Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Top track frames available in US for under $3000

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Top track frames available in US for under $3000

Old 10-22-17, 12:05 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ionstorm
Is this a good idea for local masters race night on a budget? Obviously it won't have a UCI sticker, but are they at least UCI legal, if one were to take it to a higher level event where someone would check?
The bottom line is: It's a gamble.

1: The bigger name companies have better quality control. "But they are all made in the same factories by the same hands!!". This may be true. But, the frame that is slightly out of spec that Felt or Specialized may be destroyed and never be sold. A "china carbon" company might sell that same frame ebay for cheap as it's "good enough".

2: If you have issues with a bike you get locally or from a reputable shop, you can simply take it back and have them have the issue fixed under warranty if it is indeed an issue like a slipping seatpost. You'll likely get a new seatpost and/or frame at no charge. I can't see that happening with an ebay frame.

3) If you need replacement parts (an aero seatpost for example that is only made for that bike), it's easier to get one from a big company (assuming your bike is current enough for them to have some).

Unfortunately, older bikes suffer from point 3...even older big-name bikes. Some companies like LOOK are known for having "lack luster" customer service (issue #2 above). I literally could not buy a seatpost from them (LOOK USA or FR). But, I *was* able to get other small parts.

So, it would be wrong for me to say that all ebay bikes are crap. They are not. It's just a gamble. I've known people to gamble and win. And I've known people to gamble and lose.

The best bet is to buy a current generation bike new by a well-known manufacturer from a local shop. That way, if you have *any* issue, you just drive it downtown and drop it off and say, "Let me know when it's ready."
Old 10-22-17, 06:32 AM
ionstorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to both of you (Carleton's very thoughtful reply, and spartankid's link the what turns out to be an interesting geometry discussion)!
Old 10-22-17, 06:52 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ionstorm
I found this while cruising around thinking about upgrading my Felt TK3. and I'm very intrigued.

I did The Hour (W45-49) on a borrowed Look L96, and I never did a rigorous data analysis, I had the impression it was faster (rather embarrassing for the distance I got, but several things went wrong and I know I can do better - a story for another day), and that I got slower again when I had to give it up. I was offered the frame for CAD$3200, but really I just can't afford it. While I was very grateful to have it, it seemed fragile to me for regular use - it was the TT version with the carbon dropouts, and it had an issue with the stem/fork connection. While its seatpost/mast design uses aluminum spacers instead of a clamp to set the length and cannot slip, the saddle rail clamp had the tilting problem, which I had to solve with carbon paste (grease with grit).

But I'd like to hear more from anyone who has one of these unbranded Chinese frames, especially considering some of the broohaha out there about inferior handlebars and wheels that break, creak, whatever.

Is this a good idea for local masters race night on a budget? Obviously it won't have a UCI sticker, but are they at least UCI legal, if one were to take it to a higher level event where someone would check?
there's a common Chinabron bike out there that's rebranded as a Stradalli, Veloforma, and Planet X. It's basically a Cervelo copy- geo is the same and styling is very similar. I know somebody who got one as a pursuit bike, did a bunch of aero testing, brought his cda down, etc - and i know a lot of other people who ride one. Never heard issues about it. Seems to me if you can't afford a something like a T4, which is one of the most popular track pursuit/enduro bikes at the high level, then this chinabron is a good plan b.

I've started to see these around, which are similar but new and different.

Old 10-25-17, 07:54 PM
Hrothgar42

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk

I've started to see these around, which are similar but new and different.
This looks like the other other Planet X frame

Old 10-25-17, 09:22 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
At the risk of seeming redundant, the Dixie Flyer is a solid bike gaining fans and is also a smoking deal right now:
Dixie Flyer Bicycles
Old 10-25-17, 10:09 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by brawlo
I wouldn't bother looking at elites for frames. They'll generally be getting sponsorships from somewhere and ride whatever they're given or can buy cheap on a deal. As long as it's not crap. Masters athletes would be a better proving ground. Those guys are mostly funding themselves and if they're seasoned riders, you will see them only riding what is proven to be good.
To give homage to this comment from February: Among many of the frames that one expected to see at Masters Worlds this month, watching the video feeds, I saw several Dolan DF3s. Many more than I expected.

Maybe Dolan should revisit that design. The DF3 was simply a workhorse of a bike. Very common and well-liked.

The DF3-2 (to make up a name) could use some slight improvements (which would help justify a moderate price tag):

- Higher modulus carbon from that which was used 10 years ago.
- Find a dropuout system that is bullet proof, like the TK1, 496, or BT.
- Offer a palette of colors.
- Locally distribute them in the USA (that may be a huge ask)
Old 10-26-17, 06:24 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
At the other end of the spectrum is China carbon fixed gear carbon track bike frame and seatpost single speed bicycle frame | eBay Not to be snubbed, this frame has a very good reputation as well. It's the base for many a rebadged frame for much more $$. Volikakis is reportedly riding one and even took it to the Olympics. He can pump out sub 10s F200s on it.

There's many different ways to spend your money
I've started to notice this frame a bit more at high level bike racing. It's underneath the Ukranian National Team, badged as Comanche (which I've noticed before but hadn't gotten a close look to identify 'em), and it's also ridden by Juan Peralta at the London Six right now.

edit - on closer look, Peralta's isn't be one of these. It's a gigantic BT. Large dimensions tricked me, and I really thought I saw the ebay-bike's distinctive trackends at some point. But when I watched later it was def a BT.

