Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island, Cowichan Trail, Salt Spring Island

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-21, 11:26 PM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Hello all,

This is a cross post from the Western Canada forum
https://www.bikeforums.net/western-c...sland-usa.html

I am trying to plan a route from Lopez Island up Vancouver Island and eventually arrive in Vancouver City.

Responses are probably best confined to the Western Canada forum.

Thanks,
Kev McDonald
Old 08-09-21, 12:54 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I have done similar routes several times.

Possible route:
  • Anacortes> Friday Harbor> Lopez Island> Friday Harbor > Sidney, Vacouver Island> Swartz Bay, Vacouver Island> Gulf Islands or Tsawassen, BC > Vancouver, BC
There is a lot of ferry time in the route. The ferries among the San Juan Islands are free. Check the ferry sites for COVID info. I believe the ferry from the San Juan Islands only leaves for Vancouver Island from Friday Harbor.
Old 08-09-21, 01:54 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
The Friday Harbour to Sidney ferry isn't currently running according to wsdot.
Please note that international service to and from Sidney, B.C. remains suspended. However, if we restart service to Sidney, we will announce in advance when those reservations will be made available.

[Last Updated: 8/2/2021 9:22:04 AM]
This is likely due to the border only being open one way.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ves...?terminalid=19
Old 08-09-21, 04:33 PM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
The Friday Harbour to Sidney ferry isn't currently running according to wsdot.

This is likely due to the border only being open one way.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/ves...?terminalid=19
Thanks Doug64 and Skookum. Looks like I am jumping the gun and I need to wait another month before doing this trip.

I am still curious about the Cowichan Trail and whether an old touring bike with skinny tires will be OK on the trail.
Old 08-09-21, 05:08 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Ammended:

​​​​​​My wife and I have done similar routes several times.

Possible route:
  • Anacortes> Friday Harbor> Lopez Island> Friday Harbor > Sidney, Vacouver Island> Swartz Bay, Vacouver Island> Gulf Islands or Tsawassen, BC > Vancouver, BC.
  • Friday Haebor> Lopez Island> Friday Harbor> Sidney, Vancouver Island> Victoria> Cowichan trail> end of trail near Nanaimo> Vancouver, BC.
  • Friday Haebor> Lopez Island> Friday Harbor> Sidney, Vancouver Island> Victoria> Cowichan trail> end of trail near Nanaimo> 19A to Courtenay> Powell River> Sunshine Coast Highway to Vancouver.
There are many variations, depending on how much time you have, and you interests. Also the direction you want to ride it. what do you consider "skinny tires"? https://bikepacking.com/routes/cowichan-valley-8/

There is a lot of ferry time in the route. The ferries among the San Juan Islands are free. Check the ferry sites for COVID info. I believe the ferry from the San Juan Islands only leaves for Vancouver Island from Friday Harbor.

If you get a chance to use those ferries, here are a couple of suggestions: We carry "ferry straps" . A ferry strap is a 4'-5' piece of 1/2" nylon webbing with a side release buckle on it. It is used to secure the bike to any thing that will work when parking your bike for the ferry ride. The other thing is a "parking brake". It is a small velcro band used to hold your brake lever close to the handle bar. This will keep you bike stationary.

The blue strap is holding my daughter's bike to the pipe in the parking deck of the ferry. The red band on our other daughter's brake lever is her parking brake.

This is the Fort Townsend to Coupeville Ferry. This could also be used in a loop. Ferry schedules always add a little challenge to logistics. This ferry is on a once a day schedule, if you miss it , it is a long wait, or Plan B.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-11-21 at 08:36 PM.
Likes For Doug64: