Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

EBay is out. What are you using now as seller and / or buyer?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

EBay is out. What are you using now as seller and / or buyer?

Old 09-22-21, 03:41 PM
msr_78

Bikes: Too many - most used now Litespeed Gravel & Prorace Hauser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
So any updates on this thread? I used eBay as an outlet for my used parts, pretty successfully I have to say, but they have messed up my account (basically they won't modify the SSN field to US format as the account was opened in the EU 20yrs ago so I cannot validate my personal information) and I've ended up closing it and don't think I'm going to open a new one - spent over a month trying to sort out their f***-up so I don't even want to think what would happen if a buyer tried to scam me or there was some serious issue with my data: lost what little confidence I had in them, tbh.

I was thinking of posting "decent to high-end" stuff in the buy/Sell stuff here (lynskey R150 frame, Fulcrum & Dt Swiss wheels, for example) and was wondering if items for sale see any movement or it's just a very small marketplace and it's more a matter of luck (having someone look for what you're selling). For mtb stuff I'd think Pinbike would be the way to go, right?

Thanks
Old 09-22-21, 04:43 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by msr_78
So any updates on this thread? I used eBay as an outlet for my used parts, pretty successfully I have to say, but they have messed up my account (basically they won't modify the SSN field to US format as the account was opened in the EU 20yrs ago so I cannot validate my personal information) and I've ended up closing it and don't think I'm going to open a new one - spent over a month trying to sort out their f***-up so I don't even want to think what would happen if a buyer tried to scam me or there was some serious issue with my data: lost what little confidence I had in them, tbh.

I was thinking of posting "decent to high-end" stuff in the buy/Sell stuff here (lynskey R150 frame, Fulcrum & Dt Swiss wheels, for example) and was wondering if items for sale see any movement or it's just a very small marketplace and it's more a matter of luck (having someone look for what you're selling). For mtb stuff I'd think Pinbike would be the way to go, right?

Thanks
That stuff reads modern, Paceline forum.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-22-21, 09:28 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by letenn
Has anyone tried Pink Bike? It seems to be mostly newer stuff. I bought a crankset there, but have never sold anything.
I've bought and sold on pinkbike. no problems. Not much of the sort of thing you find here. MTB stuff of course and the road stuff is all newer.
Old 09-22-21, 10:55 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by msr_78

Thanks
The C&V Sales section here is my all time favorite place to buy and sell. You’ll do well on both ends as long as you’re honest and fair.

As mentioned though you look to be selling more modern stuff, and the regular for sale section here, while decent, is not as active as the C&V one.
Old 09-23-21, 02:46 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,862 Posts
You want to think the best of folks, but...

Sellers that cancel a sale after you win a bid and pay. If you aren’t going to accept the consequences of a bid, then simply put it up as buy it now...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-23-21, 02:54 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I have used eBay primarily for purchases but have to say I do better right here. Especially lately, since eBay has raised the fees for sellers . The prices on eBay are high most of the time and deals are few and far between. I do watch for the occasional deals on eBay but don’t find them very often any more. I find that the folks here are fair and no third party gouging like eBay. The few times I sold stuff on eBay , the fees were shocking.
Old 09-23-21, 06:11 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
The C&V Sales section here is my all time favorite place to buy and sell. You’ll do well on both ends as long as you’re honest and fair.
I don't think this needs to be commented on but 100% on the mark.

I'll go to the 'bay on occasion but my main buying route is FB Marketplace. At least you know something about the seller and my experiences have been very positive. For some reason, around here, CL seems to be REALLY expensive.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 09-23-21, 06:15 AM
msr_78

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself

As mentioned though you look to be selling more modern stuff, and the regular for sale section here, while decent, is not as active as the C&V one.
Thanks for the tip, definitely modern stuff, I'll check the Paceline forum then!
Likes For msr_78:
Old 09-23-21, 06:24 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
I started using eBay in 1998 or so, back when you could send money orders - even checks, I think. And it was good and it worked pretty well then, but not so much now. I began pulling back from it when they began taking a cut of shipping, and the fees seemed to me to keep climbing. Now as a seller they insist on paying me through them to my bank account. When I was paid through PayPal, there were options that are faster than what eBay does now. The last thing I sold, a pair of Sidi cycling shoes, I wound up clearing about 60% of total cost, between shipping and fees.

