Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I got sunburn on my arms. Can I still ride?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-03-21, 06:13 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

The sunburn is kind of bad, skin is peeling. I actually wore some sunscreen, but since I was out for so long it got me. Do I have to wait for it to completely heal or can I just continue and wear sunscreen, while wearing a long shirt? This is a frustrating setback.
Old 05-03-21, 06:23 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Get a long sleeve jersey and neck/face protection. Skin cancer is much more of a frustrating setback.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-03-21, 06:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Yes, you should probably avoid riding in direct sunlight. Even one peeling sunburn increases your risk for melanoma. Stay safe!
Old 05-03-21, 06:30 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I’ve started riding with sun sleeves if I’m not wearing long sleeves. The forearms especially get so much sun exposure when riding.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 05-03-21, 06:43 PM
WobblyPop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your arms worked well enough to post this, I'd say they're still good for cycling.
get a long sleeve or stronger sunscreen. The SPF number is a multiple of the safe amount of minutes you can be in the sun unprotected. Depending on where you are that might only be a minute, meaning SPF 30 is a half hour of exposure before you have to reapply.
Old 05-03-21, 06:45 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Decades ago, the trick we used to do following a sunburn-level exposure was: liberally applying Noxema skin cream to the affected areas. Dramatically reduces the pain from the burn, and speeds healing. Of course, this in addition to high-SPF protective cream prior to any such exposure.

These days, I definitely tend to wear long-sleeve jerseys/shirts and keep exposed areas reapplied with SPF on any extended outings. Aging skin's getting much more sensitive to such exposure. Things Grandma never told us about.
Old 05-03-21, 06:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Co...a-808088221668

Cooling & protection: with innovative cooling technology & protection to block out over 98% of harmful UVA & UVB rays, the cooling sun sleeves are more than your average sun sleeves.
Old 05-03-21, 09:46 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
The sunburn is kind of bad, skin is peeling. I actually wore some sunscreen, but since I was out for so long it got me. Do I have to wait for it to completely heal or can I just continue and wear sunscreen, while wearing a long shirt? This is a frustrating setback.

"Women's BB coach says toughen up butter-cup"
So for 8 years i worked in surgery. My hobby was sailing. Sunburn on Saturday and Sunday and pain Monday. Sailing has additional reflection from the water. I used some sunscreen, scrubbed my hands and arms with a brush before every case.By Friday it peeled and I went to work Monday with sunburn. The hospital paid for my 4 college degrees. I worked evening shift. Since then we use aloe vera and find some with lidocaine. You don't "need to wait". I suggest less time in the sun during a day. Put on Aloe after next sunburn and it reduces odds of peeling.
Old 05-03-21, 10:09 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by WobblyPop
Your arms worked well enough to post this, I'd say they're still good for cycling.
get a long sleeve or stronger sunscreen. The SPF number is a multiple of the safe amount of minutes you can be in the sun unprotected. Depending on where you are that might only be a minute, meaning SPF 30 is a half hour of exposure before you have to reapply.
It is not the number of minutes. It is a factor of time that would be safe without protection.
https://news.psu.edu/story/141338/20...sunscreen-mean
Old 05-03-21, 10:33 PM
WobblyPop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
It is not the number of minutes. It is a factor of time that would be safe without protection.
what do you measure time in?
Old 05-03-21, 11:15 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by WobblyPop
what do you measure time in?
Read what you wrote. You claimed SPF 30 protects for 30 minutes.

It protects 30 times of whatever the normal time is. If a normal time is 10 minutes (depends on your skin, clouds, altitude etc) it will be 300 minutes of protection. It is a factor, not a time. That is the F in the name.
Old 05-04-21, 03:26 AM
WobblyPop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Read what you wrote. You claimed SPF 30 protects for 30 minutes.

It protects 30 times of whatever the normal time is. If a normal time is 10 minutes (depends on your skin, clouds, altitude etc) it will be 300 minutes of protection. It is a factor, not a time. That is the F in the name.
Ok, I agree. That is essentially the same as my original comment.
Old 05-04-21, 04:00 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
if it impacts your riding abilities that can put others at risk, you might consider only riding with the lizards for a while.
Old 05-04-21, 06:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
DreamRider85

Another setback...another dramatic scenario...another quandary.

