Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Old 10-28-15, 07:48 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
that's very cool.

for anybody who doesn't know, Stack and Reach are the two measurements that remove other geometry variables so that you can actually compare the sizes of two different bike models.

Consider this: a bike with a black frame and a lower seat-tube angle and a red frame with a steeper seat-tube angle are next to each other. because of the seat-tube angle, they have very different top-tube measurements - but regardless of that, you still need to put the saddle in the same place to get your saddle:bb relationship correct!

the Reach measurement measures from a vertical line coming out of the bottom bracket, to the middle of the headtube - so it removes the effect of a variable seat-tube angle.

Stack and Reach are the ONLY way to compare the sizes of bikes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike.JPG (28.8 KB, 154 views)
Old 10-28-15, 08:13 AM
weavie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for publishing this chart, it's a great tool to have available.

I'm interested to know how you came to these values. I've been using "reach = top tube - (cos(seat tube angle) * length of seat tube)" and it gets me pretty close most of the time to published reach numbers but yours are a bit different for the bike I own (Fuji track elite) so I'm thinking you have a different equation.
Old 10-28-15, 09:19 AM
Hrothgar42

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
This is AMAZING. Did you use Google Fusion Tables or something?
No. But looking at it, maybe I should have. It's custom javascript on top of Chart.js. Next up is figuring out how to get more frames in the legend, then maybe adding options for plotting top tube and head tube length.

Originally Posted by weavie
I'm interested to know how you came to these values. I've been using "reach = top tube - (cos(seat tube angle) * length of seat tube)" and it gets me pretty close most of the time to published reach numbers but yours are a bit different for the bike I own (Fuji track elite) so I'm thinking you have a different equation.
That is the equation I'm using if the manufacturer doesn't publish stack and reach. It's accurate if the top tube is horizontal, but if the seat tube is significantly higher or lower than the top of the head tube, it's not great. Take a look at the Dolan TC1 or the Giant Omnium in the graph. They both shorten the reach when going up a size. Now that's probably due to the calculation being inaccurate, but it would be great to know for sure.

Fuji does provide stack and reach for the track elite in their geometry chart, and I'm using the 2015 one here. Is yours possibly an older model year? I can add it assuming I fix the legend size issue.
Old 10-28-15, 10:24 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

it should work if you use "effective top tube" measurements, which assume a horizontal TT in situations where there is not one.
Old 10-28-15, 10:38 AM
Hrothgar42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
it should work if you use "effective top tube" measurements, which assume a horizontal TT in situations where there is not one.
That's definitely one piece, but we also need an "effective seat tube" as a measurement from the BB to the ST junction with the "effective top tube". That would give us the right (pun intended?) triangle to use trig on.

Originally Posted by Bulldogsprinter
Looking at that I see that the DF4 was the best choice for me, most reach and least stack for a 57cm frame.
Glad you found it useful. I've been trying to decide if I'm flexible enough to get a Hoy, based on riding a Langster pro 54 and 56 rentals at Hellyer.
Old 10-28-15, 10:51 AM
weavie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, my mistake, I misread my notes and was looking at the numbers for the Fuji Track Pro.
Old 10-28-15, 02:18 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at that chart explains why I had to use a -35 stem and still wasn't as low as I wanted on my T1 lol. Although I guess the 'slammed' stem is stiffer than having 4 inches of steerer tube sticking out, which I believe why cervelo was notorious for having such large stack heights on all of their bikes.. But I did just buy a new frame yesterday, which puts me 45mm longer reach and nearly 50mm less stack, so it will take some getting used to Im sure.
Old 10-28-15, 05:08 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
But I did just buy a new frame yesterday
Well???? Don't leave us hanging...
Old 10-28-15, 05:49 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ha well Im still waiting for it to arrive, hopefully get to build it up this weekend and will add pics. Kind of feel dumb as I already sold my current bike so have nothing to ride but the rental bikes at the track right now lol

Not sure its public yet but its the same bike our national team is moving to!
Old 10-29-15, 12:56 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Looking forward to the photos.

Discussion - "Hard evidence for weight training for track sprints?" in the Google group cycling-physiology

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...gy/6DiYuZevYT4
Old 10-29-15, 05:10 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
that's very cool.

for anybody who doesn't know, Stack and Reach are the two measurements that remove other geometry variables so that you can actually compare the sizes of two different bike models.

Consider this: a bike with a black frame and a lower seat-tube angle and a red frame with a steeper seat-tube angle are next to each other. because of the seat-tube angle, they have very different top-tube measurements - but regardless of that, you still need to put the saddle in the same place to get your saddle:bb relationship correct!

the Reach measurement measures from a vertical line coming out of the bottom bracket, to the middle of the headtube - so it removes the effect of a variable seat-tube angle.

