Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drafting etiquette

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Drafting etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-21, 09:15 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
is there some sort of secret hand signal for the front rider to use to indicate that he wants you to either back up or pass him, or is their only recourse to speed up?
To back off wave down which is usually indicates you are slowing down. To pass, wave them forward.
Old 09-14-21, 09:32 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by James1964
Note that the chart showing the savings from drafting assumes a speed of 45km/hr, significantly faster than most people are riding.

It must be a sign of the times. BITD no one ever asked for permission to draft: typically, riders preferred the company of another cyclist(s). Riders would also talk with each other, sometimes even share when and where they normally ride so as to meet up again. Pulling on ones brakes to crash the guy behind you is very poor form.
my short experience is more akin to this. i’d never ride up within a bike length or something of someone except at a stop, but usually i just hang back there three bikes or so, maybe pass if they slow down a bit, maybe we catch up at a light or a side by side stretch and chit chat. people in the real world seem WAY less prickly than the vocal minority on BF.
Old 09-14-21, 10:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
This often puts me in a quandary - I know that women, especially the fitter ones, often find male cyclists will catch them and pass them, then blow up down the road. I don't want to be That Guy. OTOH, there's the phenomenon you describe, where a stranger hangs out behind them making them uncomfortable. I don't want to be That Guy, either.

What's happened to me a number of times is that because I'm heavy, on downhill sections I'll roll up on women who look like they'll kick my ass on the next uphill, so I don't pass because I don't want to be the first That Guy, but now I'm behind them, sometimes freewheeling, trying to stay back far enough that I don't become the OTHER That Guy.
The rest of us, who aren't afraid to talk to women, would just explain the situation as thought they were just ... . y'know, people or something.

totally joking but not kidding.
Old 09-14-21, 11:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The rest of us, who aren't afraid to talk to women, would just explain the situation as thought they were just ... . y'know, people or something.

totally joking but not kidding.
Sure: "Hi! I'm not a creep, scoping out your ass. I just figure you'll kick mine on the next hill, so I'll just stay behind you freewheeling for another minute or two, okay?"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-14-21, 11:01 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Didn't we just have an entire thread about this?
Them's the brakes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-14-21, 01:52 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9651 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Sure: "Hi! I'm not a creep, scoping out your ass. I just figure you'll kick mine on the next hill, so I'll just stay behind you freewheeling for another minute or two, okay?"
Or perhaps, "Hi! I'm a creep, scoping out your ass. Would you mind indulging me, and then you can drop me since I can't keep up anyway?"
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-14-21, 02:53 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I don't care one freak'n bit if someone announces or not because I have a mirror and have watched them approach from WAY BACK. ANOTHER THANG is I do not speed up or expect them to pull because being out by myself and I ride MY RIDE.

p.s. - I agree with asking if it is OK.
Old 09-14-21, 05:32 PM
fried bake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Simplest solution: Draft minimum three bike lengths back. Yes, it’s not as helpful a draft, but it’s not close enough to trigger awkward discussions or safety concerns for either rider.
Old 09-14-21, 05:38 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by fried bake
Simplest solution: Draft minimum three bike lengths back. Yes, it’s not as helpful a draft, but it’s not close enough to trigger awkward discussions or safety concerns for either rider.
No, the most simple solution is to announce yourself and talk to the other rider. Jesus, is it that hard to just f'ing communicate?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-14-21, 05:50 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9651 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
No, the most simple solution is to announce yourself and talk to the other rider. Jesus, is it that hard to just f'ing communicate?
Pretty dangerous to text and ride.
Old 09-14-21, 05:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

If you soft pedal then your freewheel doesn't make any sound.

Yes.. i'm that creepy guy.

Is it any worse than watching those stupid Tic Toc videos where half the guys don't have any pants on. (Yes, i'm talking to you)
Old 09-14-21, 05:58 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I prefer bump drafting for maximum gains.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 09-14-21, 06:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
I prefer bump drafting for maximum gains.
NASCAR style?
Old 09-14-21, 06:06 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
NASCAR style?
spec miata style
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 09-14-21, 06:10 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
spec miata style
But the assumption is there is a set skill level. On the bike you never know who's in front.
Old 09-14-21, 06:14 PM
fried bake

Yes. Yes it iS. I’m riding a bike, not at a social event, and just because I occasionally encounter random people who move at different rates of speed that occasionally put them in front of me for short periods of time, do I need to engage them. In my experience, this only occurs on a two mile shared path that I typically try to avoid, and no one has ever needed to tell me to back off, nor have I ever noticed someone not directly on my wheel.

In fact, the one time someone did ask me to swap turns after taking my wheel, I declined. It was awkward AF. If I really want someone off my wheel, I know enough to slow down

So, you do you, but please don’t engage me in chatter just because we’re sharing the same road for a short period of time.
Old 09-14-21, 06:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

So, you do you, but please don’t engage me in chatter just because we’re sharing the same road for a short period of time.
And they say New Yorkers are not friendly.

