Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Record Exa-drive pawl springs are toast

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-11-21, 02:00 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

LBS cannot locate springs for this hub. They tried fixing as best as they could, but it is “skipping” again, randomly.
Anyone have a fix?
Apparently the 9-sp and up parts are not compatible.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-21, 02:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Get a new hub or entire new wheel.
Old 03-11-21, 02:53 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Originally Posted by Iride01
Get a new hub or entire new wheel.
Well, yes, but I would like to avoid rolling the dice on another used wheel, even if it IS Shimano, which would be my choice.....
Old 03-11-21, 03:04 PM
th0m

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/onli...-etc/fh-re014/
Old 03-11-21, 03:11 PM
Surfer77

thanks. I emailed them to see if it fits 8-speed (i dont have the campy part number).
9-speed and up are avail in USA at $3.00 each!
Old 03-11-21, 03:15 PM
th0m

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer77
thanks. I emailed them to see if it fits 8-speed (i dont have the campy part number).
9-speed and up are avail in USA at $3.00 each!
Looking in the 1994 spare parts catalog, they should be correct for an 8-speed hub.
Campagnolo Spare Parts Catalogue - 1994 Product Range page 43
Old 03-11-21, 03:29 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by th0m
Looking in the 1994 spare parts catalog, they should be correct for an 8-speed hub.
Campagnolo Spare Parts Catalogue - 1994 Product Range page 43
oh, you looked it up for me! thanks so much!
I had not been able to find that parts catalog!
Robin
Found them here in USA with the Campy part number! $8 each instead of £15 each, thank you so much!

Last edited by Surfer77; 03-11-21 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 03:06 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
You could try Merlin Cycles in the UK. They seem to keep a lot of stock of old Campy stuff and were able to repair my circa 2000 Ergo shifters.
Old 03-12-21, 07:43 AM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
You could try Merlin Cycles in the UK. They seem to keep a lot of stock of old Campy stuff and were able to repair my circa 2000 Ergo shifters.
yes, they DO have the correct spring. But I was able to find them here in USA once thOm gave me the part number! Posting small packages from overseas has not been working well for me. Our postal service is a mess. Lost a Campy 18t cog from Germany.
But thank you for the suggestion!
Best,
Robin
Old 03-12-21, 07:59 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
If your LBS has a Quality Bike Products account the springs are QBP # FW9805.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 03-12-21, 08:53 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
You may need to question your LBS's motives. If they are in QBP and there's a Campy reference as well... just saying.

Having just rebuilt several 8sp and 9sp Campagnolo freehubs, I can confirm that the 8sp uses 3 individual springs with 3 pawls whereas the 9sp uses 3 pawls with a circular spring. Both require periodic cleaning with light lubrication (usually a thicker synthetic chain lube).
Old 03-12-21, 04:38 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
You may need to question your LBS's motives. If they are in QBP and there's a Campy reference as well... just saying.

Having just rebuilt several 8sp and 9sp Campagnolo freehubs, I can confirm that the 8sp uses 3 individual springs with 3 pawls whereas the 9sp uses 3 pawls with a circular spring. Both require periodic cleaning with light lubrication (usually a thicker synthetic chain lube).
Perhaps! I usually do my own work, but I could not find any rebuild instructions on this freehub. Plus they have given me some freebies, so I thought I would give it to them to them to repair. I AM curious that I, with this forums help, was able to find the part, yet they could not.
Perhaps ypu could point me to a Youtube tutorial or overhaul reference? it would be much appreciated!
-Robin
Old 03-12-21, 05:12 PM
gkamieneski

Most freehub videos are for 9 speed Campy and Fulcrum freehubs. The only one I know for 8 speed is here,

It will show you how the pawls and springs are inserted but the author is reluctant to mess with the 2 sealed bearing inside the freehub. If your's still seem smooth, I wouldn't mess with them either. If they are grinding or showing play then you would have to punch them out and source and replace them. The inboard bearing is a particular pain because a circlip needs to be removed and then it has to be punched outward in the same direction as the outboard bearing. Often it is only the outboard bearing that requires replacement fortunately and you may be able to avoid dealing with the circlip.

