Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help with this battery connector please

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 09:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can buy batteries with this magnetic connector? My OM is going to need a new battery next Spring and I can buy a replacement from OM (which I may do anyway, for the same small battery) but I am thinking of
doing a long tour where I would need at least 50 miles range and OM batteries aren't designed for that. I'm not skilled in anything electrical, but i know there are a ton of battery companies out there. What i don't know is if anyone uses this kind of
connector, because my lack-of-skill level requires something pretty plug and play. Here's a pic of the connector head. TIA for any leads.
Old 08-30-21, 10:55 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
For me, the picture didn't show. How about purchasing two batteries and carrying one in a backpack, rack or whatever?
Old 08-31-21, 09:23 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by 2old
For me, the picture didn't show. How about purchasing two batteries and carrying one in a backpack, rack or whatever?
Yeah, I may end up doing that but I'm exploring options. I think it's called a Rosenberg connector from what I've seen. But they're expensive and I can't find a battery manufacturer other than OM that uses them. The thing with buying multiple batteries (aside from the additional
unnecessary weight) is that OM batteries are not dumb batteries, there's a lot of tech in them, so they're pretty expensive. I'm also looking around to see if there are places that can just replace the old cells. The 40 mile battery from OM is $600, it is super light (3.5lbs), but for
uses other than this one tour I would never use the big battery so I'm trying to find a less expensive, albeit heavier, option for the tour. At home, the little ~20mile battery is more than enough for my needs @ $300 and lasts me 2 years easily before I think of replacing it due to discharge.
Old 08-31-21, 09:37 AM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
That's a Rosenberger connector (https://ebikes.ca/learn/connectors.html#Rosenberger). I use one on my custom battery pack for my Downtube 8FS with a TongSheng TSDZ2. Bought mine from Luna cycles but they have been out of stock now for over a year (I need to replace mine...). Grin Technologies makes a Satiator charger cable with a Rosenberger connector (https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicy...rosenberg.html), but they don't sell the cable by itself.

If anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know too!
Old 08-31-21, 09:57 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Numerozero
That's a Rosenberger connector (https://ebikes.ca/learn/connectors.html#Rosenberger). I use one on my custom battery pack for my Downtube 8FS with a TongSheng TSDZ2. Bought mine from Luna cycles but they have been out of stock now for over a year (I need to replace mine...). Grin Technologies makes a Satiator charger cable with a Rosenberger connector (https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicy...rosenberg.html), but they don't sell the cable by itself.

If anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know too!
So are you connecting the "connector" yourself to a battery pack you buy? What's involved? I'm wondering (if no other options come up) whether it is something I could just get an electrician to do? I can always take the cable in my declining battery with the Rosenberger connection and maybe see if someone can attach it to a new battery - any tips on what battery to look for, does it connect to any battery if I can get someone to solder or whatever it to it? Thanks.
Old 08-31-21, 10:07 AM
2old

I needed to change connectors on a system and (admittedly this was extremely simplified and may not apply in every instance) was able to just use crimp connectors to change the "different" one so the ones on controller and battery were uniform. Also, check ebikemarketplace in Las Vegas. I haven't used them, but they "seem" knowledgeable. My daughter resides there and if you have anything specific you need to know, might be able to help.
Old 08-31-21, 10:55 AM
linberl

I needed to change connectors on a system and (admittedly this was extremely simplified and may not apply in every instance) was able to just use crimp connectors to change the "different" one so the ones on controller and battery were uniform. Also, check ebikemarketplace in Las Vegas. I haven't used them, but they "seem" knowledgeable. My daughter resides there and if you have anything specific you need to know, might be able to help.
I sent them an email with pics to see if they can help out. Thanks for the source.
Likes For linberl:
Old 08-31-21, 08:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Specialized and a lot of other Brose equipped bikes have been using Rosenberger plugs for years. Granted the batteries are unlikely to be interchangeable but it is a fairly common connector.
Old 08-31-21, 09:58 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Specialized and a lot of other Brose equipped bikes have been using Rosenberger plugs for years. Granted the batteries are unlikely to be interchangeable but it is a fairly common connector.
Okay, allow me to be stupid. If the connector fits, why wouldn't any battery work? I understand some are more and some are less powered, but it's basically batteries pushing juice. The "brains" are in the motor, right?

