Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Let it snow.....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Let it snow.....

Old 10-10-21, 01:37 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Let it snow.....

It's almost time to change back to "Normal" and our XC skiing venue is planning to open on Nov 5th. .
Snow is in the forecast for this weekend — up to 6" — and this morning I checked the venue's webcams.
The venue is at 1625 m, the snow level this afternoon is at 1200 m

It's a good start, eh?!!

Riding the bike? Just add one more layer — 5º C ( 41º F) at 09:00 — along with extra "grin and bear". .

PS Getting a bit of snow on our Thanksgiving weekend is nothing out of the ordinary.
Note to my fellow Canadians: take it easy on the turkey, eh!

Last edited by OldRailfan; 10-10-21 at 02:31 PM.
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 10-10-21, 03:32 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,930 Times in 1,763 Posts
On my ride today, all the peaks surrounding the valley I live in got a fair amount yesterday.

Old 10-10-21, 03:35 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Sweet....just got my season pass to Silverton in the mail the other day. Love me some winter
Old 10-10-21, 03:47 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Way too early to even be mentioning that stuff. It was 81 degrees in NC today and I’m completely fine with that.

There ain’t nuttin I enjoy doing in that stuff. Although I used to take trips out to CO for some winter pleasure.
Old 10-10-21, 04:40 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Wow, old man winter is not wasting time! Here in southern ON, mother nature has other plans and is doing her best to keep old man winter away. Average temps. since the beginning of Oct. is over 20 C or low 70's for our friends to the south.

I can visualize the old Christmas special with Heat Miser and Snow Miser at odds against each other.
Old 10-10-21, 05:46 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
On my ride today, all the peaks surrounding the valley I live in got a fair amount yesterday.

Snow on the peaks down here also.
Old 10-10-21, 08:56 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
Hoping The Little Girl delivers a wet and snowy (above 1500’) winter to the Cascades east of greater Seattle.

edit: 1st snow at Stevens Pass at elevation 4,000’ was overnight.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-10-21 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-10-21, 09:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
That reminds me I need new XC boots. Not a big fan of biking in snow: not enough traction to get a decent workout. Frozen and or muddy trails are fine and we have more of that than actual snow cover during most winters.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-10-21, 09:25 PM
drsmoooth

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts
What the ....., SNOW is a 4 letter word around here. I only want to see SNOW on the news. I stop riding a few days a year when it drops below 65 degrees. Only once did I start a ride at 63 degrees; if did get over 65 during the ride though.
Likes For drsmoooth:
Old 10-10-21, 11:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by drsmoooth
What the ....., SNOW is a 4 letter word around here. I only want to see SNOW on the news. I stop riding a few days a year when it drops below 65 degrees. Only once did I start a ride at 63 degrees; if did get over 65 during the ride though.
We likely won’t see 60* until maybe April next year.
Heat is a ride killer. Air conditioning sucks.
Old 10-11-21, 08:51 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Oh well, looks like a "normal" Thanksgiving Monday.

Good for a ride if and when it gets above 10º C ; presently 3º C
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 10-11-21, 09:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Fat Bike
Old 10-11-21, 09:33 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,645 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Way too early to even be mentioning that stuff. It was 81 degrees in NC today and I’m completely fine with that.

There ain’t nuttin I enjoy doing in that stuff.
"That stuff" is precisely the reason we moved out of New England when I retired. After shoveling "that stuff" off of the garage roof to prevent a collapse (there was over 4' of it on the garage at the time) my wife and I decided SC would be a much better place.
We were correct.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-11-21, 10:01 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
"That stuff" is precisely the reason we moved out of New England when I retired. After shoveling "that stuff" off of the garage roof to prevent a collapse (there was over 4' of it on the garage at the time) my wife and I decided SC would be a much better place.
We were correct.
It's about location, location, location.
The Okanagan has 4 distinct seasons and the hot summers are dry. The needed, desired snow stays in the higher regions — that and 100+ km of XC trails up on Silver Star, from beginners tor experts means "what's not to like!?".

BTW we get a good number of skiers from New England heading out this way, early skiing on good snow. from Nov through Apr.
Old 10-11-21, 10:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,484 Times in 7,316 Posts
Glacier National Park closed much of Going to the Sun Road the other day because of snow.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-11-21, 02:59 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Originally Posted by ofajen
That reminds me I need new XC boots. Not a big fan of biking in snow: not enough traction to get a decent workout. Frozen and or muddy trails are fine and we have more of that than actual snow cover during most winters.

