Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 11-10-21, 01:28 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Not all cycling on trip…some hiking in Santorini. It was not possible to see the sights and takes pics cycling in Santorini.

Pic from our ship of the Santorini cliff and note the walking /mule path. There are 4 ways to the top - 2 miles/8% grade by bike, hike, mule or tram. Sissies rode the tram.

One of the other cyclists from Nyack, New York from the ship and me powering up the climb. My wife was ahead to take the pic.,

Once at the top, the pics are endless.

Our ship was the small one.

Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-10-21, 02:05 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Looks like a great trip Hermes!
Likes For cmh:
Old 11-10-21, 02:14 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Lovely day to hooky lunch for a little ride. Tried to learn to use the Garmin with the Notio, forgot speed sensor. Should have worked but somehow didn't default to gps for speed, so no CdA. Womp womp. That's fine. I need to use that with the speed sensor always anyway.

Will try again next ride. Either way now about 2mi each way of baby bottom smooth brand new pavement that's mostly flat for testing. Not much traffic either. Plus, it's 1/4 mi from a favorite local brewery I know the guy who owns it I could park at then have a brew after testing! Sweeeeeet. The Garmin autolap based on position WAS working.

So, I feel testing will pick up a LOT soon since it will be super fast to open GC and see the CdA's for the laps data without doing a damned thing.

Task 1 is figuring out what hand grip is faster for me. I want to know that first as that determines which updated fancy extensions I want. Some assume cocked wrist and some "club hands". Some you can kind of buy a grip to halfway do either. But cost being a factor the more affordable sets aren't adjustable for that. So would have to choose which is faster, and if close enough on all then just whichever I like the feel of.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-11-21, 02:58 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
First zoom turbo session of the winter last night. My coach started these over lockdown- they were 3 days/week, just to give people something to do and a bit of structure. Now, with lockdown over and the UK somewhat back to normal, they are just once a week, with potential for a Saturday morning if weather is pants. They are primarily for his coached riders, but non-members can join for a small fee. It was a busy night last night. It's nice doing training sessions with people again.
Likes For rivers:
Old 11-11-21, 03:08 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
90 min of trainer time this morning, splitting my screen between a Zwift session and an educational webinar for work (toxic metals on ICP-MS). That webinar was in excess of 8 for the day and 40 for the week so yes, I did bill that time! On Z - my time was mostly spend around 3.5 w/kg as I rode a group ride and then with the B-paced avatar in Watopia (Bowie Brevet).

My knee is not really holding me back at this point as I was able to ride 4 hours (all zwift) on Saturday, then 2.5 and 3 on Sunday and Tuesday, respectively. Still, I'm taking things slow (relatively speaking) and spending more time strengthening/stretching and recovering than usual while my inflammation in there tends to zero. I saw a Sports Med. doc about a week ago and will get a referral to PT shortly, just to talk to the pros. The Sports Med doc basically agreed with my diagnosis (PF pain/chondromalacia) and treatment/therapy (glute strengthening, VMO strengthening, and of course RICE). I'm no stranger to these sorts of overuse things.

Even though I don't feel urgently about it anymore, it's still good to talk to the experts, get advice/tips and more knowledge so I can integrate exercises and recovery routines into my schedule. It does feel a bit tender and angry at points, but it subsides very quickly, unlike in the beginning when it wouldn't go away.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-11-21, 09:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
9x2’ at 126%. Couldn’t have done a 10th one.

Likes For caloso:
Old 11-12-21, 09:24 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yesterday, San Diego Velodrome. Warmup, 2x4k team pursuits. The pursuits did not seem harder than normal even after weeks of mountain climbing. My sprint is down but that is to be expected. Fabulous weather, sunny temps in the upper 70s with lighter than usual wind. Why did I go to Italy and freeze my ass off? Please do not answer that question.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-13-21, 03:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

4.5 hrs on the hamster wheel this morning, solid z2. Started with the "Audax" for 100 km, then just stayed on course for another couple hours (Watopia's Waistband). Felt good.