My knowledge is above average when it comes to bicycles but below average when it comes to electric stuff. That's why I bought a super easy to install and use e-bike kit, lol.

Last edited by linberl; 08-31-21 at 10:56 PM.
Likes For linberl:
Old 09-01-21, 07:21 AM
2old

Originally Posted by linberl
Okay, allow me to be stupid. If the connector fits, why wouldn't any battery work? I understand some are more and some are less powered, but it's basically batteries pushing juice. The "brains" are in the motor, right?

My knowledge is above average when it comes to bicycles but below average when it comes to electric stuff. That's why I bought a super easy to install and use e-bike kit, lol.
I've employed that philosophy without a problem on all my projects, but watch out for the jackals that try to impress with contrarian statements or excess verbiage. DW can provide a definitive answer.
Old 09-01-21, 05:25 PM
Numerozero

So are you connecting the "connector" yourself to a battery pack you buy? What's involved? I'm wondering (if no other options come up) whether it is something I could just get an electrician to do? I can always take the cable in my declining battery with the Rosenberger connection and maybe see if someone can attach it to a new battery - any tips on what battery to look for, does it connect to any battery if I can get someone to solder or whatever it to it? Thanks.
I bought a 52 V 7A mini battery pack from Biktrix, then customized it by adding a Luna on/off switch, a Grin DC to DC converter so that I can recharge a laptop or a phone, a 3-pin XLR charging port to charge it with my Grin Satiator, and a Rosenberger magnetic connector so I can quickly disconnect and remove the battery when I go into a store.

The Rosenberger wire has two thick main power leads, red and black. I just ignored the 4 smaller wires which some manufacturers use for communications.

I connected them using 30 Amp Anderson connectors.
Old 09-01-21, 07:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts

Size, shape and connectors are a big part but also the BMS and firmware might be for a specific bike or companies batteries. A lot of batteries are actually quite "brainy"
Old 09-01-21, 08:16 PM
linberl

I bought a 52 V 7A mini battery pack from Biktrix, then customized it by adding a Luna on/off switch, a Grin DC to DC converter so that I can recharge a laptop or a phone, a 3-pin XLR charging port to charge it with my Grin Satiator, and a Rosenberger magnetic connector so I can quickly disconnect and remove the battery when I go into a store.

The Rosenberger wire has two thick main power leads, red and black. I just ignored the 4 smaller wires which some manufacturers use for communications.

I connected them using 30 Amp Anderson connectors.
Okay you clearly know waaay more about this than I do. But it helps me realize I can't do what you did, lol.
Old 09-01-21, 08:20 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Size, shape and connectors are a big part but also the BMS and firmware might be for a specific bike or companies batteries. A lot of batteries are actually quite "brainy"
Well, that's unfortunate. It would have been so much easier if menufacturers put all the elements in the motor so that the batteries could be easily replaced and interchanged. But of course, they wouldn't. Ugh.
One thing I am hoping is that I can get the individual batteries replaced when my e-bike battery dies; it appears to just be a bunch of 18650 AA batteries attached in some kind of grouped connector. Would really
be ridiculous to toss out the whole thing and waste all those "brains" now, wouldn't it?!!

I suspect I will just have to consider buying 2 of the larger OM batteries for my trip, which is annoying since I don't need them at all otherwise. I much prefer the small battery for my everyday use. Oh, well.....
Old 09-02-21, 10:10 AM
Numerozero

How about asking OM whether you can just buy a battery pack with a built-in BMS, but wire it to a Rosenberger connector? Or even if they will sell you a Rosenberger cable?
Old 09-02-21, 10:59 AM
linberl

