Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do I Even Need Panniers?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do I Even Need Panniers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-21, 08:40 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Do I Even Need Panniers?

Going to down to one car in my household. I won't be commuting to work at all. Just need a bike to go to the store and random appointments around town. Before I she'll out $180 for panniers, is there an easier cheaper way?. My bike has a rear rack but maybe I can just get some kind of baskets? Panniers look better for sure but if I could find baskets that are easy to take off that might be a solution.

Most I'd need to carry would be groceries for a family of three of 5-7 days
Old 09-20-21, 09:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
This question might be answered better if it were posted in Living Car Free, even though you're only talking about car light.

If you're grocery shopping once a week, I'd suggest driving the one car one day a week.

You could try baskets, but even the pannier style baskets only carry about one (20 pound) standard paper grocery bag each.

If I were doing grocery shopping for three people, I'd take a pair of my biggest panniers shopping every 2-3 days. The lid on the panniers keeps things from popping out over the rough roads in my city. And the waterproof panniers means things in paper and cardboard containers don't get soggy on the way home on rainy days.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-20-21, 10:49 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You don't need fancy panniers for grocery runs. These $30 ones will work:

https://www.amazon.com/BV-Panniers-A...d=3403421&th=1

Keep some plastic trash bags in the side pockets in case you get caught in the rain.

You can carry a load much more comfortably in panniers than in a basket on top of the rack.
Old 09-20-21, 01:08 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
There are very expensive panniers but also very inexpensive ones available. My first set was a pair of U.S. Army surplus shoulder bags that I adapted to clip onto a rear bike rack. At the time there were no panniers available in the USA and eventually I bought a pair from a store in the UK.

Most of the panniers being sold are large enough to hold a "standard" grocery bag which makes it convenient to go from store to bike to home. Good selection on Amazon along with customer reviews.
Old 09-20-21, 02:12 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeNovice1
…Most I'd need to carry would be groceries for a family of three of 5-7 days
I buy for 3 and make 2-3 grocery runs per week with 2
Basil Bottle Baskets:

Of course, we’re chow hounds.

For bigger loads I use a trailer.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 09-21-21, 07:20 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I think a trailer would work best for large grocery runs. Just google "Bikeforums.net groceries trailer"

And you could still add panniers or baskets (Wald folding baskets) for more carrying capacity. (Don't forget about front panniers too.)
Old 09-21-21, 07:45 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Kitty litter pannier
Likes For kingston:
Old 09-24-21, 09:39 AM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
There's also Wald folding baskets
https://waldsports.com/store/rear-ba...olding-basket/
Likes For ratell:
Old 09-24-21, 10:13 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I have used crap grocery panniers (from Nashbar) and expensive grocery panniers (from Jandd). The crap ones, well, crapped out pretty quickly due to cheap construction. In both cases, they were designed to fit exactly one brown paper grocery bag. But if you aren't packing your groceries that way, you don't need to use a grocery pannier and regular Ortliebs or something might be a better choice. Or just a big backpack, depending on how far you're going.

I'm not inclined to use wire baskets, but I've never tried them, so what do I know? My understanding is that they don't hook on, they bolt on, and for the way I use my commuter, I wouldn't want them rattling around the rest of the time.
Old 09-24-21, 10:34 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
.,,My understanding is that they don't hook on, they bolt on, and for the way I use my commuter, I wouldn't want them rattling around the rest of the time.
Basil Bottle basket just hangs on rack. You do get metal to metal wear if used a lot. I put sacrificial plastic on the wear points on my rack.

Last edited by flangehead; 09-24-21 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-24-21, 10:42 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
And here's a Topeak trunk bag that I've had for the past 7 yrs. that I use for commuting, that has fold out panniers. Though it's probably not great for a "large" 5-7 day grocery shopping, but it does attach/detach from it's proprietary rack (sold separately) in seconds, which could help you to easily and quickly carry the groceries inside.
Old 09-24-21, 10:52 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Baskets are super convenient IMO. My wife's favourite bike has a giant Wald newspaper delivery basket and this can carry my two largest panniers as well as another ten pounds of loose stuff. Baskets that attach to the sides of a rear rack like panniers are also very practical, esp. the folding type.

The disadvantage is that they are generally not easily removed, so your bike is immediately a few kg heavier. Panniers are generally quick mount/release and so you only have the added weight of the rack (>1kg) that stays on the bike.

If you have only one bike and use it for running errands and for recreational riding, then panniers are a better option. If you are planning on having a bike dedicated to carrying groceries and whatnot, and keeping a separate unladen 'recreational' bike then baskets are great.
Old 09-24-21, 11:01 AM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Here ya go. Locking and Secure. Easily removed with key. I also have a set of Panniers coming from Amazon for an amazing price around $30.

Old 09-26-21, 06:55 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm a big fan of the Arkel Shopper panniers. I've had a pair for 11 years, each is big enough to hold about one full supermarket hand basket and have a expandable draw-string top that allows it to be filled above the brim with no risk of things falling out when riding home. The cam-lock hooks are extremely solid, even holding when only one is hooked on - I've ridden for a mile or so with a pannier on one hook swaying in the back before I realized it, the heavier the load the harder the cams grip. They are rather spendy, but I've found them well worth it. You may need to get a better rear rack as the rear can rub on the tires if the rack isn't made for larger panniers, and if you have shortish chainstays, you may clip the pannier with your heels, fortunately the cam-locks have adjustable mountings.
https://www.arkel-od.com/shopper-foldable/