Tomorrow, another 60-90 min on the trainer and then some lower body strength work, lunges, deads, step-downs, with lighter stuff in between those sets.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-20-21, 12:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

4 hrs into my 5 hr hamster wheel session... I'm back. 2.5-3h tomorrow, maybe ill go outside for once. Next week I will go light on the bike, but up strength work and sleep. The following week, I'm training, first FTP test of base.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-21-21, 07:18 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I've formally started my next training block, although it's not hugely different from the stuff I was doing the past few weeks lol

I'm doing SSB1 HV (again) on trainer road, although I'm using it more as a template than anything else. For one, I'm replacing the Tuesday and Sunday sweet spot workouts with longer endurance and making the Wed Z2 workout longer than the 60min included in the default plan design. So, assuming I do the scheduled 3hr z2 today I'll be at 12hrs this week. And I'll still be using adaptive training to help drive the sweet spot workouts on Thurs/Sat, so at the moment I'm at 6.3 after doing 2x30 @ 85% yesterday, which to be honest was a bit easy, but I'm not gonna let myself go nuts because it'll get more challenging in late Jan.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 11-21-21, 01:52 PM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Winter training is in full swing. I had an hour and 10 minutes turbo session yesterday that was 2 x 15 minutes at high end sweetspot/lower end of threshold sandwiched between 2 minutes at threshold and 3 minutes at VO2 max. I wasn't sure how I would fare for that session since I'm on 3 weeks post covid, but I survived and was happy with my numbers. Today was a mountain bike/gravel ride with some mates, which was a bit of a laugh. I've got a bit of an easier week coming up because I've just moved house and it's the wife's birthday, so have a bit of work to do around the house as well as plans for her birthday.
Likes For rivers:
Old 11-21-21, 06:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

That time of year. Weight is up. Womp womp. But, power is as well. Run pace is PR's also. Been doing a combined 500 TSS a week for 5 weeks of run/bike. With a ratio of a bit more bike.

I bought more TT crap. One of those Revolver trispoke (not theirs, the open mold one they sell) . Modern width, tubeless ready no tape needed, 73mm deep. Will test it against the HED 9+ and see how it goes. Won't be here from China till early Jan probably. Will test with a 23mm GP5000 as that's the aero idea.

I'm holding breath hoping for a Blackfriday sale somewhere on "super extensions". To pair with Wattshop adjustable tilt. Just be done with it. It's the hobby and the talent, so be it.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-28-21, 11:14 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
School and internship are kicking my ass. Treading water. 3 weeks and I am freeeeeeeeeeeeee
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 11-29-21, 06:13 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
CTL is currently 40, up from a low of 9 in September. TSB is -18 and hasn't been positive since September. Running CTL takes longer to build than cycling, and I've been mostly running. I'm down to just over a minute slower than pre-chemo sustainable mile pace; when I started back, it was three minutes slower and I couldn't sustain it longer than about 20 minutes. My first post-chemo trail race is this Saturday, a 20 miler. I'm going to have to resume chemo based on test results, but if the doc keeps it to pills rather than a more aggressive approach, it shouldn't affect me too much.

Just FYI, trail/ultrarunning uses your birthday to determine racing age. The upcoming race will be my last in 60+, I age up in a couple of weeks.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 11-30-21, 07:58 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Fiesta TTT on TT bikes this AM 2x20K. Dead calm at the start and perfect temperature. Not exactly a chainless day for me. Interestingly, I switched to low cadence and rode in my 54/11 and my legs felt much better for the same speed and power. Go figure.
Old 12-01-21, 07:37 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

FTP test yesterday, Fiesta Island. A whopping 30w off my PB, but I had an injury extend my off-season by a bit, and this is my first time testing on my new meter (Favero Duo). When I rode with it and my powertap in parallel (two garmins) it did read consistently 5% or so lower, so some of it is me just re-calibrating my expectations. All in all it went about how I expected, which is not awful.

