Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 06:58 PM
mortona42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lube n00b

I cleaned and re-lubed my chain, then went for a long ride in the rain and the lube did not last. Does anyone have a lube they recommend for riding in the rain?
Old 11-19-20, 09:33 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Chain-L is the best I have found: Home Page Chain-L High Mileage Bicycle Chain Lubricant
Old 11-20-20, 12:14 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
How long was it between applying the lube and riding? The lube needs to work its way into the chain.

I've been using NFS, but the new Silca lube looks to be even better.
Old 11-20-20, 06:47 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by mortona42
I cleaned and re-lubed my chain, then went for a long ride in the rain and the lube did not last. Does anyone have a lube they recommend for riding in the rain?
i just use a wax lube or parafin wax and then wax lube on top , i do my ride and just clean my drive train , and relube , wax lube has to be applied at the end of the ride , it should do just fine , but im not racing in the rain im just doing training and commute , i did a 2 hour trail ride with basic walmart wax lube and it never seems to be an issue , my DT is quiet and smooth !
if you want performace boosts from you lube you have to just strip the entire chain and use something molten speed wax that has dissolved particles that will get into the rollers and stay there , but you have to take your chain off almost every time , at least if you want that boost , if you find a way to apply molten wax to a chain on bike without making a mess let me know plZZZZZ
Old 11-22-20, 11:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've used Finish Line Ceramic in the PNW winters for many years. I use a heat gun with a shrink tube attachment. First I heat and dry the chain with the gun. Then wipe it clean. Then apply fresh lube and heat with the gun while pedaling 100 strokes. Then I wipe dry again. I never clean a chain with solvent or use wax. My lube job will last maybe 200 miles of rain riding. My chains last 1000s of miles. I've tried all sorts of materials and schemes and this has worked best for me. I understand that Chain L is also good, though I've never used it. I think my method of application and never cleaning with solvent are the keys to long chain life in the wet. Rain rides, in actual rain, are easier on gear than riding on wet roads after rain.
Old 11-22-20, 11:20 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I use Finish Line Wet Lube. Seems to work fine.