Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bridgestone RB-1, minus the cult price

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bridgestone RB-1, minus the cult price

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 06:30 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
...and it's already reasonably priced.
Old 07-05-20, 06:42 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
I have a 1986 Trek Elance 310. The frame and fork are both Ishiwata tubing.

The fork at least is made by Bridgestone - it has the distinctive stamped 'B' logo on the steerer tube. I suspect the the frame was made by Bridgestone also, there was a 'Made in Japan' sticker on the seat tube just above the bottom bracket.

Looking at pictures of both bikes, the frames appear to be extremely similar. If you pick up an Elance 310, you'll get a very nice riding bike without paying the RB-1 tax.
Old 07-05-20, 08:26 PM
eyemkeith

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
I did see that, yah. But I'm vertically challenged. I'd need a 50 to 52 cm frame.
Old 07-05-20, 09:12 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
What I meant was, if the RB-1 is really a cult classic, maybe I should keep it myself. I quit riding it after one ride, six years ago, upon my return to riding after a ten year hiatus. It was a very rough ride and shook my bones. Soon after I bought a "touring" bike on sale at REI, a more upright riding position and 700x40c tires.

In the meantime, I've been researching tires and am thinking that the harsh ride I experienced on that last ride was maybe due to the 700x23c Gatorskins I had just installed on the wheels. So maybe I should just get better tires and ride the Bridgestone again. You know, as a spare bike.
heh, I was just messing with you. I’m not familiar with the RB-1 and it’s the tire clearances but I can tell you my 1972 Italvega Super Speciale with sloping crown fork has enough clearance front and back to handle 700C x 38 max. I ride Compass / now Rene Herse 700C x 35 Bon Jon Pass Extralight clinchers on Mavic MA3 rims laced onto low flange Campagnolo hubs. I’m about 210 pounds so I started at 60/65 psi F/R because I couldn’t wrap my head around lower pressures even with larger tires. They were great!, such a change from the 700C x 25 Paselas I first used which were pretty decent. I now ride them at 42-45F/50-52R and they still feel great, roll fast as well. If you can get past them looking like they are running kinda low under load, they are worth the price. Even a good 28 or 32 may may a huge difference, especially at lower pressures.

i would suggest measuring carefully and see how big a tire you could fit onto the RB-1, or if clearances are tight, consider a 650B conversion. The smallest Rene Herse has there is 650B x 38.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-20, 03:45 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Question to the OP: What do you consider a 'cult' price? I have a RB-1 I am selling and it is priced at what I believe to be a fair price.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 07-06-20, 03:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
What I meant was, if the RB-1 is really a cult classic, maybe I should keep it myself. I quit riding it after one ride, six years ago, upon my return to riding after a ten year hiatus. It was a very rough ride and shook my bones. Soon after I bought a "touring" bike on sale at REI, a more upright riding position and 700x40c tires.

In the meantime, I've been researching tires and am thinking that the harsh ride I experienced on that last ride was maybe due to the 700x23c Gatorskins I had just installed on the wheels. So maybe I should just get better tires and ride the Bridgestone again. You know, as a spare bike.
Maybe?

I never thought Gators to be harsh but many do, they come in 32 and seem to ride great for me.

Last edited by merziac; 07-06-20 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-06-20, 04:09 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Maybe?
You make a good point. At one time, that bike was my favorite. But I've moved away from drop bars as a preferred steering form factor. I'm not as flexible as I used to be. I'm into the wider tires and lower pressure, and a little less aero position than I used to be. Butterfly bars or Jones bars are preferred. But still, there was something about riding that bike, like driving a sports car.

Or maybe it wasn't the gatorskins, and it was just me getting older.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 07-06-20, 04:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
You make a good point. At one time, that bike was my favorite. But I've moved away from drop bars as a preferred steering form factor. I'm not as flexible as I used to be. I'm into the wider tires and lower pressure, and a little less aero position than I used to be. Butterfly bars or Jones bars are preferred. But still, there was something about riding that bike, like driving a sports car.

Or maybe it wasn't the gatorskins, and it was just me getting older.
23's would be harsh at pressure no matter what imo. Again, many here will say that wheels and or tires can make all the difference, I would get the biggest tires on there that you can fit and see, wheels could help too if you get there with tires.
Old 07-06-20, 04:35 PM
ctak

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Centurion IronMan, numerous Trek 600 or 700 series
+1 for Centurion Ironman, particularly the 1986 model with Tange #1 (aka Master from '87 onward). Clears GP5000 700x32.