For the last few years I have had much better luck with cycling stuff just selling directly, especially here in the C&V For Sale forum. I still sell stuff via the ClassicRendezvous group and sometimes sell or buy things via the old internetbob group. Fewer fees and less hassle and faster transactions that way, it seems to me.
Old 09-23-21, 06:35 AM
msr_78

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I started using eBay in 1998 or so, back when you could send money orders - even checks, I think. And it was good and it worked pretty well then, but not so much now. I began pulling back from it when they began taking a cut of shipping, and the fees seemed to me to keep climbing. Now as a seller they insist on paying me through them to my bank account. When I was paid through PayPal, there were options that are faster than what eBay does now. The last thing I sold, a pair of Sidi cycling shoes, I wound up clearing about 60% of total cost, between shipping and fees.

For the last few years I have had much better luck with cycling stuff just selling directly, especially here in the C&V For Sale forum. I still sell stuff via the ClassicRendezvous group and sometimes sell or buy things via the old internetbob group. Fewer fees and less hassle and faster transactions that way, it seems to me.
Agreed on the above - I actually opened the account in the 90's too but only started selling stuff a couple of years ago, so I never noticed the uptick on fees, but they were too steep in any case, specially when it also applied to shipping as you say. The last straw for me was trying to update the new information they were requiring only to find it impossible, having to chase them for weeks only to get the same stupid responses an inane help desk from across the globe - clearly eBay is trying to get rid of small sellers, if not on purpose then as a consequence of their global policies - good luck with that I say - small sellers are what made the company; I don't think they're too big to fail, and honestly, if I have to buy (which I try to avoid more and more often) some chinese junk, I'll go to aliexpress: prices are lower and the risk of getting scammed is the same.
Old 09-23-21, 07:31 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Am not a huge seller (couple thousand in a typical year), but have no problem with eBay or the way they have reorganized the pay structure. Fees are about 14% of the sales price including shipping. On small items (15 oz. or lighter when packaged), I offer free shipping, which is baked into the price & generally under $5. On larger/heavier items I split the shipping cost with the buyer- so a crank that costs $8.50 to ship in a Priority Flat Rate bag will cost the buyer only $4.25, not so much as to deter them from buying the item. eBay gives you a discount on all USPS purchases, so it's cheaper than going to the PO. And I save all shipping materials that come to the house, so packaging costs me practically zero- all I pay for is packing tape, bought in bulk from Amazon.

On really big items like wheelsets, frames or complete bikes, I set a flat shipping fee based on my knowledge of how much it costs to ship something cross country (ShipBikes also has a tool to estimate these costs). If it's more (rare) I eat the difference, if it's less (typical) I refund the difference, and state this in my listings.

eBay really is the world's largest marketplace available to a seller of unusual items, so to me, 14% plus extraneous shipping charges are a small price to pay. It's a business, and they have to make their cut. Since the shipping costs are baked into the sum price to begin with, one way or another, no loss or cost to me there. I'm selling items that were previously purchased for projects that went in a different direction or to reduce segments of my collection, not to pay the mortgage. Also should mention that it's been years since experiencing a no pay or problematic buyer, but then I always use BIN/immediate payment with no Make Offer option.
Old 09-23-21, 11:32 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 106 Posts
I still watch Ebay for international stuff, which is where I typically find 1950's and older French/Italian parts. I don't do Facebook, but maybe I should for those things.

I've been very disappointed with Ebay's policies on combined shipping. Seller are apparently now being told to ship to the Ebay facility in their country, then that will be forwarded to the international destination. With the way that is done, there is apparently no more control for managing combined shipping. I was interested in some headset races from the UK recently. Shipping 2 races would be about 16GBP. I was curious what the price would be if I bought all 6 sets, for spares, and the shipping jumped to 38GBP. What a ripoff! The extra items would barely affect shipping costs/size. The seller claimed there was nothing he could do and Ebay has employed scare tactics to keep people from shipping outside of their recommended means.
Old 09-23-21, 08:32 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by b dub
With increasing fees Ebay is not what it used to be.

But there really isn’t a good alternative that I’m aware of.

