Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

I just bought...

Old 10-31-17, 11:49 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I just bought...

It's winter in the US. Not much racing going on. Lots of boring training...and buying cool stuff.

This kind of thread is popular in other sub-forums.

Soooo...what cool (or boring) track-related thing did you buy recently?

Last edited by carleton; 10-31-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-31-17, 12:48 PM
Franklin27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of Shimano Durace cogs. The 14t and 13t. They are nice

As a former roadie, the Durace logo was enough (or at least aliviates a little) to nicely suffer the recriminations of my angry lady when she knew that those two little metal things almost costed me 100 dollars (Ship from US to Bolivia included).

Now I want to buy a good alux frame (it will be nice to sleep in the couch for the next six months).
Old 10-31-17, 12:59 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin27
Now I want to buy a good alux frame (it will be nice to sleep in the couch for the next six months).
If she tosses and turns as much as my wife, then not only did you get some nice parts, but better sleep too.
Old 10-31-17, 02:46 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new lifting belt just arrived this week! Sure, boring commodity item... but lifting offers so few opportunities for retail therapy compared to cycling.
Old 10-31-17, 03:09 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just ordered a hatta swan bb and some EAI "arrow" rims. I'm interested to see how they are. I can't find much info on them.
Old 10-31-17, 03:21 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
47T chain ring. Dura-Ace. Light! 47/14 next season (90 inches).
Old 10-31-17, 09:34 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I just ordered a set of these: VP-R73T
I've been eyeing them for a few years, and I've seen several people using them happily here. They still seem to be the only production pedal with a built-in strap retention system that locates the strap in the proper place. Plus, cleats for my 7400's are now more than $65/pair! It no longer makes sense to keep them. Reviews after they arrive...
Old 11-01-17, 07:32 AM
carleton
Elitist

I recently bought a budget 3D Printer.

Now I can make all of those bike parts that I wish I were being made for trackies.
Old 11-01-17, 08:14 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50mmx-40c...72.m2749.l2649

I just bought an attempt at saving $30 on track straps. Just cut and secured a hole for the axle, going to give them a try tonight.
Old 11-01-17, 08:44 AM
Hrothgar42

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of printing, I got this saddle-rail garmin mount earlier this summer, and it’s been great. I just have to remember to always get the garmin turned back on before the next race...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GRXBH32ND/
Old 11-01-17, 08:48 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Hrothgar42
Speaking of printing, I got this saddle-rail garmin mount earlier this summer, and it’s been great. I just have to remember to always get the garmin turned back on before the next race...

oh, nice. i know of other 3d printed ones that have a rep for failing at the rail attachment, but this nice little ziptie and wedging approach looks pretty solid. definitely better than my homemade approach.
Old 11-01-17, 08:50 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hrothgar42

Would second this, I bought the same thing from *I think* the same guy on ebay...
Old 11-01-17, 10:02 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I recently bought a budget 3D Printer.

Now I can make all of those bike parts that I wish I were being made for trackies.
I saw some use a 3-D printer to make a clamp for their DF4 seatpost to prevent slipping.
Old 11-01-17, 10:44 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
Would second this, I bought the same thing from *I think* the same guy on ebay...
I also bought the same thing from this guy. While it doesn't exactly fit my Adamo saddle, it still works well enough. The only thing is that you have to remember to turn it on and spin the wheels to wake up the wheel sensor so you can record all of the effort. Worth every penny!
Old 11-01-17, 11:44 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I just bought a couple things for my road bike - 165mm cranks (down from 170), and a Specialized Power saddle.

I put the Power saddle on first - it took some tinkering to get my position right again - lowering the saddle and moving it back quite far. Once I got that right, though, I started to feel as though I could still ride longer, and move from a 110mm stem to a 120.

Then I put the 165mm cranks on. I definitely felt more comfortable riding low - my hip stays open over the top of the stroke. And, yeah, still think I could ride longer. I have 40cm Ritchey NeoClassic bars on my road bike, but I might put the 38cm traditional bend drops from my track bike onto my road bike. That will keep my drop constant but add a hair more reach. Plus, it'll narrow me up a bit.

About to put 165 cranks on my track bike, too (down from 167.5) - and considering buying 36cm bars for it too.
Old 11-01-17, 12:16 PM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just bought a kmc x101 chain and a set of look blade pedals for a pursuit bike build
Old 11-01-17, 12:36 PM
topflightpro

I bought a new battery for one of my SRMs. Does that count?
Old 11-01-17, 01:21 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by queerpunk
I just bought a couple things for my road bike - 165mm cranks (down from 170), and a Specialized Power saddle.

I put the Power saddle on first - it took some tinkering to get my position right again - lowering the saddle and moving it back quite far. Once I got that right, though, I started to feel as though I could still ride longer, and move from a 110mm stem to a 120.

Then I put the 165mm cranks on. I definitely felt more comfortable riding low - my hip stays open over the top of the stroke. And, yeah, still think I could ride longer. I have 40cm Ritchey NeoClassic bars on my road bike, but I might put the 38cm traditional bend drops from my track bike onto my road bike. That will keep my drop constant but add a hair more reach. Plus, it'll narrow me up a bit.

