Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2014 Weight Lifting!!!!

Old 07-07-18, 12:02 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by krispenhartung
I've seen a handful of videos of pro track cyclists doing these very short and fast leg presses, where they are only letting their legs go down about 6 inches or less from full extension. What type of leg press is this and what purpose does it serve?
Anyone without this very dangerous full extension... ;-)
Old 07-07-18, 12:53 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clythio
Anyone without this very dangerous full extension... ;-)
Was that supposed to be an answer to the question?
Old 07-07-18, 04:46 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
Realistically, cycling has a very short ROM as well. You're never locking your legs out at full extension while pedaling, and you're at most moving your legs ~350 mm in a pedal stroke.

The fast movement is to train explosiveness, likely for the first few pedal strokes of a standing start or the first few pedal strokes in a hard sprint. Doing ballistic movements where you can accelerate the weight and let it fly away from you without using your muscles to slow it down (like when you stand up at the top of a squat, you actually have to slow down the weight), is one of the ways to actually get faster and train speed in the gym that will transfer to the bike.
I think my question may have been misconstrued. I wasn't suggesting that the press ended with a full leg extension -- that wasn't the focus of my question. I was only using a full leg extension to illustrate that the press was starting only 6 inches or less "below" that full extension point. The gist of the question was regarding what type of leg press is this where they are letting their legs drop down only a few inches, and what type of muscles does it activate vs starting the press with the legs bent more.
Old 07-07-18, 04:57 PM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
Yes I understood that part. You're asking why they're doing leg press over a shorter ROM than say, knees bent at 90 degrees all the way up to legs at full extension, correct? If so, my answer is still the same. Cycling has a relatively short ROM, so they're likely doing leg press with a ROM that allows them to be explosive with heavy weights.
Ok gotcha. Yet I also see leg presses done where they let their legs drop further down (longer ROM, likely beyond the bend that occurs in a pedal stroke). I assume one approach is serves a different purpose than the other, and activates different muscles.
Old 07-08-18, 07:04 PM
Clythio

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Besides some aspects already pointed, (real ROM on the bike, risk, etc.) with shorter ranges you can hold higher loads, focusing on quads = 2 advantages - load and specificity.
Old 09-06-18, 08:42 AM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the info imparted in this thread - have just ordered a copy of Starting Strength as a result ( which is actually quite difficult to get hold of for a reasonable price in the UK for some reason?).

I just had a quick question regarding bars. I am about to buy a new one to replace my nasty flaky chrome bar that i bought when i was back at university many years ago.

But what do you guys think about centre knurling? - If you had the option for a new bar with or without it, what would you choose? This is for the main lifts is SS - Squat, Deadlift, Press, Power clean, Bench.

There are just so many options out there and so much mixed advice. Some people say the knurling is absolutely necessary for squats, others say its just there as a hold over from the past when weighlifters did cleans one handed. Some people sya knurl will chew up your chect in press and power cleans.

My current beater bar has no knurl but i don't have enough weights to know whether this would cause a problem with slippage or not when the weights get higher.

Any thoughts or opinions very welcome.
Old 09-06-18, 09:51 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I've preferred bars with center knurling in the past when my weight training actually mattered for something. Something wide enough that I could see it on either side of my neck, those were my favourite bars for squatting as it made it easier to get a symmetrical set-up under the bar before loading it's weight onto my back. Now when I am able to get into a gym, I just use what's there and have never been worse off for it.

So..... personal preference/kinda doesn't matter?
Old 09-06-18, 10:06 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Taras, its a personal thing. I like the center knurl because it helps me ensure I am properly centered under the weight. At my age, little things like being out of balance under a couple of hundred pounds causes problems quickly. If having a knurl helps prevent any of those bad things, it is well worth it in my book.
Old 09-06-18, 02:55 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also prefer the center knurling, helps a bit with back squats and also just in general for alignment as the others said. And IMHO if the center knurling is causing damage to the chest area during presses or cleans, you're doing it wrong.
Old 03-07-19, 01:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
So, after years of hemming and hawing I've decided to build a (lite) home gym. Any tips would be appreciated.

