Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Improve my Bike?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Improve my Bike?

Old 07-06-21, 09:12 AM
MidLife50

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Improve my Bike?

Just completed 7 day tour 350 miles on GAP / C&O. Had a great time and already looking for next couple of outings. Have a long weekend already booked and doing preliminary planning for another 7 day ride in the Fall.

My question is what, if anything, could/should I do to improve my current bike for touring? Likely crushed gravel rail trail and paved riding mostly. Some gravel back roads.

Buying a new bike just set up for touring is probably not in the cards, but perhaps some upgrades to my current (Trek FX2) would be a good next step. Here's what's on it now (all stock, except I've added the MIK rack in the back and a set of Ortlieb Back Roller Classics):

Stock details per Trek archives

Any suggestions for good value-added upgrades? Or do I save my pennies and wait for that next N+1?
Old 07-06-21, 09:37 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Unless something is broken or worn, or causing you discomfort or worry, I wouldn't bother trying to change anything.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, maybe some new tires. Fatter tires will allow you to run a bit lower pressure and float over rough surfaces.

Also, check for wear on wear items like brake pads, grips, chain, and replace if starting to wear.

Other options:

Fenders
Lights
New helmet
Low-rider front rack
Clip-in pedals and shoes
Handlebar bag
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 07-06-21, 09:47 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Cobble Gobbler seatpost for increased comfort on the long bumpy stuff works for me (Cobl Gobl-R) https://road.cc/content/review/25025...arbon-seatpost
Old 07-06-21, 09:48 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Generally, the one upgrade you can make to a bike that gives you the most bang for your buck is high-quality tires. It's also an easy upgrade to make in isolation from everything else. But if you're satisfied with these tires, no need to change them. Similarly, there might be a different saddle that would be more comfortable, although that takes experimentation. I'm not a fan of flat bars for anything beyond in-town riding, but changing to drop bars would get expensive because you'd also need to change your brake/shift levers. You could add bar-ends to give yourself a second hand position. The bars on this bike are pretty wide for riding on roads or groomed trails—on my wife's town bike, we've cut 5" off the bars to put her hands closer together.

I would not make other changes.
Old 07-06-21, 09:48 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Wow!!! Long Great ride!!!

Apart from inspecting and reconditioning the parts on your bike that have received wear I have found the biggest change in the comfort of my ridding to be Tires and Gears.
Old 07-06-21, 10:08 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
New, nicer tires. Search here..there's lots of discussion on tires.

I've purchased and updated a couple Trek 7.x FX bikes for friends. Those hardcase tires are similar to riding on beef jerky.
Old 07-06-21, 01:09 PM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Don't know what type of pedals you have, but if they are what shipped with the bike you might want to get something a little sturdier.
As others have pointed out, if you like the bike as it is why bother changing anything?
Old 07-06-21, 01:59 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I hate to be a buzz kill, but... Tourists on this site are going to have their opinion, but what really counts is that you do not like about your bike. I have a number of touring bikes. When I get back from riding one, I take note of what could improve/ what I didn't like and tape it to the handlebars, and than I do something about it.
Likes For headwind15:
Old 07-06-21, 03:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Did you think anything was lacking?

Not sure what you are using for shoes, but many of us use bike shoes that use SPD cleats that are easily attached or unattached from the pedals. And pedals that one side connects to SPD cleats, the other side is for use with regular shoes.

I like a handlebar bag, all my valuables are in it, and things like granola bars, my phone, multi-tool, etc. It goes in restaurants and grocery stores with me.

On roads I like a flashing taillight, but not needed on rail trails.

As noted above, fenders. On a wet day you will really appreciate them. The photo below was a friends bike on the GAP and C&O on a rainy day, this was the last tour he did without fenders.

Old 07-06-21, 06:24 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Do shifting and braking work well enough? Are hubs and bottom bracket smooth? You can get better performance for more money, and only you'll know if that's worth it. Personally, I wouldn't.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 07-06-21, 07:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I never really liked those tires and would want better all around tires that are lighter and still puncture resistant. As others mentioned, some form of bar end. Past that a nicer, lighter set of wheels can be nice but before doing that you need to decide if this is a bike you'll keep using long term that it's worth putting the cost into. I always thought the FX series would make for excellent tourers so you may find it worthwhile to make the upgrade but with any of the parts upgrading might be best left till they need to be.
Old 07-07-21, 05:21 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by MidLife50
Just completed...Had a great time....doing preliminary planning...