About to put 165 cranks on my track bike, too (down from 167.5) - and considering buying 36cm bars for it too.
You are a much different (and better) rider than me, but I did the same the season I went to 165mm. I put 165mm cranks on my road bike and rode it that winter and spring then raced 165mm on my track bike that summer. My pedaling was sooo dialed that season. I recall averaging 110 RPM on a short road ride once...averaging. Hills will suck on the road, but your pedal stroke will achieve so many gains.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I bought a new battery for one of my SRMs. Does that count?
YES.
Old 11-01-17, 01:25 PM
bartek. 

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not really intended to buy now but due to nice deal (reduced price+black friday promo) just ordered a Mavic iO RIO + Comete wheelset at velodromeshop.net. Ah, and 3T Scatto 35mm but this actually wanted to buy and by "accident" added the wheels to my basket
Old 11-01-17, 01:59 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by bartek.
Not really intended to buy now but due to nice deal (reduced price+black friday promo) just ordered a Mavic iO RIO + Comete wheelset at velodromeshop.net. Ah, and 3T Scatto 35mm but this actually wanted to buy and by "accident" added the wheels to my basket
Good luck with that purchase.

Velodromeshop.net is known as the black hole of orders. Orders go in, but nothing ever comes out.
Old 11-01-17, 02:50 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I am aware of this. I don't really care if I need to wait even 4 weeks for the wheels. It was dealbreaker and I didn't really plan to buy them. I actually made 2 separated orders. I got email on next day that the Scatto is already shipped to me. This is the only priority for me, and it looks promising. I guess some delays are due to customs, they can hold packages for weeks. Same as any packages from US, sometimes I get them in 7 days, sometimes after 6 weeks. It happens. In this case, both countries are in EU so it should go quickly.

Anyway, I asked few local friends and they gave me positive feedback about this shop. Also, most of the negative reviews are 7-10 years old. Even on the website they said that they changed postage service in 2012 to Royal Mail and DHL. So, I guess most of the reviews might be out of date.
Old 11-01-17, 02:59 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by bartek.
Yeah, I am aware of this. I don't really care if I need to wait even 4 weeks for the wheels. It was dealbreaker and I didn't really plan to buy them. I actually made 2 separated orders. I got email on next day that the Scatto is already shipped to me. This is the only priority for me, and it looks promising. I guess some delays are due to customs, they can hold packages for weeks. Same as any packages from US, sometimes I get them in 7 days, sometimes after 6 weeks. It happens. In this case, both countries are in EU so it should go quickly.

Anyway, I asked few local friends and they gave me positive feedback about this shop. Also, most of the negative reviews are 7-10 years old. Even on the website they said that they changed postage service in 2012 to Royal Mail and DHL. So, I guess most of the reviews might be out of date.
There are people on this forum who have had recent issues with them. There is a recent thread on the Track Sprinting FB group about them. Like within 2 weeks.

The shops style of business is to say they have every popular product on earth in stock and at a discount. This is really attractive to new riders who are looking for hard to find items like Scattos, fast helmets, wheels, frames, etc...

Velodrome Shop will take your money then try to order the product from another company or distributor. If that product is out of stock or the manufacturer hasn't made any, then Velodrome Shop does not contact you. You just wait....and wait...and wait... This has nothing to do with customs. This happens before your product reaches customs.

Their website looks old because they have been around for a long time...doing this same thing. They have also been known to not honor returns by saying "Geee...it never arrived. I will not refund your money." They have been known to ship the wrong sizes and wrong products.

For every good story I hear about them, I hear 5 bad ones.

I wish you luck. Seriously. I hope all of your purchases arrive quickly.

No matter how good their deals are, I would never give them my CC number.

EDIT: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1716...8828482130009/

Last edited by carleton; 11-01-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 03:10 PM
bartek. 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I know many online shops that don't have anything in stock even if they say they do. It can be similar here. On the other hand our local official Mavic distributor is known for waiting up to 6 months for top-hi products such as iO wheel and they charge only €1000 more for this ;-)
According the "in stock" for anything, this actually was interesting as Scatto in 37mm are out of stock on their page, only 35mm were available. So, I keep my fingers crossed.

In case of any problems/delays I can use charge back option from my bank and don't have to ask them multiple times for refunding.
I will let you know if there will be problems with my orders or not. It's like with Dolan DF4. People leave reviews when they want to complain not when everything is fine.
The most important for me is quality of products, not the time of delivery. At least in this case ;-)

PS. You don't give them CC numbers, paying process is done by external company. Something like PayPal just for credit/debit cards.
Old 11-01-17, 03:56 PM
jfiveeight

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought round rings to replace my ovals on the road bike for winter training, they will only enhance the super matchyness of it on accident. Also hyped to mount Vittoria Pista Speed G+ on my rear disc for next year.

Originally Posted by VanceMac
My new lifting belt just arrived this week! Sure, boring commodity item... but lifting offers so few opportunities for retail therapy compared to cycling.
Which one did you go with? Once I got the right form with the belt it helps ensure I stay in good form during heavy days. A great purchase.
Old 11-01-17, 04:03 PM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
BLS straps

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.