Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Never been to a gym

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Never been to a gym

Old 12-31-18, 09:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Here is a fitness test I found. I'm not vouching for it's accuracy, its just a novelty. You don't need to answer the second set of questions, but you really need to be honest.

HOW FIT ARE YOU,REALLY?

As long as you have a healthy immune system and take normal precautions there's nothing for you to worry about. Even germaphobe like myself can survive the gym with the proper precautions.

I failed the first step. Evidently being from Australia means I'm not allowed to go on to the next step. I don't know if that means I'm in such great shape I don't need tests like that or what.
Old 12-31-18, 10:09 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I've been going to they gym pretty much continuously since 79. Only time off was when on sea duty. I just like the scheduled 3 days a week bit. I know I'm going to do it and there's no need to "make time" for it or "fit it in". I'm fortunate to be retired next to an army base and retirees have the run of the place. Working out next to the troops I find inspiring. I can tell you there are some tough female troops these days. Last couple of weeks have been kind of quiet as many are off on leave, but next week I expect it to be hell with all the noobs starting their resolutions. Lasts until about the end of Jan, then it's us "regulars".

scott s.
Old 12-31-18, 10:31 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I wonder how accurate it is ??....I just took this test. I am almost 49 years old and according to this test I have a fitness of a 31 year old.
Originally Posted by Machka
I failed the first step. Evidently being from Australia means I'm not allowed to go on to the next step. I don't know if that means I'm in such great shape I don't need tests like that or what.
I'd accept that as a reasonable explanation. However, by the number of conversions I had to go through, I realized it wasn't from any tests or studies done in the U.S.

In any event, as stated, I'm not vouching for it. I just discovered it as a link to a link, to a link. You be the judge and let me know what you think.

https://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/vo2max#Accurate
Old 01-01-19, 01:09 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Lots of un-fit talented athletes everywhere. Also lots of super fit untalented too.
Old 01-01-19, 03:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I think it's because we know that walking upside down has turned you into a nation of super people.
Old 01-01-19, 08:09 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I agree.

Even when I was training as a bodybuilder, I couldn't do pull ups ... IMO, that's a silly measurement.

Military and SWAT Teams have been using pull ups for a long time as a way to test upper body strength during their selection process because it's one of the best indicators of upper body strength......Bodybuilders don't train for strength they train for looks and aesthetics, most bodybuilders are weak and lack athleticism despite having mountains of muscle all over their bodies.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-01-19, 08:16 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Physical fitness is made up of 4 main components: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, and flexibility.
Is that all ??...What about speed, power and explosiveness ??
Old 01-01-19, 08:42 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Fitness test says I'm twenty years younger...AND it made me better looking!
Old 01-01-19, 08:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
Fitness test says I'm twenty years younger...AND it made me better looking!
Pictures with age caption?
Old 01-01-19, 08:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
What about the mirror test? It probably is of more interest to more people at the gym than any other metric; regardless of what the fitness gurus may proclaim should be the goal of working out.
Old 01-01-19, 09:19 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What about the mirror test?
The only problem with mirror test, is that sometimes looks can be very deceiving. You can't always judge by outside appearance. A mirror won't expose a persons weaknesses.
Old 01-01-19, 09:38 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
most bodybuilders are weak
This isn't true. They may be weak compared other strength athletes that are a similar size, but they aren't weak.
Old 01-01-19, 09:46 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions

I'm also not really thrilled with this idea of labeling people as "fit" or "not fit" as if those are absolute terms..
To me fitness has 3 different parts:

# 1. Ability to perform daily tasks and responsibilities without difficulty and discomfort.
# 2. Ability to perform well in your chosen sport or recreational activity.
# 3. Ability to handle unexpected emergency situations which life can sometimes throw at you.

Having ability to perform in all 3 of those situations is what I would call a well balanced fitness.
Old 01-01-19, 09:52 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I like my gym. My gym has a pool. There are lounge chairs surrounding the pool and each lounge chair has a red flag. When you lay on the lounge chair and flip up the red flag, a waitress comes over to you and takes your order. My gym makes a good bloody mary.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-01-19, 05:46 PM
Doge

I don't have video of the later with much more weight. (see my son is not my only kid)

"As a goal keeper you just stand there..."

