Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

UAE On Rim Brakes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

UAE On Rim Brakes

Old 07-20-21, 08:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 4,719 Times in 2,914 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
Agree. I wish there was more competition in the component arena: right now, there is the holy trinity of Shimano, Campy, and SRAM.
Well there's FSA, but no idea how good their groupset is and it never appears on OEM bike builds
Old 07-20-21, 08:51 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3343 Post(s)
Liked 3,444 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That must have been a very long time ago. I've been cycling for 40 something years and it's always been Shimano vs Campag in that time (except for Suntour on cheaper setups). SRAM wasn't even on the scene in road bikes back then and only had their grip-shift. What others did I miss?
Some of the other older manufacturers, off the top of my head:

Dia-Compe, still operating today

Simplex, one the first derailleurs

Zeus, Campy-ish components

Huret, derailleurs

Old 07-20-21, 08:55 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Some of the other older manufacturers, off the top of my head:

Dia-Compe, still operating today

Simplex, one the first derailleurs

Zeus, Campy-ish components

Huret, derailleurs
All those names ring a bell, but I don't remember them being around much compared to Shimano, Campag and Suntour. I guess I'm not quite old enough! I started cycling in the 70s, but It would have been the mid-80s before I started taking notice of component brands. My first road bike had Suntour mechs and my first proper build had the very first Shimano 105 group. I’ve got a vague feeling that my first derailleur bike as a kid in the 70s had Huret gears.

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-20-21 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-21-21, 08:07 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
The UCI weight max of 6.8kg on bikes means that there is no weight penalty at the pro level. You can easily get disc bikes below that limit...
Hilarious, pretty sure it's the opposite, bikes can't be lighter than 6.8kg.

Originally Posted by knobd
I thought I remember seeing that even the carbon layup was specific to each rider. Don't ask me to back that up but I thought that was the case. In any event I really don't think its even remotely a challenge for these bikes being used in The Tour to made with discs at the minimum weight limit, regardless of manufacturer.
Nonsense, nothing special about their bikes. You can buy their bikes after the season is over if you want one, but only difference is that it will be cheaper than buying new and it has the Pro's name on it.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps go on your usual Sunday group ride which will have a majority of disc brake riders and start picking arguments with them.
Around here there are far more rim brake than disc still since most of the cyclists here don't upgrade bikes as frequently as some do on this forum.

Last edited by zymphad; 07-21-21 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-21-21, 08:09 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Deleted…not getting drawn back in…

Last edited by Pizzaiolo Americano; 07-21-21 at 08:13 AM.
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 07-21-21, 12:59 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by zymphad
Around here there are far more rim brake than disc still since most of the cyclists here don't upgrade bikes as frequently as some do on this forum.
Maybe that should be the way to choose a riding group to avoid fights. No disc brakes or bikes under 5 years old allowed!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-21-21, 01:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4843 Post(s)
Liked 7,833 Times in 3,713 Posts
That must have been a very long time ago. I've been cycling for 40 something years and it's always been Shimano vs Campag in that time (except for Suntour on cheaper setups). SRAM wasn't even on the scene in road bikes back then and only had their grip-shift. What others did I miss?
SunTour Superbe from the late-70s and early-80s was definitely high-end stuff, and considered by many to be better than Shimano and Campagnolo, especially for shifting performance.
Old 07-21-21, 03:01 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
SunTour Superbe from the late-70s and early-80s was definitely high-end stuff, and considered by many to be better than Shimano and Campagnolo, especially for shifting performance.
Most anything back in the day shifted better than Campy. Suntour was the best. Even their low end stuff shifted good. Then Shimano developed/patented the Celeron? pulley. Suntour couldn't copy it/make something similar and the rest became history. High end Simplex stuff was really good also. If they hadn't made the Delrin mistake, we might be talking about them instead of Campagnolo.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-21-21, 03:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Maybe that should be the way to choose a riding group to avoid fights. No disc brakes or bikes under 5 years old allowed!
I.e., no one under retirement age.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-23-21, 07:00 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Eric F
Maybe, but they must have made cheap parts too because the bike I had Suntour on was pretty low end. This would have been early-mid 80s vintage. So then it was mainly Suntour, Shimano and Campag. Now Shimano, SRAM and Campag. Doesn't seem all that different to me in terms of overall competition. Maybe Shimano's dominance wasn't so obvious back then, but SRAM appear to have a pretty large market share these days. While Campag seem to remain the slightly more niche up-market alternative they always were.

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-23-21 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-24-21, 05:22 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Huh, so weird, two years in a row, winning Tour de France on rim brakes. Weird, I thought disc brakes were so superior on the hills, but for some reason the best hill climber and descent twice in a row is riding on rim brake. How is he not dead? I mean rim brakes are so inferior, I'm amazed he's still alive never mind winning.

Also surprised Specialized and Trek haven't told Colnago how stupid they are for even offering a rim brake version. How dare they offer options to their customers, morons, so stupid.
Likes For zymphad:
Old 07-24-21, 06:02 AM
PeteHski

Huh, so weird, two years in a row, winning Tour de France on rim brakes. Weird, I thought disc brakes were so superior on the hills, but for some reason the best hill climber and descent twice in a row is riding on rim brake. How is he not dead? I mean rim brakes are so inferior, I'm amazed he's still alive never mind winning.

Also surprised Specialized and Trek haven't told Colnago how stupid they are for even offering a rim brake version. How dare they offer options to their customers, morons, so stupid.
Don’t you just love dumbed down sarcasm. Hilariously funny.

He also used disc brakes for 17 of the 21 TDF stages and Campag admitted that rim brakes were only used for weight saving on the 2 mountain top finish stages.

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-24-21 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-25-21, 08:11 AM
kar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Huh, so weird, two years in a row, winning Tour de France on rim brakes. Weird,
Olympics gold and bronze on rim brakes.

And then I read the following on German tour-magazin forums:

Pinarello Dogma F Whitepaper.

"There remains a signifigant number of Rim brake consumers and they continuely ask us to develop high end frames specific for these systems. The rim brake riding experience still offers the “Pinarello riding feeling” and both brake versions for our highest end model is a must."

Das Englisch ist Made in Italy.

https://pinarello.com/assets/documen...er_Dogma-F.pdf

I have both Disc and Rim brake bikes and I like both variants for the use-cases I bought them for. Also I am quite skinny...
Likes For kar:
Old 07-25-21, 02:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by kar
Olympics gold and bronze on rim brakes.

And then I read the following on German tour-magazin forums:

Pinarello Dogma F Whitepaper.

"There remains a signifigant number of Rim brake consumers and they continuely ask us to develop high end frames specific for these systems. The rim brake riding experience still offers the “Pinarello riding feeling” and both brake versions for our highest end model is a must."

Das Englisch ist Made in Italy.

https://pinarello.com/assets/documen...er_Dogma-F.pdf

I have both Disc and Rim brake bikes and I like both variants for the use-cases I bought them for. Also I am quite skinny...
The white paper also says the disc-brake Dogma F is more aerodynamic than the rim-brake Dogma F, and the disc-brake frame weighs only 5 g more than the rim-brake frame.