How about asking OM whether you can just buy a battery pack with a built-in BMS, but wire it to a Rosenberger connector? Or even if they will sell you a Rosenberger cable?
OM batteries come with the Rosenberger connection. My issues is that for one specific use I need a battery that is larger than what OM sells. I can take the cable out of my existing and depleting battery if I need to, my
problem is I don't know how to connect it to a bigger battery and don't know which ones would work with my OM. The OM system is designed perfectly for me 99% of the time (super light with more than adequate range)
but it's not intended for long tours. Since this is a one-time thing, i don't want to buy a new bike, or rent one (since my fit issues are plentiful), or spend $1200 on two of the largest OM batteries when generic batteries
with 50-60 mile range can be had for much less especially when I won't use them after the trip (heavier and bulkier than my small OM battery). It may not be possible, however.
Old 09-02-21, 11:33 AM
2old

Is it possible to purchase one battery and use it with your depleted old battery or is that still not enough? Also, you're intelligent enough to cut the connector from your old battery and crimp (don't need to solder) it to another less expensive battery which should work (I purchased 1 52V, 4 ah battery on ebay not long ago for about $250). Last possibility is to charge along the way (like when having lunch). Many batteries charge to 80% pretty rapidly.
Old 09-02-21, 11:54 AM
linberl

Is it possible to purchase one battery and use it with your depleted old battery or is that still not enough? Also, you're intelligent enough to cut the connector from your old battery and crimp (don't need to solder) it to another less expensive battery which should work (I purchased 1 52V, 4 ah battery on ebay not long ago for about $250). Last possibility is to charge along the way (like when having lunch). Many batteries charge to 80% pretty rapidly.
So what I don't understand is whether any battery will work if the connector is attached that fits my motor. Seems from the comments that's not the case. My old battery is probably only going to have a ten mile range by next spring so not enough to make carrying it worthwhile. I could do one large and one small OM batteries, for $900. But I'd like to spend less if possible since I won't use the large battery except for the trip (since I carry my bike up stairs a lot, the extra couple pounds is a big deal).
Old 09-02-21, 12:01 PM
2old

I don't see why any good battery can't work with the appropriate connector as long as it can supply the needed charge (which I don't think is a problem). You just need to purchase a decent battery. UPP has detractors, but IMO will have a good enough battery for your purpose. Of course, Grin has great, but expensive batteries. I've never had a problem doing what you propose. Perhaps DW or C58 will respond; they're experts.
Old 09-05-21, 08:28 AM
northernjeep

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Try Grin Technologies out of Vancouver BC.
Old 09-07-21, 08:37 AM
2old

OP, I forgot, but Chuckles reminded me in another thread, that some battery providers will allow you to specify connector type for the "output" wires (ones going to your controller) and solder those on or provide a connector from their battery to your controller.
Old 09-07-21, 09:14 AM
linberl

OP, I forgot, but Chuckles reminded me in another thread, that some battery providers will allow you to specify connector type for the "output" wires (ones going to your controller) and solder those on or provide a connector from their battery to your controller.
Great tip. I will ask Grin as they don't offer rosenberger connectors on their website, but I could certainly send them my current one. I can take things apart really well - it's the back-together that messes me up, lol.
Likes For linberl:
Old 09-08-21, 12:02 PM
Numerozero

Not sure if your trip is rural or urban, but the Grin Satiator charger is basically waterproof, and designed to be strapped onto a bike frame. Your OM charger is already faster (200 Watts) than the usual cheap charger (100 Watts), but the Satiator is rated for 360 Watts. That means charging the big OM battery in about an hour, instead of "just under 2 hours".
Old 09-08-21, 12:48 PM
linberl

Not sure if your trip is rural or urban, but the Grin Satiator charger is basically waterproof, and designed to be strapped onto a bike frame. Your OM charger is already faster (200 Watts) than the usual cheap charger (100 Watts), but the Satiator is rated for 360 Watts. That means charging the big OM battery in about an hour, instead of "just under 2 hours".
Well I could probably get by with just one of the larger ones, maybe. But then I'm still stuck with it after and probably wouldn't use it. What I'd like is those Grin little flatpack batteries with a rosenberger connector.
It says there is an XLR to rosenberger connector available (yay) but it is just power leads. I guess that means it would work to charge my OM battery. I wonder if that same adapter could be used to convert other batteries to compatibility with the OM motor?