Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for a “comfort” style/position bike.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-13-21, 11:04 AM
BigGuy305

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I ended up buying a trek ds2 which is a good bike and I was looking for something to ride around the neighborhood and get some exercise. I’m almost 6’5 and currently about 350. I wasn’t really happy or enjoying riding the trek. Today I went to the local bike shop and ended up riding a specialized roll elite. This is I guess labeled as a “comfort bike,” An upright cruising bike.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...es/roll/c/roll

This is what I’m looking for, but I want to compare similar options.

They only they had was the elite which is the higher end model with hydraulic brakes etc. only issue is that it comes in at $1,100. I could buy this bike but I’d prefer to possibly look for the lower end version for $600 or a another brand or model that has a similar riding style. If you guys think that’s the one to get, I can go that way too.

The owner told me that a lot of bikes are out of stock and hard to order right now.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-13-21, 01:43 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I bought a 2018 Giant Sedona to replace an aging and more importantly uncomfortable mountain bike. The best move I ever made. I would recommend their Cypress model too. Both bikes have rigid forks, I think you're weight might be a problem for suspension forks. The smaller 26" 36 spoke mountain bike wheels on the Sedona might be stronger then the 700c wheels on the Cypress.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/cypress

What I like about Giant is even their lower end bikes are built to the same quality standards that their expensive ones are. The fit and finish on my Sedona are first rate. IMO these make fine bikes for the recreational cyclist who wants some exercise and for short commutes on roads and trails.

That Specialized bike is sharp too. I especially like their low entry bikes. Their Roll Sport specifically. I might get one of them next time...I ain't proud. My 73 year old cousin loves his. Rides it for hours at a time.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 04-13-21 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-13-21, 07:01 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGuy305
I ended up buying a trek ds2 which is a good bike and I was looking for something to ride around the neighborhood and get some exercise. I’m almost 6’5 and currently about 350. I wasn’t really happy or enjoying riding the trek. Today I went to the local bike shop and ended up riding a specialized roll elite. This is I guess labeled as a “comfort bike,” An upright cruising bike.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...es/roll/c/roll

This is what I’m looking for, but I want to compare similar options.

They only they had was the elite which is the higher end model with hydraulic brakes etc. only issue is that it comes in at $1,100. I could buy this bike but I’d prefer to possibly look for the lower end version for $600 or a another brand or model that has a similar riding style. If you guys think that’s the one to get, I can go that way too.

The owner told me that a lot of bikes are out of stock and hard to order right now.

Any suggestions?
I bought a 1X7 entry level Roll and regret it .
Don’t buy an entry level Roll .
Go up one level at least .
that one move up gets you disc brakes and a cassette hub instead of a freewheel hub . Disc brakes makes it easier to change wheel sizes if you want .
Old 04-13-21, 07:36 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
What was it about the Trek that you didn't like? I'm 6'5" too and front end height is an issue on almost anything you will buy off the shelf and I assume that was at least one of your Trek issues. If the front end height is a bother, there are a variety of handlebar options that you can use to get your front end higher at low cost. There's higher rise MTB bars or you can cross over to the BMX market and get bars that have very high rise, or even over to the motorbike market for high rise ATV bars. You'd just need to talk to a bike shop about longer cabling to accommodate for the extra height if you can't do it yourself.
Old 04-17-21, 04:21 PM
BigGuy305

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So I ended up buying the 2021 Specialized Elite in all black XL. Let you tell me that I am very very very happy with this bike. Ive had it a week so far and I would never try and take it on a 200 mile trip. But for me biking around the neighborhood, sidewalks, marina, bikepaths etc.. its just want I want in a bike. Its not slow by any means and rolls extremely smooth.
Likes For BigGuy305:
Old 04-19-21, 11:01 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I've had my Specialized Roll Elite step thru for going into my 3rd year. Absolutely love it. 72 years old and currently at about 242. I like it so much that when considering an ebike, I decided to put a kit on the Roll. Haven't gotten it yet, but I'm really excited, I want a bit of assistance in certain aspects of my rides, but hopefully will still ride mostly without assist.
Great purchase. I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 04-19-21, 12:41 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by MJH
I've had my Specialized Roll Elite step thru for going into my 3rd year. Absolutely love it. 72 years old and currently at about 242. I like it so much that when considering an ebike, I decided to put a kit on the Roll. Haven't gotten it yet, but I'm really excited, I want a bit of assistance in certain aspects of my rides, but hopefully will still ride mostly without assist.
Great purchase. I don't think you'll regret it.
Now that’s an idea I hadn’t thought of for my Roll . 🤔
Old 04-29-21, 11:32 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Got the kit and it's already installed by my LBS. What a hoot! It really is fantastic and I can still ride it like a bike with no assist, but it's there if I need it. Highly recommend!
Old 04-29-21, 01:10 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by MJH
Got the kit and it's already installed by my LBS. What a hoot! It really is fantastic and I can still ride it like a bike with no assist, but it's there if I need it. Highly recommend!
how about a picture?
Old 05-02-21, 08:27 AM
MJH

Originally Posted by kirby999
how about a picture?
Will do!
Old 05-02-21, 11:16 AM
MJH

Here's a few.

Old 05-02-21, 02:51 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by MJH
Here's a few.

Nice !
Reminds me of the Honda 90’s they used to rent at the beach about fifty years ago . LOL . Yep , I’m old enough to remember them .
Was it expensive ?
Old 05-03-21, 11:18 AM
MJH

Originally Posted by kirby999
Nice !
Reminds me of the Honda 90’s they used to rent at the beach about fifty years ago . LOL . Yep , I’m old enough to remember them .
Was it expensive ?
I wouldn't call it inexpensive, but it was affordable. Especially to be able to put it on a bike that I love and fully trust.