Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Press Fit Bottom Bracket

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Press Fit Bottom Bracket

Old 09-14-21, 06:20 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Is it BB30, then yes. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. I got rid of a Synapse due to the BB30 noise. It drove me nuts.
Nah. Pretty much all specialized road bikes upto 2019 or 2020 used BB30. It works pretty decently if you use a non-BB30 crank + a good BB. For example, I have a Hambini BB + shimano crank on my BB30 and it works incredibly well.

But yes, do not use straight BB30 with a real BB30 crank and direct fit bearings. That's asking for trouble. Eg Sworks crank or Hollowgram. Specialized went BSA and Cannondale now uses BB30A (basically BB30) only for alloy bikes. Carbon bikes now use PF30A which makes it easier for them to mask their horrible manufacturing

Last edited by smashndash; 09-14-21 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-14-21, 06:49 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
My solution for my frames with bb86 press fit bottom brackets is a wheels manufacturing thread together BB with angular contact bearings for shimano 24mm spindle cranks. The two halves of the BB shell are torqued together at 50Nm. No creaks and easy to adjust bearings.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 09-14-21, 10:51 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Yawn. Green Loctite. Next?
Old 09-14-21, 10:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,450 Times in 1,823 Posts
Go to Wheels Mfg. and see if they sell something which might help.
Old 09-21-21, 07:27 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Point
So, why is press fit “optimal”? There has been no correlation shown between any measure of stiffness and efficiency. Numerous threads on this site have been dedicated to that one. Weight maybe, but we’re talking about pretty small amounts when the bike and rider are taken in account as a whole. A 100 gram savings for a 160 lb rider/bike combination is a 0.137% advantage, and then only really on climbs. A BSA bottom bracket is limited to the diameter of the axle as you stated. A 24 mm axle is stiffer torsionally than say an old 17 mm square taper (higher “J” value), but any amount of “wind-up” (very small) in the axle will be returned with essentially no loss of energy during the pedal stroke. As for external bearings, they don’t add anything to stiffness since that is a function of the frame construction, not the location of the bearings in the BB area.
Setting aside stiffness and lightness claims (both of which are real but in my opinion likely not very meaningful in the real world) the main benefit of press fit ironically has to do with reliability. Manufactured correctly, press fit will result in better bearing alignment than threaded. Raoul at Leuscher Teknik and Hambini both have videos explaining this:

Calmer but less complete explanation:

Annoyingly trying to be edgy but has a complete explanation starting at 11:50

To summarize what they say, threads need a bit of "slop" to work properly. Press fit does not need this slop. By removing this slop, it's much more likely for the bearings to be well aligned. Bearing misalignment is by far the most common cause of bottom bracket issues. As a result, if you manufacture a BB correctly it is theoretically more likely to run smoothly and less likely to have problems. It's the "theoretical" part that's the issue because press fit relies on higher manufacturing tolerances than threaded. Note that the manufacturing tolerances required by press fit aren't unachievable by any means, but they are tighter.

I think the main benefit of threaded BBs is that they're easier to work on. I can replace the threaded BB with a $10 tool if you have an issue and simply lubing the threads will quiet most BBs. On the other hand, properly pressing in new bearings if necessary isn't that hard either. Also, it's worth nothing that press fit is the standard world wide for every bearing. Threads are a holdover from an older age of manufacturing. The underlying engineering and tolerance requirements of press fit bearings are mature and well understood. Bikes are more weight sensitive than many other bearing application which introduces some difficulty, but this is a solvable problem.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-21-21 at 07:33 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 09-22-21, 07:46 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Hiro11

I think the main benefit of threaded BBs is that they're easier to work on. I can replace the threaded BB with a $10 tool if you have an issue and simply lubing the threads will quiet most BBs. On the other hand, properly pressing in new bearings if necessary isn't that hard either. Also, it's worth nothing that press fit is the standard world wide for every bearing. Threads are a holdover from an older age of manufacturing. The underlying engineering and tolerance requirements of press fit bearings are mature and well understood. Bikes are more weight sensitive than many other bearing application which introduces some difficulty, but this is a solvable problem.
I think the whole "easy to work on" angle of threaded BBs is a false flag. It normalizes the idea that the BB is supposed to wear out every 2000 miles or so and you're supposed to get a new one and "easily replace it".

