Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why aren't aero-bars standard?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why aren't aero-bars standard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 10:31 AM
feltboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I can defitelely see it is still a very debateable subject. A rider I know who used to ride with provincial teams before is adamant about the standrd road bike set up as well and we often have these same discussions.
For me I did a 50km ride yesterday. I tired standard road riding but I ended up with a headache and sore shoulders but I was ok on the bars. I think in my case I realized I got the aero bars more for my physical back and shoulder limitations. Strong legs but weak back and shoulders.
I did hear though that a lot of tri riders prefer the road bike with aero bars, or a time trial bike, as was mentioned before on the thread because the relaxed seat post angle is better in providing leg power for hills.
Old 08-13-12, 10:35 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
I passed over 50 minute on my ride in Norcal yesterday - on aerobars. Then I got passed by 2 guys - with aerobars.

You just need to ride in an area with more strong triathletes, like Norcal or Socal.
That's because all the really fast NorCal guys were racing Dunnigan Hills, without aerobars.
Old 08-13-12, 10:39 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
That's because all the really fast NorCal guys were racing Dunnigan Hills, without aerobars.
But that's just because they wanted to steer clear of hhnngg1.
Old 08-13-12, 11:11 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Hence the personal preference part. If you find them more comfortable, great. It's certainly impossible to argue what someone else finds comfortable for them.

I would say though the riding in the drops for 3 hours straight isn't the comparison. If you need to be going fast enough for 3 hours in the drops, you'd want aerobars for the aerodynamics anyway. Most people not riding with aerobars are using a mixture of hand positions, not just always in the drops.

Well, if you're comparing hoods (not drops) to aerobars, it's not really a fair comparison. You can be even more comfortable with the aerobars if you ride not in aero position, but in full upright position with hands (not forearms) on the pads, which is actually the position I use on all steep climbs since the aero position is not as great for climbing, and that position is as upright as the most comfort-positioned leisure bike (my back is dead straight upright).

I guess the point I'm making is that it's not really fair to compare positions for comfort if one of them is markedly slower in terms of speed, as you could make any setup more comfortable by taking out that aggressive back position. It's just semantics though - sounds like you too would actually prefer aerobars for a 3 hour solo TT type effort for comfort and speed reasons.
Old 08-13-12, 11:12 AM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by feltboy
Wow. I can defitelely see it is still a very debateable subject. A rider I know who used to ride with provincial teams before is adamant about the standrd road bike set up as well and we often have these same discussions.
For me I did a 50km ride yesterday. I tired standard road riding but I ended up with a headache and sore shoulders but I was ok on the bars. I think in my case I realized I got the aero bars more for my physical back and shoulder limitations. Strong legs but weak back and shoulders.
I did hear though that a lot of tri riders prefer the road bike with aero bars, or a time trial bike, as was mentioned before on the thread because the relaxed seat post angle is better in providing leg power for hills.
Actually, while the comfort issue might be debateable, the speed issue is not. For nondrafting cycling, aerobars are faster than road bike drops, hence the use of aerobars in almost all TTs save possibly straight uphill ones.
Old 08-13-12, 11:21 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, if you're comparing hoods (not drops) to aerobars, it's not really a fair comparison. You can be even more comfortable with the aerobars if you ride not in aero position, but in full upright position with hands (not forearms) on the pads, which is actually the position I use on all steep climbs since the aero position is not as great for climbing, and that position is as upright as the most comfort-positioned leisure bike (my back is dead straight upright).

I guess the point I'm making is that it's not really fair to compare positions for comfort if one of them is markedly slower in terms of speed, as you could make any setup more comfortable by taking out that aggressive back position. It's just semantics though - sounds like you too would actually prefer aerobars for a 3 hour solo TT type effort for comfort and speed reasons.
Actually, while the comfort issue might be debateable, the speed issue is not. For nondrafting cycling, aerobars are faster than road bike drops, hence the use of aerobars in almost all TTs save possibly straight uphill ones.
They are still stupid.
Old 08-13-12, 11:48 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
They are still stupid.
Thank you for that well reasoned, intelligent rebuttal.
Old 08-13-12, 12:04 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You need to work on your bike fit and overall fitness. If you're not comfortable riding a normal road bike, getting aero bars will do nothing for you.
Old 08-13-12, 05:32 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

My summary of this debate:

1) Aerobars are absolutely necessary to be competitive in TT's and Tri's.

2)Aerobars are a terrible idea in group rides.

3) It's harder to control a bike riding in the aerobars, due to weight distribution, lack of access to the brakes, and lack of the ability to exercise fine control. Thus they're a bad idea in traffic.

