Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drafting etiquette

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Drafting etiquette

Old 09-13-21, 01:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4841 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Zwift needs a delta variant cooties feature to discourage anonymous wheel sucking.
Some of my favorite rides are when a small group develops organically, and we end up pushing each other. Maybe I'm just more social than most people.
Old 09-13-21, 01:38 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I think it was poor etiquette from you to follow him close enough to draft without saying "Hi" first and asking permission. And it was poor etiquette from him to slam on the brakes, intentionally causing a crash.

He should have said, "Do you mind? I'd appreciate you keeping some distance," just as you should have initially said, "I'd like to hop on your tail, is that okay?"

I'm kind of surprised that not everyone knows this instinctively. To me it seems obvious.

I've followed a stranger before, to see if I could match his pace. But I stay back several bike lengths. I don't ask permission for this. (I'd never do this to a female riding alone, as that could understandably make her uncomfortable or afraid.)

I recall plenty of instances when I came upon another group of riders (usually while riding with a group myself) and asked if they'd like to work together. They say yes 100% of the time. I don't remember ever getting a negative response, or ever encountering a lone rider I wanted to draft.
Old 09-13-21, 01:47 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Some of my favorite rides are when a small group develops organically, and we end up pushing each other. Maybe I'm just more social than most people.
I actually find that a rewarding feature of Zwift too. The game seems to be designed to facilitate it.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-13-21, 02:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Some people consider you drafting if you are anywhere in sight behind them. So watch out for them, they can do stupid things.

When ever I come up on someone, I let them know I'm there. I seldom want to stay there but if it's a blind curve ahead or traffic coming the other way I'll also tell them I'm waiting till it's clear to pass. However sometimes I don't get a chance, they slow down so much that I either have to stop or pass them in a bad place to pass.

So likewise when you are that person in front. Don't try to help that person behind you. Just ride as you would if they weren't there. They may have other reasons for not passing right away besides drafting the slow poke they are behind. Ask if you need to know, but just braking is seldom the right thing to do.
Old 09-13-21, 02:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ask if it's okay and respect their wishes if they say "no."
^This^
Originally Posted by bshell
When you are riding and some stranger passes you, is it ok to catch up and draft behind them? Is this considered bad manners? Or is there some proper way to do this that is polite? I do this from time to time without problem but the other day I did it and the guy in front slammed on his brakes so of course I slammed into him and both of us were very annoyed with the other. He did it on purpose because he thought I was a creep for drafting behind him. I had no idea this was not allowed. So what is the right way to draft behind a stranger when out and about?
Definitely not ok. Always ask permission and be ready for whatever answer you get. Think about it...did you 2 start your ride together? No. To just jump on someone's wheel unannounced is one of the most irresponsible things you can do on the road. If the rider in front thinks they're alone they could spit, blow a snot rocket, slow down...why would you put yourself in that position? They're doing their ride, you're doing yours, why turn it into any kind of race?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-13-21, 02:27 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Echoing a lot of what's been said above, drafting strangers is just poor manners, same as jumping the queue at lights/stops. Don't do either without asking.
Likes For bahula03:
Old 09-13-21, 02:54 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4270 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Some people consider you drafting if you are anywhere in sight behind them. So watch out for them, they can do stupid things..
that's their problem. And if I'm far enough back, their stupid things don't scare me.

That said, I've never had that happen.

10 bike lengths is plenty, but even 5 bike lengths is, IMHO, fair.
Old 09-13-21, 03:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10248 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I think it was poor etiquette from you to follow him close enough to draft without saying "Hi" first and asking permission. And it was poor etiquette from him to slam on the brakes, intentionally causing a crash.

He should have said, "Do you mind? I'd appreciate you keeping some distance," just as you should have initially said, "I'd like to hop on your tail, is that okay?"

I'm kind of surprised that not everyone knows this instinctively. To me it seems obvious.

I've followed a stranger before, to see if I could match his pace. But I stay back several bike lengths. I don't ask permission for this. (I'd never do this to a female riding alone, as that could understandably make her uncomfortable or afraid.)

I recall plenty of instances when I came upon another group of riders (usually while riding with a group myself) and asked if they'd like to work together. They say yes 100% of the time. I don't remember ever getting a negative response, or ever encountering a lone rider I wanted to draft.
This often puts me in a quandary - I know that women, especially the fitter ones, often find male cyclists will catch them and pass them, then blow up down the road. I don't want to be That Guy. OTOH, there's the phenomenon you describe, where a stranger hangs out behind them making them uncomfortable. I don't want to be That Guy, either.

What's happened to me a number of times is that because I'm heavy, on downhill sections I'll roll up on women who look like they'll kick my ass on the next uphill, so I don't pass because I don't want to be the first That Guy, but now I'm behind them, sometimes freewheeling, trying to stay back far enough that I don't become the OTHER That Guy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-13-21, 03:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
This often puts me in a quandary - I know that women, especially the fitter ones, often find male cyclists will catch them and pass them, then blow up down the road. I don't want to be That Guy. OTOH, there's the phenomenon you describe, where a stranger hangs out behind them making them uncomfortable. I don't want to be That Guy, either.

What's happened to me a number of times is that because I'm heavy, on downhill sections I'll roll up on women who look like they'll kick my ass on the next uphill, so I don't pass because I don't want to be the first That Guy, but now I'm behind them, sometimes freewheeling, trying to stay back far enough that I don't become the OTHER That Guy.
Creep.