A contact sealed bottom bracket with good alignment should last practically indefinitely. People probably recall how long square taper BBs used to last. My bike with a Hambini BB has noncontact seals and steel bearings. I, being an idiot, pressure washed the crap out of them and they rusted through. Despite this, I took them apart, cleaned them and regreased them. it's still clicky but it somehow spins faster than probably 90% of bottom brackets out there. Bearing quality and maintenance mean jack if the alignment is bad. And the alignment is quite frequently bad on carbon frames. It's actually tragic.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 09-22-21, 07:57 PM
Point

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I think the whole "easy to work on" angle of threaded BBs is a false flag. It normalizes the idea that the BB is supposed to wear out every 2000 miles or so and you're supposed to get a new one and "easily replace it".
?? I’ve never had a threaded BB give up the ghost after only 2k miles. One bike has a high quality cup and cone with at least 5x that mileage on it. Another with s Shimano sealed unit also has much more than that. 5k miles at a bare minimum, and normally much more
Old 09-22-21, 07:59 PM
smashndash

?? I’ve never had a threaded BB give up the ghost after only 2k miles. One bike has a high quality cup and cone with at least 5x that mileage on it. Another with s Shimano sealed unit also has much more than that. 5k miles at a bare minimum, and normally much more
Hm. How many of those were carbon road bikes? Just curious.

The things that make pressfit BBs not last long can happen with threaded BBs too. I'm just saying we need to be wary of bike manufacturers using the ease of replacement as a way to create a new normal.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 09-22-21, 08:22 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Hm. How many of those were carbon road bikes? Just curious.

The things that make pressfit BBs not last long can happen with threaded BBs too. I'm just saying we need to be wary of bike manufacturers using the ease of replacement as a way to create a new normal.
None, but that was never a qualifier in your statement. Bottom line is that a quality threaded BB will last far beyond your stated lifespan regardless of the frame material.
Old 09-22-21, 08:28 PM
smashndash

None, but that was never a qualifier in your statement. Bottom line is that a quality threaded BB will last far beyond your stated lifespan regardless of the frame material.
Um. What. That is literally my entire point. That carbon frames suck. And the ease of service of threaded BBs allows them to get away with continuing to make crappy carbon frames. Metal frames are practically no longer part of the mainstream road discussion.

Metal frames are *easy* to manufacture to required tolerances. And there is practically no difference between threaded and pressfit BBs in terms of longevity. And I never claimed otherwise. Please re-read what I posted.
Old 09-22-21, 11:11 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I'd go press fit, myself.
​​​​
On my road bike I have right now a Praxis works thread together PF30-GXP BB which at 8000km is still spinning every bit as smoothly as I remember it doing when new.

TT bike is PF30 and thousands of kilometers later (wife isn't persnickety about tracking bike miles, I've done about a thousand kilometers on it on the turbo) the factory bearings - your standard Ultegra level press fit BB - spins smoothly, no issues whatsoever with it.

Press fit with a solid one piece BB is sort of the ultimate setup on a carbon fiber bike, the alignment of the bearings will be better than both threaded inserts done well (which it doesn't have to be) and most press fit shells, which means the least possible friction and longest possible bearing life. More expensive initially, though.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-23-21 at 12:13 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 09-23-21, 09:26 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I will not buy a bike with press fit BB they are a pain at times and need much more regular service. A threaded BB is a thing of beauty and ease of use in some cases lasting many years and miles.
^^^This.

MY PF BB days are over. Every. Single. One. Nothing but problems.

Only reason bike manufactures started using PF is because it was easier and faster to assemble going down the production line and a slight weight savings. They are now starting to switch back to threaded after they realized it cost them more in warranty work claims than using a threaded BB.
Old 09-24-21, 06:18 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Originally Posted by prj71
^^^This.

MY PF BB days are over. Every. Single. One. Nothing but problems.
Again, not all press fit standards are the same and not all manufacturers are the same. Someone that has a Trek with a BB90 is not going to have the same experience as someone with a Giant with a BB86 (for example). Treks with BB90s generally are problem prone, Giants with BB86s are generally problem free.