You did it!

Stay strong, my friend.

As to your question, ride after sunset or before sunrise?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-04-21, 07:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
If possible, ride early or late, skip the 10-3:00 sun.

If not, try some sunsleeves. And keep sunscreen on your neck and face.
Old 05-04-21, 08:46 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I believe the OP is the very first cyclist to ever get a sunburn. How will the world continue on? Bikes will no longer stay upright for him, or allow shifting, braking, or coasting. It’s over. Damn you, Solus!
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-04-21, 09:30 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Sun sleeves are awesome, they are actually cooler than bare arms if you sweat even a little bit. I have some Voler in black, which befuddles some people that don't understand radiative heat transfer.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-04-21, 10:20 AM
HerrKaLeun

Don't forget the ear-lobes. The helmet doesn't cover them and they are high up, so more often in the sun than arms that also move around. Many cyclists that had ear skin cancer and the ear lobe removed. I kind of wish helmets would cover ears a bit - but that would not looks spandex-approved.

humans can live in the sun and in fact, before industrialization we spent most day outdoors without protection. Yes, that was before the ozone hole, but still.

I try to get my tan early in the season and have consecutively longer exposure. Many of my rides have occasional shade. Only on long rides that have a lot of sun I put sunblocker on. On very long sunny rides I take some SB with me to re-apply. When I bother with SB, it is SPF 50. I guess if I use it, I may as well do it right.

But even on shorter sunny rides, I put some SB on my ears.

There is some health risk with putting SB on your skin, so you weigh that against potential skin damage. Sun also is healthy, so no need to put SB on every time there is some sun.

I think the clothes that are rated to block UV are a bit of a scam. Yes they work, but regulars clothes work as well. UV has a high frequency (high energy), which is why it damages your cells (or plastic etc.). But that also means it dissipates very quickly. If you would measure UV behind a regular T-shirt, I doubt you could measure a lot. Not many people sunbath with many clothes on. I have really normal clothes and my forearms are tanned, but the upper arm or chest are as white as I'm in winter. So really no need to pay $ for special UV clothes.

Don't forget the eyes. Use glasses that have a certified 99% UV rating. Dark glasses open your pupils up, and then you don't want UV rays hit your eye cells. Cost of the glasses has no impact on the actual UV rating. At college we tested sunglasses and the cheap glasses blocked all UV, and the girls' fancy fashion sunglasses basically let all UV through, like they were designed to transmit UV. I use Bolle OSHA rated construction sun glasses. They are certified to block 99% of UV and cost $10. They also have clear HD glasses that block all UV as well.
Old 05-04-21, 11:29 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Late last summer I had a melanoma in situ removed from my right forearm just below the elbow crease. It really was a "benign" looking thing about the size of a pencil eraser. I just ordered some of those arm protectors.
Old 05-04-21, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
If you continue burning your skin will cook into a leathery brown and will never need sunscreen again you just really gotta let it burn and peel and burn and peel and burn and peel. Really roast that stuff. Maybe put on some Crisco before you ride to really sear up nicely.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-04-21, 08:25 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
smoked roasted arm jerky?
Old 05-05-21, 10:29 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
More than half of my riding buddies are gingers, and stops to replenish their coating of sunscreen are frequent. I get one mild burn in the early summer then don't worry about it much after that, but tend to stay covered up a lot of the time.
Old 05-05-21, 10:34 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I wish Voler made a balaclava out of their sun blocking material. Probably get sued by the blue man group though.
Old 05-05-21, 10:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,271 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Sun sleeves are awesome, they are actually cooler than bare arms if you sweat even a little bit. I have some Voler in black, which befuddles some people that don't understand radiative heat transfer.
To add additional seriousness to this thread for those who are actually serious about the subject...Voler makes some nice stuff. I have a pair of their arm and leg warmers that are a zillion year old yet still in decent condition.
Old 05-05-21, 09:21 PM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Use a sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) at least 30 or above and be reapplied for atleast every 2 hours. Also, look for shaded routes on tree-lined streets or trails.
Likes For ropetwitch:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.