Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I drill my brake bridge?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Should I drill my brake bridge?

Old 09-22-21, 11:19 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
At least with the old Record calipers, there were three stud lengths and the mid-sized one was used both for the front,recessed, and for the rear, nutted.

So since that length was used in two applications, it should be the most common to find, and would work on either the front or rear of this bike.

I don't think that this one was Lippy-built, as those had a distinctive curvature to the fork legs that I don't think I am seeing here.
Old 09-23-21, 09:35 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

I would locate a bushing that will fill the back of the fork crown, (at some point these were an aftermarket part in the 80's)
....it's pretty easy to make one, by just taking the recessed mounting nut of your choice, and drilling out the threads inside it, so the brake bolt slides on through cleanly.