Yes, we all encounter slower riders. But you're faster then pass as soon as it's safe.

When i'm on a MUP and come up behind someone and it's not safe to pass, I tell them "i'll wait till its safe" so they don't get nervous.

I've seen many bad passes when people don't communicate.
Old 09-14-21, 06:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,285 Times in 2,942 Posts
Jesus, is it that hard to just f'ing communicate?
A lot of people on Internet forums spend a lot more time online than they do actually talking to people. For them, the answer to your question probably is yes.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-14-21, 06:37 PM
cxwrench

Yes. Yes it iS. I’m riding a bike, not at a social event, and just because I occasionally encounter random people who move at different rates of speed that occasionally put them in front of me for short periods of time, do I need to engage them. In my experience, this only occurs on a two mile shared path that I typically try to avoid, and no one has ever needed to tell me to back off, nor have I ever noticed someone not directly on my wheel.

In fact, the one time someone did ask me to swap turns after taking my wheel, I declined. It was awkward AF. If I really want someone off my wheel, I know enough to slow down

Are you really this big of an anti-social idiot? 'Awkward AF'? Are you serious? You couldn't have just said 'no thanks, i'm doing my own ride'? You should probably stay in mom's basement, the real world seems to be a little much for you.
Old 09-14-21, 06:41 PM
fried bake

Are you really this big of an anti-social idiot? 'Awkward AF'? Are you serious? You couldn't have just said 'no thanks, i'm doing my own ride'? You should probably stay in mom's basement, the real world seems to be a little much for you.
mom’s basement? Idiot? as insults go this is weak. I don’t even think you would say that to me in person, but somehow you think it acceptable behind a keyboard. Ok…
Old 09-14-21, 06:49 PM
cxwrench

If we were both on the road and this situation came up you can bet your bottom dollar I'd say to your face if you refused to communicate at all. It's not that hard, you should try it sometime...in person.
ETA: I'm sorry to all involved that this thread has degenerated to this level. It does demonstrate that there are indeed all kinds of warped personalities out there on the road and what should be one of the most basic problem solving techniques is most definitely not so basic. If it's 'Awkward AF' to come up with a few words when asked a simple question I don't know what else to say.

Last edited by cxwrench; 09-14-21 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 09:37 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I was out on an early Saturday morning ride and as I was taking a hit off my water bottle a duo passed by. The guy in the rear gave me a hand signal to catch up with them. I thought what a nice move. I followed about 2-3 lengths behind for 6-7 miles then peeled off. No real chatter, but felt the good vibe. No big deal.
Old 09-14-21, 09:43 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Be careful drafting people that you don't trust
yeah, depending...
If you're in Central Park, on a weekend morning (but why ??? crazy melee !!! ) expect everything including many loose groups you can certainly jump on to...
But iff'n you're in a quieter and gentler place (LOL! , do those exist ?) like my part of Ca. Then jump on the wheels of those you know, and let them know you're there...
But yeah, riding close on the wheel of someone you don;t know is a formula for disaster, for the unwelcome follower - unless you let them know you're there, and they're ok with it.
I don;t bother - I just keep a few lengths back, if we're roughly at the same velocity...
Really, if you wanna develop skills for riding on a wheel, go do whatever 'training rides' might be in your area.
Err on the side of sensibility...
someone wants to ride my wheel - shoulder shrug... it's my ride, I continue as I am planning to do...
If I know they're there, I might handsignal major surprise road crap... otherwise I might signal a turn...
You're on 'Your Ride', it's not racing - wanna race, get a license...
OP, you learned something... do your ride... unwanted wheel suckers are rarely appreciated - advise from a skilled wheel sucker... LOL
Thx
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-14-21 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 10:07 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 432 Posts

Not disagreeing with you... and not needing to socialize - I am very often solo, on many things...
but... cycling being what it is and continues to signify to me... I generally try to be a decent role model, especially on any time spent on the MUP...
I'm usually wearing club colors, so aware that others will be judging... I wave, especially to families with kids on bikes... I slow when passing them either way.
If it's a smaller kid, I usually "nice bike' or 'kool helmet' or just a smile and wave.
Costs nothing, means everything in the connection to future riders.
Parents are especially grateful when not all "spandex racers' are a-holes... I'm not unusual, most of the seasoned, good riders in our area act the same...
Especially on a MUP, where there's a 2 way 10 ft ribbon with soft dirt, bushes and trees along side...
Cycling has given and continues to give me a lot; least I can do is be the better side of riding and riders... old and slow as I am...
Ride on
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-14-21 at 10:15 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-14-21, 10:41 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Real class act! Do you talk like this to people faces?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.