Only reason bike manufactures started using PF is because it was easier and faster to assemble going down the production line and a slight weight savings.
Maybe a little oversimplified but likely true.
They are now starting to switch back to threaded after they realized it cost them more in warranty work claims than using a threaded BB.
This is debatable. I think the switch had more to do with customer preference. A threaded BB is a big selling point for lots of people buying high end bikes.
Old 09-24-21, 08:14 AM
prj71

Giants with BB86s are generally problem free.
My last road bike was a Giant. After a year of ownership the BB started creaking. Replaced it with a new one and less than a year later started creaking again.

Same situation with my Cannondale Mountain Bike I had and My Specialized Fat Bike that I had.

Maybe a little oversimplified but likely true.
It's absolutely true. Threading and facing frames is more costly and so is the labor to install the threaded BB which slows down the production line.

This is debatable. I think the switch had more to do with customer preference. A threaded BB is a big selling point for lots of people buying high end bikes.
It is a customer preference!! Customers prefer to have a quiet bike and not one that creaks with every rotation of the crank!!! That and threaded cups can be serviced with simple wrenches and threaded cups allow component makers to have complete control over every moving part of the crankset from pedal to pedal.
Old 09-24-21, 09:47 AM
Branko D

Customer preference, indeed. I opt for pressfit, but I can understand people who just don't care and simply want it not to creak regardless of anything; threaded is unlikely to creak even if it was made crooked, while a crooked pressfit frame will require some sort of fix.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-24-21 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-24-21, 12:00 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I think the switch had more to do with customer preference. A threaded BB is a big selling point for lots of people buying high end bikes.
Don't tell this to the disc brake haters .... they Know that no matter what Big Bike sells what it wants, not what the customers want.
Old 09-24-21, 12:15 PM
Maelochs

Also .... I am hearing all about these threaded BBs which are so badly made they can barely be used .... for ten or twenty years.

I call BS. Press-fit went through several years of drama, because of production tolerances, different expansion rates and wear rates of materials, maybe sloppy install ---whatever reasons----..... manufacturers resorted to telling people to use two types of Locktite to get the cups to stay properly in place ....

Threaded BBs have been around forever and have been in use, some of them, for almost that long.

Do some threaded BBs lose a thousandth of a watt due to friction because they are a millionth of a millimeter off---maybe, but I haven't seen any evidence or heard any complaints.

On the other hand, the whole industry has been forced to back away from Pressfit because of creaking, which is the audible result of power-robbing, frame-wearing alignment issues.

Sorry, threaded BB haters, your mystic voodoo invisible misalignment issue is exactly that. The BBs work really, really well for a really long time. PFs often suck. And if manufacturers cannot make frames and threaded BBs to a sufficient standard, why would anyone think they could make Pressfits, with tighter tolerances, to an acceptable standard?

Given that only a few years after the whole industry started shifting to Pressfit, it is now shifting away, you have to see that there is something wrong in a big way with Pressfit. As others have said, they are simpler and easier to manufacture and install--they Save bike manufacturers Money. If the industry is going from simpler and cheaper and more profitable to something else ... you know there were serious problems with Pressfit. Somewhere the industry was losing out with Pressfit or we wouldn't be seeing the industry looking at so many options.

And yes, there are unquestionably a few Pressfit set-ups where everything worked, either with or without Locktite. However, an industry needs to look at bigger pictures. "We got it right a few times" doesn't offset "This technology is costing us money and customers."

The fact that Nobody Ever said "These threaded BBs are cheap unreliable crap" sort of caps the discussion. Heavier? for sure. More involved to install? Yup. Nearly bullet-proof? And there you have it.

In any case, Wheels manufacturing makes a variety of thread-together---not thread-in---BBs which don't depend on the threads in the frame being perfect--or there being threads at all. I have tossed all my pressfit BBs and only use Wheels thread-togethers. I Never need to worry about BB noise, or any sort of failure. In some years, I will simply replace the pop-out cartridge bearings and use them for the rest of my life.
Old 09-24-21, 12:50 PM
prj71

The Wheels Manufacturing thread together cups is what I had to do to fix the creaking on my Specialized Fat Bike.

