Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bridgestone RB-1, minus the cult price

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bridgestone RB-1, minus the cult price

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 03:34 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Yeah, the RB-1 was a little old fashioned even BITD. That's partly why bike mechanics liked them. No BS.

AFA the RB-1 being the last lugged steel production bike, I think it was a reasonable claim. I'm not sure if I understand your meaning, but I'm certain that the Specialized Allez and Trek 400 did not come out later than the RB-1. The Allez came out in 1981, or more realistically in 1982. 1989 was the last year of the lugged steel Allez, and by then it had been downgraded to a lower priced model. The 400 came out in 1984, when Trek became more of a full production bike line. The RB-1 was introduced in 1987 and continued till the end of Bridgestone USA in 94. IIRC the 400 kept going into the early 90s also, but it was more of an entry level serious road bike (relatively), not a top of the line model.
I don't personally agree with the claim of the "last production lugged steel racing bike". There's some truth in it, but it doesn't hold up on tighter inspection. But Bridgestone made a lot of noise about it at the time. Your points from your other response are valid here, because who wants to claim what qualifies as "production" and what doesn't? And what's a racing bike and what isn't? I mean, Officina Battaglin are now making the "Portofino", which could be raced, and it's a lugged steel frame... And the Eddy Merckx MX Leader lasted into the mid-90's, didn't it? {shrug}
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 07-08-20, 03:36 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Originally Posted by sheddle
It really seems like a claim that's only true with like, a lot of qualifications. Discounting publicity stunts, I know steel bikes were used by a top line team as late as 2003 (the Cervelo Prodigy) and, I think 2001 as "standard" bike (Mercury Viatel used Lemond Zurichs, and also whatever titanium frame Lemond had at the time), and while I guess it's possible that every steel race bike since the early 90s was welded, it seems unlikey that they *all* were.

Like maybe the claim is "top of the product line steel lugged racing frame, as a mass production model" which I guess might be true?

e) just as a counter example, the De Rosa Neo Primato
The Cervelo Prodigy and the Lemond's were all TIG-welded, not lugged. I can't swear to any others.
Old 07-08-20, 03:42 PM
mhespenheide 

Originally Posted by ctak
I'm not so familiar with Bridgestone - what was desirable or special about rb-1 geo? '91 seems pretty basic.
It wasn't anything outrageous, but rather pretty classic. But a lot of the American race bikes at the time were designed more around racing criteriums. In comparison, the RB-1 had a little lower bottom bracket, a little longer chainstays, a little longer top tube, and a little slacker seat tube angle. More of a classic European stage-racing geometry. In this, too, the RB-1 is not all that different from many other bikes -- there are plenty of other bikes that have similar geometries.

Again, the RB-1 stands out not in comparison to other bikes from the 80's, but in comparison to its major competitors at the end of the 80's and into the early 90's. It's an attractive bike, but our collective memory of it is heavily influenced by nostalgia.
Old 07-08-20, 03:54 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
It wasn't anything outrageous, but rather pretty classic. But a lot of the American race bikes at the time were designed more around racing criteriums. In comparison, the RB-1 had a little lower bottom bracket, a little longer chainstays, a little longer top tube, and a little slacker seat tube angle. More of a classic European stage-racing geometry. In this, too, the RB-1 is not all that different from many other bikes -- there are plenty of other bikes that have similar geometries.

Again, the RB-1 stands out not in comparison to other bikes from the 80's, but in comparison to its major competitors at the end of the 80's and into the early 90's. It's an attractive bike, but our collective memory of it is heavily influenced by nostalgia.
Also marketing - one amusing thing I read was that the Japanese view of Bridgestone bikes was more or less how we view Trek/Specialized/Giant bikes these days. Bridgestone still exists as a bike company there, by the way, though their racing bikes are under the "Anchor" sub-brand.

This isn't a knock on Grant either, he did great work finding a niche for what fundamentally could have just been high quality Japanese steel frames, all with good advertisements and (especially) clever part specifications.

except the softride suspension stem on the late MB-1. what the hell was that about Grant

Last edited by sheddle; 07-08-20 at 03:57 PM.