Helped doing this:
Old 01-01-19, 06:52 PM
KraneXL

The only problem with mirror test, is that sometimes looks can be very deceiving. You can't always judge by outside appearance. A mirror won't expose a persons weaknesses.
Actually, the mirror test can be remarkable accurate as long as you're being honest with yourself.
Originally Posted by Doge
I don't have video of the later with much more weight. (see my son is not my only kid)

"As a goal keeper you just stand there..."
https://youtu.be/3LkbOT0KUwU

Helped doing this: https://youtu.be/pAcfaKP9_aM
Speaking of being honest, what works for you son will work for you. You never outgrow exercise...never!
Old 01-01-19, 06:59 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If I don't get the muscles going about my daily life, I don't need them.
Old 01-01-19, 07:03 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
All components of or results of cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, and flexibility.
Old 01-01-19, 07:10 PM
Doge

...what works for you son will work for you.
That was not my son, rather daughter. One of the best female goal keepers in the USA at the time.
And that would not work for my son, or me. Exercises are different depending on what you are trying to do and the body's ability to adapt - which is training, age, gender and gene based.
I don't do weights much at all, but I get it. Cycling fast personally is not something I care about, although I am not slow.

You never outgrow exercise...never!
Well, ya, you do. You get to a point enough is enough and more is worse. Risk of injury can outweigh the value of the activity.
I do about 5 hours/week at may age and I think that is a good balance. Eating and drinking less is something that would make me healthier, more exercise would not.

I've flown more than a couple flights with some big time NBA/NFL hall of famer guys that can barely walk. Not saying that is weights, but the toll on the body is clear.

Rest is the most underrated activity out there.
Old 01-01-19, 07:36 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Doge
That was not my son, rather daughter. One of the best female goal keepers in the USA at the time.
And that would not work for my son, or me. Exercises are different depending on what you are trying to do and the body's ability to adapt - which is training, age, gender and gene based.
I don't do weights much at all, but I get it. Cycling fast personally is not something I care about, although I am not slow.
My apologies, but since you said son I followed your lead.

Well, ya, you do. You get to a point enough is enough and more is worse. Risk of injury can outweigh the value of the activity.
I do about 5 hours/week at may age and I think that is a good balance. Eating and drinking less is something that would make me healthier, more exercise would not.

I've flown more than a couple flights with some big time NBA/NFL hall of famer guys that can barely walk. Not saying that is weights, but the toll on the body is clear.

Rest is the most underrated activity out there.
Now you're nitpicking. They paid the price because it was their profession, not a lifestyle. Anyway, I said "exercise" (strength training to be specific), and I stand by that. As long as you know what you're doing, the benefits far out weighs the risks -- at any age.

Last edited by KraneXL; 01-01-19 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 10:51 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Never been to a gym. And at 68, and healthy, don't feel the need. Of course, some of this might be due to having an old style SoloFlex (the one with the stretchy rubber things), and a gym quality treadmill at home! Don't think that taking care of mucking a stall, cleaning up horse manure, keeping the hay stacked and putting it in our storage area (hay bales aren't light) & carrying 4 gallons of water to fill up water buckets is hurting anything Just wish the horse could "hold it" in wet and cold weather!! He's a gentle, big pet, so can't complain, and it forces me to get some exercise every day. (guess I could complain, but he'd just ignore it anyway!)
Old 01-02-19, 03:18 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Military and SWAT Teams have been using pull ups for a long time as a way to test upper body strength during their selection process because it's one of the best indicators of upper body strength......Bodybuilders don't train for strength they train for looks and aesthetics, most bodybuilders are weak and lack athleticism despite having mountains of muscle all over their bodies.
Yes and no. It's a little more complicated. I tend to look at what the exercise does or doesn't specifically do. While it is true that military type organizations use pull ups as an indicator that can't be taken out of context. It is specifically an indicator of upper body flexion strength and almost always is used in conjunction with other tests such as pushups (upper body extension strength), running (cardio) and sit ups (core). Those types of exercise are also used because there is a low equipment input for large groups (basically a bar and some flat ground) as opposed to a "gym".

Pull ups for training also develop upper body strength only while ignoring core and leg strength. That can be good or bad depending on what the outcome performance goals are. If you want to be a competitive arm wrestler or rope climber they are very good. If you want to compete in Judo or swing an axe, they are incomplete exercise models at best. So, while pull ups are good exercises in themselves that can be adapted for large groups at low cost, they are seldom done in isolation as testing nor as a complete training regime.

Also, saying body builders are weak is incorrect. Muscles grow due to resistance training which means they gain strength. You may be referring to the difference between say power lifting and body building but that's really just a difference of degree. Both are still stronger than most.

To me fitness has 3 different parts:

# 1. Ability to perform daily tasks and responsibilities without difficulty and discomfort.
# 2. Ability to perform well in your chosen sport or recreational activity.
# 3. Ability to handle unexpected emergency situations which life can sometimes throw at you.

