Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My wife says my hi-vis jerseys are like an aol.com email address

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My wife says my hi-vis jerseys are like an aol.com email address

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 10:42 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
......riding in the redwood canopy, but now that it has for the most part been incinerated, maybe my priorities should change? Also, there is an inherent limit to how non-geeky one can look on a bike, especially at my age...

Anyway, is there any reasonable alternative between screaming acid-yellow and black Rapha with a median stripe painted on the back?

There have been many studies about on-road bike/auto interaction.
A British one found if you have a baby carrier, even without baby, you get the greatest 'passing allowance' of all cyclists. just think of how much more power you will build climbing the mountain.

I just try to look weird on the bikes to get noticed, but in your territory weird is the order of the day. Used to be - Hwy9 on a dreary, foggy morning = blinkies galore.

I do miss the Santa Cruz Mts roads. Probably still as narrow, twisty and earthquake cracked as I remember them.

edit: as a positive contribution - you could call Grant P and see if they still have the patented SpeedBlend tires. These (ooopps, this rear is my last 1) came in a generous 28mm, . Guaranteed to be noticed at road speeds.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-31-20 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-31-20, 02:33 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
If she suggests any camo printed kit, you might want to mod the beneficiary on the life insurance...
Or asphalt grey.
Old 10-31-20, 02:35 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Mojo31
This one I need. Does it come in an XXL?
Old 10-31-20, 02:39 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by woodcraft
(digression) Last night, I ended up spending hours on an extreme sudoku puzzle after watching it being done on Youtube.
One of the comments: "Wife: what are you doing still looking at your phone at 2 AM? Me: looking for naked singles in this area." (this is a sudoku term)
This comment generated 80 comments of it's own including plays on timing of funeral services for husband.
One of my hobbies is ham radio, and after looking up the Morse Express website I had to explain why www.morsex.com was in my browser history.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-31-20, 02:44 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
IF I'm not wearing a hi-vis yellow or orange wicking/performance T-shirt (sorry guys, I don't wear cycling jerseys - tried 'em multiple times, and don't like 'em), I'll put the cheap safety hi-vis reflective mesh vest from Harbor Freight... Less that $5!

https://www.harborfreight.com/reflec...vest-3604.html

Wear one of these with a handheld radio on your belt and you can go virtually anywhere.
Old 10-31-20, 02:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by stevel610

Yup, very fred. But also very well seen. Since I started wearing this type I've noticed cars giving more clearance and slowing when passing. Wife approved.
My mother-in-law gave me a brand new hi-viz yellow coat with reflective bands on it similar to this. I have yet to wear it since it's pretty think and probably too hot to wear on a bike, even in cold weather. I'd be sweating buckets in all but well below freezing weather. And it's not something I'd just wear out somewhere.
Old 10-31-20, 05:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Better than going stealth by wearing all black! And I can wear whatever I want under it - no need to change out of MAMIL-wear to walk into a store. Just one quick clasp, and I stuff it into my bag or roll it up and bungee it to my rack. I also keep a change of clothes in my locker at work so that I can ride to work in my hiking shorts... and I prefer to wear a golf shirt/polo at work.

But as I said earlier, if I'm out for a just a ride I normally wear either a long or shortsleeve hi-vis wicking shirt. Even those don't look out of place when walking into a store or restaurant any more...

I wear yellow shirts, which works well for me. I didn't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with preferring the vest, just that it doesn't work well for me. I find them awkward, and they rub unpleasantly on me in the positions I ride.
I'm glad you found something that works for you. Sorry if I came off snarky, didn't mean to.
Old 11-01-20, 01:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
From observing friends and other road cyclists, some of whom prefer black or gray kit, a white or hi-viz helmet can make a big difference in visibility. A black helmet is the last thing I'd choose. Mine are white, white with hi-viz orange on the rear, and hi-viz yellow. My aero helmet is gray and I'm considering adding some hi-viz color and reflective tape. I also add front and rear helmet lights most rides -- small, flat Blackburn 2'Fers, very discrete, lightweight.

I've watched other roadies who were wearing black/gray, including helmets, from a distance, as they passed through patches of sunlight and dappled shade. They virtually vanish into invisibility in the shade along roadsides, even in daylight. The eye adapts mostly for daylight so even in daytime the shadows under trees can hide us.

