Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2014 Weight Lifting!!!!

Old 03-10-19, 05:02 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkFloyd
What do you class as the 'half' in the 'two and a half times a week'? Is it a lighter session, or do you essentially mean two weights sessions one week and three in the next in a fortnightly cycle?
Well what I mean is that sometimes I'll get in three, but it's definitely not every week. I don't really organize my programming weekly, it's more by the order of workouts I do, and that cycle rarely works out to a week in length.
Old 03-10-19, 09:09 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Actually, doing freeweight squats will better train the stabilizing muscles and tendons.

This guy squats over 1,000lbs "raw" using only neoprene sleeves on his knees to keep them warm. During an interview he says that he's never had knee issues.

https://www.instagram.com/optimusprime_334/

I know he's an abnormal human. But, I'm trying to dispel the common myth that squats cause knee issues. If anything, the hack squat machines select-a-weight machines all run on a track. The athlete must make sure his/her feet are in the right spot in relation to the upper body, otherwise they will cause abnormal loading on the knees. With free weight squats, the upper body is free to adjust as it's not locked into place.

Proper squatting does not cause knee problems. I would suggest focusing on squat technique as you start progressing through your transition back into lifting as opposed to getting strong on the machines then switching over to free weight squats then finding that one small untrained muscle the hard way.
That guy has the weight lifter/power lifter build. The polar opposite of me. But hopefully in time, I can build up to free weights again.
Old 03-10-19, 09:51 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I'm lured by the siren's song of Calibrated plates.

Rogue seems to have the best price, but all reviews say that the paint chips/wears off then rust appears.

Should I go this route or spring for Eleiko or Ivanko?
Ivanko - I asked a friend.
Old 03-10-19, 10:20 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Yeah, I'll go this route. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks so much.

If you don't mind the question, what ballpark amounts did you wind up spending? There seems to be a slippery slope when it comes to cost.

I think I'll focus on powerlifting (squat, deadlift, benchpress) and supplemental exercises. I'm comfortable with those. I'd like to have proper coaching before I explore Olympic weightlifting (overhead stuff).
Get some Xrays of your Acromio-Clavicular joint before you start. There are three basic Acromion morphologies, one of them being hooked. This can make it difficult to do certain overhead lifts like the snatch and over heard squat. I have a Type III acromion, so I cut those two exercises out of my programs when I found that out. You can still overhead press, and do similar movements. It's the rearward bias that bent-over overhead exercises (deep overhead squat, the catch in a clean) impose that can end up irritating the rotator cuff muscles if you have a Type III or even Type II AC joint.

Last edited by taras0000; 03-10-19 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 01:43 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Get some Xrays of your Acromio-Clavicular joint before you start. There are three basic Acromion morphologies, one of them being hooked. This can make it difficult to do certain overhead lifts like the snatch and over heard squat. I have a Type III acromion, so I cut those two exercises out of my programs when I found that out. You can still overhead press, and do similar movements. It's the rearward bias that bent-over overhead exercises (deep overhead squat, the catch in a clean) impose that can end up irritating the rotator cuff muscles if you have a Type III or even Type II AC joint.
Noted! Thanks!
Old 03-11-19, 05:51 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

That should be "catch in the Snatch", not clean. Clean and jerk is safe to do.
Old 03-11-19, 07:32 AM
sea coil

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, doing freeweight squats will better train the stabilizing muscles and tendons. . . .

. . . Proper squatting does not cause knee problems. I would suggest focusing on squat technique as you start progressing through your transition back into lifting as opposed to getting strong on the machines then switching over to free weight squats then finding that one small untrained muscle the hard way.
Yup. Actually, it's hard to cause knee injuries even with bad squat technique, as long as your feet are flat on the floor, and your knees are healthy to begin with. Squatting with raised heels transfers shear force to the knees. Back injuries are way more common with bad squatting technique.

Last edited by sea coil; 03-11-19 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-19, 08:24 AM
sea coil

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaben
Are you going to get a cage or thinking more of just a squat rack on your platform?

With regards to bars, the Rigue Ohio is very nice well regarded bar. It is a decent “do it all” item. It comes in many different finishes as well to suit your taste.

My two cents:

The Rogue Ohio Bar is great, but Rogue makes a cheaper bar, the Echo Bar, which is way more than adequate for home lifters. It's a great value, about $100 cheaper than the Ohio Bar. But I wouldn't go any cheaper. Cheap bars are a false economy. They will eventually bend, corrode, and the collars will stop rotating freely. I would avoid generic bars from chain sporting good stores and the discount sellers like Fitness Factory Outlet or Body Solid. Zinc finish on a bar will be highly rust resistant.

