Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2014 Weight Lifting!!!!

Old 03-23-19, 04:53 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
For the reasons stated above, I'd never deadlift in socks before and my proper weightlifting shoes (Adidas Ironwork III) have a heel on them.

Man, it make a big difference when the heel is lower. Before, I was fighting the shoes to get the weight off of my mid-foot area.

Now I see why people wear special shoes (or simply socks) for deadlifting.

Interesting reading on the subject: https://www.kingofthegym.com/best-sh...r-deadlifting/
I don't know much about the science of it. I saw someone doing it years ago and gave it a try, and for me, I felt much more stable. I also have very wide feet, so there are not many options for good weight lifting shoes for me - I might be able to wear Converse All-Stars if I removed my pinkie toes.
Old 03-24-19, 12:13 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
I know what you're thinking!
its the beginning of a new year and a new season- and you're sitting there wondering about Squats or Leg Press or Zerchers- which ones and what combination and how many reps are going to get you filling out your Wranglers like Brian Ratliff and ready to stomp suckers this spring!!!

ask it here!
any question about technique, programming, rep-schemes whatever..

and if you are already training for the Arnold Classic- we'll take PR's, goals, form check vids, stories of failure, and hidden camera vids of guys at your gym doing Half-Squats with 25's and a foam bar pad..

Get Pumped!
Speaking of hidden camera vids -- should cameras be allowed in the locker room? Now I know you're anxious to get in your twitter photos before your pump goes away. But I draw the line at video phone calls to your lady friend with guys getting dressed and the shower view in the background.

I reminded this guy -- and management -- of proper decorum even in this environment of growing gender neutral popularity. Some us still maintain some modicum of decency that won't be compromised on my watch.
Old 03-24-19, 07:28 AM
Hrothgar42

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Appreciate the suggestions Hrothgar42. Unfortunately from my initial investigations it appears neither option is available in Australia...
Ah, bummer. Rogue is in AU, but is more. The Ironmaster seems like a good option though. I’ve seen some good reviews, and importantly it’s made with 11 guage steel.
Old 03-25-19, 09:33 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Hrothgar42

It’s crazy, but half racks take up more space than some full racks.
1. Footprint of a 3’x3’ rack is just smaller than that half rack.
2. The big consideration: You lift inside the full rack, rather than in front of the half rack.

Here are a couple in the same price range from Vulcan and (cheaper) Titan.

The one consideration is plate storage. Peg storage (either facing backwards on the rear verticals, or sideways on all verticals) is ok, but can interfere with some lifts. Rolling storage is another option (in the rack when not using it).
I ordered that Vulcan flat based rack above. Dang, those Titan prices are nice, though.

I went with Vulcan since I already have an account, most of my other stuff is Vulcan, and shipping is pretty fast for them (only 4hrs drive away). They can ship on Monday and it will arrive at my home on Tuesday with normal (not overnight) shipping fees.
Old 03-25-19, 03:02 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I ordered that Vulcan flat based rack above.
Looking forward to seeing your room set up!
Old 03-26-19, 01:07 AM
carleton
Elitist

Definitely.
Old 03-27-19, 07:47 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Definitely.
I think Dalai is trying to tell you he's going to drop by unannounced for a workout once it's done.
Old 03-27-19, 09:50 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by taras0000
I think Dalai is trying to tell you he's going to drop by unannounced for a workout once it's done.
Hahahaha. It's gonna be a while.

I ordered on Sunday and this morning there's a pallet with 600lbs of power rack parts in my garage.

Their shipping is insanely fast. It was actually in the area yesterday morning. I could have picked it up then (not that I would want to).
Old 03-28-19, 02:00 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
​​​​​​
See right through me taras0000. But not unannounced - invited as part of group training session / track forum members meet. Last time to the States was 2013, so another visit is long overdue!
Old 03-29-19, 11:52 PM
carleton
Elitist

​​​​​​
See right through me taras0000. But not unannounced - invited as part of group training session / track forum members meet. Last time to the States was 2013, so another visit is long overdue!
That sounds awesome.
Old 03-30-19, 12:12 AM
carleton
Elitist

Update:

Got the rack assembled. That was a gauntlet to do alone...including one "OH SH*T!, OH SH*T!, OH SH*T!" moment when I was trying to bolt a pair of the uprights and it started to topple. It's possible to do solo, but I'd suggest you get help. Also go buy one normal and one ratcheting spanner/wrench in the size(s) you need for the big bolts (15/16" in my case...huge.). There are LOTS of them. The ratcheting saved the day.

