Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Early morning recup

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Early morning recup

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 11:22 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Early morning recup

(How long is your commute?) and: What do you eat & drink when you arrive at work or back home? (autumn / winter season)

45 minutes.
I don't have a set ritual myself. But I will always drink a glass of water, a cup of tea or coffee maybe.
I usually only eat after arriving at work, one slice of bread or a yogurt.
A banana as an afternoon snack.
No special protein bars.
Old 09-28-21, 11:48 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Alarm at 6
Probably actually get up around 6:20
If last night I set laundry to run at 5, put it in the dryer
Stove on medium low under carbon steel pan so it'll be ready for eggs
If last night I set bread to bake at 5, take it out of the bread maker to cool and check work email for a few minutes (I'm on west coast, most of job is on central time and some of them get up early). Otherwise go ahead and make kid lunches now and check work email later.
measure out a pint of water and put it in the microwave for 4:30
Grind coffee and put it in the pour over filter
Start something to go with the eggs - usually a slice of toast with scramble or brown rice with fried eggs
Get some eggs out and usually scramble them with mayo, salt, and something spicy (per Alton Brown 30 second eggs)
Make the coffee, butter the toast. Cook the eggs in some tasty premium butter, last
Eat, some non-work computer time, do more work email or make the lunches if the bread is cool enough to slice.
It's around 7 and the early bird 4yo boy twin gets up. Encourage him to remember to use the bathroom. feed him.
Feed first kid cereal. Remind him he has to have shoes on and be ready to go before he can have his tab
Get caught up in work email and miss 7:20 scheduled wakeup for other kids
7:30 wake up other kids in a big hurry..7yo boy is a real fight to get out of bed. He's not the kind of guy who does what you ask. Usually have to actually pull him out of bed and drag him to the bathroom. 4yo girl twin mostly gets herself up
Get them downstairs, dressed, eating, shoes on before tabs
7:50, Change out of pajamas and slippers for bike shorts and shoes, make sure badge, computer, lunch, pants and underpants are all packed
Make sure kids all have lunches in their backpacks and a change of pants just in case. Don't forget to load own lunch, usually leftovers. Put all four backpacks in truck. Put bike in truck
8:10 monkeys load up!
8:15 drop 7yo at first grade
8:25 drop 4yos at daycare
8:30 park near daycare, ride 5 miles to work
9 office hours
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-28-21, 12:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
17-25 minutes, depending on the lights. I don't eat till noon most days during the week. (16-8 intermittent fasting).
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-28-21, 12:37 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
(How long is your commute?) and: What do you eat & drink when you arrive at work or back home? (autumn / winter season)
45 minutes.
I don't have a set ritual myself. But I will always drink a glass of water, a cup of tea or coffee maybe.
I usually only eat after arriving at work, one slice of bread or a yogurt.
A banana as an afternoon snack.
No special protein bars.
hmm that sounds like too little for me. is this suiting you so far? I tend to eat "breakfast" at home & a snack when I get to the office
Old 09-28-21, 01:03 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hmm that sounds like too little for me. is this suiting you so far? I tend to eat "breakfast" at home & a snack when I get to the office
During the working week I usually only take a warm meal in the early evening, mainly because I like to eat at my leisure. (I'm a slow eater.) That's why I need less in the morning, I think.

I say less.
In the morning, it kinda depends on how I feel, wake up really. Often I do eat some oatmeal with a raw egg (weird thing, I know), or a quick slice of bread / yogurt. But always something to drink.
Old 09-28-21, 01:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Oatmeal carbonara sounds good to me! Scrambled eggs go good in leftover risotto too
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-29-21, 04:14 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
My commute in the autumn/winter morning is about 35 minutes.

