Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bikes: Low braking potential

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road bikes: Low braking potential

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 10:20 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
Since the OP himself mentioned contact patch being the issue I'm guessing power isn't the problem (although the OP could clear that up....). I'm guessing he's just noticing that narrow, high psi tires won't stop you like fat, low psi tires will no matter what caliper, pads or rims you have.
In DRY conditions I don't notice a difference between my light road bike with Force calipers, and my crosser with 40mm rubber and Avid BB7s. In WET weather the crosser is a better stopper, but discs tend to shine (not literally ) in sloppy conditions.
Old 08-03-12, 10:21 AM
PainTrain
No pain, no gain.

Bikes: Trek 7100, Windsor Fens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before reading that I could have just replaced the pads on my Tektro brakes I upgraded the front to 105. Holy crap what a difference. I have to brake with a light touch now, the 105's are capable of locking my front wheel at just about any speed I've been going while practicing with them.

I suspect they are out of adjustment. Without being snarky to the OP, you do have the calipers set to their 'closed' position as opposed to 'open' for removing the wheel? That's something I had to become aware of when switching to a road bike from a hybrid.
Old 08-03-12, 10:34 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've got Planet X brakes (a weight weenie brake) and even those will lock up my wheel if I squeeze hard enough.
Old 08-03-12, 11:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Since the OP himself mentioned contact patch being the issue I'm guessing power isn't the problem (although the OP could clear that up....). I'm guessing he's just noticing that narrow, high psi tires won't stop you like fat, low psi tires will no matter what caliper, pads or rims you have.
I don't buy this either -- a narrow front tire will still pitch you over the handlebars before it skids.

The OP's bike just needs to have someone competent set up the brakes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-03-12, 12:04 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I'm guessing the difference is not a matter of how well the bikes can stop, but rather how hard you have to squeeze to get the same stopping power. On my wife's hybrid with hydro discs, I can lock the front wheel with a relatively light touch. My Shimano road bike will also lock the front wheel, but you have to squeeze very hard on the lever to do so. Just switched one road bike to Campagnolo and they require much less force to achieve the same stopping power. All of my bikes, however, can throw you over the handlebars if you squeeze hard enough.

Last edited by pallen; 08-03-12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 01:32 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
With decent pads and properly set Tektro brakes will stop as well as any other forged, dual pivot caliper.
Not IME
Old 08-03-12, 01:33 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
OP just doesn't know what he's doing lol
Old 08-03-12, 01:53 PM
Noize4

Bikes: ‘16 Domane 4.6 Disc, ‘17 Bianchi Impulso S-Sport, ‘12 Giant Escape 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other thing that can degrade stopping on an otherwise properly set up bike is over inflating your tires. You're not one of those 140lb fellows riding around with your tires at 140psi, are you?
105 psi tires, 200 pound rider. Bike is factory stock.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
I looked and the brakes are Tektro R540s.

That's the problem - not weight distribution, wheelbase, technique - just crappy brakes. If you want to stop, get rid of this junk and replace them with something that works like 105. Also use Swiss Stop yellow or Kool Stop black pads. You'll stop on a dime
Thanks! I do think looking into a pad upgrade will be key.

I suspect they are out of adjustment. Without being snarky to the OP, you do have the calipers set to their 'closed' position as opposed to 'open' for removing the wheel? That's something I had to become aware of when switching to a road bike from a hybrid.
They're closed, and the bike is pretty new, less than 200 miles. They just kinda suck. I'm squeezing a ton harder than v brakes and stopping much more slowly. Definitely can't lock them at speed.

For those that helped me out, thank you very much!

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
OP just doesn't know what he's doing lol
Says the guy who proudly registered the SN "Mazdaspeed", which is a complete oxymoron, BTW. Bug off.
Old 08-03-12, 02:01 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have Tektros on my new bike too and am less than thrilled with their performance. I do think a pad upgrade is in my future, too.
Old 08-03-12, 02:03 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Guys, tektro calipers suck, don't waste your money buying expensive pads for them when you can buy a set of way better brakes with pads all across the internet for not much more.
Old 08-03-12, 02:04 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize4
Says the guy who proudly registered the SN "Mazdaspeed", which is a complete oxymoron, BTW. Bug off.
Piss off, noob
Old 08-03-12, 02:06 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
uhm cough,,bs, cough, cough, bs, cough.

Push your weight back as far as you can, butt off the back, torso pressed on seat, and endo'ing is not a concern. You can stop a racing bike very quickly like that.

watch the Rabobank rider.

Freire stopping like the boss that he is.
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
They just kinda suck. I'm squeezing a ton harder than v brakes and stopping much more slowly. Definitely can't lock them at speed.

Then there's a problem, you should be able to lock them, and to modulate them short of locking them.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
Guys, tektro calipers suck, don't waste your money buying expensive pads for them when you can buy a set of way better brakes with pads all across the internet for not much more.
(Legitimate question) - So you're saying Ultegra brakes with stock pads will out-brake Tektro's with Kool-Stops?
Old 08-03-12, 02:11 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
incorrect.

weight distribution is more important than wheelbase here.
The degree of importance of weight distribution in stopping a bike on the road is inversely proportional to its wheelbase. Short wheelbase, highly important; longer wheelbase, less important. I assure you that, when I ride my Felt TK2 in traffic, I wish I had longer arms.
Old 08-03-12, 02:11 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I don't buy this either -- a narrow front tire will still pitch you over the handlebars before it skids.
That's not true. Push your weight back far enough and you can skid a front tire without endo'ing.

I'm not recommending you do this because front skids on a road bike are very difficult to recover from, but it definitely can be done.