I want to use nicer than "basic gym quality" equipment. I want to splurge a little and have the stuff look nice since it'll be in the house and not a corner in the garage.

Right now I'm thinking:

- Weightligting platform
- Quality barbell
- Ivanko Calibrated plates
- Bench

What am I missing?

Even though I live in a major metro (Atlanta), finding this stuff locally is a challenge. Most "gym" fitness stores have budget gear (which is technically fine, my muscles don't know how fancy the weights are). But, I would like to have nicer bars and stuff.

Bars. Geez. I didn't know there was so much to learn about them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-19, 01:51 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
My wife runs a gym, and we use Rogue Fitness stuff there. It's pretty good quality, durable enough to make it through a lot of classes/drops (bumper plates are nice) but it's admittedly not the most bling factor unless you host crossfit nerds regularly.

Personally, I'm partial to strengthshopusa's bastard bar. It's bling. If I was only going to have one bar that'd probably be it.
Old 03-07-19, 04:41 PM
Kaben

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you going to get a cage or thinking more of just a squat rack on your platform?

With regards to bars, the Rigue Ohio is very nice well regarded bar. It is a decent “do it all” item. It comes in many different finishes as well to suit your taste.
Old 03-07-19, 05:24 PM
warx

Bikes: Venge, Koichi San II, Crux Sngl Spd, EVO, Stumpy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not equipment related - but now winter is over and weight-training just once a week I am going to try single set to failure (unilateral) for some more taxing exercises. Some say it's almost as beneficial as multiple sets in triggering adaptation and hormonal response but less taxing on the CNS (less DOMS) and possibly faster recovery.
Old 03-07-19, 10:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Morelock
My wife runs a gym, and we use Rogue Fitness stuff there. It's pretty good quality, durable enough to make it through a lot of classes/drops (bumper plates are nice) but it's admittedly not the most bling factor unless you host crossfit nerds regularly.

Personally, I'm partial to strengthshopusa's bastard bar. It's bling. If I was only going to have one bar that'd probably be it.
Thanks! I'll look into Rogue and strengthshopusa.

Originally Posted by Kaben
Are you going to get a cage or thinking more of just a squat rack on your platform?

With regards to bars, the Rigue Ohio is very nice well regarded bar. It is a decent “do it all” item. It comes in many different finishes as well to suit your taste.
Thanks! I'm not sure. Every gym I've used just had the rack with the safety arms, not a full cage. What's the benefit of the cage? To keep you from falling backwards when using heavy weights?
Old 03-08-19, 04:39 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Thanks! I'll look into Rogue and strengthshopusa.

Thanks! I'm not sure. Every gym I've used just had the rack with the safety arms, not a full cage. What's the benefit of the cage? To keep you from falling backwards when using heavy weights?
Not just that, but overall flexibility/versatility. Being able to set the bar rack and safety stops at a much larger range of positions is great if you want to also do stuff like presses, rack pulls, pull-ups/chin-ups, etc. You can also use add-ons for things like dips. A good power racks is going to cost quite a bit more than basic squat racks, but IMHO they're the best way to go especially if you're going to be lifting without a spotter.
Old 03-08-19, 07:55 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by warx
Not equipment related - but now winter is over and weight-training just once a week I am going to try single set to failure (unilateral) for some more taxing exercises. Some say it's almost as beneficial as multiple sets in triggering adaptation and hormonal response but less taxing on the CNS (less DOMS) and possibly faster recovery.

Going to failure is VERY taxing on the CNS. Most competitive weightlifters avoid going to failure as much as possible. It is not necessary to go to failure to trigger overload adaptation. Once a week weightlifting is going to be strictly maintenance, which doesn't require much in terms of expenditure. You aren't likely to make any gains in the weightroom training only once a week, but you are likely to be able to maintain your non-specific strength/power with one workout a week. Keeping that in mind, I wouldn't do anything that would compromise your recovery. You only need to be able to hoist the same poundage from week to week, so spend your energy towards on the bike training to get faster.
Old 03-08-19, 09:59 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I'm on my way to the gym now. I'll do some squats but only on the machines. My back and knees aren't what they used to be.
Old 03-08-19, 10:06 PM
Hrothgar42