9 speed freehubs are much easier to work on as the pawls usually stay in place under the circular spring.
Likes For gkamieneski:
Old 03-12-21, 05:45 PM
Surfer77

thanks so much!
I will be sure to update on how this goes!
Old 03-13-21, 01:52 AM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
If you do not have the Campy pawl retainer tool, dental floss works good to keep the pawls in place during re assembly.
Likes For Ross200:
Old 03-13-21, 08:36 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer77
Perhaps! I usually do my own work, but I could not find any rebuild instructions on this freehub. Plus they have given me some freebies, so I thought I would give it to them to them to repair. I AM curious that I, with this forums help, was able to find the part, yet they could not.
Perhaps ypu could point me to a Youtube tutorial or overhaul reference? it would be much appreciated!
-Robin
It's not uncommon that a LBS isn't able to find odd ball parts, particularly for Campagnolo. Few shops see Campagnolo gear come in, even fewer are actually fluent in it. I know my favorite LBS always likes to see my bikes because they are about the only Campagnolo bikes they get in the shop.

One of the best sites to get Campagnolo information is Campagnolo's own support site. They have parts catalogs that go back to the mid-90's, and have the technical manuals for setting up and overhauling most of their components. Unfortunately it seems like they have trimmed down the tech manuals to cover only the last couple of generations.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 03-13-21, 09:00 AM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by Ross200
If you do not have the Campy pawl retainer tool, dental floss works good to keep the pawls in place during re assembly.
Definitely. I had meant to mention this. Also, sometimes you can partially withdraw the freehub, put the tool on the pawls, and avoid some grief removing the freehub.
Old 03-13-21, 09:18 AM
gkamieneski

Also, doing the disassembly and reassembly inside a medium sized clear plastic bag can help contain the pawls and springs should they have a mind of their own.
Likes For gkamieneski:
Old 03-13-21, 06:00 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by RGMN
It's not uncommon that a LBS isn't able to find odd ball parts, particularly for Campagnolo. Few shops see Campagnolo gear come in, even fewer are actually fluent in it. I know my favorite LBS always likes to see my bikes because they are about the only Campagnolo bikes they get in the shop.

One of the best sites to get Campagnolo information is Campagnolo's own support site. They have parts catalogs that go back to the mid-90's, and have the technical manuals for setting up and overhauling most of their components. Unfortunately it seems like they have trimmed down the tech manuals to cover only the last couple of generations.
I appreciate the link, thank you!
My LBS, and the head mechanic are pretty well versed in Campy, is an authorized repair, and has the full Campy took kit. I took them for their word, however TWO people mentioned a bike part distributer that has them. So, not sure what to think; they do a lot of volume so it cannot be that, unless the owner had a “falling out” with that distributer = Quality Bike Products!
-Robin
Old 03-13-21, 06:06 PM
Surfer77

Definitely. I had meant to mention this. Also, sometimes you can partially withdraw the freehub, put the tool on the pawls, and avoid some grief removing the freehub.
Fear of springs flying everywhere is why i handed itbto the LBS! Great idea!
Ah, yes! I recall the mechanic mention dental floss when he first rebuilt the freehub. I am guessing you wrap a couple of times, then pull free when reassembled. Also thanks to Ross200
Old 03-21-21, 12:04 PM
Surfer77

Done! Thanks y’all!

New springs installed! The LBS had replaced the outer sealed bearing in the freehub. I made a holder with a pvc coupling. I used a pre-tightened zip tie, held in my teeth, to hold the pawls while i wound dental floss under the zip tie. Remove the zip tie, insert the freehub, and unwind the floss. Of course, it took a few unsuccessful attempts until i made the holder!

Thank you to everyone who contributed, even the dude who said buy a new wheel!

Old 03-22-21, 08:34 PM
gkamieneski

What’s the holder for?
Old 03-23-21, 09:17 AM
Surfer77

What’s the holder for?
I pushed a paper towel down the “holder”so that the top of the freehub was just above the top of the pvc holder. that way both hands were free to hold the pawls in while i dropped the zip tie onto the freehub body and work it down to hold the pawls in.
Old 03-24-21, 11:58 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts

It depends on vintage.

1997-1998 Record Titanium 9 speed freehub. Note individual springs and genuine Campagnolo freehub installation tool. I also have the metal clip which can be used for removal.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 03-24-21, 12:03 PM
gkamieneski

That tool is interesting. Nothing like the locking loop spring tool that cam with my 8-speed with the individual pawls/springs.
Likes For gkamieneski:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.