Again look at Freire. He actually skids the back wheel a touch, and is on the edge of locking the front wheel, and is no where near flipping over. It's a matter of getting your weight far enough back.
Old 08-03-12, 02:12 PM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
(Legitimate question) - So you're saying Ultegra brakes with stock pads will out-brake Tektro's with Kool-Stops?
If the arms of the Tektro's are flexier than your brake cables, then yes.

But that seems unlikely.
Old 08-03-12, 02:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The degree of importance of weight distribution in stopping a bike on the road is inversely proportional to its wheelbase. Short wheelbase, highly important; longer wheelbase, less important. I assure you that, when I ride my Felt TK2 in traffic, I wish I had longer arms.
Have you tried the chest on the seat, butt over the rear wheel approach? It gets your weight plenty far back, even on the shortest wheelbase bike.
Old 08-03-12, 02:40 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Yes, overall power and modulation will be better. Shimano has recently changed their pad compound and ultegra brakes flex considerably less than any tektros I've used. There's a reason tektro brakes are equipped on bikes to save money and you never see them on higher end bikes. I'm not a fan of kool stop at all, either, I think there are much better modulating pads out there that aren't prone to squealing. A lot of the key too is having them properly set up. I can't speak for anyone else's bikes or mechanical abilities so I can't say everyone will have the same experience I have. FWIW I have a set of old old first gen ultegra dual pivot brakes with ebay OBX pads and with the rim I'm using, they can easily lock the front tire up at scary high speeds if you use some strength. It's nice only needing a finger to slow down most of the time.
Old 08-03-12, 11:39 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To the OP:
Can't believe no one mentioned that he probably wasn't/won't be going as fast on his hybrid than he would on any road bike.

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
That's not true. Push your weight back far enough and you can skid a front tire without endo'ing.

I'm not recommending you do this because front skids on a road bike are very difficult to recover from, but it definitely can be done.

Again look at Freire. He actually skids the back wheel a touch, and is on the edge of locking the front wheel, and is no where near flipping over. It's a matter of getting your weight far enough back.
I noticed he pushed his heals down too, I guess this help keeps you butt from flying over the bars @ higher speeds.
That was an awesome E-brake!
Old 08-04-12, 06:57 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I had the same setup as the OP. New pads helped substantially. Braking from the hoods still gives less stopping power (meaning - have to squeeze harder) than my hybrid w/v-brakes. In the drops I'd say performance is about the same.
Old 08-04-12, 02:32 PM
remixity
annoying zzz sound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Ultegra brakes on aluminum rims with Vittora Rubino Pro Slicks, and earlier this week when someone was about to run directly into me with five feet in between us, I squeezed only the front brake from the brake hood and did an end-over the handlebars @ 18mph. Good thing I did endo, because the collision took off a chunk of my Ultegra brake-shifter where my right index finger should've been. Anyway, the front brake is very very strong. Usually, people only skid on their rear tire because the weight shifts onto the front wheel and off the back wheel when decelerating quickly. But if you brake hard on both wheels, you should have very good braking response.

Last edited by remixity; 08-04-12 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-04-12, 03:37 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
In performance car world, a sports car is lightweight, fast, decent handling, and has great stopping power.
In performance bike world, a road bike is lightweight, fast, decent handling, and has poor stopping power.
In normal conditions if you slam on the brakes of any sports car, you'll engage the ABS (if so equipped). This is because the brake's power far exceeds that of the tire's traction to the ground.

On any car, if you can engage ABS on dry level pavement, your brakes exceed your tires' performance. On my previous car I went from having 225/245 front/rear tires to 275/315 front/rear tires in an effort to improve both braking and cornering traction. It certainly gave me more traction to the point where I scared myself in turns. I could still engage the ABS pretty easily, but I had more stopping power overall.

I think the comparison is unfair though. On a bicycle you need to balance. In a car you don't.

So let's just shift the comparison to a sport bike (or whatever motorcycle deemed similar to the Trek). Again, if you slam on the brakes 100% you'll lock the rear tire and either skid or flip over the bars. Again the reason is that the tires have less traction than your brake pad does on the braking surface.

Likewise, if you slam on the brakes of your bike, you'll skid the rear or flip over the front. This isn't a function of the brakes, it's a function of balance and tire traction.

With a relatively limited range of tires (and therefore tire traction) in a road bike size, you need to deal with balance and maximizing the traction of the tires you're on. This means shifting your weight back when you brake to prevent rotation around the front axle, similar to why some cars have anti-dive geometry on their brakes and why motorcycles have their calipers positioned to minimize front end dive.

Even relatively poor quality brakes (reasonably new) will flip you over the bars or lock up a rear tire. It'll take more hand pressure but it'll happen. The difference will come when you're trying to brake hard in less than optimal conditions, like if you got caught flat footed on the hoods (and not the drops), if it's raining, etc.

Brake pads make a huge difference in increasing stopping power for a given hand pressure (at the lever). Good brake calipers to to - the dual pivot design is a long-lever design, kind of like the V brakes are long lever relative to the regular cantilever brakes they replace. By themselves the V brakes don't stop better but you need much less hand pressure to exert the same stopping power to the rim.

Shifting your weight back is key. In really close situations you can even trade your own inertia to let the bike stop quicker - think of a stoppie on a motorcycle, where the forward energy of the motorcycle is translated to an upward one. This absorbs some of that forward energy, allowing the motorcycle to stop a bit quicker. Your bike allows you to do the same thing. It's easier on the V brake bike (it's a lot of fun to screech to a stop with the back tire 6 inches off the ground) but you can also do it on the road bike.