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
So, after years of hemming and hawing I've decided to build a (lite) home gym. Any tips would be appreciated.
We set up a home gym this fall, and have been using it a ton. Here's our setup:
Bar and weights: Vulcan one basic bar, 240lbs alpha bumpers, Hbasic squat stand, Rogue infinity spotter arms, Titan weight tree, American Barbell change plates
Other things: A couple powder coat kettlebells from kettlebell kings, slam ball, balance thing, jump box
Even in the garage, we're using floor protection: Two 15'x4' 8mm rubber flooring rolls, Titan silencer pads

My sister also has a home gym setup, which is entirely Rogue. She loves it. She also made an 8'x8' platform for oly training.

Questions for you:
What types of lifts will you do? Deadlifts, squats, and power cleans are my typical lifts. Power cleans and olympic lifts (snatch, clean and jerk) should be done in front of a rack. (You need 4' for deadlifts. 6-8' for oly lifts). With a squat stand, you can remove the spotter arms and use part of the space in the squat stand footprint as you lift.
To make a rack exceedingly stable, you'd bolt it down. Given that you're in the house, that would be bolted to a platform. (Recessed bolts on the bottom of the platform, probably rubber under the platform to protect your floors.)
Are you going to bench press? If not, you probably don't need a bench.
How much are you planning to lift? I'm comfortable with a squat stand over a rack, but I weigh 150lbs, so I'll never lift a ton.
If you won't do lifts where you drop the weights, you don't need bumpers. You can just use iron plates, which confusingly are often called olympic weights, even though they're not used for olympic lifts...

Tips:
Use masking tape to mark out where you want to put things. It'll take more room than you think. Remember you need space to maneuver weights outside of the edge of the bar.
Old 03-09-19, 04:21 PM
ChrisRob01

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training advice for masters sprint

Originally Posted by Quinn8it
I know what you're thinking!
its the beginning of a new year and a new season- and you're sitting there wondering about Squats or Leg Press or Zerchers- which ones and what combination and how many reps are going to get you filling out your Wranglers like Brian Ratliff and ready to stomp suckers this spring!!!

ask it here!
any question about technique, programming, rep-schemes whatever..

and if you are already training for the Arnold Classic- we'll take PR's, goals, form check vids, stories of failure, and hidden camera vids of guys at your gym doing Half-Squats with 25's and a foam bar pad..

Get Pumped!
Hi Guys,

I just wanted a bit of program structure guidance if that’s ok

So i’m new to track but used to race BMX

I’ve lifted for years and back up to a 200lg back squat at 96kg body weight.

Not sure i will get back to my best numbers, but i’m 40 and and happy with that.

I want to get a bit lighter and fitter which i’m working on.

My main issue is fitting all the training in the right way.

With bmx the squats didn’t hurt the bike sessions as much as it’s high cadence 180-190 rpm and low gearings

im noticing pushing gears on sprint sessions the day after squats is hard and doing a double session with am squats and pm sprints which is my only option is also very hard.

So as a masters track sprinter how often are you squatting a week? Do you do separate days for the squat and sprint sessions?

what works in your experience as i’m getting burnt out a lot?

Thanks, just want to get it right 😊

Chris

Old 03-09-19, 05:26 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Step One: have and state a clear and realistic goal and a time to complete it. Do you want to get "lighter" or improve your training? One can accompany the other, but there can only be one priority. Choose one.
Old 03-10-19, 01:28 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisRob01
Hi Guys,

I just wanted a bit of program structure guidance if that’s ok

what works in your experience as i’m getting burnt out a lot?

Thanks, just want to get it right 😊

Chris
This is a tough question and frankly I'd also love to hear some peoples' responses. Balancing work/wife/kid/training is a really tough job. I too have trouble knowing what I can cram in a week without ****ing myself.