And I usually run at least one headlight and taillight, day or night. Usually two or more at night. I've had cars slow beside me while passing and comment on how much easier it is to see me. That's good. My theory is that it doesn't take blindingly bright lights to be seen, but multiple lights help drivers quickly estimate our orientation -- direction of travel, distance and relative closing speed. Basic human physiology stuff -- our binocular vision is aided by two or more points in the distance.

I'm not particular about jerseys and usually buy whatever color is on sale in the jersey I want. I snagged three Pearl Izumi aero jerseys last year, two in hi-viz yellow, one in blue, because they were half price or less. The blue was just luck. Usually it's the hi-viz colors on sale because the cool kids won't wear 'em. Those PI and my Garneau and Bontrager jerseys all have pretty good reflective patches for night visibility. The Garneau has the best reflective trim -- it appears matte gray/black in daylight, but very bright under light at night.

But nothing helps drivers who aren't looking or don't give a damn. I've encountered my share of both kinds.
Old 11-01-20, 07:15 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have both of those things, hi- viz jerseys and AOL.com account. Both seem to work pretty well, especially the high viz jerseys.
Old 11-01-20, 07:43 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Why don’t you try a sky blue jersey with some clouds on it, or may a farm field, or some other roadside scenery, drivers will always see the bike first. 🤪
Tim
Old 11-01-20, 08:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
From observing friends and other road cyclists, some of whom prefer black or gray kit, a white or hi-viz helmet can make a big difference in visibility. A black helmet is the last thing I'd choose. Mine are white, white with hi-viz orange on the rear, and hi-viz yellow. My aero helmet is gray and I'm considering adding some hi-viz color and reflective tape. I also add front and rear helmet lights most rides -- small, flat Blackburn 2'Fers, very discrete, lightweight.

I've watched other roadies who were wearing black/gray, including helmets, from a distance, as they passed through patches of sunlight and dappled shade. They virtually vanish into invisibility in the shade along roadsides, even in daylight. The eye adapts mostly for daylight so even in daytime the shadows under trees can hide us.

And I usually run at least one headlight and taillight, day or night. Usually two or more at night. I've had cars slow beside me while passing and comment on how much easier it is to see me. That's good. My theory is that it doesn't take blindingly bright lights to be seen, but multiple lights help drivers quickly estimate our orientation -- direction of travel, distance and relative closing speed. Basic human physiology stuff -- our binocular vision is aided by two or more points in the distance.

I'm not particular about jerseys and usually buy whatever color is on sale in the jersey I want. I snagged three Pearl Izumi aero jerseys last year, two in hi-viz yellow, one in blue, because they were half price or less. The blue was just luck. Usually it's the hi-viz colors on sale because the cool kids won't wear 'em. Those PI and my Garneau and Bontrager jerseys all have pretty good reflective patches for night visibility. The Garneau has the best reflective trim -- it appears matte gray/black in daylight, but very bright under light at night.

But nothing helps drivers who aren't looking or don't give a damn. I've encountered my share of both kinds.

Riding today in a hilly area with long shadows on several stretches, I could just barely make out approaching cyclists on two separate occasions because they wore black and gray with black helmets and no lights. I could imagine seeing a car going wide to pass me taking them out. They no doubt saw me a long way off with white flashing LEDs and high vis vest and white helmet. Could almost hear them saying, look at that old dork, as I was thinking, ‘potentially deadly slaves to fashion.’ I wanted to put “Kick me” signs on their backs, but don’t wish them ill.

Old 11-01-20, 09:00 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
He took his ball and went home after going on a seemingly unprovoked rant about board discourse and there being some deleted posts. Sui blu made their typical comments to fuel the fire and Timmy hasn't been back since.
That whole thread is a filled with the absurd, actually.
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...l-bikes-3.html
Pulled that up and read into the second page .......wow 😳😳😳😳😳
Old 11-02-20, 12:22 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
I ride motorcycles and bicycles. On bikes, I always wear hi vis. Thirty years ago I loved my cool Gios blue and white wool jerseys. Today all I want is to be highly visible. I always wear high vis, use a led blinking light, and a mirror.