Having ability to perform in all 3 of those situations is what I would call a well balanced fitness.
This I would agree with quite a bit. Fitness, as a general descriptive term, always breaks down at the individual level because it depends on what you routinely do. A white water kayaker will have a very different reflection of fitness as compared to a cross country runner. Almost polar opposites of extremity muscular development with some commonality at the core. But for most non competitive athletic people general fitness could be having the ability to move between a variety of average exertion activities without undue stress. Climb a couple of flights of stairs, swim a distance (if you know how to swim), muck out a stall as noted by free ranger or go for a moderate bike ride. To excel in any of those beyond moderation requires specific activity training which I think might be called competency rather than general fitness.

If one cannot do those general sort of things (underlying medical conditions not withstanding) then one might be said to not be fit. It's interesting to note that the requirement for completion is not over development of certain muscle groups but rather a general strong core and decent cardiovascular health.

That is the basket where I put my eggs because I move between several activities, currently: scuba diving, free diving, long distance cycling, trail running and occasionally XC sking and kayaking. I suppose I lose out a bit in upper end performance by not focusing on specific training (although I do a bit for cycling and use all as cross training in off seasons) I gain in all by focusing on cardio and core. Also, if any extremity muscle groups played a major role it would be legs so I work those more than arms thus poor pull up outcomes. Upper body flexion is almost useless in the activities I pursue.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-02-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 03:36 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I agree.

Even when I was training as a bodybuilder, I couldn't do pull ups ... IMO, that's a silly measurement.

I can cycle long distances, run reasonable distances, row, cross-country ski, snowshoe, hike up mountains, canoe, lift weights, do yoga, but because I can't do pull ups, I'm not physically fit??

Physical fitness is made up of 4 main components: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, and flexibility.

I'm probably weakest in the "flexibility" category, but I do work on that from time to time.

I also think that there's an element of practicality that has to be considered. Can I do the things I want to do with my level of fitness? If not, then something needs to improve.

So for me, one of the things I need to do on a fairly regular basis is to walk longish distances carrying a moderately heavy backpack. It's a transportation necessity for me and I can do that. So in that regard, I'm fit enough for my practical purposes.
I think you and others touch on something that I see in my work with the elderly. Almost all older people of the war/post war generation did not go to a gym or even perform athletics but those that "age" well physically seem to have had active lives in the form of moderate workload like farming and/or lots of walking. The worst are those that worked and then do nothing upon retirement, having earned a long desired rest. The mind that accepts regular exertion as normal seems to be more fit long term. I would say fitness is far easier to achieve (and more beneficial long term) if it is the result of overall active lifestyles rather than sedentary lives interposed with activity on a gym.

I'm fairy lucky ATM to be able to bike commute once again to work (after a few years of car commuting 2 hours each day) and walk a lot as part of my job. This helps a great deal as far as basic training goes so that I can jump into activities at a more advanced level rather than having to work up from an entry level of fitness. The more I can jump into activities, the more activities I do. It's a self fulfilling cycle of fitness that is a pleasure to experience once it happens. The world of physical experiences opens up because I am basically capable of doing them moderately. From there I choose which I really enjoy and work further on.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-02-19 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 03:38 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Living in the snow belt, I have to go to the gym and ride the recumbent exercise bike to keep my leg strength over winter. BTW New Years morning it was 4 degrees out.
Old 01-02-19, 03:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I think you and others touch on something that I see in my work with the elderly. Almost all older people of the war/post war generation did not go to a gym or even perform athletics but those that "age" well physically seem to have had active lives in the form of moderate workload like farming and/or lots of walking. The worst are those that worked and then do nothing upon retirement, having earned a long desired rest. The mind that accepts regular exertion as normal seems to be more fit long term. I would say fitness is far easier to achieve (and more beneficial long term) if it is the result of overall active lifestyles rather than sedentary lives interposed with activity on a gym.

I'm fairy lucky ATM to be able to bike commute once again to work (after a few years of car commuting 2 hours each day) and walk a lot as part of my job. This helps a great deal as far as basic training goes so that I can jump into activities at a more advanced level rather than having to work up from an entry level of fitness. The more I can jump into activities, the more activities I do. It's a self fulfilling cycle of fitness that is a pleasure to experience once it happens. The world of physical experiences opens up because I am basically capable of doing them moderately. From there I choose which I really enjoy and work further on.

My job necessitates many sedentary hours. Making the effort to go to the gym was key to breaking the habit of continuing on into a sedentary evening and weekend. In essence, those initially short visits served as a sort of "gateway drug" to a habit of doing a fairly rigorous workout routine throughout the week. I really have a much lower tolerance for sitting around doing nothing as a result.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.