I eat/drink nothing before leaving the house. And after arriving at work about 6 am I have two large glasses of water. I typically have two scrambled eggs with veggies mixed in for breakfast made in the microwave at work.
Old 09-29-21, 04:36 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Wake up between 6 and 7 depending when I have to be at work. Shower, get dressed, let the dog out and make a pot of coffee. Feed the dog, drink coffee and choose/prep bike for the day. I leave the house about one hour after I wake up. The commute to work takes between 35 and 50 minutes, depending on which bike I take and how much I decide to cane it on my in. I very rarely have it take 35 minutes, average is around 45 minutes. Get to work, change, and have another coffee. I might have a snack when I get to work, or I just wait until lunch.
Old 09-29-21, 09:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
It's been 9 months since my 28-year commute ended, but it was:

Wake Up 5:15 am

Caffeine and Oatmeal, sometimes more, usually peanut butter on a bagel. And Internet News.

Change into bike clothes and leave at 7:15 am.

Arrive work 8:00 am Cool down and change into office clothes and more caffeine.

Start Work at 8:30.
Old 09-29-21, 10:17 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
It's been 9 months since my 28-year commute ended, .
Likewise for me, my 29-year commute ended 14 months ago. Unfortunately, that wasn't because of retirement...

I had a 23 mile route for the morning and a 30 plus or minus route for the afternoon (usually had to hit the half century since I was close).

Bowl of cereal at 5am. On the road by 5:30. At the building about 7:15, and at my desk by 7:30. Coffee (french pressed my own since I could use the work coffee to degrease my chain) and a snack--pop tarts, bagel, whatever.
Old 09-29-21, 10:27 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
My retired routine: Open eyes and self drag to kitchen. My BIG coffee cup, two cube ice, big dash cinnamon, three tsp sugar, 3oz coffee and mix with frother. Then add one scoop whey protein 24grams protein@ 124 calories. Froth as topping off the coffee cup. Limp to my massage chair. Turn on news. 20 min latter take off the back brace I sleep in as I stand for the day. Next, breathing treatments and take a peak outside. GONNA RIDE! (not far but still a ride). Change, eat some kinda bread, do my pre-flight check list...

Thankfully some of us are more beat up than we look... Ha

Last edited by zandoval; 09-29-21 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-29-21, 03:42 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
Likewise for me, my 29-year commute ended 14 months ago. Unfortunately, that wasn't because of retirement...

I had a 23 mile route for the morning and a 30 plus or minus route for the afternoon (usually had to hit the half century since I was close).

Bowl of cereal at 5am. On the road by 5:30. At the building about 7:15, and at my desk by 7:30. Coffee (french pressed my own since I could use the work coffee to degrease my chain) and a snack--pop tarts, bagel, whatever.
The end of my commute was also not due to retirement. I am working from home and I miss working in an office with other people...and of course the commute.
Old 10-07-21, 08:26 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Up at 6:20. Start the coffee and eat, usually yogurt or eggs.
Out the door by 7:50. Commute is only 3 miles now, so I’m there just after 8:00.
Then get some coffee from work and I’m ready to start the day.

My commute will change when we move. Then it will be up at 6:20. Coffee and breakfast like normal.
Then out the door by 7:10. Bike about one mile and catch the bus at 7:25.
Ride the bus for 35 minutes. Then off the bus at 8:00 or so.
Bike 4 miles to work and arrive before 8:30. At least this is the plan in my head. I have to try it first.
Old 10-11-21, 05:53 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Back in the Before Times, my commute was 8 mi./40 min., leaving at 6:30. I had a big glass of water when I got up, rode to work, cleaned up and ate my steel cut oats (with soy milk, dried fruit, nuts, and usually molasses) with a big mug of hot tea. Oats made in this little crock pot on a timer.
Old 11-07-21, 10:51 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Up at 2:45 am, 12 minutes to shower, then breakfast of some kind (cereal, eggs n toast, instant oatmeal). Little bit of online time while eating. Load lunch (made the night before) into pannier with the day’s clothes (also prepped the night before), shoes, helmet, gloves etc on, load onto bike along with water bottles from the fridge (night before). Stretch a little bit, then out the door by 3:30 am for an 18 mile commute to work. Shift starts at 5, but I’m usually on the clock by 4:45 or so which enables me to get on the road home 15 minutes before everyone else…. Usually in bed by 9 pm.
Twice a week but I’m not super consistent depending on weather/temps/motivation. Trying to commute more but you know how it goes…