I personally would use the money I save by buying an Echo Bar toward a better quality bench or a better quality rack.

Equipment used in commercial gyms gets used and abused way harder than in most home gyms. So, it is usually overbuilt and more expensive. Rogue gear is excellent, but Rep Fitness (a little less expensive) is more than good enough for home gyms. Titan Fitness is another low cost outlet. I've never used their equipment, but there are mixed reviews about Titan quality.

Last edited by sea coil; 03-11-19 at 08:27 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-13-19, 07:42 AM
Hrothgar42

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much.
If you don't mind the question, what ballpark amounts did you wind up spending? There seems to be a slippery slope when it comes to cost.
It can definitely be a slippery slope. I spent almost exactly $1000 for the bar, 260lbs of bumpers, and the squat stand. Most sites have a small discount for bundling, but don’t let your inner superhero argue that you need an extra pair of 45s!

Last fall, I made a spreadsheet and charted out prices. There's definitely a range between brands.
Old 03-13-19, 10:14 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

That is a DAMN USEFUL chart. Thanks for posting that.
Old 03-13-19, 11:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

Thanks, @Hrothgar42!
Old 03-18-19, 03:51 AM
Kaben

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! I'm not sure. Every gym I've used just had the rack with the safety arms, not a full cage. What's the benefit of the cage? To keep you from falling backwards when using heavy weights?
Safety is definitely a big issue if you are lifting in an isolated space - cage gives you more room for error and preventing you from getting pinned. It also means if you do need to drop a weight behind you to abort a lift then the weight will be held within the rack - cant miss or jump off the spotter arms and damage your floor. This means you dont have to pay to put substantial floor protection down infront of the rack as well as beneath it.

However there are plenty of training benefits too - having the cage above you gives overhead mounting points for resistance bands. This means you can change how the weights interact so the weights will be at their lightest at the bottom of the movement and heaviest at the top. Its a different training stimulus and can be quite handy when progressing to higher weights for example.
You can also have the spotter arms up high for overhead excercises. I have poor shoulders from previous injuries so knowing that if i fail i wont have to drop the bar far is a definite plus.
Well made cages are also useful for assistance exercises like pull ups or just to hang from to decompress the spine.
Old 03-18-19, 06:36 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Since we are discussing Racks I would like people's opinions.

I am planning on setting up my small studio/shed as a training space. As the studio is only 3*3m I am considering the Ironmaster IM1500 half rack, as I am concerned that a standard Rack would be too big. Opinions would be appreciated - except if you say I need more space as I don't have more. Already struggling to store my 3 cars and 9 bicycles and don't have a garage...

Last edited by Dalai; 03-18-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 03:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

So, apparently I need an Instagram account in order to lift weights.

Strange rule.

Old 03-20-19, 03:26 AM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Since we are discussing Racks I would like people's opinions.

I am planning on setting up my small studio/shed as a training space. As the studio is only 3*3m I am considering the Ironmaster IM1500 half rack, as I am concerned that a standard Rack would be too big. Opinions would be appreciated - except if you say I need more space as I don't have more. Already struggling to store my 3 cars and 9 bicycles and don't have a garage...
I was going to say a full rack but that half rack actually looks good. It has the additional weight storage within the same footprint as a standard rack. Adding weight storage to a full rack ups the footprint by about half, or a weight tree is an option too. I use a full rack with a sheet of 18 mm ply out front with some rubber gym matting to absorb impact. Total footprint of about 2.2x2.4m which gives me every lift I could think of as well as working with a bench. If I wasn’t so ginormous I could do overhead stuff within the rack and cut that back to about 1.2x2.4.
Old 03-20-19, 11:38 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks brawlo. Biggest issue I have read on BB forums is the spotting arms aren't very long. Otherwise it seems to handle similar max weights to the full cages I was looking at...
Old 03-21-19, 04:22 AM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
When you consider that the vast majority of weight work is in a single plane then you just have to be careful about putting the arms just outside your ROM so that if failure occurs then they’re still in your plane of movement. I read the review on Sam’s site and it seems good.

