Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Putting On Bib Shorts

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Putting On Bib Shorts

Old 09-20-21, 03:21 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Putting On Bib Shorts

Just got some new bib shorts , Campy sold by Nalini , and haven't worn bibs in a few years - feels like I'm pulling and tugging the lycra over my thighs and hips as if I got 2 sizes too small - the XXL is the right size once I get them on but does it normally take this much effort & also the shoulder straps are very thin , is this typical ?? What say you all ??

Last edited by blinky; 09-20-21 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 03:28 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I find them kind of awkward to put on, but once they're in place and I'm riding, I like them better than shorts. I have two bibs, both from Pearl Izumi, but different product lines. The straps on both are pretty thin/flimsy feeling. I have to just pull them into place all twisted and bunched up initially, then flatten them out. Again, once I'm riding they never seem to get messed up, and they give good comfort and performance.
Old 09-20-21, 03:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Just got some new bib shorts , Campy sold by Nalini , and haven't worn bibs in a few years - feels like I'm pulling and tugging the lycra over my thighs and hips as if I got 2 sizes too small - the XXL is the right size once I get them on but does it normally takes this much effort & also the shoulder straps are very thin , is this typical ?? What say you all ??
Does sound as if they are too small, but if you are happy with the fit....
Old 09-20-21, 03:36 PM
Bruizer

Bikes: Grazzini,Litespeed,and Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 33 Posts
Nalini must be sized like Castelli bibs. I normally wear large, but I struggle to fit into XL Castelli. Once they’re on they feel great, but a real pain to get into.I don’t think it’s you. It's probably the bibs.
Old 09-20-21, 03:41 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Yeah, they're a fairly tight fit. But that's the general idea. As long as they are comfortable once in place, all is good.
Old 09-20-21, 03:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
wait till you have both straps on one side and have to get one over your head what fun.
Old 09-20-21, 03:57 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
wait till you have both straps on one side and have to get one over your head what fun.
Operator error. Take them off.
Old 09-20-21, 03:58 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Italian kit always seems to be sized at least one size smaller than what might be expected from an 'American' fit. For some it might be 1+ sizing up, heavier thighs, etc...
When I was more 'M' shorts/bibs I always needed to get 'L' in Italian brands... Castelli, Assos, Giordana, etc. Pearl Izumi fit more to 'size'.
Can't say what how the 'fit' of these brands might change in the larger sizes.
Other thing I found, was 'torso proportion'. Some brands tend to fit better for normal to longer torso, and others normal to short torso...
That has an effect on how the lower parts fit also, even though most better spandex fabrics stretch equally in all directions, if you stretch the fabric more in one plane, the fabric will then be more difficult to stretch in the other plane...
Currently I find the 'Garneau' fit works best for me... and I like their construction and fabrics and a reasonable chamois.
When you say 'thin strap', you don;t mean fabric weight, you mean strap Width as in narrower??? That becomes a decision point between brands and models.
I prefer straps with min. 2 inch width... narrower tends to bunch up at the ends of my clavicles...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-20-21, 04:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,277 Times in 2,940 Posts
Just got some new bib shorts , Campy sold by Nalini , and haven't worn bibs in a few years - feels like I'm pulling and tugging the lycra over my thighs and hips as if I got 2 sizes too small - the XXL is the right size once I get them on but does it normally take this much effort & also the shoulder straps are very thin , is this typical ?? What say you all ??
One leg per hole, right?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-20-21, 05:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Operator error. Take them off.
thats too much like admitting you messed up.
Old 09-20-21, 07:11 PM
djwatt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If Nalini is anything like Castelli - you need to go up one size from the normal fit.

I have been riding bib shorts for years - much more 'secure' than normal shorts and have never had an issue with them being too tight - just 'snug'.

Tip - before pulling the straps over your shoulders, slowly (inch-by-inch) pull the lower part of each leg material over your knees and up the thigh. NEVER pull the bibs up by pulling from the top of the mesh material that sits mid-chest - you'll only prematurely stretch the fabric resulting in a poor fit over time.
Old 09-20-21, 07:21 PM
jolathe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I fold back the cuffs at the bottom so I don’t have to fight their grippers pulling them on, once on I fold the cuffs back down.
Likes For jolathe:
Old 09-20-21, 07:22 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by djwatt
Tip - before pulling the straps over your shoulders, slowly (inch-by-inch) pull the lower part of each leg material over your knees and up the thigh. NEVER pull the bibs up by pulling from the top of the mesh material that sits mid-chest - you'll only prematurely stretch the fabric resulting in a poor fit over time.
I don’t know what’s more depressing: that we’re now giving each other advice on how to put on shorts, or that I read this one and thought, “That’s a good tip, I should remember it.”
Old 09-20-21, 07:25 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Adults struggling daily with their spandex overalls is pure gold!
And all because they can’t handle the pain of an ounce of spandex bunching up on their waste
Old 09-20-21, 08:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Adults struggling daily with their spandex overalls is pure gold!
I'll take that over rolling up on some guy whose jersey is riding while his shorts are riding down. Bleah.
And all because they can’t handle the pain of an ounce of spandex bunching up on their waste
What, you mean in back?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-20-21, 09:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
If Nalini is anything like Castelli - you need to go up one size from the normal fit.

I have been riding bib shorts for years - much more 'secure' than normal shorts and have never had an issue with them being too tight - just 'snug'.

Not only that, but you'll smear your chamois cream all up your back.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-21-21, 12:25 AM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
It might help to lie on your back with your legs up in the air, like a dying bug, kicking around whilst rocking back and forth.
Likes For mikeymichaels:
Old 09-21-21, 12:54 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Come on, people, I am a noob and even I can do this. Simply put bibs on as if they are shorts, do not touch any part of the bibs that you would not find on shorts until everything below your waist is set, like this:

Once bibs are on, do sumo squat, set leg grippers, then tuck bibs up (solely by the waist) to seat chamois, then put on shoulder straps, adjust junk (if any and if necessary), then tuck bibs up again to seat chamois.

Then take a running jump onto your bike (held in place at arm's length by your significant other), making contact with seat, pedals, and handlebars simultaneously (with the appropriate corresponding body parts), and off you go.
Old 09-21-21, 12:56 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by jolathe
I fold back the cuffs at the bottom so I don’t have to fight their grippers pulling them on, once on I fold the cuffs back down.
You must have the quads and hamstrings of Mark Cavendish; fortunately I do not have the same issue.
Old 09-21-21, 05:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
Jorts are definitely the easier choice!
Old 09-21-21, 06:25 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
Originally Posted by jolathe
Same thing I do. Some I've had to slice a vertical relief & resew them. The body fits great but I always have issues with the legs being tight.
Old 09-21-21, 09:42 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
NEVER pull the bibs up by pulling from the top of the mesh material that sits mid-chest - you'll only prematurely stretch the fabric resulting in a poor fit over time.
What kind of bibs do you have that arrive to the middle of your chest?!?
Old 09-21-21, 09:54 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
That was yesterday. I run a size small because tight is much better to avoid sores.
Old 09-21-21, 10:07 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
What kind of bibs do you have that arrive to the middle of your chest?!?
Not sure if this is a real question but winter bibs do tend to have a higher cut on the front. For instance ..

https://ashmei.com/products/mens-win...RoCfbcQAvD_BwE
Old 09-21-21, 10:23 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Not sure if this is a real question but winter bibs do tend to have a higher cut on the front. For instance ..

https://ashmei.com/products/mens-win...RoCfbcQAvD_BwE
Wow, did not know. In my defense, I live in Southern California, so winter clothing means knee warmers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.