Old 09-13-21, 05:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
I generally announce myself politely once I am about within two bike lengths behind someone who is riding at about the same pace. If he or she rides off I do not give chase, but if he or she does not I try to pass when it seems safe to do so.
Old 09-13-21, 05:59 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Surprised this has not come up, if someone rammed into the back of me because the moron was drafting without announcing it. Crashing would be the least of his concerns! Violence would probably ensue.
Old 09-13-21, 06:12 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Well I’m a bit of a jerk. The last guy that caught up to me and tucked in like a tick on a dog, I started laughing and had to pull off. Got a dirty look from the gentleman on an shiny red E-bike not pedaling.
Old 09-13-21, 06:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
That guy is an @$$hole. I've jumped on wheels, and I've had people jump on mine. No big deal to me. Someone sitting on my wheel doesn't generally change the way I ride, but I will give a hand signal before I make a turn out of courtesy and for the safety of both of us. That said, there have been times when I've ramped up the heat to see if I can break them....but I do it safely.
​​​​​​And a moron. Never break check anyone, especially when you don't know how close they're paying attention.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-13-21, 06:26 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4270 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Well I’m a bit of a jerk. The last guy that caught up to me and tucked in like a tick on a dog, I started laughing and had to pull off. Got a dirty look from the gentleman on an shiny red E-bike not pedaling.
thought you were going to say that you dialed it up to 400 watts
Old 09-13-21, 06:50 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
Echoing a lot of what's been said above, drafting strangers is just poor manners, same as jumping the queue at lights/stops. Don't do either without asking.
Really? Most cyclists blow right by if they correctly time a traffic light at which I have been waiting; a polite minority at least give a shout when they are about to pass so I don't veer into them as I start off again.
Old 09-13-21, 06:55 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10072 Post(s)
Liked 5,053 Times in 2,157 Posts
Lately this has been happening more and more to me. Most of them don’t ask, which really pisses me off. So naturally I dial it up and I havnt had one stick with me.

I recently had a guy demand that I pull him. There was a group enfront of me all spread out, all over the place. Seemed like they didn’t know what they were doing. After I carefully passed them all, the lead guy told me to pull.

I was completely taken back.

I had one person cuss at me. He asked if he could ride my wheel, I said no. He got on it anyways, I started dialing it up and after about a half a mile he fell off. Called me an F in prick.

Not one person who has managed to stay on my wheel, or asked politely and I agreed to it, has ever offered to help pull. So, no don’t ride my wheel.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 09-13-21, 07:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I always ask and then still stay a few bike lengths behind.

Except if its and e-bike, since my intention is to piss them off when they can't drop me.
Old 09-13-21, 07:44 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I don’t really even want to draft people I know, much less strangers. Not just a pandemic thing, I prefer to push through the wind myself.

I would think it somewhat impolite for a stranger I passed to lurk behind me without asking. I don’t mind pulling friends but if I’m out alone I want my own riding space.

That said, I can’t recall it happening. When I pass people, they usually don’t end up around me again, and when people pass me, I don’t try to pull up behind them. On occasion I will try to up my pace if I was slow and lost in thought and stay level, usually about a quarter mile back.

Otto
Old 09-13-21, 08:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
It is fine to draft as long as you are waving.

Also, it is Not fine if your socks are longer than the rider you are drafting.

Naturally all this depends upon which chain lube each of you uses.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-13-21, 10:30 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
wait... 10 bike lengths!?! i'm not sure i've ever been that far behind someone riding in the same direction on the same road/path unless they were going much faster than me. is this because that's a reasonable proxy for the distance at which you gain no advantage?

if everyone rode 10 bike lengths apart, there would have to be metering lights at various places to space everyone out. that seems really excessive in an urban environment. what a drag!

is there some sort of secret hand signal for the front rider to use to indicate that he wants you to either back up or pass him, or is their only recourse to speed up?
Old 09-13-21, 10:51 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Really? Most cyclists blow right by if they correctly time a traffic light at which I have been waiting; a polite minority at least give a shout when they are about to pass so I don't veer into them as I start off again.
This is not a dig at you, but there's always a nit to pick on the internet, eh? What you're talking about is a pretty specific situation with the timing of lights, and while it may be ballpark safe, I'd still throw it under the umbrella of poor manners. That said, I was talking about cyclists that arrive at a stop where other cyclists are already stopped and waiting...and then stop to wait in front of the folks who were already there.
Old 09-14-21, 08:41 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I always ask and then still stay a few bike lengths behind.

Except if its and e-bike, since my intention is to piss them off when they can't drop me.

So you ask if you can draft, and then don't draft? That sounds a bit annoying in itself.
Old 09-14-21, 09:01 AM
James1964 

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 95 Posts
Note that the chart showing the savings from drafting assumes a speed of 45km/hr, significantly faster than most people are riding.

It must be a sign of the times. BITD no one ever asked for permission to draft: typically, riders preferred the company of another cyclist(s). Riders would also talk with each other, sometimes even share when and where they normally ride so as to meet up again. Pulling on ones brakes to crash the guy behind you is very poor form.
Old 09-14-21, 09:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
So you ask if you can draft, and then don't draft? That sounds a bit annoying in itself.
Actually i ask if they mind if i hang on their wheel. With the condition of local roads I don't trust people I don't know not to lead me into a pothole.

There's still some aero benefit being 10'-15' back and that buys me a second or two to react to the road conditions.
Old 09-14-21, 09:15 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​And a moron. Never break brake check anyone, especially when you don't know how close they're paying attention.
Didn't we just have an entire thread about this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.