Otto
Me too! Do you know much about boots and fitting?
My wife and I just bought our retirement home which we can't move into yet (not ready to retire) but it's a few hours further north of where we are so a lot more snow. We X country ski and I still love ice hockey so hoping to enjoy that as long as I can.
Old 10-11-21, 03:34 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Me too! Do you know much about boots and fitting?
My wife and I just bought our retirement home which we can't move into yet (not ready to retire) but it's a few hours further north of where we are so a lot more snow. We X country ski and I still love ice hockey so hoping to enjoy that as long as I can.
Not a lot. I got a basic outfit back in my college days and used it a fair amount for the first few years when we had good snow that stayed. Didn’t do so much for a while and the boots got old and didn’t hold together so well. The skis and poles are still fine.

My skis are the 75mm 3-pin type so I will try to find boots of that type. There are two other main types of Nordic bindings.

Oddly enough, we have a local store called the Alpine Shop even though we are in the central plains. XC skiing, OTOH, does make sense here; we have trails that are flat and some that aren’t so flat if you prefer.

Otto
Old 10-11-21, 06:15 PM
gthomson

Originally Posted by ofajen
Not a lot. I got a basic outfit back in my college days and used it a fair amount for the first few years when we had good snow that stayed. Didn’t do so much for a while and the boots got old and didn’t hold together so well. The skis and poles are still fine.

My skis are the 75mm 3-pin type so I will try to find boots of that type. There are two other main types of Nordic bindings.

Oddly enough, we have a local store called the Alpine Shop even though we are in the central plains. XC skiing, OTOH, does make sense here; we have trails that are flat and some that aren’t so flat if you prefer.

Otto
I still have my 3 pin bindings, skis and boots which always served me well and I'm thinking of going back to them because they worked so well. I bought a new set of Rossingol skis, bindings, poles and boots about 5 years ago and they were good to ski on but noticed a few years ago that the boot heel would rub like heck so that after an hour or so, my boot had rubbed a massive piece of skin right off my foot. I tried different socks, 2 pairs of socks but nothing seemed to stop it. The inside of the boot seems fine but something is trying to wear my heel right off.

Not sure what it is so will need to go back and get a new boot I guess.
Old 10-11-21, 06:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,379 Posts
I have my over-70 season pass for Steven's Pass, 64 mile away. Only 3.5" so far but it's way early. Supposed to be a good snow year in the PNW.
Old 10-11-21, 07:43 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Looks like a great area in many ways other than sunshine. Lots of snow also expected in Colorado in the next couple of days, but it could be a big problem for the snowpack this winter. Early snow and usually makes for an unstable base in the southern Rockies, creating a greatly increased avalanche hazard for the rest of the winter. Re XC skis, I'm going to try to get out a lot more this year here in northern New Mexico, and maybe make some trips farther north. I've got Alpina Alaska backcountry XC boots with NNN BC bindings and a couple pair of skis, one with metal edges and a bigger, floatier pair without. We have several areas where people XC ski around us, but can't say it's really big. Only one commercial XC area in the state, Enchanted Forest. Happy Thanksgiving!
Likes For Terex:
Old 10-11-21, 09:52 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Originally Posted by Terex
.................. Re XC skis, I'm going to try to get out a lot more this year here in northern New Mexico, and maybe make some trips farther north. I've got Alpina Alaska backcountry XC boots with NNN BC bindings and a couple pair of skis, one with metal edges and a bigger, floatier pair without. We have several areas where people XC ski around us, but can't say it's really big. Only one commercial XC area in the state, Enchanted Forest. Happy Thanksgiving!
The membership at Sovereign Lake Nordic is just a smidgen short of 3200!
I do a lot of my distance (just over 1000 km last winter) during the week when others have to work. It's nice being retired, getting to pick the days, the time and avoiding the really busy weekend.
Just like cycling I'll set my pace and keep at it.
The plan for the coming season is a) take the action camera along on the brilliant winter days b) carry the bike computer on me to find out just how steep and fast those downhill sections are.
Old 10-12-21, 06:55 AM
gthomson

My US geography is not that good but i would never imagine the location "Mexico" and cross country skiing would ever be used in the same sentence
Old 10-13-21, 11:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
My US geography is not that good but i would never imagine the location "Mexico" and cross country skiing would ever be used in the same sentence
check this out: https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/taos-new-mexico-ski

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-17-21, 09:57 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
As you go up in altitude, it gets colder. . Our house is at 7,600' and we typically get first snow on the ground in September (last year) or October (this year). XC and downhill skiing is done between 8,000 and 12,000'. World class Taos Ski Valley is 20 min. from my house and I've had a season pass for a number of years. With a La Nina dry weather cycle this winter, going to shift to hiking and XC/snowshoeing when snow is available. A season pass at the Enchanted Forest XC area (about 45 min. away) for those 70+ is $52! Numerous other areas for XC and snowshoeing. It's been as cold as -17F at our house but usually not that cold. Winter days are mostly sunny and delightful.

Likes For Terex:
Old 10-17-21, 07:45 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

The ranges around Taos are part of the Southern Rockies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.