Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 03-04-21, 11:56 AM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Can anyone roughly translates the part where they are talking about flat feet?
Old 07-06-21, 11:09 PM
bicievino

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'm looking for input on mass-start front wheels.
I'm interested in buying a new front wheel for Masters Nationals (so, T-town). My inclination is to go with a Zipp FC 808, but it looks like that means hunting around for something used. I understand that many narrower/older wheels are sensitive to tire size, and wouldn't do well with a 23mm tire (which I'm guessing would be preferable on a concrete track).

The Corima 4-spoke, new iO, and FFWD 5-spoke all seem to be optimized around a 19mm tire (inferring based on rim width).
The HED GT3 was designed for a 23, but is out of production.
Are there other wheels I should be considering?
Old 07-07-21, 07:54 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
You'll be fine with a 23 on any of those wheels.
Old 07-07-21, 08:04 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
the new iO (Rio) was designed with wider tires in mind.
The Revolver is a good choice / alternative to the GT3 as well
Old 07-07-21, 08:29 AM
m@tty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
I ordered a tubular one of these. Same mold as the revolver.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/photowa...tml#javascript

mates well with a 23mm tub.
The downside was about a three month wait due to COVID and tubular being special order.
Old 07-07-21, 11:45 PM
bicievino

Oh, interesting. That LightBicycle trispoke is certainly a nicer price than an iO!
What's the hub like?
Old 07-08-21, 12:19 AM
m@tty

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bicievino
Oh, interesting. That LightBicycle trispoke is certainly a nicer price than an iO!
What's the hub like?
the hub appears to be well built as does the wheel I would buy again if I needed another front The only carbon wheels I have ever had any issues with have been from Zipp and I have owned HED, Corima, Zipp, Aerocoach, Lightbicycle, Mavic. To be fair to Zipp though they did replace both wheels I have had issues with under warranty.
Old 07-08-21, 10:57 AM
bicievino

Originally Posted by m@tty
the hub appears to be well built as does the wheel I would buy again if I needed another front The only carbon wheels I have ever had any issues with have been from Zipp and I have owned HED, Corima, Zipp, Aerocoach, Lightbicycle, Mavic. To be fair to Zipp though they did replace both wheels I have had issues with under warranty.
Cool - good to hear.
Guess I'll check with them about lead times. After what I spent on my new bike I wouldn't mind saving some money on a wheel.
Old 08-06-21, 07:13 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Anyone seen the new Dolan Styx (or one of it's many open mould names) in person yet?
Old 08-07-21, 07:47 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Anyone try to register for Masters Nationals? The button for registration appears to lead nowhere. https://usacycling.org/events/nation...rack-nationals
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-07-21, 11:07 PM
noreastersurf

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's on BikeReg. Had no problem registering.
Old 08-08-21, 07:21 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by noreastersurf
It's on BikeReg. Had no problem registering.
I see it now. When I posted I couldn't see anything. The same searches now result in stuff showing up. Thanks.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-08-21, 07:24 PM
carpediemracing 

Next question re: nationals, before I pester the promoters. Do I need to get an infield pass for myself? Or is that for other people who aren't racing, like (imaginary to me) coaches and such?
Old 08-09-21, 08:22 AM
topflightpro

For others who are not racing - coaches, spouse... You just show your race number to enter the infield.

And you can buy the infield pass on site.
Old 08-09-21, 03:46 PM
bicievino

Note that the schedule has changed from what was originally up on BikeReg.
Likes For bicievino:
Old 08-10-21, 05:37 AM
topflightpro

Yeah, I had to alter my hotel reservations.
Old 08-10-21, 08:51 AM
carpediemracing 

thanks for the info
Old 08-19-21, 07:47 PM
carpediemracing 

I was committed to going this Saturday and next Tuesday. Looks like Sat might be out - significant chance of rain. So I made the call now to cancel this Saturday to free up more "credit" for next Saturday, which is the last of the Saturdays. Tuesday, at this point, is still a go.

On the day of races there's the "move in" period where it seems like you have access to get big things in - rollers, work stand, etc. Then after about half an hour you have to move everything over the bridge.

Does each rider get a spot, is it first come first serve? I think (?) I need to get my rollers in there, at least a chair, tools, wheels, cooler. Seems like you want to bring all your stuff. If there are many people it seems like it might get full?

On Tues I'll go alone, next Tues. Next Saturday the 28th I'll drive down with the Missus and Junior on Friday the 27th, possibly early enough to see the Fri Night races.
Old 08-20-21, 04:57 AM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Carpediem- Are you talking about coming down this week for regular Sat and Tue night racing? If so, I can answer your questions.

Yes, there is a "load in" time on the schedule. That's when they open the gate to cross the track. It's way easier to get stuff across then. I use a wagon, and getting that over the bridge isn't fun.

The spots are first come, first served. It usually isn't a problem on regular race days. There's a big tent with chairs too. My crew and I usually grab a few chairs and set up there to try and stay out of the sun.

What category will you be racing on Sat? I'll be in the 55+ field.

Paul
Likes For 1incpa:
Old 08-20-21, 05:33 AM
1incpa

One other thing...They've gone to pre-reg only. Here's the link:
Ocean Spray Saturdays: Masters & Rookies Online Registration (bikereg.com)
Old 08-20-21, 07:46 AM
topflightpro

Agree, a wagon to roll things in is much easier than going over the bridge - especially for hauling out, since the stairs to get to the top of the bridge are longer on the infield.

