Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Roadside Swag

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Roadside Swag

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 11:02 AM
mrleft2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirtirithon
Yeah, we had a guy (random guy, not an employee) get arrested and prosecuted for dumpster diving at my work a few years ago. Seems crazy, if its in the trash headed to the land fill and someone else might actually want to use an item that was tossed why not!
That is because he had to trespass to salvage the item, which could be used to describe stealing.
Old 07-06-12, 11:18 AM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
@Ira B: Actually, Apple may be able to trace it from the iTunes id.
Had wondered about that. I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-06-12, 11:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
A 5 weight St Croix flyrod, a 2 weight G. Loomis flyrod, two reels with line and backing and a double fly rod case. I still have the Loomis and the case.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-06-12, 11:35 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nothing of any interest while cycling. I did find a wallet while walking on the Penn State campus in State College. A quick look inside revealed a student ID card but it took an absolute age to find anywhere near where I found it that would let me hand it in.
Old 07-06-12, 11:57 AM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just called Apple tech support.
The previous owner had not bothered to register the ipod. Apple was kind enough to register it to me with the notation on my account that if the original owner contacts them with detailed information about the item they will pass him my e-mail.

Always wanted one of these doo hickies.
Old 08-26-21, 09:39 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Well I've been commuting by bike a long time so i have found a lot of good stuff at the side of the road. Five wallets i can remember, three driver's licenses without wallets. Twice i have found the complete contents of someone's wallet, scattered all over the road. One of those i saw it while riding to the station. I thought i could spare about thirty seconds to pick up as much as i could, but i wasn't keen on missing my train. When i got to work i looked at what I'd found, immediately found the guys phone number and called him up. I was able to tell him what credit cards I'd found, so he didn't have to cancel those, and i mailed it all to him. That evening i stopped and picked up anything still blowing around and mailed him that, too. That's a happy ending. The woman's purse w wallet &c in it, that i found by the railroad bridge, i turned it over to the police. There's a story to each one of the wallets I've found. Some endings are happier than others.

Two large chainsaws. That was funny. I stopped and looked at them, picked up one for a better look. I know nothing about chainsaws but they looked like good tools. They must have bounced out of someone's truck, and i thought whoever lost these is not up to the responsibility that a dangerous tool demands. Neither am I, for that matter. Well, pickup truck stopped and the driver laughed at me and said "how you gonna get that home?" and offered to drive the saw there himself. He confirmed they were not cheap tools. Nice guy. He and i were on that road the same time every day so I was a familiar sight... he knew i don't normally carry a chainsaw on my bike. I put both saws in the back of his truck and said "all yours, man!"

Four times i have found bicycles out with the trash. One was a decent KHS mtb. I had to put the wheels in right and fix a qr and pump up the tires before i could ghost ride it four miles home. Good bike! My daughter used it for years until it got stolen last year. The bike she had before that was a little Schwinn MTB with 22” wheels. I went back for that one with the car.
Another was a Diamondback mtb, nice steel frame, no suspension, good components. I ghost rode it home and gave that to a neighbor (probably a mistake). Also a black Raleigh Sports for my wife. The hub dates it to the month she was born. That was so close to home that i just walked both bikes.

And then there's the stuff ive gone back for with my wife's car. Two nice wooden canoe paddles. Boxes of Lego. An old wooden door.

That's not half....

Last edited by rhm; 08-26-21 at 09:46 PM.