Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Which solid full fenders do you like?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Which solid full fenders do you like?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-21, 07:24 AM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Planet Bike Cascadia.
Old 11-13-21, 01:00 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Personally, I don't like full fenders, I have a pair Planet Bike Cascades (I think that was the model) that was on a vintage touring bike I had and they were a nuisance to keep adjusted; roads where I live are rough and after banging around for about a week, I would have to make minor adjustments to keep the fenders from hitting the tires, and that involved loosening the bolts readjust the rods both front and rear connectors on each fender on both sides, and tighten them back up again, sometimes I had to bend the metal rods a bit because somehow they would get bent just a bit, it was a real pain. Plus, they were noisy.

So, on my new touring I decided to try Topeak TX (again not sure of the model since there is no model name on them), these are half or maybe 3/4 full fenders, and they work just as good as the full fenders did at keeping crud off the frame and off of me. Plus, Topeak uses a latch system that you unlatch, slide the rail to adjust the fender and relatch, and there is only one rail latch to adjust on each side of the fender unlike the two on each side of the Planet Bike fender, easy, while it still comes unadjusted after about a week or two of riding it's fast and easy to adjust back without tools. These fenders are also a lot quieter than the Planet Bike ones were. Some people who I know that have these fenders cut out a 3 or 4-inch tab to make a flap from a milk carton and screwed/bolt it on to the end of the fenders, I have not found that to be necessary.