Also, I generally know enough people there with tents that I jump in or next to them. (For much of the day, tents will actually provide shade to the next spot over.)
Old 08-20-21, 09:34 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by 1incpa
Carpediem- Are you talking about coming down this week for regular Sat and Tue night racing? If so, I can answer your questions.

Yes, there is a "load in" time on the schedule. That's when they open the gate to cross the track. It's way easier to get stuff across then. I use a wagon, and getting that over the bridge isn't fun.

The spots are first come, first served. It usually isn't a problem on regular race days. There's a big tent with chairs too. My crew and I usually grab a few chairs and set up there to try and stay out of the sun.

What category will you be racing on Sat? I'll be in the 55+ field.

Paul
Thanks. Yes, the regular Sat and Tues, or as the case may be now, the Tues (24th) and Sat (28th).

Having never done this before, is it normal to bring, say, a work stand? I have a folding Park one, as well as a much lighter, more compact fork/BB mount one (Blackburn TrakStand). I find it a bit awkward to change cogs or wheels without hanging the nose of the saddle on something. In NEV the cars are 50 feet from the track so I just do stuff at the car.

I assume my tools, cogs, rings, pump, wheels (I have 2-3 rears, 2-3 fronts, but really I use one front, one of two rears, and I'll have a spare front). A lawn chair or two. Rollers (I only have a regular size folding set, Kreitler plastic drum ones).

Jeepers this is a lot of stuff.

I'll need to go wagon shopping tomorrow. If it comes to it I could use a hand cart dolly thing. Or a rolling bag / toolbox / cooler with stuff on top of it. Hm maybe a rolling cooler that I can sit on. We could use it for regular races too.

I'd be racing Cat 4-5 and possibly M45, although that's highly unlikely. Not quite M55 at this time. I'm lacking any semblance of endurance and will struggle in the 3 km races. I'm still a 4 on the track.

Finally, and I know this is individual, but what kind of gear ranges do people use? I tend to use larger gears as I'm lacking pedal finesse and I'm also running 170 cranks. Last Tues at NEV I ran a 97 (54x15) and it seemed pretty reasonable, although I seemed to get to a power-cadence ceiling with that gear, at a speed much lower than I would hit on the road bike (32-33 mph - on the road I'm good at higher speeds, but I am much, much slower on the track). I started the night on a 104 (54x14) and that seemed high, too high, so I switched to the 15 for the actual races.
Old 08-21-21, 03:28 AM
1incpa

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Thanks. Yes, the regular Sat and Tues, or as the case may be now, the Tues (24th) and Sat (28th).

Having never done this before, is it normal to bring, say, a work stand? I have a folding Park one, as well as a much lighter, more compact fork/BB mount one (Blackburn TrakStand). I find it a bit awkward to change cogs or wheels without hanging the nose of the saddle on something. In NEV the cars are 50 feet from the track so I just do stuff at the car.

I assume my tools, cogs, rings, pump, wheels (I have 2-3 rears, 2-3 fronts, but really I use one front, one of two rears, and I'll have a spare front). A lawn chair or two. Rollers (I only have a regular size folding set, Kreitler plastic drum ones).

Jeepers this is a lot of stuff.

I'll need to go wagon shopping tomorrow. If it comes to it I could use a hand cart dolly thing. Or a rolling bag / toolbox / cooler with stuff on top of it. Hm maybe a rolling cooler that I can sit on. We could use it for regular races too.

I'd be racing Cat 4-5 and possibly M45, although that's highly unlikely. Not quite M55 at this time. I'm lacking any semblance of endurance and will struggle in the 3 km races. I'm still a 4 on the track.

Finally, and I know this is individual, but what kind of gear ranges do people use? I tend to use larger gears as I'm lacking pedal finesse and I'm also running 170 cranks. Last Tues at NEV I ran a 97 (54x15) and it seemed pretty reasonable, although I seemed to get to a power-cadence ceiling with that gear, at a speed much lower than I would hit on the road bike (32-33 mph - on the road I'm good at higher speeds, but I am much, much slower on the track). I started the night on a 104 (54x14) and that seemed high, too high, so I switched to the 15 for the actual races.
Some folks do bring work stands. I just lean my bike against something, or hang the handlebar over a railing to change my gears.

As far as a chair, if you get a spot in one of the "stalls" there is a bench in each one. If you choose to sit under the big tent, there are chairs. But it's not guaranteed that you'll get one. I usually throw a camp chair in my car just in case.

My usual race kit is: Bike with warm-up wheels, race wheels, gear/tool bag which lives in my backpack, a pump, full sized Kreitlers, a water jug and a small cooler for food. If I need it there's a camp chair in the car along with a spare pair of shoes.

It adds up. I try to take the minimum, but some people bring everything but the kitchen sink into the infield.

Gearing is all over the place. I tend towards smaller gears, a 92 or 94. But there are guys who regularly run 100 inch gears. So whatever you're comfortable with will work fine.

I won't be there on Tuesday, but I'll see you on Saturday. I'll be the old guy on the orange Tiemeyer, come say hi! It's always a fun day of racing!
Likes For 1incpa:
Old 08-21-21, 06:10 AM
carpediemracing 

Thanks for helping a newbie! I think I'll bring everything in the car and then decide what to bring into the track. So maybe the extra chairs or whatever stays in the car.

We'll see how Tues goes as we're in the path of the hurricane. Hopefully things are sort of normal.
Old 08-23-21, 01:43 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Japanese works stand. These are so, so useful for gear changes and I don't understand why they have never caught on outside of Japan.
Likes For Baby Puke:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.