Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 06:19 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,364 Times in 3,504 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I spent all week, in my idle time, looking forward to taking the Circuit with its inadequate gears for a long Sunday ride. So, I pumped up the tires, checked the brakes, added the saddle bag and the frame pump that came with it - fortunately, as it happens - and set out. It was cooler and windier than I thought it would be, so I made a quick turnaround and went home to get my vest.

I set out again, and maybe 2 miles from home I flatted. I swapped in a new tube and pumped it up with the frame pump, and headed back home. Since it wasn't a snakebite, and I didn't see or feel anything on the outside of the tire, I decided to swap bikes when I got home. I went to the opposite extreme - the Canyon.

I just got a Garmin Varia, one of those radar jobbies that warns you of cars approaching from behind. Wow! It's great! I liked it so much, I may actually relent and use the Garmin on the C'dale and the Circuit, no matter how anachronistic it feels!
Varia is awesome. Almost essential on the road.
Old 04-04-21, 06:21 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
I spent all week, in my idle time, looking forward to taking the Circuit with its inadequate gears for a long Sunday ride. So, I pumped up the tires, checked the brakes, added the saddle bag and the frame pump that came with it - fortunately, as it happens - and set out. It was cooler and windier than I thought it would be, so I made a quick turnaround and went home to get my vest.

I set out again, and maybe 2 miles from home I flatted. I swapped in a new tube and pumped it up with the frame pump, and headed back home. Since it wasn't a snakebite, and I didn't see or feel anything on the outside of the tire, I decided to swap bikes when I got home. I went to the opposite extreme - the Canyon.

I just got a Garmin Varia, one of those radar jobbies that warns you of cars approaching from behind. Wow! It's great! I liked it so much, I may actually relent and use the Garmin on the C'dale and the Circuit, no matter how anachronistic it feels!
I am not typically an early adopter, but I have a Varia and am a huge fan. It is especially helpful on solo rides. I can’t say enough good things about it.
Old 04-04-21, 06:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
The rest of my weekend has been occupied with my latest project:

It's a Lotus Supreme from around 1980, +/- 2-3 years. It's got 7200 Dura Ace kit, including Dyna Drive pedals (platform of pedal is BELOW the pedal spindle), and it was pretty cheap. The bones of it are in better shape than the picture makes it seem. My goal was to fix it up and see if I could sell it. I'm going to try and make it look like this:

I suspect I'll end up keeping it, since I already figured out a name for it: Mrs. Peel. Full marks to anyone who can tell me why.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-04-21, 06:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Cockpit traveler also!

Boom furler is okay. It allows you to maintain proper shape and trim. I can never get good trim on boats with in-mast furlers.
Yeah the traveler is on an arc track on the cockpit sole. Trés Grand Prix!

Shape just isn’t a thing with in-mast furling, but it’s convenient to wind a few inches in or out with a button press! The boom furlers do that and allow proper battens and a sail with some roach. This year’s Bermuda ride has one.

Old 04-04-21, 06:49 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Dyna?

It's a Lotus Supreme from around 1980, +/- 2-3 years. It's got 7200 Dura Ace kit, including Dyna Drive pedals (platform of pedal is BELOW the pedal spindle), and it was pretty cheap. The bones of it are in better shape than the picture makes it seem. My goal was to fix it up and see if I could sell it. I'm going to try and make it look like this:

I suspect I'll end up keeping it, since I already figured out a name for it: Mrs. Peel. Full marks to anyone who can tell me why.
Something to do with Dyna from the Avengers...going from memory here...
Old 04-04-21, 06:52 PM
Mojo31
-------

Because she was a looker and never lost a fight.
Old 04-04-21, 06:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Nope.

Old 04-04-21, 06:54 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts

If one is constantly being passed by cars is it worth it?
(after the power meter, of course)
Old 04-04-21, 06:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Speaking of old bikes, changing from the Circuit to the Canyon felt REALLY WEIRD. Not just because the bar on the Circuit is lower and it's at least 3# heavier, or because of the DT shifters. It's going from the Circuit's 170mm cranks to the Canyon's 175s. The first minute it feels like I'm REACHING with my feet for the pedals. I tend to be a toe pointer, but maybe I'm ankling more on the 170s? Makes me curious how the Dyna Drive pedals feel, since the pedal platform is at least 5mm lower than with regular pedals. So the pedals will be about the same reach at the bottom of the circle, but also lower at the top. I may well find out why Dyna Drive failed, like Biopace after it.