What are you using to buy and sell bike parts?
Nothing is ever as good as it used to be. Thats the way things go. I compare ebay NOW, to my alternatives NOW. ebay gets me access to global customers, and higher prices, than any of my alternatives. eBay used to be even better, but it is still better than my alternatives.

I've sold stuff here on this forum. Its convenient, it goes smooth, but I always net MORE on ebay, even after deducting fees.

All in all, I know this is heresy, but ebay's fees are pretty reasonable. Would I like them lower? You bet. Have they gone up? Yes. I've been selling on eBay for 22 years, longer than most here. So I remember the "good old days". #1 hit for me was final value fee on shipping. But I have listed items here, that did not sell. Then I put the same item on ebay at double the price (or even more) and it sold.

Open an ebay store, and achieve top rated seller status (not that hard), and you will save on fees.

My. wife and I suffer from "buying disorder". We need ebay or we would become hoarders, NOT GOOD!

You know you have arrived at ebay when you get that pesky 1099.

Other fees I pay right now to sell stuff? 50% at one local consignment shop. Thats right, I pay 50% to just get access to their local customers. Forget global, or nationwide, or even state wide, I just get access to customers in one state, in one town. For this service I pay 50%.

The only reason the 50% shop makes any sense is I can routinely find a lot of stuff that they can sell, stuff where the value isn't high enough to justify the time and effort to sell on ebay. But buy a shirt for $1, they sell for $20, I get $10. Its still a nice margin. The same shirt might sell for $15 on ebay. I'm not taking pictures, writing ads, and subjecting myself to returns, just to get $5 more. And after fees, its less than that. So the $50 shirt, its going on ebay. The $20 shirt goes local consignment, unless I can group a lot of them, say 3 or 4, same brand, same size for $60.

Buy it now, immediate payment required 100% of the time. Buyers are tired of losing out to snipers, and I'm tired of slow pay/no pay customers.

On buying, you are better off finding a local seller in your country as eBays global shipping program is quite expensive. Of course, most buyers know to look at delivered pricing, so only when the delivered price to them makes sense, should they buy.

As far as with all the fees, you can't make money on ebay? Not in my situation. On non-bike stuff I typically make 10 times what I paid for It, after fees. On really great finds, I've made 100 times or even more. Its all about buying right (low) and buying what people want. Bought a Snap-on tool Hawaiian shirt this week for $1. Will sell for $75. Bought another top of the line shirt, in a men's 4X Tall. Wow, its big. Paid $6, it should sell for $200. Do I like Hawaiian shirts? No. Do I wear 4X tall? No. But buyers like them. And so it goes.

Bike stuff doesn't tend to get those types of margins. On the other hand, the selling prices tend to be higher.

On bike stuff, my margin is often harder to calculate, as a lot of stuff I sell is left over from various projects. How much did I pay for a left over item? On complete bikes, it can be 2X, 3X, maybe 4X max. No 10X or 100X complete bike sales.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-24-21 at 07:13 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-23-21, 09:11 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

"Oh I filed a complaint but the “buyer” prevailed because I did not pay the extra $0.75 for delivery confirmation and the buyer saw the loophole & exploited it."

Delivery confirmation is a MUST and is free when you print labels on line. High dollar items you need a signature, not just delivery confirmation, which costs a couple of dollars. Ebay's rules are crystal clear. Never, ever sell without delivery confirmation. And get the required signature on the high dollar stuff. The rule used to be $750 gross sale, including shipping on a signature.

Out of thousands of sales, I have only had one where the buyer claimed he didn't get the item. I had delivery confirmation that showed delivery, and ebay ruled in my favor. I had a second one that delivered, but buyer claimed someone stole it off his porch. Like I'm responsible for the security of his porch? Really? Ebay sided with me on that one too. While memorable, two transactions out of thousands, is miniscule.

On FB marketplace, I find it GREAT as a BUYER, lousy as a seller. I've seen some incredible deals on FB marketplace linger for days. As a seller, my #1 complaint on FB marketplace is bikes don't show up in just one category. They can be under Hobbies, and also under Outdoor Equipment, and Sporting Goods, Miscellaneous, and finally, check Fishing GEAR sometime and see how many bikes appear there!

