Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

How does a Triathlon Work? Questions for new Triathletes answered here

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

How does a Triathlon Work? Questions for new Triathletes answered here

Old 01-24-13, 03:54 AM
ChloeP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to all this. I'm building my training up pretty well but swimming is my weak spot so I really need to concentrate on this. I need tips for my training, I've got access to one of these kind of pools https://www.endlesspools.com, a resistance pool I think they're called as well. Would this help? I figured it would cut down the time I lose on turns. Has anyone used one for training?
Also, I'm worried about losing time during transitions.
One more thing, are swim caps compulsory?
Old 01-25-13, 05:56 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Netdewt
What distance should I try first? There is a .5/15/3 mile event near me in June.

How much gear should I invest in? There are tri suits available for $50-75-ish right now. June here may be a little chilly, but not bad - I have wetsuits but not a tri specific one. Do I need aero bars on my road bike?
The above sounds fine. Always best to try a shorter distance race first. Running off the bike is a odd feeling if you haven't practiced, so I would recommend including brick sessions (run session straght after getting off the bike) prior to the race.

Try swimming in one of your wetsuits before the race to see if you can. Swimming wetsuits are cut differently as to not restrict your stroke, so your current wetsuit may not work. On a shorter swim you may get chilly but should get through the swim quick enough for it not to be a problem.

If unsure whether tri's are your thing, I wouldn't bother with a tri suit.

If you have practiced and adjusted your seat position, aerobars will be faster. Do you need them? No.
Old 01-25-13, 06:06 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChloeP
I'm new to all this. I'm building my training up pretty well but swimming is my weak spot so I really need to concentrate on this. I need tips for my training, I've got access to one of these kind of pools https://www.endlesspools.com, a resistance pool I think they're called as well. Would this help? I figured it would cut down the time I lose on turns. Has anyone used one for training?
Also, I'm worried about losing time during transitions.
One more thing, are swim caps compulsory?
If swimming is your weakest leg. then swim as much as possible. Look at some technique classes too.

I had heard swimming in an endless pool isn't as good as in a regular pool (moving water vs moving through water) but if you are swimming more and can still focus on technique in one of these pools then why not use it?

Loosing time turning? Learn to tumble turn. If you want to continue with tri's, you will be spending alot of time in the pool. So why not learn to turn efficiently?

Practice your transitions.

Caps are compulsory in races here. Could be different in your country...
Old 02-23-18, 06:29 AM
wilsonjacob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do I keep all my stuff, like my bike and shoes?"
You keep all your stuff in "transition area" during Triathlon. You get a space on a "transition rack" which is usually a long metal beam that runs parallel to the ground--you either hook your handlebars over it or you hook your seat over it. The area near the wheel that touches the ground is where you put all the gear you'll need easy access to during the race--your helmet, shoes, etc. You can use the Triathlon Transition bag/ Transition Backpack to keep your essential stuff in an organized manner, which helps you to reduce the time duration you lose during a transition. You can Browse the best quality at an affordable price at Justwetsuits.com
Old 10-15-22, 08:02 PM
localbikelad

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am athlete

Really hard but you just gotta dig deep and before you know it its over and you are done
Old 02-07-23, 09:29 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by speedgod
Would you start by practicing swimming, running or cycling? In what order? Thanks
{This is a really old thread}
It depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are. Lots of people are of the mentality that if they’re not a particularly good swimmer that they don’t waste significant time on swimming because it’s such a small percentage of the race. But I’ve always looked at it this way: neglecting swimming can result in a larger gap between you and the competitor in front of you. A :30 second gap between you and the competitor in front of you in the swim results is him/her getting out of T1 and onto the bike course about 200-250 yards ahead of you. Making up the 200+ yards isn’t easy. IMO, reducing that gap in the swim is much easier. Bring that swim gap down to :10 seconds and now that person is only 80 yards ahead of you on the bike. A much more manageable gap. Another thing to consider is your body composition. If you have a body fat percentage that’s a bit higher than other…that extra body fat is much less of an impact in the water than it is on the land. And don’t neglect transition times. It’s worth practicing/reducing. Getting passed is one thing. But getting passed by someone who came into transition AFTER you really sucks.

Dan
Old 02-11-23, 10:31 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I will also add that swimming is a good cardio base. As I started swimming more, my running became a lot easier. I’m not a great runner to begin with, but I was able to go longer and faster more often than I have in years.
Old 07-10-23, 05:22 AM
gooseneck34

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have just signed up to my first triathlon which I take part in at the end of this month, some of the questions answered here have been helpful thanks guys ! feeling a bit nervous if anyone has any major tips for the big day would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-10-23, 09:07 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by gooseneck34
I have just signed up to my first triathlon which I take part in at the end of this month, some of the questions answered here have been helpful thanks guys ! feeling a bit nervous if anyone has any major tips for the big day would be greatly appreciated
What distance? Sprint, Oly, half/full Iron? How’s your swimming? No, I mean really…how is your swimming? Especially how is your open water swimming? Have you done much open water swimming? Is it going to be an ocean swim, bay, or in a calm lake? So many times people have asked me for tips for their first tri. They “think” their swimming abilities are sufficient, or they can “get through the swim” only to get in the actual race to discover they really can’t swim much at all.

Dan