Last edited by queerpunk; 10-31-17 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 06:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
At the risk of seeming redundant, the Dixie Flyer is a solid bike gaining fans and is also a smoking deal right now:
Dixie Flyer Bicycles
Except that they have almost nothing in stock and are trying to raise funds to build another batch.
Old 10-26-17, 04:37 PM
Hrothgar42

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be fair on the inventory side, they do offer a larger size and color range than most other track bike manufacturers. It’s hard to keep every color in stock in every size for a niche product.
Old 10-26-17, 05:10 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding Dixie Flyer frame, the one currently in stock are at great price but even the new batch at 1550$ usd is still a fair price for a frame that have a proper geometry sizing run with long top tube, a round (31.6mm) seat tube, decently sized dropout and a tapered fork. I am currently in line for a 56cm frame and I have been told to expect a 45 days wait for the frame to be shipped which I don't mind since the track season in bromont is already finished since september and the Ontario Cup schedule isn't announced yet for winter 2017-2018.
Old 10-29-17, 10:27 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Godsight
...and the Ontario Cup schedule isn't announced yet for winter 2017-2018.
Not to derail this, but the o-cup schedule is up. December 10th, January 14th, and February 11th. Provincials March 2-4.
Old 10-30-17, 07:46 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarkWW
Not to derail this, but the o-cup schedule is up. December 10th, January 14th, and February 11th. Provincials March 2-4.
Link? Last year the only sprint event was the kierin. Do we know what's included this year?

Last edited by southernfox; 10-30-17 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-30-17, 08:10 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by southernfox
Link? Last year the only sprint event was the kierin. Do we know what's included this year?
https://www.ontariocycling.org/20172018-track-season/

Looks like they're hashing out the details. I would imagine they'll just do keirins during the o-cups again. It's usually the best bang for the buck sprint event time-wise.
Old 10-30-17, 09:43 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am assuming that O-Cup this year will be again focused on mass start race with keirin included. I know that some quebec sprinters don't come to O-Cup as the 7hr+ drive is not worth for doing only a keirin but I am an endurance rider so I can justify more easily the long drive for a full day of mass start races.
Old 11-03-17, 12:40 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Three years ago I purchased a Stradalli that looks identical to the unbranded china bike pictured. From day one I had issues with the seat dropping. I had to drop out of a scratch race once when the seat dropped 5 unexpectedly". I called the company several times about the seatpost issue and was told to clean the seat post with alcohol, use carbon paste, and finally to tighten the two small seat binder bolts to 12-15 N. The guy said "we build those frames like a tank and you can really tighten them without damaging the frame". The last fix broke the collar holding the bolts in place. When I called back the guy said I exceeded the torque for the seat post then said basically that I screwed myself. Well not exactly that way, more like "F*** off, your on your own buddy". I still have the bike and a friend made a aluminum collar to sit on top of the seat tube and clamp to the post. I may still use it as dedicated pursuit bike. I took black tape and covered every Stradalli logo on the bike. now when anyone asks about the tape they get to hear my Stradalli experience.

Since that time I did buy a NOS 2011 Fuji Elite from Performance Bike for $999.00 that fits my needs well.
Old 11-04-17, 01:00 AM
carleton
Elitist

This is what folks mean about quality control issues from equipment coming out of China sold be small companies.

I recently watched this video about how easy it is to start a bike company...but then they interview veterans who all say that they have to spend so much of their time there watching what comes off of the lines to make sure that the quality is there. Basically, "Quality" means "It does what you expect it to do."

It's 12 minutes and filled with good info.
Old 11-05-17, 07:01 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Three years ago I purchased a Stradalli that looks identical to the unbranded china bike pictured. From day one I had issues with the seat dropping.
AJ, interesting to hear your experience. I've been considering the China version so that's kind of concerning. Like the Geometry for a Pursuit ride. Very similar front center, etc to a T4. I'm not a heavy rider, so that may factor in my favor I noticed Stradelli has two different seat clamp designs on their website.
Old 11-05-17, 07:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
AJ, interesting to hear your experience. I've been considering the China version so that's kind of concerning. Like the Geometry for a Pursuit ride. Very similar front center, etc to a T4. I'm not a heavy rider, so that may factor in my favor I noticed Stradelli has two different seat clamp designs on their website.
Don't fool yourself.

When the spec is off, the spec is off and riders of all sizes have seatpost issues, not just the heavy folks. There are countless stories in the road forums of average and below average sized riders having issues with seatposts. I've seen several in person.

If you want a Cervel T4, then maybe see if you can make it happen. If you buy a Cervelo and have seatpost issues, you'll have a better chance at getting a new post, frame, or your money back than if you go with an eBay frame. Also, the Cervelo will be less likely in general due to higher quality control standards (folks with calipers in the factory tossing the out-of-spec stuff in the trash).
Old 11-06-17, 07:49 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
AJ, interesting to hear your experience. I've been considering the China version so that's kind of concerning. Like the Geometry for a Pursuit ride. Very similar front center, etc to a T4. I'm not a heavy rider, so that may factor in my favor I noticed Stradalli has two different seat clamp designs on their website.
The seat post clamp on my Stradalli has two small bolts with a U shaped clamp pulling towards the seat post. I weighed around 190 lbs when the system failed. Based on my experience with their reps, including a guy who said he's the owner, I would not recommend anybody purchasing any item from Stradalli.