In the dead of winter I get by doing three days a week in the gym and a couple of ergo/rollers sessions when the focus is on the strength base. But right about now I'm moving more to bike stuff and it's a pretty heavy load along with lifting two to two and a half times per week.. This is the time of year that I usually get injured if I'm going to and I fear it's down to doing too much.
Old 03-10-19, 12:37 PM
FinkFloyd

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
But right about now I'm moving more to bike stuff and it's a pretty heavy load along with lifting two to two and a half times per week.
What do you class as the 'half' in the 'two and a half times a week'? Is it a lighter session, or do you essentially mean two weights sessions one week and three in the next in a fortnightly cycle?
Old 03-10-19, 02:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by jsk
Not just that, but overall flexibility/versatility. Being able to set the bar rack and safety stops at a much larger range of positions is great if you want to also do stuff like presses, rack pulls, pull-ups/chin-ups, etc. You can also use add-ons for things like dips. A good power racks is going to cost quite a bit more than basic squat racks, but IMHO they're the best way to go especially if you're going to be lifting without a spotter.
Yeah, I'll go this route. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by Hrothgar42
We set up a home gym this fall, and have been using it a ton. Here's our setup:
Bar and weights: Vulcan one basic bar, 240lbs alpha bumpers, Hbasic squat stand, Rogue infinity spotter arms, Titan weight tree, American Barbell change plates
Other things: A couple powder coat kettlebells from kettlebell kings, slam ball, balance thing, jump box
Even in the garage, we're using floor protection: Two 15'x4' 8mm rubber flooring rolls, Titan silencer pads

My sister also has a home gym setup, which is entirely Rogue. She loves it. She also made an 8'x8' platform for oly training.

Questions for you:
What types of lifts will you do? Deadlifts, squats, and power cleans are my typical lifts. Power cleans and olympic lifts (snatch, clean and jerk) should be done in front of a rack. (You need 4' for deadlifts. 6-8' for oly lifts). With a squat stand, you can remove the spotter arms and use part of the space in the squat stand footprint as you lift.
To make a rack exceedingly stable, you'd bolt it down. Given that you're in the house, that would be bolted to a platform. (Recessed bolts on the bottom of the platform, probably rubber under the platform to protect your floors.)
Are you going to bench press? If not, you probably don't need a bench.
How much are you planning to lift? I'm comfortable with a squat stand over a rack, but I weigh 150lbs, so I'll never lift a ton.
If you won't do lifts where you drop the weights, you don't need bumpers. You can just use iron plates, which confusingly are often called olympic weights, even though they're not used for olympic lifts...

Tips:
Use masking tape to mark out where you want to put things. It'll take more room than you think. Remember you need space to maneuver weights outside of the edge of the bar.
Thanks so much.

If you don't mind the question, what ballpark amounts did you wind up spending? There seems to be a slippery slope when it comes to cost.

I think I'll focus on powerlifting (squat, deadlift, benchpress) and supplemental exercises. I'm comfortable with those. I'd like to have proper coaching before I explore Olympic weightlifting (overhead stuff).
Old 03-10-19, 02:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I'm on my way to the gym now. I'll do some squats but only on the machines. My back and knees aren't what they used to be.
Actually, doing freeweight squats will better train the stabilizing muscles and tendons.

This guy squats over 1,000lbs "raw" using only neoprene sleeves on his knees to keep them warm. During an interview he says that he's never had knee issues.

https://www.instagram.com/optimusprime_334/

I know he's an abnormal human. But, I'm trying to dispel the common myth that squats cause knee issues. If anything, the hack squat machines select-a-weight machines all run on a track. The athlete must make sure his/her feet are in the right spot in relation to the upper body, otherwise they will cause abnormal loading on the knees. With free weight squats, the upper body is free to adjust as it's not locked into place.

Proper squatting does not cause knee problems. I would suggest focusing on squat technique as you start progressing through your transition back into lifting as opposed to getting strong on the machines then switching over to free weight squats then finding that one small untrained muscle the hard way.

Last edited by carleton; 03-10-19 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 02:45 PM
carleton
Elitist

I'm lured by the siren's song of Calibrated plates.

Rogue seems to have the best price, but all reviews say that the paint chips/wears off then rust appears.

Should I go this route or spring for Eleiko or Ivanko?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.