Frame geometry is the most important consideration in my world. Figure out your needs and then sort through brands that fit the bill. I like Lemond's 853 Reynolds Pro offerings, but the long top tube is a deal breaker.
Old 07-06-20, 05:21 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Just picked up my not RB-1, and gonna sell the PDG-90 cuz it turned out I needed a second road bike more than a second MTB.

I'm shocked at the weight, it's certainly feeling lighter than my Columbus SL bike.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 07-06-20, 09:57 PM
eyemkeith

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Question to the OP: What do you consider a 'cult' price? I have a RB-1 I am selling and it is priced at what I believe to be a fair price.
I’ve seen several rb-1s upward of $1k with zero gold or diamond plated anything on them. What size is your bike?
Old 07-06-20, 10:02 PM
sheddle

Thaaat might be survivor bias, I usually see them go for a premium but not that high. It's just that they tend to go fast unless you price them way too high.

$500ish seems like a decent eyeball estimate of what I usually see them listed as.
Old 07-06-20, 10:09 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
Buy once, cry once. Everything else is just an imitation.
I learned to take this approach for most things in my life awhile ago. Given my small income it often means saving up longer, but in the long run the decision is always worth it. After tooling around with old bikes for awhile and deciding what I really want, I decided to drop a (to me) large sum on one of the few I know I really desire and it’s a good feeling that I know will enhance my enjoyment of it rather than making the other (still capable and pretty, but to me lesser) options work.
Old 07-07-20, 08:27 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
Some good alternative suggestions so far. Since the Specialized Allez was mentioned earlier, just a reminder that their lower priced "Specialized Sirrus" model is out there, and it had the identical frame set with lesser components. Learned this when researching a $25, 1987 frame set which came my way. Don
Old 07-07-20, 04:03 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
...it’s a good feeling that I know will enhance my enjoyment of it rather than making the other (still capable and pretty, but to me lesser) options work.
Life is too short to be spending time on two-wheeled machinery that is isn't special to you.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 07-07-20, 04:11 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

60cm ctc, 62cm ctt

Originally Posted by eyemkeith
I’ve seen several rb-1s upward of $1k with zero gold or diamond plated anything on them. What size is your bike?
Old 07-07-20, 04:12 PM
rjhammett

Close to what mine is listed for and it is in excellent condition.

Originally Posted by sheddle
$500ish seems like a decent eyeball estimate of what I usually see them listed as.
Old 07-07-20, 04:49 PM
urbannightrider

Bikes: 86 Peugeot PX10(fixie), 89 Synergy RB-1, 80s Scapin, 80s Nashbar Toure LP, 01 Specialized Rock Hopper

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an 89 Synergy RB-1 listed for $500 locally myself. All original minus seat, tires and bar tape.
Old 07-07-20, 06:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
The buy once cry once mentality for an RB1 is odd to me because it doesnt seem like a grail bike when there are so many similar/equal frames from that period.

Panasonic, Miyata, Centurion, Schwinn, etc were all large brands with equal quality steel tubed road bikes. There were more large brands too, and then there are tons more of smaller brands of equal and better quality.

To each their own and all though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-07-20, 09:46 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Two points:

[1] The RB-1 was notable at the time primarily because it was a little outdated. Bridgestone made a lot of noise about it being the last steel production race bike, even when it wasn't. Specialized brought out steel Allez's later, Trek came out with the 400 later, and other smaller manufacturers like Davidson had production steel race bikes for years to come, even a decade later. The geometry was excellent, but you can find other bikes that have similar geometries, if that's the special sauce for you. Now, today, even a '93 RB-1 is 27 years old. If you're willing to buy a 27-year old bike, why not buy a 30-year old bike? Or 35 years old? There's no value today in being tied to the mythology of the RB-1 as the "last production lugged steel racing frame" when there's innumerable other lugged steel racing frames from many other manufacturers that are only, what, 10% older? There's a world of Italian steel from the 80's, Eddy Merckx, Raleigh, 531, Vitus if you want to get exotic, all of the candidates listed up thread, etc., etc., etc.

