Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Tire Questions

Old 09-02-17, 06:00 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
That's common when charting non-linear data, it makes small differences more distinguishable at the flat end of the curve.
The nonuniform spacing in this case doesn't make all that much sense if that's the goal.

I'd guess it's a labeling mistake.

Last edited by HTupolev; 09-02-17 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 10:46 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Anyhow, the Tufo S33 Pro 24's seem fine on the track. Nothing groundbreaking, but they didn't feel any worse than the Sprinters. Pumping them up to 150 made them acceptable on the rollers, and as Taras said, they may need some breaking in time to feel their best.

Overall, I'd recommend these. The price is right, and they seem like really well constructed tires. If doing it again, I'd get the 21's though, the 24's are pretty chubby.
Old 09-02-17, 11:48 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
The S33s do have a break in period. They are a heavier/stiffer training tire. All tires loosen up and decrease in rolling resistance with use. As tire casings flex with use, they loosen up and deform more easily. As the tread thins out, the tire deforms more easily as well. The more well used the tire, the lower the rolling resistance (relative to when it was new).

If you find these tires to be decent (as I did), then maybe try the Elite 135. They were my favourite overall tire. I have ridden faster, more supple, but also more expensive tires, but so far, nothing has beat the Elite 135/125 for value as a race tire.
Old 09-06-17, 11:01 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
@Baby Puke, you pump your S33's up to 150 psi? No issues? I ask because sidewall pressure is 115 psi.
Old 09-06-17, 05:42 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by sarals
@Baby Puke, you pump your S33's up to 150 psi? No issues? I ask because sidewall pressure is 115 psi.
Yeah, so far no issues. These seem pretty tough, but of course do this at your own risk.
Old 09-06-17, 08:26 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Yeah, so far no issues. These seem pretty tough, but of course do this at your own risk.
They do seem tough, and I'm a conservative type (chicken old woman), so I keep them at sidewall pressure. Even at VSC.
Old 09-07-17, 11:54 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Old 09-07-17, 04:17 PM
Baby Puke

They've been sitting at 150 for a week now, I haven't let the pressure out, ridden on the track and rollers several times, I think they are good at 150. Taras, thanks for all the Tufo wisdom, I like them!
Old 09-07-17, 10:46 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

They've been sitting at 150 for a week now, I haven't let the pressure out, ridden on the track and rollers several times, I think they are good at 150. Taras, thanks for all the Tufo wisdom, I like them!
Glad I could help, and glad you like them. I always felt that they were an underrated tire. They aren't the greatest tires out there, but I feel that many people try their entry level tires, and then compare them to the best tire that they have had. We often do this with new things, compare them to what we like, even if they aren't directly comparable.

I found that when compared to their direct counterparts, they come up as good value for money, even more so when you move up the "competition" scale of their offerings.
Old 11-01-17, 03:33 PM
bartek. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking for new tubulars. All-rounders (training, mass starts), mainly for indoor wooden track. I like 21-22mm and seems like Vittoria's tubs are only available in 19mm and 23mm now. I can still get some Vittoria Pista CS in 22mm but wondering if there is something better around and the Pista CS will be probably out of stock soon.

I guess Tufo S3 Pro in 21mm can be a good choice (and they are cheap) but maybe there is better options around?
Veloflex Sprinter 22mm could be also nice even if not designed directly for track purposes.

What is your recommendation?
Old 11-01-17, 03:58 PM
rustymongrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Veloflex Record are very fast tires and surprisingly durable for indoor use on a wooden track. They are a lot like the old Vittoria CS.

My Pista CL "22mm" tires are 20.5mm in actual width. I bet the new vittoria "23mm" tires are not actually 23mm.

Friends don't let friends ride Tufo.
Old 11-01-17, 04:22 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rustymongrel
Veloflex Record are very fast tires and surprisingly durable for indoor use on a wooden track. They are a lot like the old Vittoria CS.
Ops, my fault that I forgot about the Record model and focused on the Sprinter. Just wanted to edit the post and noticed the reply ;-)
As they are quite pricey for training, how about mileage possibilities?
What about some (rare) races on concrete (a bit bumpy) track? Are they durable enough?

Originally Posted by rustymongrel
My Pista CL "22mm" tires are 20.5mm in actual width. I bet the new vittoria "23mm" tires are not actually 23mm.
I have Vittoria Corsa G+ 23mm on my road bike now and just measured, they are exactly 23mm.
I just checked the Vittoria Pista CS and again 22mm here. Maybe they started to measure them before putting labels since they changed their line-up? Does anyone ride the 23mm of new Vittoria Pista and can confirm the real width?
Old 11-05-17, 01:00 PM
Hrothgar42

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bartek.
I have Vittoria Corsa G+ 23mm on my road bike now and just measured, they are exactly 23mm.
I just checked the Vittoria Pista CS and again 22mm here. Maybe they started to measure them before putting labels since they changed their line-up? Does anyone ride the 23mm of new Vittoria Pista and can confirm the real width?
Exactly 23mm.

(On FFWD F6Ts)
And I went with Pista Controls because Hellyer is concrete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0091.jpg (873.7 KB, 481 views)
Old 11-05-17, 06:56 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hrothgar42
Exactly 23mm.
Yeah, a bit too wide for me for wooden track (perfect for concrete though).