Even though I don't have all of the equipment a gym has, I can now do the basics safely:

- squat
- bench press
- deadlift
- military (overhead) press
- pull ups

I got all of this equipment new for less than the cost of my SRM power meter. I should have done this years ago.

I am missing a few supplemental exercises that I used to do with gym machines and dumbbells. But, I'll figure something out.

Lifting tonight I experienced something that I have never experienced before while lifting...silence. Complete silence. It was awesome. Serene. Like a long peaceful bike ride where you have the trail to yourself and you just cruise enjoying the scenery.

Every gym I've ever been to has had either radio or some awful playlist playing music constantly. This is why everyone wears headphones or earbuds...to drown out the crap music (any music that isn't your favorite is "crap music", btw). And you have to play your own music really loudly to do so. I really think gyms should have no music playing and then if people want music, they use headphones. That way everyone is happy. The people who want quiet get quiet. The people who want music get their own music without having to play it very loud to drown out the gym playlist. Call me crazy.
Old 03-30-19, 03:43 AM
topflightpro

Lifting tonight I experienced something that I have never experienced before while lifting...silence. Complete silence. It was awesome. Serene. Like a long peaceful bike ride where you have the trail to yourself and you just cruise enjoying the scenery.

Every gym I've ever been to has had either radio or some awful playlist playing music constantly. This is why everyone wears headphones or earbuds...to drown out the crap music (any music that isn't your favorite is "crap music", btw). And you have to play your own music really loudly to do so. I really think gyms should have no music playing and then if people want music, they use headphones. That way everyone is happy. The people who want quiet get quiet. The people who want music get their own music without having to play it very loud to drown out the gym playlist. Call me crazy.
I think it's a recognized fact that AC/DC should form the basis for any gym playlist.

Why it doesn't is beyond me.
Old 03-30-19, 05:28 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Top 40 is the absolute worst thing to hear while lifting. Seems to be pretty common in my experience. I used to go to a pretty sketchy gym in San Francisco, and when it was off peak they'd put on their own music which was either metal or gansta rap, both excellent choices in my opinion. But 90% of the time it was top 40. Why why why??
Old 03-30-19, 09:12 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

For the longest time, I used to wear ear plugs at the gym. It was just like the feeling Carleton describes. Then again, nothing beats a workout where there's no one around and you can crank any music you like.

Also, if you've ever gotten a speeding ticket because a certain song came up on he radio, then put that in your playlist.
Old 04-04-19, 10:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

Also, if you've ever gotten a speeding ticket because a certain song came up on he radio, then put that in your playlist.
You mean like this?:

I caught myself going waaaaay too fast when this song was on. I happened to be very caffeinated and driving on ATL freeways in a tuned sportscar.

Whew, laddie!
Old 04-04-19, 10:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

It's 12:36AM. Heading to the gym.

Made it.

Old 04-10-19, 03:39 PM
KraneXL

Update:

Got the rack assembled. That was a gauntlet to do alone...including one "OH SH*T!, OH SH*T!, OH SH*T!" moment when I was trying to bolt a pair of the uprights and it started to topple. It's possible to do solo, but I'd suggest you get help. Also go buy one normal and one ratcheting spanner/wrench in the size(s) you need for the big bolts (15/16" in my case...huge.). There are LOTS of them. The ratcheting saved the day.

Even though I don't have all of the equipment a gym has, I can now do the basics safely:

- squat
- bench press
- deadlift
- military (overhead) press
- pull ups

I got all of this equipment new for less than the cost of my SRM power meter. I should have done this years ago.

I am missing a few supplemental exercises that I used to do with gym machines and dumbbells. But, I'll figure something out.