[2] ...but none of them will be an RB-1. If that's what your heart is set on and the mythology and nostalgia is important to you, keep searching for a deal on the RB-1 you want. Despite what I say in point #1 , I totally understand where you're coming from. There's an '89 RB-1 on Craigslist a few hours from me in my size that's dropped in price all the way down to $350 and if I had space, I'd probably make the drive to go check it out. I'm that curious about them, having read about them over and over in Bicycle Guide in my formative years. Right now, I don't have space and I don't think it would be any better a bike than the ones I already have, but I still feel the pull.
Old 07-07-20, 10:55 PM
sheddle

I mean... Maybe everyone had moved to brazing but I don't think the RB-1 being the "last production lugged steel racing bike" was even close to true.

Good note about the "tastefully outdated" thing though. Being slightly outdated allowed them to avoid some of the more dubious trends of the time (Biopace, poor quality early suspension forks, etc). At the same time, though, it ended up with problems later when they were so against suspension forks that they equipped the MB-1 with an awful suspension stem.

Was never a fan of them equipping racing bikes with barcons, either, though I think some pros did use those.
Old 07-08-20, 11:44 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Two points:

[1] The RB-1 was notable at the time primarily because it was a little outdated. Bridgestone made a lot of noise about it being the last steel production race bike, even when it wasn't. Specialized brought out steel Allez's later, Trek came out with the 400 later, and other smaller manufacturers like Davidson had production steel race bikes for years to come, even a decade later.
Yeah, the RB-1 was a little old fashioned even BITD. That's partly why bike mechanics liked them. No BS.

AFA the RB-1 being the last lugged steel production bike, I think it was a reasonable claim. I'm not sure if I understand your meaning, but I'm certain that the Specialized Allez and Trek 400 did not come out later than the RB-1. The Allez came out in 1981, or more realistically in 1982. 1989 was the last year of the lugged steel Allez, and by then it had been downgraded to a lower priced model. The 400 came out in 1984, when Trek became more of a full production bike line. The RB-1 was introduced in 1987 and continued till the end of Bridgestone USA in 94. IIRC the 400 kept going into the early 90s also, but it was more of an entry level serious road bike (relatively), not a top of the line model.

Personally I really liked the pre Grant Petersen Bridgestone road bikes from the early to mid 80s, but I also remember they were not big sellers. They were a little too weird and futuristic looking for the American market at that time.
Old 07-08-20, 11:51 AM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I 'd consider any good steel bike from the late 1980's to mid 1990's and be a little flexible. I was given a nice Miyata 612. I also have an old Miele and a nice old Norco Monterey. Both could use some $$$ spent on them, but they both ride nice, have decent components and look good. If you stay flexible you can find great bikes. (The Meile was USD $35 while the Norco was USD $75) for rediculously little money.
Old 07-08-20, 12:10 PM
sheddle

It really seems like a claim that's only true with like, a lot of qualifications. Discounting publicity stunts, I know steel bikes were used by a top line team as late as 2003 (the Cervelo Prodigy) and, I think 2001 as "standard" bike (Mercury Viatel used Lemond Zurichs, and also whatever titanium frame Lemond had at the time), and while I guess it's possible that every steel race bike since the early 90s was welded, it seems unlikey that they *all* were.

Like maybe the claim is "top of the product line steel lugged racing frame, as a mass production model" which I guess might be true?

e) just as a counter example, the De Rosa Neo Primato

Last edited by sheddle; 07-08-20 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 12:36 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
It really seems like a claim that's only true with like, a lot of qualifications.
I'll mostly agree with that, at least some qualifications. To me, the term production bike means the big bike manufacturers with full bike shop lines: Trek, Specialized, Bridgestone, Bianchi, Miyata, Giant, etc. IOW, yeah, mass production. It excludes purely racing bike manufacturers like Lemond and Colnago. If you want to consider various more boutique manufacturers production bikes, then obviously Bridgestones early 90s claim doesn't hold up. It's more semantics than anything. At any rate the big manufacturers did move to TIG steel in a big way and very abruptly around 1990, and also to lugged/bonded carbon for the top road models. FWIW and incidentally, this era was possibly the low point of the popularity of road bikes. Mountain bikes dominated sales.

It's probably ridiculous that we care about this sort of bike trivia anyway...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.