I am very interested in the Veloflex Record, just waiting for comments about mileage and durability on more bumpy tracks (I usually have about 6-8 days of races on concrete per year). Unfortunately most reviews are about clinchers, not tubulars.
Old 11-05-17, 07:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by bartek.
Yeah, a bit too wide for me for wooden track (perfect for concrete though).

I am very interested in the Veloflex Record, just waiting for comments about mileage and durability on more bumpy tracks (I usually have about 6-8 days of races on concrete per year). Unfortunately most reviews are about clinchers, not tubulars.
I think you are overthinking this.

I've seen people much faster than anyone on this board use Conti Sprinter (wide, thick, and heavy as hell tubular) and Conti Grand Prix 4000 (clincher) on wooden tracks just fine.
Old 11-05-17, 07:48 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
I think you are overthinking this.

I've seen people much faster than anyone on this board use Conti Sprinter (wide, thick, and heavy as hell tubular) and Conti Grand Prix 4000 (clincher) on wooden tracks just fine.
Yeah, sure. I cannot disagree. Same goes to anything related to bike components actually. And these marginal gains only matter on really top-top. But this is how amateurs do, right? They overthink all the time ;-)

I use Conti GP4000 as my training clinchers and I can't say a bad word. Then for my PRO 4-spoke I use Conti SuperSonic with latex inner tube and I don't think it gives me relative advantage but I *feel* faster which is a great thing for enjoying from all the efforts you do on training sessions.
For my roadbike I used to use Conti Competition, but since I started to use Vittoria Corsa SC and then Vittoria Corsa G+ I just feel faster (and smoother and few more adjectives ). On the other side my best race so far (1st place on 318km distance with avg ca 40km/h) was done on some ****ty tubulars glued on tape in "last minute" (I had really bad crash with a car while descending just a week before but used to fix a bike and recover enough to race). But again, we like to feel fast, this is nothing bad about, right?
Old 11-05-17, 07:59 PM
carleton
Elitist

Might I suggest to maybe use normal butyl tubes instead of latex on the track. Yes, latex is lighter, but at the increased risk of a puncture. Dealing with a puncture on the track is a lot more stressful than on the road.
Old 11-05-17, 09:23 PM
Baby Puke

Veloflex Records are fantastic tires. I had one on a front wheel that got used often, exclusively on outdoor concrete, and it lasted 4+ years.
That said, I like to use semi-****ty tires for training just to accentuate the difference between the training set-up and the race set-up. It's good psychologically to know "I'm really a bit faster than this" sometimes.
Old 11-05-17, 10:38 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Might I suggest to maybe use normal butyl tubes instead of latex on the track. Yes, latex is lighter, but at the increased risk of a puncture. Dealing with a puncture on the track is a lot more stressful than on the road.
I've had latex tubes just up and blow up on me with my bike sitting against the rail of the infield. Pull the tube out and it looks like someone sliced it with a box cutter. Butyl tubes only after that one.
Old 11-30-17, 07:47 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Anyone got any experience of the new Vittoria Pista range since they went from Pista CS/Pista Evo CS/Pista Evo CL to Pista/Pista Control/Pista Speed?
Old 11-30-17, 08:12 AM
Monkeyfudger

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve got a pair but I’ve only used ‘em a couple of times but I’m a full noob on the track. Only clinchers though.

They feel very supple in the hand and the tread feels quite tacky straight out of the box, first ride felt good, very stable and not a hint of them slipping on the banking (wood - Glasgow) at slow speeds. Felt really bloody quick.

FWIW I’ve been racing on the tubeless G+ all season with Qurano 60c’s, not one hiccup and they’re ridulously fast, I wouldn’t ride tubeless on the track but they feel very similar, excellent tyres IMO.
Old 12-05-17, 10:11 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Oh brother, i should have looked at this sticky before i went online last night ---

I ordered 4 Conti Steher's -- then i read about the mysterious flats aand spotty quality -- Granted this thread is now 4 years old,

But does anybody have any experience with these from the past 6 months or so or has evryone moved on?

Update: ---- I was granted a reprieve since I ordered a lot of high dollar items --- credit card company thought I had fraudulent activity and shut the party down --- so now I get a chance to do a tad more research

What do you fellas recommend for use at the Superdrome for a training tire? --- I'm close to Carleton's size , so worried a tire that's too hard will slip a bit more there. I have used Sprinters on everything in the past, but in the past I was 50 pounds lighter

Id love to ride COS again in the near future too since they have the bubble --- but anything for Houston or Baton Rouge I would just use a different wheelset altogether with some gatorskins or something glued up

Last edited by DMC707; 12-05-17 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 04:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

A bike shop owner that serves the track racing scene emailed me and asked what tires I’d recommend he stock for race folk like us.

I mentioned that my previous favorites were Veloflex Record and Conti Steher and I wouldn’t know what else to suggest.

Any others that you folks suggest (make, model, width) that I can pass on to him?
Old 12-07-17, 04:55 PM
Baby Puke

A bike shop owner that serves the track racing scene emailed me and asked what tires I’d recommend he stock for race folk like us.

I mentioned that my previous favorites were Veloflex Record and Conti Steher and I wouldn’t know what else to suggest.

Any others that you folks suggest (make, model, width) that I can pass on to him?
Aren't the Vittoria's pretty much the benchmark racing tires? He should probably stock those. I've used nothing else on my racing wheels for years now.
Old 12-07-17, 05:25 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Aren't the Vittoria's pretty much the benchmark racing tires? He should probably stock those. I've used nothing else on my racing wheels for years now.
pista Evo's ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.