I have had several motorcycle experiences where a driver just did not see me. I know because I chased them down, flagged them over, and explained that they had nearly killed me, and the legal and moral consequence, had they done so, would have destroyed their lives. They all said the same thing: "I just didn't see you."
Old 11-02-20, 12:24 PM
Geno929

Bikes: SPECIALIZED SIRRUS 2016 w/ ZIPP 404's & RAD CITY 5 2020

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome kit, but Amazon has a three week backlog! HeeHee
Old 11-02-20, 02:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I have both of those things, hi- viz jerseys and AOL.com account. Both seem to work pretty well, especially the high viz jerseys.
I really had no idea that AOL was still around.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-02-20, 02:08 PM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
wheel reflectors

I don't buy the if "if every-one is wearing hivis, I wont stand out" theory. For my eyesight, his vis yellow immediately gets my attention.....for example in the distance I see the hivis and then when getting closer i see there are five other riders there dressed in camoflage. It is just important in bright sunlight to be wearing hi vis, its going to be more noticeable then high intensity flashing lights, roads are generally black...............

It seems to be more of a vanity thing to wear dark, and/or not have suitable lighting. High intensity flashing lights, yes they work, and i use them front and rear, the front one is especially bright and it really makes motorists notice you and perhaps not pull out in front of me. But they are not the whole package, unless you have them projecting to the sides as well, yes most incidents are from cyclists getting hit from behind, but poeple not seeing you from side on is an issue too.

I wear also wear fluro socks, and make sure Im turning the cranks over even when coasting downhill to create the movement image. My present helmet is dark......my next will be a fluro colour, the only thing that helped me pick up a cyclist recently when driving my car was the fluro helmet(the cyclist was riding when it was dusk with no other visual aids)

My 80s touring bike still has the toe clips and pedals with reflectors on both sides, another reason I wont be changing to cleats. There is a reflector on the rear mudguard(its technically illegal where I live for bicycles not to have front and rear reflectors, but never enforced) I also have left in the orginal spoke mounted reflectors, typically one mounts them opposite the valve for balance, yet they can be moved anywhere to get your wheel perfectly balanced(I actually run two per wheel), they really dont weigh much at all and in theory could only add microsecs to your ride times, but Im guessing to some out there they are as sissy as having streamers coming from the handlebars? My current tyres also have a reflective band on them, from any angle I light up like a christmas tree!

Reflective 3m tape, have put a couple on my helmet and some on my bike pump(have resisted putting any tape on the frame of the bicycle.
Old 11-02-20, 09:30 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
After a cyclist was killed just a few miles ahead of me, on an Ohio brevet*, I rethought everything including quitting cycling. I came across the scene; I'll just stop there.

I thought about spinny reflectors, a giant flashing beacon glued to my helmet, or a dozen blinkies. Eventually I covered my bike with reflective tape of different colors, doubled up on tail lights, and carried on. Everybody dies, I decided, and I like to ride my bike.

I think high vis increases your chances of being seen, but it's not guaranteed either way. Wear want you want, but most of all enjoy the ride.
Edit: I forgot one important thing. If it feels unsafe, get off the road.

*Although I'm a randonneur and ride plenty at night, this particular collision occurred mid-day, weather clear as a bell, on a straight flat road with probably a half-mile straight line visibility and no traffic. The car that hit him from behind was probably the only car in fifteen minutes.

Last edited by downtube42; 11-02-20 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-02-20, 09:34 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Oy. I am really sorry.
Old 11-03-20, 03:31 AM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I bought a Reflectoes vest. Good thing is it is the solid silver reflective vest. Bad news is it does not breathe so you'll end up sweaty. I stand out like a beacon since the whole front and back are reflective ant not just strips.
Old 11-06-20, 06:08 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I really had no idea that AOL was still around.
My internet experince started with AOL in the late '80s, and still have my AOL account. I only switched to gmail as my primary account because some vendors would not accept a AOL account for some reason.

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 11-06-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-06-20, 06:26 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
From more miles on a motorcycle than a bicycle, I have learned that high vis is helpful, but the best defense is situational awareness. Know the situation you're in and avoid bad situations. Anticipate what the other person is going to do. I know that is easier said than done and I find it a little harder on a bicycle when your riding on streets with lots of traffic that is going much faster than you are.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 11-06-20, 06:35 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My internet experince started with AOL in the 'ate '80s, and still have my AOL account. I only switched to gmail as my primary account because some vendors would not accept a AOL account for some reason.
Is that an AOL avatar?
Old 11-06-20, 08:03 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Is that an AOL avatar?
Not really. Or as I prefer to put it - and as Joe Walsh puts it -- "I'm an analog man in a digital world"

Likes For Cougrrcj: