Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Powder coaters you like - post them here!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Powder coaters you like - post them here!

Old 02-19-21, 07:27 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
gugie
Dark Matter Finishing in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Dark Matter Finishing
Does both wet and powder and is the only person my local builder will send his frames to for paint.

Old 02-19-21, 08:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
gugie
Does both wet and powder and is the only person my local builder will send his frames to for paint.
Dual threat!
Added.
Old 02-20-21, 11:45 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
I've been meaning to post on this thread, finally had a sunny day off to take some pictures. This Univega Gran Sprint was done by a guy named Cameron who is friends with the owner of the LBS I work at in New Orleans. He's a former bike shop owner who has his own fabrication and paint shop. No business information as he mostly subcontracts for the film industry in town, but PM me if you'd like his phone number. He charges $150 to media blast and powdercoat a frame and fork, including acetone bath, masking, and cost of powder from powderbuythepound. He also has a dip tank for frames that have already been powdercoated. Turnaround is about two weeks depending on what else he's working on. Check out the definition on the thinned lugs.

I had him do another frame in gloss black and he wasn't happy with the finish, so he offered to redo it for free or give me half off, a deal I was happy to take on a bike I plan to flip. Excellent guy.
Old 02-20-21, 12:22 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by eeuuugh
I've been meaning to post on this thread, finally had a sunny day off to take some pictures. This Univega Gran Sprint was done by a guy named Cameron who is friends with the owner of the LBS I work at in New Orleans. He's a former bike shop owner who has his own fabrication and paint shop. No business information as he mostly subcontracts for the film industry in town, but PM me if you'd like his phone number. He charges $150 to media blast and powdercoat a frame and fork, including acetone bath, masking, and cost of powder from powderbuythepound. He also has a dip tank for frames that have already been powdercoated. Turnaround is about two weeks depending on what else he's working on. Check out the definition on the thinned lugs.

I had him do another frame in gloss black and he wasn't happy with the finish, so he offered to redo it for free or give me half off, a deal I was happy to take on a bike I plan to flip. Excellent guy.
Good price, quality, and turnaround time! Added, and Louisiana is now in the house.
Old 02-20-21, 01:05 PM
mariuspopovici

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In South Florida: Fusion Powdercoating in Dania, FL. Can't post the link because it won't let me (not enough posts) but Google them. $125 sandblasting + powdercoating. They did a good job on a 85 Rockhopper frame I restored recently.
Old 02-20-21, 03:46 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by mariuspopovici
In South Florida: Fusion Powdercoating in Dania, FL. Can't post the link because it won't let me (not enough posts) but Google them. $125 sandblasting + powdercoating. They did a good job on a 85 Rockhopper frame I restored recently.
Gotcha. The southern states are starting to fill out. Florida's pretty big, could use one around Jacksonville and the panhandle? Anybody?
Old 02-24-21, 06:48 PM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Gugie, The Motobecane is leaving tomorrow for powder paint. I found a shop through my neighbor , a machine shop that I do quite a bit of work for. I will post information when the frame comes back . This is a first for me, he says that there is a primer that has to be applied to help the powder paint bond correctly after media blast. He quoted me $125 for the frame including masking and $25 for the fork. It is a Grand Sprint so worth putting a couple of hundred in with decals. It is now a really nice Firenze Red and I told him I wanted it as close as he can. I will put the decals back on in original silver. If this works out ok we may have at least one shop in Ventura California. I know of another one but he refuses to do anything because of Covid and his price starts at $225. Joe
Old 02-24-21, 07:28 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Chrome, hmm, lemmee think about if we should have a separate thread.

Damn, I plan on moving down to the area in a couple of years, hope he's still around then!
surprising to see ANY chrome shop still in business in one of the Coastal Counties of Cali. The Air Resources Board has made metal plating pretty much impossible, I should think Santa Maria is no exception. This guy could be flying under the radar but...not for long.(IMHO)
Old 02-25-21, 07:03 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
gugie
First saw Oliver's work on the Google 650b group. I've emailed back and forth with him about my Bianchi and he's currently my primary option when I get around to it, and he's been really helpful. If and when I get work done, I'll post pictures on this thread.
Likes For AJI125:
Old 02-25-21, 08:03 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Can someone please reveal a hidden low cost high quality powdercoater in Toronto. Any moment now...
Old 02-25-21, 09:52 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I had my Grand Sport done several years ago at J&J Powder, Zion, IL. He did a respectable job for under $100.

Likes For due ruote:
Old 02-25-21, 10:52 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Gugie, The Motobecane is leaving tomorrow for powder paint. I found a shop through my neighbor , a machine shop that I do quite a bit of work for. I will post information when the frame comes back . This is a first for me, he says that there is a primer that has to be applied to help the powder paint bond correctly after media blast. He quoted me $125 for the frame including masking and $25 for the fork. It is a Grand Sprint so worth putting a couple of hundred in with decals. It is now a really nice Firenze Red and I told him I wanted it as close as he can. I will put the decals back on in original silver. If this works out ok we may have at least one shop in Ventura California. I know of another one but he refuses to do anything because of Covid and his price starts at $225. Joe
Looking forward to seeing pics!

Originally Posted by unworthy1
surprising to see ANY chrome shop still in business in one of the Coastal Counties of Cali. The Air Resources Board has made metal plating pretty much impossible, I should think Santa Maria is no exception. This guy could be flying under the radar but...not for long.(IMHO)
I know of a shop across the river from Portland in Vancouver, WA that has no signage, rough area of town, fits that description.

Originally Posted by AJI125
First saw Oliver's work on the Google 650b group. I've emailed back and forth with him about my Bianchi and he's currently my primary option when I get around to it, and he's been really helpful. If and when I get work done, I'll post pictures on this thread.
Looking forward to that one too!

Originally Posted by due ruote
I had my Grand Sport done several years ago at J&J Powder, Zion, IL. He did a respectable job for under $100.

Beauty, I'll add them to the list.

Last edited by gugie; 02-25-21 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-06-21, 01:59 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Pike Powdercoating, Allston, MA

I had my 1988 Schwinn Voyageur painted, Misty Aquarius with a clear topcoat. Very happy with the look and finish. $350 including prep. (additionally, a shout-out to Roulez Cycles of Lynn, MA for replacing the rusty top-tube cable guides)

Old 03-07-21, 05:39 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
gugie

Ollie does great work..I had my Turner done by him when he was @ Spectrum
Old 03-07-21, 09:42 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
gugie

Are those two examples hydro-printed?
That may be yet another process that needs to be researched and posted!
Old 03-07-21, 10:02 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I think there are two reasons for powder coating.

The obvious is to restore an old bike. This can and should be expensive to have done right. The custom shops are probably worth it.

The other, more common and often overlooked is to produce a clean looking bike with a durable finish. Most cities of any size have a local shop, usually a powder coating and chrome polishing gig. They work on specific car parts for the auto body shop.

These smaller shops can do a great solid single color of medium gloss. It's up to you to make sure the threads are protected by old bolts and it's ideal to use disposable headset cups and bb cups.

The price is great though. I got my Voodoo Wazoo done at a shop like that. $100 for the whole bike including sandblasting. It would have been $75 for just the frame. It's not super blingey but there wasn't a single blemish on the bike when they finished. I've been very pleased but it isn't the sort of place to ship across the country for.

Not really old enough for this group, but a good example of what local dude can do.

Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-07-21, 05:24 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I think there are two reasons for powder coating.

The obvious is to restore an old bike. This can and should be expensive to have done right. The custom shops are probably worth it.

The other, more common and often overlooked is to produce a clean looking bike with a durable finish. Most cities of any size have a local shop, usually a powder coating and chrome polishing gig. They work on specific car parts for the auto body shop.

These smaller shops can do a great solid single color of medium gloss. It's up to you to make sure the threads are protected by old bolts and it's ideal to use disposable headset cups and bb cups.

The price is great though. I got my Voodoo Wazoo done at a shop like that. $100 for the whole bike including sandblasting. It would have been $75 for just the frame. It's not super blingey but there wasn't a single blemish on the bike when they finished. I've been very pleased but it isn't the sort of place to ship across the country for.

Not really old enough for this group, but a good example of what local dude can do.

Very nice!

Was it done by a shop I haven't listed yet in the first post of this thread? If not, get me particulars and I'll update so others can partake.
Old 03-08-21, 09:47 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Very nice!

Was it done by a shop I haven't listed yet in the first post of this thread? If not, get me particulars and I'll update so others can partake.
Tiny's Powder coating and Chrome polishing in Pueblo West CO.

My point though, for solid work that isn't fancy, nearly every city over 75,000 has something like this.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-08-21, 10:30 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by rosefarts
My point though, for solid work that isn't fancy, nearly every city over 75,000 has something like this.
True, but would you trust just any powder coater to do your bike frame?

"We've all heard horror stories of frames practically etched through by improper media blasting, lug details ruined by overly thick application, and terrible masking. Many are looking for someone they can trust with their precious frame and fork."

Looking for vetted powder coaters, Tiny's is now on the list!
Old 03-08-21, 10:50 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Does Tiny’s also run a bar and grill on the outskirts of Tucson? @gugie has been known to enjoy karaoke night there.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-10-21, 07:13 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
PowderTek in Grand Junction CO. They've done three frames for me, and did an absolutely perfect job of masking off the stuff that needed to be masked...clearly very experienced with ,bikes. They typically charged about $120 for a frame and fork. They did a lot of industrial work for the oil and gas industry, and were equipped to do very large pieces, like car and truck frames, or prebuilt outdoor steel staircases.

Unfortunately, they appear to have gone out of business, not sure why. Just adding them to this list because when they were doing work, they did amazing stuff.
Old 03-25-21, 02:51 PM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I got my Motobecane back from powder coat. It is still shrink wrapped but color looks good and finish is good on fork crown. I will post pics after I have a chance to go over it on the stand this weekend. He special ordered the color to match but still held the price at 125 for the frame and 25 for the fork. It looks like it was masked well and has little plugs in the axel stop screw holes so that's a good sign. He says he does a lot of bike frames as well as machined parts (industrial). From what I can see it looks like a good job. Joe
Old 08-07-21, 06:35 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Definitely! Chrome platers are getting harder and harder to find.
gugie,
After a few months of waiting I gave the guys a call. They told me they didn't like the finish of the fork and went back to do it a second time. So today I got it back! Who hoo! Here are the pics of what I consider a great refinish of some chrome. These guys are old school and I was warned about the look of an EPA site in the making but they did a wonderful job. Highly recommend Shelbyville Plating and Polishing for the above average workmanship. They charged me $100 which was for me a great price for the finished product. Smiles, MH

Fork came back in a sock but was well packed

out of sock for the first look

the details were spot on in the finish

more detail of the finished work

note the crispness of the panto-graphics

another shot of the finished product
Old 08-07-21, 08:11 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Sweet!

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-10-21, 05:45 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Thanks Ben,
Gugie suggested that I post it here as there are not a lot of Chrome Platers left out in the world. I am super impressed with the finished product. Smiles, MH

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.