Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

campagnolo 8 speed freehub spline question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 08:05 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

I got this campagnolo wheel with an 8 speed freehub on it and I thought I could put a 10 speed veloce cassette on it but the spline is different, I ordered a freehub body that says its 9/10/11/12 compatible but I'm not sure if it'll fit my 8 speed wheel? Anybody got a tip? Mark
Old 03-24-21, 11:51 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
I got this campagnolo wheel with an 8 speed freehub on it and I thought I could put a 10 speed veloce cassette on it but the spline is different
Yes. Campagnolo switched to deeper splines and a wider freehub body with the move to 9 cogs.

I ordered a freehub body that says its 9/10/11/12 compatible but I'm not sure if it'll fit my 8 speed wheel?
It won't.

Anybody got a tip? Mark
You need a freehub body for a rear hub using cup and cone bearings on a 10mm axle which were only made for a few years.

More expensive hubs (Centaur/Daytona/Chorus/Record) switched to cup-and-cone bearings oversized aluminum axles, less expensive cartridges on 12mm steel. Neither freehub version will work for you.

I refitted my hubs with NOS 1997-1998 Record Titanium freehub bodies in 2001 when I found Campagnolo had discontinued my favorite 8 speed cassette, the 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-24-21 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-24-21, 12:29 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Drew is 100% correct.

I too upgraded a 8-speed Record hubset to fit modern cassettes, but this was last year. I found the very rare replacement freehub body at a local shop; it had been orphaned in a drawer for 20 years. This freehub has allowed me to update to a 10-speed cassette.

I thought I was a God because the upgrade went easily. However, no cassette lockring in my extensive stash would fit. The old 8-speed 29mm lockrings and the current 27mm units were too big. So it took months to track down the rare 26mm lockring made for a couple of years, circa 1998.
Old 03-24-21, 04:33 PM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Well thanks you guys, I guess from the sound of it the best thing would be to try to find an 8 speed cassette and just use it on my bike with friction shifters, not the end of the world! Thanks again you guys are the best. Mark
Old 03-24-21, 06:26 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
8 speed cassettes are available on Ebay. Miche has also made Campy-compatible 8-speed cassettes. Then there are 8-speed Ergopower shifters, which are also available on Ebay, but they may need rebuilding.

I have a couple of bikes with 8-speed Ergopower shifters, and they are as ergonomic, precise and smooth as my newer 10 and 11-speed mechanical units. Campagnolo got Ergopower right almost from the start.
Old 03-25-21, 09:26 AM
eddy m

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
Camoy 10s derailers work well with Shimano 10s freehubs. It miht be cheaper to get a shimano wheel than to source Campy parts.em
Old 03-25-21, 10:18 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Kinda sideways, but that freehub you ordered will fit newer hubs with the oversize axle and you can use 9-speed individual cog Veloce cassettes, spaced for 8-speed with a Wheels MFG or Campy shift kit.8-speed. I do that with my original 8-speed wheelset for my tubulars and a modern wheelset using the 9-speed cogs spaced for 8-speed for my clincher wheeset.
Old 03-25-21, 06:17 PM
Mark Dominck

Well, I requested my order for the freehub to be cancelled since it would not work on the 8 speed, now I'm stuck with a nice 10 speed cassette that I can't return, I have a couple bikes with 10 speeds so maybe some day I'll have a need for it. I'll stash it away along with all my other parts that I have no need for. Do you guys have the same addiction of collecting bike parts? We should all get together and have a giant swap meet. I use to ride an old Harley and loved going to the annual swap meet and rummage through every one elses parts collections. I put my freehub back on the wheel but I didn't have that cool tool in your picture so I wrapped a wire bread bag tie around the palls and slipped it in then unwrapped the tie and pulled it out. My wheel is an extra set so I have not made a decision on which way to go just yet, you guys have some great solutions I'm still trying to picture it all in my mind before I go buying more parts that I can't use haha. Mark
Old 03-26-21, 08:27 AM
Mark Dominck

Well I found a campy 8 speed cassette and ordered it so I guess I made up my mind even though that limits me to using friction down tubes unless I change over to the ergos which I'm not ready to do on that bike. It's a nice old Vitus 979 all set up with campy and I can now put these campy wheels on it. The only thing is these hubs are a little newer than the rest of the components so we'll see what effect that has on my view of the bike, might end up ripping them off and putting the old Mavics back on.
Old 03-28-21, 02:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
8 speed cassettes are available on Ebay. Miche has also made Campy-compatible 8-speed cassettes. Then there are 8-speed Ergopower shifters, which are also available on Ebay, but they may need rebuilding.

I have a couple of bikes with 8-speed Ergopower shifters, and they are as ergonomic, precise and smooth as my newer 10 and 11-speed mechanical units. Campagnolo got Ergopower right almost from the start.
Ditto to what he said. The real Campy cassettes can be very expensive, but Miche not too bad. Plus you can mix and match the sprockets from Miche cassettes if you can't find one that suits your gearing needs. I "built" a 11-28 using two. Can't remember the details though, but it made sense at the time. I'm too lazy to go out and look at what's on the bike and in the spare parts box.

You might see if you can find some 8 speed Syncro downtube shifters too. I have an 8 speed campy set up on a vintage Italian frame (Sannino) and use 8 speed Sycro (2, some call this particular version 3.... the kind with the little micro adjuster on the right lever). In spite of popular opinion and urban legend, they work perfectly, I like them. They work crisply even with the mixed sprockets which would theoretically mess up quick shifting.

I've often toyed with the idea of getting a set of 8 speed Ergopower shifters when I see a nice set for reasonable price, but haven't taken that step. It's kind of fun and different to have a downtube shifter bike to ride to remember the old days. You might even find good Ergopower shifters can be found cheaper than good 8 speed Syncro. I was very lucky and found a very new-looking set for inexpensive about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, due to a mishap, they're less than perfect now, but only from closer than 10 feet Surely I'm not the only one who adheres to the 10 foot rule? If defects in paint, etc aren't noticeable from 10 feet, they're trivial.
Old 03-28-21, 10:40 PM
Mark Dominck

I have several bikes with Campy nuovo deraileurs and down tube shifters with six speed cassettes and I'll try this 8 speed and see if it will work the way it is without changing to ergos or changing deraileurs. I don't mind down tube friction shifters I ride mostly gentle rolling terrain so I don't have to shift all that much. I made the mistake of purchasing these rims thinking I could just slide on a 10 speed cassette,the previous owner said I could but now I'm having troubles. We'll see how it all works out in the end, it all started because I acquired two new tubular tires and wanted to try them out. Thanks you guys for all your very helpful advise. Mark
Old 04-05-21, 07:54 AM
Mark Dominck

Well I ended up finding a good 8 speed cassette Campy, and installed it on my 979 Vitus which has a Campy Nuovo deraileur and put on my new Vittoria tubulars and I rides like a dream. Maybe it's just because they're new to me but I like the way the tubulars feel much sleeker and trim than my other tires. I now have two bikes with tubulars and I find myself grabbing one of those to ride. They both have down tube frictions which I've always had and they work just fine, not as fast shifting but I'm not Goin anywhere fast.