Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mirrors

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mirrors

Old 05-30-19, 11:42 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Big fan of helmet mirrors but not of the attachments so I make my own. A simple fiberglass piece, formed with a shape that the mirror clamps securely to. At its top, it is formed to fit the inside of my helmet visor. Drill two small holes and use nice SS screws. Outlasts several helmets. Near perfect, both for view and no-hassle. I take the visor off to clean the helmet anyways, so that is also easy. I make the mounts to fit the clamp on Third Eye Round Helmet Mirror.

Ben
Old 06-03-19, 04:06 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I ride in constant traffic. Either passing or getting passed constantly. A mirror would simply be a distraction but maybe you're conditions are different.
If I have parked cars on both sides of the street and two way traffic in addition, I don't have anytime for a rearward mirror.
That is the situation where they're most useful.

You know *exactly* where cars are, where the gaps are so you can set up better transitions, who's setting up to pass and turn in front of you (goodbye hooks), who's about to mess with you for sport, who doesn't see you at all, and who has stuff sticking out the sides (trailers, construction stuff, etc) and isn't thinking about that when considering their width, and who's giving you extra space so you can fit somewhere you need to be.

Ignore all that stuff, and you're relying on luck for your safety.
Likes For banerjek:
Old 06-04-19, 03:21 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
That is the situation where they're most useful.

You know *exactly* where cars are, where the gaps are so you can set up better transitions, who's setting up to pass and turn in front of you (goodbye hooks), who's about to mess with you for sport, who doesn't see you at all, and who has stuff sticking out the sides (trailers, construction stuff, etc) and isn't thinking about that when considering their width, and who's giving you extra space so you can fit somewhere you need to be.

Ignore all that stuff, and you're relying on luck for your safety.
Dude, sorry, but where I ride the cars are packed and mirrors are useless.

This is an example.

Maybe it's different for you but a mirror is nothing but an unwanted distraction for me.

This is old video and traffic is much worse now.
Likes For acidfast7:
Old 07-07-20, 04:51 PM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I also evangelized to @johnlink to get a mirror. He tried a Take-a-Look mirror on his glasses and didn't like it. He now has a handlebar end mirror on EACH end of his handlebars. He is about to embark on a 4,000-mile trip around the USA, so I'm eager to hear how they work out for him.

On Wednesday, in NYC traffic, I saw in my mirror a patrol car behind me with its flashing lights. I quickly pulled over, and the car went on. So that's good.
Here's what I wrote about my mirrors in my review of my gear (https://johnlinkbikingadventures.blo...my-gear.html):

The two CAT EYE - BM-45 Bar End Bike Mirrors I installed in my handlebar ends added greatly to my comfort and safety. Although they are rather small, their convex shape allowed me to see a large area behind me. With their ball-and-socket joints I was able to adjust them so I could see what I need to see whether I was on the hoods or in the drops. I used the left mirror the most, but the right mirror was needed when the road curved to the right.
Old 07-08-20, 06:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I also evangelized to @johnlink to get a mirror. He tried a Take-a-Look mirror on his glasses and didn't like it.

He now has a handlebar end mirror on EACH end of his handlebars. He is about to embark on a 4,000-mile trip around the USA, so I'm eager to hear how they work out for him....

Originally Posted by johnlink
Here's what I wrote about my mirrors in my review of my gear (https://johnlinkbikingadventures.blo...my-gear.html):

The two CAT EYE - BM-45 Bar End Bike Mirrors I installed in my handlebar ends added greatly to my comfort and safety. Although they are rather small, their convex shape allowed me to see a large area behind me. With their ball-and-socket joints I was able to adjust them so I could see what I need to see whether I was on the hoods or in the drops.

I used the left mirror the most, but the right mirror was needed when the road curved to the right.
Originally Posted by mountaindave
However, it is surprising sometimes just how quickly someone can come up behind me in a car seemingly out of nowhere. I’ve fortunately never been hit, but definitely been made to feel like an easily squashable bug by impatient or inconsiderate motorists.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks again for that reply. I'm a mirror advocate, virtually an evangelist, and I wear two eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look mirrors, left and right (link)...
I have posted about the advantages:
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror.

The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful [including]:

1. Riding on the left-hand side of a one-way street

2. Riding in the middle or left lanes of a two-way thoroughfare

3. In a rotary

4. On a curved road to the right

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-08-20 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-08-20, 07:55 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have posted about the advantages:
I agree about the use of the second mirror. It often provides a view not afforded by the first mirror.
Old 07-08-20, 08:11 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
As a recumbent rider mirrors are a must for me because I just cannot turn my upper body like on an upright bike. Plus we don't have traffic jams and dedicated bike lanes where I live. Cars are speeding and drivers often don't pay much attention. So I want to see approaching cars from behind.
Old 07-08-20, 08:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
As a recumbent rider mirrors are a must for me because I just cannot turn my upper body like on an upright bike. Plus we don't have traffic jams and dedicated bike lanes where I live.

Cars are speeding and drivers often don't pay much attention. So I want to see approaching cars from behind.
I have also previously posted:
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones....

My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”...

Addendum: This past weekend I rode with a companion on a low-riding recumbent three-wheel trike. I just deflected my right-hand mirror slightly downwards so I didn’t have to crane my neck upwards to see him.

The left-hand mirror was still in place to monitor rearward traffic.
Old 07-08-20, 10:35 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I've said it before, but helmet (or glasses) mounted mirrors are perfect for me. People who complain generally don't have them positioned properly, but they are a life saver for commuting. That cat eye bar mounted mirrors just don't cut it for me. Mine is laying in my garage unused.
Likes For chas58:
Old 07-08-20, 07:32 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 480 Posts
Mirrors are great in any number, but they still can’t counteract an a$$hole who just can’t lose even one second on the way to his destination. It happened to me this morning: I saw the car, had the space, took the lane, signaled, and he still decided to speed up and pass me with a solid double yellow line as I was turning left. WTF!?