My question is what, if anything, could/should I do to improve my current bike for touring? .....
Any suggestions for good value-added upgrades? ....

what do you think needs an upgrade?
why are you not satisfied with the current setup?
what's the problem?
what is not comfortable?
what isn't working as well as expected?
what improvements do you want or need?

if you have no answers to any of these questions..........then it ain't broke.

don't fix it.
Old 07-07-21, 05:54 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I didn't like the bars on my FX1 Disc, and replaced them with butterfly bars. More hand positions for avoiding fatigue, but uses the original brake levers. And the seat is pretty basic---I changed mine immediately. Other than that and tires, I don't know what else you'd do.

You say the Trek archive says fork is steel, but I think it's supposed to be aluminum this year. That's one reason I bought an FX1, that and the mechanical disc brakes as opposed to hydraulic (so that I can maintain them myself easily).
Old 07-07-21, 04:03 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Cobble Gobbler seatpost for increased comfort on the long bumpy stuff works for me (Cobl Gobl-R) https://road.cc/content/review/25025...arbon-seatpost
I have something similar that Nashbar offered probably 35 years ago... Haven't seen another one like it. Aluminum seatpost with a nuckle 'hinge' and an elastomer puck to absorb road vibration/bumps.

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 07-07-21, 05:08 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Aluminum seatpost with a nuckle 'hinge' and an elastomer puck to absorb road vibration/bumps.
Cane Creek makes several suspension seatposts that are fancier (and very expensive), but a similar idea.
Old 07-08-21, 08:00 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
As mentioned, fenders will keep drivetrain and you less dirty, but you will see that you most likely will touch the front fender with your toes at times. Careful not to fall or damage the fender.

better brake pads, ie Kool-Stop salmon colour, orange colour, will give better braking.

better tires are nice.
Re your flats, it's common for people not used to riding with weight is that they don't slow for bumps, potholes etc and do not un weight the wheel, so WHACK and can cause a pinch flat.
un weight meaning getting your behind off seat and for a fraction of second, unweighting the rear wheel a bit.
Makes a real difference to the weight and force going into the rear wheel.

PS, get bike store to retension your spokes
Old 07-09-21, 11:01 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Headwind and Saddlesores said it all. You were on the bike, on the ride, you know more about it than we can guess. If some of the suggestions strike a chord, the posters suggestions seem like good starts on upgrades.
That, and anodized aluminum valve caps in cool colors.
Old 07-09-21, 11:30 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Journal of a guy who rode VA to OR on a Trek FX: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/sambike2019
Old 07-10-21, 10:07 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Cane Creek makes several suspension seatposts that are fancier (and very expensive), but a similar idea.
IIRC, my seatpost was probably around $19 35 years ago.. I've only replaced the puck once in that time. That is a whole 'nuther story -- The stiffness of the puck (1" diameter, 1" long cylinder) can be 'adjusted' by getting a different durometer polymer rod. A post of this nature doesn't take all of the bumps out of the ride like a true suspension seatpost would, but it does take out the 'buzziness' if riding on chip/seal - the prevalent form of pavement surface out here in the sticks where I live...

OK, now the 'nuther story':: Of course, I don't know who made the seatpost for Nashbar - but when I bought it, I also got a replacement puck set containing three different stiffnesses. Naturally, those got lost sometime during the past 35 years. Anyway, back when I bought the seatpost, I weighed in somewhere near 145 pounds. Today I weigh fifty pounds more. Between that and the age of the polymer, the original puck kinda disintegrated. That put me on the hunt for a replacement. From a plastics supply company, I was able to source three 1-foot long rods (minimum length to order), each a different stiffness. I cut an inch off each rod to make my new pucks... and now I have enough extra material to last me several lifetimes. I'm using the stiffness that allows my weight to compress the puck around a sixteenth of an inch. The design of this knuckle-type setpost allows the angle of the seat to change as the puck compresses, but I just took that into consideration when I adjusted the seat.

Anyway, I like it. If I could find another seapost like it in the right size for my touring bike (26.8mm), I'd jump on it in a heartbeat!
Old 07-10-21, 11:26 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Is there anything about your bike you are not happy with?