4) Visibility of your surroundings is worse in the aerobars, another reason not to use them in traffic.

5) Properly set up to be aero, they're not very comfortable, for the majority of people. The people who say that they find aerobars to be comfortable, either have a lousy aero position, are more flexible than average,or are masochists.

6) I'm willing to bet that the number of people using aerobars with a setup at least as aero as riding in the drops, that regularly ride in the aerobars, and that actually find that position comfortable is a small percentage of the people who own aerobars.

7) Most people who aren't training for tri's or tt's that have aerobars rarely use them in my observation, which makes you wonder how they can be so confortable and such a speed advantage, yet never get used.

8) A certain percentage of cyclists, mostly people doing long solo rides like aerobars, and if they work for them, good for them.

Beyond not using in a group ride, whether you want to use aerobars is a personal preference. However, the fact that they're not standard equipment, and that most road cyclists, not training for timed events, don't use them, would indicate that on balance for most people, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
Good points.

I have aerobars on my road bike, for the sole purpose of trying a couple of triathlons.
I found them to be a great advantage in my first foray, and if I do a few more, then I'll ditch these and buy a tri-bike.
They're a great was to see if a triathlon style riding is the right thing for a person.
I only use them well away from other cyclists, on straight roads with light, if any traffic.
Once I'm done with this season's last tri, they're coming off. I'm actually looking forward to it.
I am, without doubt, faster & more comfortable on the straights with these.
But handling is twitchy, and they're not for group riding.
Old 08-13-12, 06:27 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I passed over 50 minute on my ride in Norcal yesterday - on aerobars. Then I got passed by 2 guys - with aerobars.

You just need to ride in an area with more strong triathletes, like Norcal or Socal.
LOL Einstein where do you think I live (hint check sig). The reason triguys suck so bad on the bike is because the majority never do intervals and can't handle a bike because of the aero bars. Over and unders are the key to building speed not hunched over all day in a power compromised position.
Old 08-13-12, 07:33 PM
roca rule

Bikes: trek 2.1, scott cr1 sl '06, ridley helium '10, univega gran premio and a look 595.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
The ironman course in new york yesterday had 6000'ish ft of climbing, and I'm sure that Jordan Rapp (who won the event), was on his tri bike.
are you talking about this one
https://ironmanuschampionship.com/fil...tion_20121.pdf
that is a lot less than 6000ft and none of the hills are over 1000ft of elevation.
i thought the original argument was about road bike with aero bars and not tt bikes which are a completly different animal.

Last edited by roca rule; 08-13-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 07:54 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Hhnnmgng is the American Adelaar.
Old 08-13-12, 08:01 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roca rule
are you talking about this one
https://ironmanuschampionship.com/fil...tion_20121.pdf
that is a lot less than 6000ft and none of the hills are over 1000ft of elevation.
i thought the original argument was about road bike with aero bars and not tt bikes which are a completly different animal.
My comment was because you said "Professional road racers chose tt bikes for flattish tt's and road bikes for hilly tt's." I was pointing out that professional Triathletes stick to their TT bikes even on hilly TT's - you're the one that brought TT bikes into it.

As for the elevation profile, peoples garmin units seem to report it as 6000+ft. Map my ride reports it as 3800. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Old 08-13-12, 09:43 PM
canam73

Maybe it's 3,898ft. Like it says on the flyer in the link.
Old 08-13-12, 10:01 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canam73
Maybe it's 3,898ft. Like it says on the flyer in the link.
Or maybe its 6000+ like dozens of altimeters say. Or maybe its 5000, or 4500.

We can pick nits all we want. I don't think it changes anything about what has been discussed in this thread.
Old 08-13-12, 10:49 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
LOL Einstein where do you think I live (hint check sig). The reason triguys suck so bad on the bike is because the majority never do intervals and can't handle a bike because of the aero bars. Over and unders are the key to building speed not hunched over all day in a power compromised position.
Triguys don't really suck at the bike. Sure on average they're not as strong as a equivalent roadie, but a FOP triathlete can easily keep up with competitive roadies, and a podium-level triathlete in a big M30-45 age group can usually train and compete head to head with Cat3 and above roadies.

Now if we're talking about swimming, yes, triathletes SUCK compared to 'real' swimmers. It's not even close for the average triathlete versus the average pure swimmer,. A pack of good junior high school girls from the swimming team would land in the top 20% of the most competitive AG in the swim leg of the triathlon.