Last edited by wrk101; 09-23-21 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-24-21, 05:36 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 135 Posts
I am with wrk101. We've run several eBay IDs for several businesses since the mid-1990s. eBay has its problems, but it still reaches a broad market at a reasonable cost. Their international reach is very attractive. People complain about eBay's Global Shipping program. I think it is great for a seller. We're shipping a bike to Europe through eBay today. No way I ship that bike on my own. Our responsibility is to get it to eBay in Kentucky. After that, it is out of our hands. That's easy. Shipped a group set to Canada through Global shipping. Buyer claimed he never received it. My responsibility ended with getting it to Kentucky. eBay dealt with it and we didn't have to fight for our money. eBay started offering their Standard International delivery for items up to 6 pounds. No import taxes and great shipping prices. Buyers love that program and we ship a fair amount of items through that program. Our responsibilty also is to get it to Kentucky.

eBay can be a good marketing tool to acquire customers. It is not as good as it once was, but is still pretty decent. eBay IDs used to be able to have .com in the ID. We had one for a business not related to bikes. It drove traffic to our website. You have to be a bit more creative now, but it can still work.

It is not all great though. I regularly keep several eBay IDs for various business initiatives. It also helps to have "seasoned" eBay IDs with solid positive feedback that can be used for a new initiative. A little while ago, I dusted off an eBay ID that I had not used for a couple years. Had a business reason to use it. Logged in and tried listing items, but was unable to. Called eBay who then informed me that the eBay ID had been used in "suspicious" activity in the previous 12 months. Keep in mind, this ID did buy or sell an item in about 3 years. I was told the decision was final, no details would be given of the activity and there was no recourse. Pretty crazy to be accused of something, but not told what you were accused of with no opportunity to defend yourself. If that happened to a main eBay ID, that would be very disruptive.

I do agree that eBay is pushing away small sellers. Some of that is eBay's doing. Some of that is regulatory. eBay, Paypal etc will begin sending 1099s to anyone with $600 or more in sales begining in 2023 for the 2022 year. Stupid and crazy, but not eBay's fault (part of a bill passed earlier this year). I started as a casual seller of comic books around 1995ish while in college. If I was college aged today, I doubt that I would start selling on eBay. I would probably be doing something on Instagram or elsewhere that does not have the formailty of eBay.

As a (somehwat) funny aside, we have a Shopify site that is linked to Facebook for selling. Added a Campy Super Record brakeset on Shopify. Facebook flagged it for violating its rules against selling firearms and weapons (maybe it is a weapon in the hands of Hinualt?). I assume the brake levers looked like a gun. I can't think of any other reason. Dumb. Not eBay, I know, but that sort of illustrates the robotic nature of dealing with selling platforms these days.
Old 09-24-21, 10:41 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I quit ebay a long, long time ago, when they asked for direct access to my accounts. I only buy and do not sell, yet they still wanted access to my accounts! No, thank you. Good bye.

I recently decided I won't buy from individuals, either. Too much information is shared with unknown people during such a transaction.

I only buy from stores - local or online. I only use my credit card because of the relative anonymity and buyer protections it affords me.
Old 09-24-21, 12:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
The solution to all of the issues people have stated is clear.

Stop buying and selling stuff.
Old 09-24-21, 01:00 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

One HUGE advantage to eBay for me that no one has mentioned is "free" upgrades of my keeper fleet.

I have found donor bikes locally with the components I needed. eBay has given me a place to get full value out of the frameset alone, even after fees, I've always ended up getting more than I paid for the bike alone. At that point, I had free parts to upgrade my own fleet. Usually. I end up with more than enough to provide all the consumables too.

I did this on my $15 slap wore out, 1988 Schwinn Cimarron. Love the bike, but the parts were a disaster. I then found a nice full Deore XT bike with little to no miles on it. Those parts went onto my Cimarron and the frameset went on to ebay where it found a good home.

Selling frame sets locally is a non-starter where I live. Zero market. I've upgraded both of my Prologues the same way, one with Dura Ace 7700, the other Dura Ace 7400. Did the same with my Panasonic DX6000 too. It was a mess. I think I see a pattern here....

The Prologues originally were sold as frame sets, where customers typically would have their local dealer build them up with the components of their choice. I've gotten some weird mixes on Prologues over the years.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-25-21 at 08:32 AM.