Stack and Reach are the ONLY way to compare the sizes of bikes.

I tried to compare the published stack & reach of my Pinarello and Argon 18 and Argon18 doesn't list the stack & reach. I guess I'll need to measure them myself to see how they compare. Despite their wildly different geometries, they both feel fine to me.
Old 10-29-15, 06:26 PM
Hrothgar42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bobby sent me stack and reach numbers for the Dixie Flyer!

I updated the graph... https://googledrive.com/host/0BzwSdU...GdKVk0/2d.html
Old 10-30-15, 12:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
(Most of you know about this)

Tissot Timing is the official timer for most (if not all) UCI events. They post results and sometimes live data on their site:

Tissot Timing - Results -

The data goes back for several years for several events (mostly World Cups and World Championships, but other stuff like European Championships will be there, too. Events date back to 2000.

Tissot Timing - Results - CYCLING TRACK

Pay close attention. If you ever see "Analysis" next to an event, that will list the "audit" split times every 125m for an event. For example:

Also, look up top and see general info like schedule, registered teams and racers, communiques (official docs and statements)

This data is "straight from the horse's mouth" when it comes to results.
Old 11-02-15, 08:53 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Aero helmets - with and without visor*

*Actual drag values will be specific to the individual.
Attached Images
File Type: png
CS1UJ3nWoAAVDY8.png (63.1 KB, 180 views)
Old 11-02-15, 09:24 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wow, I just found a video of how I spent a good part of my summer. It kind of gives you an idea of the extra things Ttown does to attract larger crowds. Too bad there weren't any clips of old guy racing on Saturdays.

https://youtu.be/O35WZi7lSt4 Okay, there's one old guy(50+) in the Sr4 field . Unfortunately, he didn't win.

https://youtu.be/pFjtkCVx_AM
Old 11-07-15, 12:52 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
DIY wind-powered cellphone charger

DIY charger for cyclist!!
Old 11-12-15, 02:16 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

So there's this gif.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CS0t5pnUcAA7Qci.mp4 The announcers said that since Hoogland went backwards so that he could take the lead, rather than to give up the lead, that the going-backwards wasn't labeled a violation.

I scanned the rulebook but couldn't find the rule about how you can only go forwards. Anybody what that rule states?
Old 11-12-15, 02:38 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there not a rule for how long you can track stand? Or how many times? I thought in there it said something about rolling backwards. Or maybe thats one of the silly longest lap rules

*I quote UCI rules that I make up all the time*
Old 11-12-15, 04:20 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

the trackstand rule is:

3.2.039 The rider on the inside of the track, unless overtaken, shall lead at least at walking
pace and make no manoeuvre to force his opponent through until reaching the
pursuit line on the opposite side of the track. A maximum of two standstills shall be
permitted for each race. The maximum period for a standstill shall be 30 seconds
following which, the leading rider shall be directed by the starter to continue. If he
fails to do so, the starter shall stop the race and declare the other rider the winner of
the heat. In a three or four-up race, the race shall be immediately rerun as a two or
three-up race, without the relegated rider.
Old 11-12-15, 06:39 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
So there's this gif.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CS0t5pnUcAA7Qci.mp4 The announcers said that since Hoogland went backwards so that he could take the lead, rather than to give up the lead, that the going-backwards wasn't labeled a violation.

I scanned the rulebook but couldn't find the rule about how you can only go forwards. Anybody what that rule states?
There used to be a rule that limited how far a rider could "reverse" during a track stand. As I recall the distance was around 20 inches.
Old 11-12-15, 09:32 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

yeah, but I can't find the rule!
Old 11-12-15, 11:30 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
yeah, but I can't find the rule!
It was 8 inches, or 20 cm. It was rule 3.2.040 which got eliminated January 1st, 2002. It stated that a rider was not allowed to pedal backwards to get behind an opponent. It also stated hopping of the bicycle to accomplish the same thing was illegal as well.
Old 11-28-15, 07:25 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

i found this pic from Revolution featuring a Giro helmet I hadn't seen before... like a new version of the air attack, with some of the styling of giro's new snub-tailed TT helmet that i had seen on world tour teams this year - but this one is roundbacked.

Old 11-29-15, 01:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
some places are racing thru the winter.. Six-day racing: Madisons, mayhem and the Ministry of Sound - BBC Sport

but they had to invest in a building and a Track in it. to have it inside.
Old 11-30-15, 06:28 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Tickets for Rio Olympic Track Events are on sale.
To purchase tickets for all the sessions would cost 2,550 to 3,000 Euros.
https//www.tickets4summergames.com

Last edited by 700wheel; 11-30-15 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.