Specialized has now switched the majority of it's bikes back to threaded BB. Even my new Trek Domane is threaded BB. That was one of the reasons I bought it over another brand.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/bb90-vs-t47/

And they following suit with the Madone...

https://bikerumor.com/2021/08/23/tre...rs-and-t47-bb/

Last edited by prj71; 09-24-21 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-24-21, 01:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Sorry, threaded BB haters ...
Who are these people? I've never heard or read anyone stating they hate threaded bottom brackets.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-24-21, 08:19 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I think some people are conflating threaded bottom brackets with cartridge bottom brackets.
Old 09-25-21, 08:55 AM
Hiro11

Originally Posted by prj71
My last road bike was a Giant. After a year of ownership the BB started creaking. Replaced it with a new one and less than a year later started creaking again.
To add my anecdote, I'm on my third season with about 15K miles on a Giant TCR with a BB86 and zero issues. In talking to mechanics I ride with, BB86 is generally less problematic than Trek's BB90, Cannondale's BB30a and Specialized's OSBB (which is essentially BB30). In my experience of riding with lots of people, that's also what I've seen anecdotally with Treks being probably the worst.

BTW, I know many, many people who own a Specialized Fatboy and every single one of them has had issues with the BB. This is probably because fat bikes are generally ridden in awful conditions, but I also think Specialized really cheaped out on making the shells for those bikes.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 09-25-21, 09:17 AM
Branko D

Specialized and Trek are moving to threaded, but they are the two brands which had big issues with tolerances on their press fit standards. Which is ironic because they're certainly premium priced, but whatever. Canyon, Giant, and a number of others are sticking with PF. Eh, preferences 🤷

The next build I do next year will be probably a Canyon Ultimate CFR (wife wants a light bike, must have discs and electronic shifting) which is a press fit, and then​​ a BBInfinite one piece BB unit, perfect alignment, quality bearings and just knock out the bearings and press new ones in when they wear out, couldn't be simpler.
​​​​​
​​​
Old 09-25-21, 09:20 AM
Hiro11

Originally Posted by Branko D
The next build I do next year will be probably a Canyon Ultimate CFR (wife wants a light bike, must have discs and electronic shifting) which is a press fit, and then​​ a BBInfinite one piece BB unit, perfect alignment, quality bearings and just knock out the bearings and press new ones in when they wear out, couldn't be simpler.
​​
The bike I'm building up this winter (assuming I can get a group) has a T47. That seems to be the emerging "standard".
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 09-25-21, 09:33 AM
prj71

To add my anecdote, I'm on my third season with about 15K miles on a Giant TCR with a BB86 and zero issues. In talking to mechanics I ride with, BB86 is generally less problematic than Trek's BB90, Cannondale's BB30a and Specialized's OSBB (which is essentially BB30). In my experience of riding with lots of people, that's also what I've seen anecdotally with Treks being probably the worst.

BTW, I know many, many people who own a Specialized Fatboy and every single one of them has had issues with the BB. This is probably because fat bikes are generally ridden in awful conditions, but I also think Specialized really cheaped out on making the shells for those bikes.
Funny you say that. My last Mountain bike was a Cannondale. The BB30 on that was horrible. Had to replace/fix every few hundred miles. And I had an aluminum Specialized Fat Boy also with the same problem.

I now have a 2018 carbon Fat Boy that does have a PF BB and within 3 months it started to creak. Brought it back to bike shop and they fixed it and it has been fine ever since. But I'm confident it will start creaking again.

My Niner Hardtail I had to buy the Wheels Manufacturing thread together cups to get rid of the creaking.

My full suspension carbon mountain bike with threaded BB...zero problems. Quiet as can be.
Old 09-25-21, 03:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Specialized and Trek are moving to threaded, but they are the two brands which had big issues with tolerances on their press fit standards. Which is ironic because they're certainly premium priced, but whatever. Canyon, Giant, and a number of others are sticking with PF. Eh, preferences 🤷

​​​​​
​​​
Canyon are edging their bets a little with most of their mountain bikes on threaded BBs. But their lightest XC bike is PF as of course are all their road bikes.

Only PF BB I've had any issue with was on my 2015 Specialized Enduro, which got a bit creaky after a while. The shop sorted it though.

My Giant Defy BB is holding up well after 15k miles. Can't fault it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.