Every gym I've ever been to has had either radio or some awful playlist playing music constantly. This is why everyone wears headphones or earbuds...to drown out the crap music . And you have to play your own music really loudly to do so. I really think gyms should have no music playing and then if people want music, they use headphones. That way everyone is happy. The people who want quiet get quiet. The people who want music get their own music without having to play it very loud to drown out the gym playlist. Call me crazy.
Couldn't disagree more. For the mere fact that listening to obnoxious can be irritating but can be ignored after a while. Listening to people talk about their lives, on the other hand, can be far more irritating especially when they stand next to you with grating voices and the worst English this side of the Atlantic -- which people that talk loud always have.

I cringe just thinking about those instances. Between the two, I'd take the obnoxious music any day.
(any music that isn't your favorite is "crap music", btw)
I try to "appreciate" all music, and look for opportunities to expand my palate. But yes, sometimes its just a lot of loud screeching.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-11-19 at 03:27 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-10-19, 10:27 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Couldn't disagree more. For the mere fact that listener to obnoxious can be irritating but can be ignored after a while. Listening to people talk about their lives, on the other hand, can be far more irritation especially when they stand next to you and grating voices and the worst English this side of the Atlantic -- which people that talk loud always do. I cringe just thinking about those instances. Between the two, I'd take the obnoxious music any day.
In the gyms I've been to, ambient music has never stopped the "I'm gonna share waaaaay too much" talkers from talking on their phone or into their earbuds.

This reminds me of a conversation that I had with an owner of a franchise gym that offers 24/hr access to members via key cards. I asked her if she ever considered not playing any music (her gym's genre was top hip hop) and let people use headphones as we are discussing here. She said that one day the music player crapped out and no staff were working to be able to reset it. She got a phone call at her home at 5AM from a patron reporting the music outage. Yes, you read that correctly. I was like, "Really?!?! How did the woman get your home phone number?". The gym owner says, "I have no idea, Carleton. No idea. The woman really wanted to hear the music as she walked on the treadmill."
Old 04-10-19, 10:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

I've been reading a lot about weightlifting, powerlifting, the lifts, equipment, etc... since I've started this little project.

Jeez, there is no shortage of opinions in this sport/activity. It's actually annoying if you get sucked into reading so much. You can't throw a rock without hitting 10 blogs, 25 coaches, Rogue Fitness, etc...

I guess that's par for the course with any popular sport, but I guess I'd been largely away from it all by simply (loosely) following track cycling and no other sports.

Oh and what the hell is this?:

That is a legal lift in a proper competition.

Here it is in action (setting a world record):

It's my understanding that this arch and very wide hands cuts the vertical range of motion significantly and exploits the rules in doing so. Basically, hands are wide so the top of the lift starts lower and chest arched so high so that the bar doesn't have to come down all the way to touch.

This is seen at the highest levels of the sport.
Old 04-11-19, 07:45 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

That's the lifting equivalent of a bike throw:-P
Old 04-11-19, 10:54 AM
liverunbike
Bonecrusher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
There is an equivalent squat style, as well as sumo deadlifts.
Old 04-11-19, 05:35 PM
topflightpro

I've been reading a lot about weightlifting, powerlifting, the lifts, equipment, etc... since I've started this little project.

Jeez, there is no shortage of opinions in this sport/activity. It's actually annoying if you get sucked into reading so much. You can't throw a rock without hitting 10 blogs, 25 coaches, Rogue Fitness, etc...

I guess that's par for the course with any popular sport, but I guess I'd been largely away from it all by simply (loosely) following track cycling and no other sports.
This opinion is really enlightening: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=107926751
Old 04-11-19, 05:44 PM
KraneXL

The equivalent of Chris Froome on the bench press?

Old 04-11-19, 11:34 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
This opinion is really enlightening: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=107926751
Ermahgherd I think a blood vessel in my brain exploded
Old 04-11-19, 11:40 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by liverunbike
There is an equivalent squat style, as well as sumo deadlifts.
I believe (from what I have read) that these are different. Not so much "cheat" moves as the differing movement uses different muscles and there is a lot of conjecture that the movements require similar levels of strength but form different muscles.

Given that from what I have read, the IPF and UCI share similar crazy stances on rules, if there was really an issue, then the feds would have sorted it by now. Pushing the boundaries while staying within the rules is something that is literally everywhere in life

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.