My cage is cheap Chinese and it has handled everything that I have thrown at it, including moving up to 200kg in/on it. My cheap bar is the only thing that has “failed” from bending when I was careless with dropping heavy rack pulls. I would invest in a decent bar, but for most home hacks, cheap stuff is more than up to the task. Even my cheap $2.50/kg weight plates checked in at correct weight
Old 03-21-19, 06:20 AM
Hrothgar42

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
As the studio is only 3*3m I am considering the Ironmaster IM1500 half rack, as I am concerned that a standard Rack would be too big.
It’s crazy, but half racks take up more space than some full racks.
1. Footprint of a 3’x3’ rack is just smaller than that half rack.
2. The big consideration: You lift inside the full rack, rather than in front of the half rack.

Here are a couple in the same price range from Vulcan and (cheaper) Titan.

The one consideration is plate storage. Peg storage (either facing backwards on the rear verticals, or sideways on all verticals) is ok, but can interfere with some lifts. Rolling storage is another option (in the rack when not using it).
Old 03-21-19, 11:11 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Hrothgar42

2. The big consideration: You lift inside the full rack, rather than in front of the half rack.

The one consideration is plate storage. Peg storage (either facing backwards on the rear verticals, or sideways on all verticals) is ok, but can interfere with some lifts. Rolling storage is another option (in the rack when not using it).
That Vulcan rack is leading my short list of candidates.

I've already ordered plates, collars, and a bar from them. I'll write more on that later. 100% happy with the sales, service, and shipping.
Old 03-21-19, 09:24 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by brawlo
My cheap bar is the only thing that has “failed” from bending when I was careless with dropping heavy rack pulls.
So now you can call it a Buffalo Bar

Last edited by taras0000; 03-27-19 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 11:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

UPDATE:

So far I have:

- 4x4ft Hammer Strength Weightlifting Platform (new).
- Vulcan Powerlifting Bar (new)
- Vulcan Calibrated Steel Powerlifting Plates (new): 20, 15, 10, 5, 2.5, 1.25, 0.5, and 0.25 kilogram pairs. 25kg plates are out of stock. I'll order 2-3 pair when they restock.
- Vulcan Bumper Plates: 25kg pair (new)
- Found a gym quality weight tree to hold them used for cheap.
- Plyo Box
- Weight Vest
- WaterRower Club Rowing Machine (for car...carEDIO...cadoOO...caDEEde...I can never say that word. I hate it.). I've had this a few weeks in an effort to do more at home.
- CycleOps Spin Bike (also for the C-word)

I plan on ordering a Power Rack and Bench possibly this weekend to finish up.

Also have in here:
- TV
- AppleTV
- Sofa
- Lounge Chair
- Vintage stereo with big speakers

All indoors in an unused room on the first floor.

It's pretty chill.

The best part is that now I can deadlift in socks (not allowed in most gyms) and not spend half my time spraying down equipment and worrying about germs. Yeah, I'll clean my equipment, floors, and furniture. But, this room won't see a fraction of the nastiness in a month that a typical gym does in a day.

(Someone please buy my 808s and 5 spoke to offset this expense! Please. I'm a motivated seller!)

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
IMG_1295.jpeg (206.8 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by carleton; 03-22-19 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Having image issues.
Old 03-22-19, 01:15 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
God this is such a dream to have this gear at home... So jealous!
Old 03-22-19, 05:56 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
UPDATE:

The best part is that now I can deadlift in socks (not allowed in most gyms) and not spend half my time spraying down equipment and worrying about germs. Yeah, I'll clean my equipment, floors, and furniture. But, this room won't see a fraction of the nastiness in a month that a typical gym does in a day.
My gym doesn't seem to mind me doing squats and deadlifts in socks - so long as I stay in/near the sqaut racks/cages.
Old 03-22-19, 10:06 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by topflightpro
My gym doesn't seem to mind me doing squats and deadlifts in socks - so long as I stay in/near the sqaut racks/cages.
For the reasons stated above, I'd never deadlift in socks before and my proper weightlifting shoes (Adidas Ironwork III) have a heel on them.

Man, it make a big difference when the heel is lower. Before, I was fighting the shoes to get the weight off of my mid-foot area.

Now I see why people wear special shoes (or simply socks) for deadlifting.

Interesting reading on the subject: https://www.kingofthegym.com/best-sh...r-deadlifting/
Old 03-23-19, 03:32 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hrothgar42

Appreciate the suggestions Hrothgar42. Unfortunately from my initial investigations it appears neither option is available in Australia...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.