Old 04-04-21, 07:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by bampilot06
If one is constantly being passed by cars is it worth it?
(after the power meter, of course)
Absolutely! And it's not constant, mostly. The fact that it isn't makes the Varia all the more valuable.

Old 04-04-21, 07:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Nope.
Well, she was hot and never lost a fight.
Old 04-04-21, 07:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Because she was a looker and never lost a fight.
Nope.
She drove a Lotus??
Old 04-04-21, 07:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by datlas
She drove a Lotus??
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

Old 04-04-21, 07:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Diana Rigg in a Lotus Elan.... What's not to like?

Well, there's Lucas electrics. And lousy build quality, I suppose. The Lotus, not Diana Rigg.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-21, 07:10 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts

Varia is awesome. Almost essential on the road.
Originally Posted by datlas
I am not typically an early adopter, but I have a Varia and am a huge fan. It is especially helpful on solo rides. I can’t say enough good things about it.
I hear so many raves about this thing that I’m considering it, but I still can’t quite see how it would change my behavior.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-04-21, 07:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I hear so many raves about this thing that I’m considering it, but I still can’t quite see how it would change my behavior.
I didn't buy it to change my behavior, but for example when you're coming up on some slower cyclists, it helps you time your passing better than a look over the shoulder. If you're rolling up on someone but there's approaching traffic behind you, you can adjust your speed to when you'll be able to pass.

Mind you, I may have some of The Zeal Of The Newly Converted....

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-21, 07:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Yup, it feels weird to ride without one once you've lived with it for a while.
Old 04-04-21, 07:19 PM
WhyFi

I "take the lane" more and then move over when I get a chirp - it puts me on another road, makes me both more visible and I think that it makes drivers aware that I'm aware (and accommodating). I've had far, far fewer close passes since.
Old 04-04-21, 07:21 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,719 Posts
Cockpit traveler also!

Boom furler is okay. It allows you to maintain proper shape and trim. I can never get good trim on boats with in-mast furlers.
What about when your not on a boat?
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 04-04-21, 07:22 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts

Epic
Old 04-04-21, 07:26 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I "take the lane" more and then move over when I get a chirp - it puts me on another road, makes me both more visible and I think that it makes drivers aware that I'm aware (and accommodating). I've had far, far fewer close passes since.
That, and it's just nice to have when you're coming up on an obstacle and you know, without looking over your shoulder, that a car is approaching. You can pay attention to what you're doing, slow down, wait for the vehicle to pass, double-check and then make your move.
Old 04-04-21, 07:27 PM
Mojo31
-------

It’s not supposed to take the place of riding defensively and with good practices. It’s just another data point with a warning tone to alert you.

Same as continuing to look over your shoulder even though you have a back-up camera.

I actually got one for the wife as well.
Old 04-04-21, 07:31 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by DougRNS
What about when your not on a boat?
A bit personal, don’t you think?
Old 04-04-21, 07:46 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
I may well find out why Dyna Drive failed, like Biopace after it.
Didn't DynaDrive pedals have bearing issues?

Nice chrome head tube lugs
​​​​​

Last edited by abshipp; 04-04-21 at 07:53 PM.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-04-21, 07:52 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
It’s not supposed to take the place of riding defensively and with good practices. It’s just another data point with a warning tone to alert you.

Same as continuing to look over your shoulder even though you have a back-up camera.

I actually got one for the wife as well.
I don't ride the road without a fredtacular Take-A-Look mirror but a Varia is on my short list now that I have a compatible computer.

I see most cars coming up behind me but there's still those times when you're grinding into a headwind and the mirror becomes less useful. I suppose a bar end mirror instead of a helmet mount one could be used to solve that.

I also still turn and look back especially when making a left turn across oncoming lanes since the FOV of the mirror - while wide - is still reflecting off of a little 1" square area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.