lot of great info here.

I'll write more later.
Old 09-23-15, 08:39 PM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The narrow SRM mount fits scatto bars with a pro vibe stem if you run the bars off center by about an eighth of an inch. Not enough to notice once you forget that you move the bars.
Old 10-04-15, 06:38 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Dear carleton
I'm interested in Georgia tech for undergraduate
Is there any Georgia tech athletes in your local velodrome?
And is there any scholarship for cycling athletes?
Also do they have a good sponsorship?
I did some research, but it was hard to find information about the track cycling team.....
Old 10-04-15, 10:52 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gycho77
Dear carleton
I'm interested in Georgia tech for undergraduate
Is there any Georgia tech athletes in your local velodrome?
And is there any scholarship for cycling athletes?
Also do they have a good sponsorship?
I did some research, but it was hard to find information about the track cycling team.....
Yes, GT is *well* represented at DLV: Results : Dick Lane Velodrome - Fixed Gear Bicycle Racing (East Point) Atlanta, GA

BF user @theblackbullet is a GT student and super fast track racer at DLV. He finished 2nd overall in Rider of the Year points this year. One of the fastest guys on the southeast for sure.

I have no idea about scholarships for cycling at GT...but I doubt it. There are only a handful of colleges that offer actual scholarships for cycling (look into Marion and Lees Mcrea). Most collegiate teams are clubs with little or no financial support from their universities. Most cycling teams/clubs aren't split into disciplines. They are usually only 10-15 men and women who often race multiple genres of cycling.

Reach out to them with questions:
https://gtcycling.com/
https://instagram.com/gtcycling/
https://www.facebook.com/gtcycling
https://twitter.com/gatechcycling

Last edited by carleton; 10-04-15 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 04:41 AM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you so much for your help
I hope I can talk to the GT team one day haha
Last summer, I visited GT cycling team building, but no one was there😭😭

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.