You just need to see the faster triguys, not just your casual observations of all the average joes whom you pass easily on the roads. ANd they're out there - you just probably aren't fast enough to catch them on the road so you get your impression of triathletes only from the ones you can pass. A lot of the real fast guys ride road bikes most of the time, anyway. I only bust my TT bike out about 5 weeks or so from race day - I ride my road bike almost exclusively the rest of the time, since I can jump in and out of groups without problem with it.
Old 08-13-12, 11:57 PM
HBxRider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the aerodynamic advantage great enough for them to be worthwhile to use for people who are not riding competitively, but are riding on long, straight, flat trails?
Old 08-14-12, 12:38 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hi everyone. I am a new cyclist from Victoria BC. I rode mountain bikes for a year but now I am enjoying my Felt road bike.
When I got the bike I got aero bars installed on it as well. They are very comfortable and easy to use. I like to cross train between standard and 'time trial' positioning.
However, I am in an unresolved debate with my fellow road riders as to why aero-bar use is not common and standard practice. I don't pack ride. I always ride alone. But I am the only person it seems who rides alone who uses these extra tools.
What is the reason for this?
Forgive me, I am still new to this sport.
Thanks
Mostly, it's tradition. The sport is built around group riding, so when people train, it is with group riding in mind, which means no aerobars. If you are always solo, it's like the old saw about the tree falling in the forest with no one around to hear it. Nobody cares. Yea, you are more aero, but if you are by yourself, does it really matter how aero you are? You aren't racing anyone but yourself, and your own times can be compared on whatever basis you want. Most people don't go for aero bars simply because they are bulky, sort of heavy, and take up the top hand position on the bars. Plus, they are just another thing to buy. Again, if nobody's racing you, then what's the point one way or another?

Also, it is hard to properly adjust a drop bar road bike so that both the normal road bar positions and the aero bar position is in the right spot. Either the traditional road bar positions are too low and the saddle too far forward in order to accomodate the aerobars, or the aerobars are too high for good aerodynamics.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 08-14-12 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 01:55 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
Are we spreading this again? It comes up in every single aerobar thread, and its just wrong. I can sit in my aerobars all day if I want, and it's 0.7-0.8mph faster at the same watts AND more comfortable than a sharply bent elbow drop bar position.
Of course a 20km TT position will be even more aggressive, more aero, and uncomfortable, but that's one extreme. Dial it back a bit and you get a comfortable endurance position that is faster than the drops.
Indeed. It's funny how people insist to post all kinds of opinions on things they have no knowledge of.
Aerobars are a perfect example of this.
There are thousands of triathletes in clubs, myself included, who weekly do grouprides while partially using aerobars.
I don't have exact statistics about those rides ... but I doubt they constantly fall down and hurt eachother.
Old 08-14-12, 02:02 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
You need to work on your bike fit and overall fitness. If you're not comfortable riding a normal road bike, getting aero bars will do nothing for you.
Do you tell handicapped people without legs that they should try harder to walk, too?
Aerobars, for me as a quadrupel back and neck herniated patient, are simply my only option to ride longer than an hour or so.
I find them to be the most comfortable bike handlebar system ever ... especially the bent type.
Do I tell you that your drop handlebar is silly? No I don't ... although I believe that, for me, a drop handlebar is really uncomfortable.
Old 08-14-12, 02:05 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Have you done any competitive triathlons?
If not ... your comment is irrelevant at best.
Old 08-14-12, 05:36 AM
canam73

Originally Posted by jmX
Or maybe its 6000+ like dozens of altimeters say. Or maybe its 5000, or 4500.

We can pick nits all we want. I don't think it changes anything about what has been discussed in this thread.
Would those be the barometric units on a garmin? Yeah, go by what they say for sure.
Old 08-14-12, 05:46 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Hhnnmgng is the American Adelaar.
If by that you mean that he's non-conformistic, speaks his mind, supports his claims with arguments (which you don't, judging from your post I just quoted) and isn't easily intimidated ... then ... yes, I agree
Old 08-14-12, 05:49 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HBxRider
Is the aerodynamic advantage great enough for them to be worthwhile to use for people who are not riding competitively, but are riding on long, straight, flat trails?
Yes.
Definately.
If I can be more aero WHILE being more comfortable ... I don't have to think twice.
Old 08-14-12, 06:44 AM
proileri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have thought that the main aerobar speed benefit comes from tucking your elbows in, so your front section is smaller.

As far as I know, aerodynamic improvement trumps a percent or two in weight savings every time, when you get up to road speeds. In a sport where you spend several hundred dollars to get a bit thicker rims for improved aerodynamics, aerobars seem to give pretty good bang for your buck

Last edited by proileri; 08-14-12 at 06:53 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.