About to hit the road in a few to get 3hr in before work.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-01-21, 08:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
The Duo read lower than your powertap? Mine always reads a bit higher (I assume due to drive-train power losses, but also, it's an old G3 that is only ANT+, so I can't calibrate it).
Old 12-01-21, 10:04 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by himespau
The Duo read lower than your powertap? Mine always reads a bit higher (I assume due to drive-train power losses, but also, it's an old G3 that is only ANT+, so I can't calibrate it).
One of mine is Ant+ and I calibrate it via the Garmin 530. Ditto with the first-generation wireless SRM I have on another bike.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-01-21, 10:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Almost 3 hours at 210w on the TT bike. Geez. Enough! Good Z2 heart rate the whole time. Only a hair of drift late into session as I didn't choose to eat/drink the last extra and kept at it the last 30min. Entire time back/forth on same road with a solid 10mph cross wind with the disc/90 setup. Good practice of handling.

I am understanding now the move to "club hands" versus cocked wrists for TT. The cocked wrists on my current setup over a longer period (like a 40k) starts to cause some discomfort. I played with hovering my hands over the bars in a club configuration and it was much more comfy.

Revolver open mold trispoke has shipped. Will be here sometime in December.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-01-21, 10:46 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by revchuck
One of mine is Ant+ and I calibrate it via the Garmin 530. Ditto with the first-generation wireless SRM I have on another bike.
Good to know. I recently moved from a Garmin 800 to a 1000 and from a SLC+ hub to a G3 ANT+ hub (got hit by a car). The older combo couldn't calibrate, and whenever I see my Garmin now asking me to calibrate, I just assumed it was talking about the Assioma Duos without looking. If it was paired with the powertap wheels at the time (got the Duos because I wanted the ability to have more wheel variety but still have the G3s, so I'll use them), that would explain some funky results I was getting when Zwifting on rollers when my Garmin was saying my 20 minute average was ~10W less than what Zwift was saying.
Old 12-01-21, 11:13 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by himespau
Good to know. I recently moved from a Garmin 800 to a 1000 and from a SLC+ hub to a G3 ANT+ hub (got hit by a car). The older combo couldn't calibrate, and whenever I see my Garmin now asking me to calibrate, I just assumed it was talking about the Assioma Duos without looking. If it was paired with the powertap wheels at the time (got the Duos because I wanted the ability to have more wheel variety but still have the G3s, so I'll use them), that would explain some funky results I was getting when Zwifting on rollers when my Garmin was saying my 20 minute average was ~10W less than what Zwift was saying.
You do have to pair each power meter with the Garmin. After you pair them the first time, the Garmin recognizes them automatically when they start broadcasting; for the G3, that's when it starts rolling.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-01-21, 11:37 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by revchuck
You do have to pair each power meter with the Garmin. After you pair them the first time, the Garmin recognizes them automatically when they start broadcasting; for the G3, that's when it starts rolling.
Yeah, they're both paired, but I, stupidly it turns out, just assumed that, whenever it was asking me to calibrate the powermeter when I powered up, that it meant it was using the Assioma Duos and didn't bother to check. I'll have to go into the settings and keep better track of which serial number goes with which meter (or just not worry about it).
Likes For himespau:
Old 12-01-21, 12:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

yeah, I found it weird that the Assiomas read lower too. Really it doesn't matter of course as a training tool, as long as it remains consistent.

I have yet to compare the Assiomas to my Saris H3, we'll see how that goes
Old 12-01-21, 12:14 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I started with a PowerTap, and every PM I've used since has read lower, despite any level of training or fitness. I think PT hubs just tended to read higher than some other meters.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 12-01-21, 12:49 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I started with a PowerTap, and every PM I've used since has read lower, despite any level of training or fitness. I think PT hubs just tended to read higher than some other meters.
which is interesting too, since they are purportedly one of the most accurate (on average)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.